• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PC gaming still considered difficult with too much tinkering?

Holy shit, they have to right click something? That's some hardcore tinkering.
You have to *know* that every single time you want to use your wireless headset, you right-click a volume control, choose Playback Devices, and choose the headset. This is what I meant when I said it requires research, because nobody who hasn’t done it before is going to already know that they have to do that, or what to do. And then doing it again when you’re done with the headset. And then figuring out why audio isn’t working in the game when you didn’t set it up ahead of time - you get into the game, go “Oh, I forgot to tell it to output my headset”, and set it up then, no audio, because the game already locked-in its audio output (and Final Fantasy XIV which does that is not a niche game either). And different games act differently.

I’m not saying these things are particularly hard to do, when you know how. But give a casual console gamer this setup, good luck. It is exactly this type of situation that gives PCs a reputation of being too difficult to use because of all the tinkering required, when a console doesn’t require *any* steps after pairing the headset, other than turning it on or off.

Arulan

This is a difficult discussion to be had when many people would rather resort to petty platform-warrior nonsense.

Gaming on PC is as difficult as you want it to be. It ranges from console-like download and play, to just about anything you can imagine. That's the nature of an open-platform, no one is acting as the administrator on your behalf, and therefore your choices aren't limited to one experience.

It may not be as simple as a console, if only for the possibility of making choices, and the inherit differences of using a flexible operating system environment over that of an entertainment box. That being said, the many arguments of which revolve around this minute difference in convenience as a center point are absurd.

One thing that I don't often see mentioned is the ability to make your own convenience on PC. For instance, I have Steam Links setup in other areas of my home where there is a TV. If I don't want to play at my desktop, I can pickup my controller and take it anywhere in the house where there is a display and just start playing. Not too long ago I setup Dolphin so that I could play The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker with a single click anywhere in the house.

MazeHaze

Banned
You have to *know* that every single time you want to use your wireless headset, you right-click a volume control, choose Playback Devices, and choose the headset. This is what I meant when I said it requires research, because nobody who hasn’t done it before is going to already know that they have to do that, or what to do. And then doing it again when you’re done with the headset. And then figuring out why audio isn’t working in the game when you didn’t set it up ahead of time - you get into the game, go “Oh, I forgot to tell it to output my headset”, and set it up then, no audio, because the game already locked-in its audio output (and Final Fantasy XIV which does that is not a niche game either). And different games act differently.

I’m not saying these things are particularly hard to do, when you know how. But give a casual console gamer this setup, good luck. It is exactly this type of situation that gives PCs a reputation of being too difficult to use because of all the tinkering required, when a console doesn’t require *any* steps after pairing the headset, other than turning it on or off.
But what about the argument that on pS4, the only headset you can even pair to it is the 100 dollar Sony one?

How much tinkering does it take to get a regular Bluetooth headset working? Is it even possible?

I enjoy tinkering and getting things to run. I find Steam the cheapest store to buy from with the best sales. I use a i7 Surface Pro so I'm not getting the best graphics though. For me, Civ 5 and 6 on a tablet is so awesome. Endless Space 2 also. But to get Civ6 and ES2 running it took a lot of tinkering.

I built my first gaming/work rig early this year (6core, GTX1080, 32gb Ram, etc). I'd say all in all it's maybe 10% more fiddling than a console but it also brings so many more benefits which I didn't previously anticipate.

The thing that I thought would be the most prominent was the least. Graphics. Yes games look "cleaner" and run faster, but I thought I would be getting more features that would be totally unavailable on consoles. This hasn't been the case mostly.

What is absolutely evident is stuff like loading time. When I go back to consoles, I don't know how I ever dealt with that. Another is definitely price. Games can always be found for cheap. Last of all I'd say the convenience of having a unified game library with games across various "generations."

I've encountered no more "bugs" or hangups that what you already get in consoles, and the times it does happen you can always find an easy fix online.

Edit: Btw I play on PC as I do on console. With a Xbox One pad and hooked up to my 60inch plasma. Sometimes I use my monitor when I want to play Ultrawide.

Tain

My stance here is the same as it has been for years: PC gaming is absolutely less obvious and convenient out-of-the-box, but I'm comfortable generalizing and saying that most enthusiasts (like, into gaming enough to post on GAF) would get more out of a gaming PC than any single console or handheld.

I think this thread is doomed to go on and on forever

It'll always be a raging topic every time it comes up.

JWiLL

Banned

All you have to do is click the volume icon on the bottom bar and select the device from the drop down.

Again, this particular example is what I'm arguing against, not that the platforms are equally accessible.

You're suggesting that being a casual console gamer makes that person a technologically illiterate dumbass to the point where they can't figure out that control for a sound device is likely through an icon that looks like a speaker.

Thankfully, if it's not immediately apparent, they're on a fucking computer where they can search for the solution in less than a minute.

Then again, this casual console gamer from your example probably doesn't have functioning internet on his PC, since it would require clicking the little network icon beside the speaker and typing in a password, which is monumentally challenging.

bobone

Then I bought a PC 4 years ago. Windows 7, i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, 780ti. Windows preinstalled.

First off you bought a $700 video card, which is double the cost of the current consoles by itself. It's much easier to avoid tinkering when you're running the most powerful tech out there.
Also, I personally enjoy the tinkering, and even tho I have always used fairly high level video cards in my computers I love messing with settings and seeing how it effects performance.
If I wanted to just play the game I certainly could just click the high settings button and be good to go, but for me that's part of the fun.
And yes, the physical build process is MUCH easier than it used to be, but that whole process is also part of the fun for me.
If more people would give it a try they would be converted to the PC side in sure. Worst case scenario you just watch a few youbtube videos, trouble shoot, and be good to go.

Budi

For the "PC's don't need tweaking" crowd, what's the ideal endgame you're hoping for from this thread? Are you hoping to just convert the NeoGAF console crowd, or ALL console gamers? And what's the problem with the people who ran into actual issues recently with PC games (e.g. 2016 DOOM, Forza 7), is it a "they did something wrong and no true PC gamer ever has to troubleshoot" thing?
As another poster said, to clear misconceptions. Like we STILL have people thinking (or trying to spread this false narrative, don't know why though) that you can't play PC hooked into your TV, being comfy on your couch, using a controller.
Both side? Have you ever seen a thread on GAF saying "hey PC gamer, why not play on console"?
Well yes, plenty of times. Take a look at this thread for example http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1313559 And the "except for all the reasons" part in the thread title was added by a mod =P And that thread is way worse than this one, since it blatantly says that nobody should be building/buying a budget PC but to get a console instead.

Timu

Because overwatch still runs at 50fps on lowest settings on my i7, GTX 1070 set up. And I’m not the only one.

Not saying PC isn’t great, but some people just don’t want the hassle and enjoy a closed environment that has less bugs.
At what resolution? I have an i7 and GTX 1070 and the game ran fine even at 1440p.

bushmonkey

Neo Member
I used to be a massive PC gamer. I went from my Amiga in my early teens to a Pentium 120 and never looked back.

I had consoles but they were always a side dish to my PC. I played every game going but I realised years later that I never really played games.
I was always tinkering, trying to squeeze a bit more out of my PC. Never satisfied until it ran perfectly on the highest setting. I would then get bored and move on to the next game I could tinker with. I thought I was happy. The last game I remember doing this with was Oblivion. I thought that's what gaming was... Until the Xbox 360.

The ease of use, the fact that games just ran and the killer app for me: Achievements. I couldn't play games for the sake of just playing the game anymore. It had to work towards my achievement count. And I started to really enjoy games. I moved on from achievements to trophies when my 360 died and I couldn't retrieve my account. It was linked to an old hotmail account I had long forgotten the password to. It was a blessing in disguise as a year later, the PS4 came out and it wasn't a hard decision by then to switch.

I still have a PC. I'm a developer and I enjoy making my own games / art in my spare time so I will always have a PC but I don't feel like playing on PC anymore. And I've tried. I heard years ago about how Steam changed things. How it was different now. And maybe it is for some gamers. But I have a problem: I can't help but tinker.

I have once in a while attempted to give it another shot. When mods for Skyrim came out. When Dayz was all the rage. But I still prefer playing on console. I don't deny PC gamers their pleasure of having the best graphics, most amount of games, mods etc... But I'm not one of you anymore. I'm a console gamer now. We can still be friends. Just not as intimate as we used to be.

fantasyGG

Neo Member
They don't? You get a notification of a new patch, you download it, done. No need to modify .ini file, no need to download .dll file. I cannot launch Dark Souls on my PC. I cannot get pass the title screen. It never happened to me in my 15 years of console gaming experience.

That's because PC got a bad port of the game. Nothing to do with the platform.

You're suggesting that being a casual console gamer makes that person a technologically illiterate dumbass to the point where they can't figure out that control for a sound device is likely through an icon that looks like a speaker.
No, I’m suggesting that this is a form of tinkering that is required to get a wireless headset to work on PC, that isn’t required on PS4 or Xbox One. It is more work, and requires research (and no, a submenu in a volume control is not an obvious place to enable headsets). I’m not saying people aren’t smart and can’t figure it out, I’m saying they don’t *want* to have to figure things like that out, when on console everything just works, and it always works the same, so any time they do have to research how to do something, all the answers they get apply to them, without having to worry about their version of Windows or driver updates or whatever.

Hell, I’m a game developer and I didn’t know you could do that “drop down” trick. I thought that was just the name of the current playback device, I didn’t know you could click it and it would give a list you could choose from.

I'm neither old nor confused, just impatient. How about that

No, but with a console, they will work automatically. I have very few PC games that worked instantly, no tinkering or troubleshooting required, with almost any controller I've used (DS3 and DS4 lately, I used a 360 controller before but I hate it and avoid it). And for my PC to connect to my TV I'd need to do a lot of furniture re-arrangement that I sure as shit don't want to do.

They are not comparable. People need to get this through their thick skulls; when someone says "I want my controller and couch" they are not saying "it's impossible to have those things with PC gaming", only that they are not practical or trivial to setup for them.

See my earlier post for some examples. And those are recent games purporting "full controller support" too! [Fake edit: ok, Trails 3rd is "partial", but fuck, it's originally a console/handheld game, ridiculous that it's not full support]

lol, I remember that that thing. It was a piece of dogshit that didn't work with most games in the late 90's, and even had trouble working right with console emulators. It was better than nothing, but that's it.

Edit:

Guys, why does PC gaming/gamers get a bad rep again

I'm with you. I yearn for the simpler times. All I had to do was blow on a cartridge if it didn't immediately work back in the day. Have to agree with the bolded too. It's not like I couldn't do these things if I just sat down and worked through it. I'm just tired/impatient and want things to just work.

univbee

Like we STILL have people thinking (or trying to spread this false narrative, don't know why though) that you can't play PC hooked into your TV, being comfy on your couch, using a controller.

You're technically correct (the best kind) but the statement's a deceptively complicated one and doesn't mean the same thing to everybody. Like there's a difference between doing that with Witcher 3 (great experience and the way to play it if you can) and doing that with Overwatch (throwing yourself to the keyboard wolves). You also can't completely cut off keyboard and mouse for various reasons, it's going to have to be used sometimes and it's often impractical in certain living room environments.

ViolentP

So I just plugged my PC back in after a few weeks hiatus and in the last hour, I have updated all my drivers, updated all my Steam, Battle.net, and Gog games, and updated my Windows installation. I reviewed my overclock settings and ran a benchmark. Everything came back green.

It's a level of maintenance many aren't interested and I get that. For me, it is worth doing occasionally to ensure I can load up any game, raise settings to max, and play the best version available to me without worry. You get out what you put in, you know?

I play on Consoles, PC, and handhelds, but I find it funny when people post about how things "just work" when playing games on a console with downloads, updates, etc.

Just in the past months there have been problems with hard drives corrupting, game crashes, and completely losing all your progress just by updating your games on PS4.

Shit happens.

Mooreberg

Zero problem with PC hardware. Major, major problems with Valve & co. customer service. Pretty close to never spending another dime there if they don't correct trade/marketplace scamming issues. It is amazing how terrible that company has gotten.

TaterTots

Banned
Eh, I find PC gaming pretty easy. Most difficult thing was building my first PC on my own, but I did it right on the first try. My PC is hooked up to a 60 inch television in the living room. I use a Xbox One controller for fighting, racing, and platformers. Isometric games(Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Divinity, etc.) I just use a wireless mouse with buttons programmed. Only time I get kind of uncomfortable is when I play a long session in a FPS. I try not to use a keyboard as much as possible.

Fredrik

First off you bought a $700 video card, which is double the cost of the current consoles by itself. It's much easier to avoid tinkering when you're running the most powerful tech out there.
Also, I personally enjoy the tinkering, and even tho I have always used fairly high level video cards in my computers I love messing with settings and seeing how it effects performance.
If I wanted to just play the game I certainly could just click the high settings button and be good to go, but for me that's part of the fun.
And yes, the physical build process is MUCH easier than it used to be, but that whole process is also part of the fun for me.
If more people would give it a try they would be converted to the PC side in sure. Worst case scenario you just watch a few youbtube videos, trouble shoot, and be good to go.
Just to answer that bit. I've never said that it isn't expensive, I honestly think it's crazy expensive since I always want great performance.

Is it the price that is the problem over here though? I see console people buying OLEDs for $3000 to get perfect black like it was completely essential and I see people owning every single console, sometimes Slim/Pro versions too. So I don't know, personally I doubt that money is the issue why they aren't gaming on PC.
I actually made a thread not long ago about the cost to enter the 4K era on consoles. It's not cheap. :/
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1413477

What's surprising me is the talk how PC gaming is about downloading dll-files and tweaking ini-files etc. That's just not the norm nowadays unless you're extremely unlucky or seek out to do those things yourself.

I own over 150 games on Steam and not one game has forced me to tweak something before playing the game, so from my perspective it seems a bit exaggerated to state that tweaking to play is the norm on PC as we've seen many times in this thread.
Maybe the thread title is making those type of people post more, I don't know. Personally I just double click on the game icon to play, maybe plug in a controller too if it's that type of game, and that's it.

Wireless keyboard+trackpad is an easy inexpensive solution

Yep. I use one of these cheapo Logitechs and it works just fine to do things that absolutely require a mouse (when not in Steam Big Picture mode).

wireless-touch-keyboard-k400-plus.png

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400-plus?crid=27

Head.spawn

It's not as bad as some people make it out to be or as easy as others brush off.

It takes a bit of due diligence for some things

MilkyJoe

This isn't required. These are people troubleshooting to try and improve an experience with their current hardware.

If a console game has FPS issues you're forced to live with it - that guy chose to go the extra mile with options available to him.

I'm assuming a "good rig with an nVidia gpu" would be a far stronger piece of kit than the One X, which doesn't drop a frame. So something is up there, and I doubt it's their current hardware.

It's not as bad as some people make it out to be or as easy as others brush off.

It takes a bit of due diligence for some things

True story.

easier to just plug in a xbox or ps4 to the tv and have it sit on your TV stand. I currently take a HDMI and run it to the TV, I then use a wireless mouse and keyboard to browse the Internet. Next I need controllers but need a long usb-3 cord to keep them connected + a USB splitter if couch co-op.

it's definitely easier nowadays but it's not as easy as a console yet

Rellik

easier to just plug in a xbox or ps4 to the tv and have it sit on your TV stand. I currently take a HDMI and run it to the TV, I then use a wireless mouse and keyboard to browse the Internet. Next I need controllers but need a long usb-3 cord to keep them connected + a USB splitter if couch co-op.

it's definitely easier nowadays but it's not as easy as a console yet

No you don't. You just choose the more difficult way. That's your problem.

megathor

It's straightforward, but it's not hassle free. I went to play BF one last week, and had a patch. Once it was patched, I was told I couldn't play unless I updated my GPU drivers. Checked for driver updates, and the GeForce experience decides it needs a standalone update, with a reboot, before it can check for a driver update. When I get the driver update (with another reboot), Battlefield has a UI update to download before I can play the game.

When I finally got into the game, seems like the driver upgrade didn't work, and the game and my browser crashed repeatedly whenever I ran the game. had to go find the the earliest version of the driver online, manually remove the old driver, reinstall the entire thing just to get back to where I was. Total time: 2 hours between waiting, downloading and fiddlign around.

I'm not saying consoles don't have patches, or don't have issues, but when I went home to play destiny on PS4, there was a patch, which auto downloaded when I turned on the console (not when I ran the specific store of the game - origin/gog/uplay/epic), and worked immediately.

my pc is tucked away so the signal strength is weaker. exposed front USBs are being used by wireless mouse and keyboard.

Couldnt you use a USB hub then? Thats what I am using. Put the USB hub on my desk, and most of the stuff is connected to that.

Granted its not easier than a console, but nothing a Gaffer shouldnt be able to do.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Because overwatch still runs at 50fps on lowest settings on my i7, GTX 1070 set up. And I’m not the only one.

Not saying PC isn’t great, but some people just don’t want the hassle and enjoy a closed environment that has less bugs.

You should not be getting only 50fps with an "i7" and 1070gpu. And at lowest settings?? No way.

What steps have you taken to solve this?

I've seen a fair amount of complaints by people who exclusively/mostly game on PC, so of course it's going to be daunting for those who don't often or at all.

I don't really want to be fussed wondering which combination of options would best get my game to run.

And I've followed step by step how to A, get Dsfix to work with Dark Souls, and B, how to get an Xbox controller to work. The latter worked ONCE and the game I tried it with only used it for strafe controls. I'm good.

Filben

Frequency of crashes on the PS4 is increasing since the last few updates. First, I had this with Tekken 7 on my PS4 Pro. Then the other day with Rocket League on the PS4 Pro of my buddy. Just yesterday with Divinity Original Sin on a standard PS4 of another buddy. "Application must be closed due to an error" or something like that.

Never seen such issues before.

But what about the argument that on pS4, the only headset you can even pair to it is the 100 dollar Sony one?

How much tinkering does it take to get a regular Bluetooth headset working? Is it even possible?
I don’t know why I care to respond but almost every USB wireless/wired headset works with PS4. I’ve never tried one that hasn’t between the Sony ones, Corsair Void, Razer headsets, Logitech headsets, HyperX, Steelseries.

Bluetooth is another story but almost none of the wireless headsets actually use Bluetooth. I’ve never actually ever used a Bluetooth gaming headset.

Most of the time when I’m playing on PS4 and don’t need a mic I just use my AirPods which work with a simple plug and play USB adapter, or just use my Xiaomi earbuds. Mic works on the latter as well. Hell we once even hooked up a pair of Powerbeats using the adapter and even the volume switch on the beats worked.

Case in point, your statement about headsets is plain wrong.

You have a far lower opinion of most console games than the PC elitists in this thread. Your average console gamer sounds like this -

450px-Dspwoow.jpg

Gamegeneral

Because there will always be mysterious gremlins that crop up from time to time. It requires more than a hair of basic computer literacy to PC game whereas a PS4/Xbone doesn't. And if your game doesn't work on console for some reason, you're probably stuck. If it doesn't work on PC, you can probably find guides to fix it.

SO yeah, tinkering skill will never not be essential to PC gaming.

I used to be a massive PC gamer. I went from my Amiga in my early teens to a Pentium 120 and never looked back.

I had consoles but they were always a side dish to my PC. I played every game going but I realised years later that I never really played games.
I was always tinkering, trying to squeeze a bit more out of my PC. Never satisfied until it ran perfectly on the highest setting. I would then get bored and move on to the next game I could tinker with. I thought I was happy. The last game I remember doing this with was Oblivion. I thought that's what gaming was... Until the Xbox 360.

The ease of use, the fact that games just ran and the killer app for me: Achievements. I couldn't play games for the sake of just playing the game anymore. It had to work towards my achievement count. And I started to really enjoy games. I moved on from achievements to trophies when my 360 died and I couldn't retrieve my account. It was linked to an old hotmail account I had long forgotten the password to. It was a blessing in disguise as a year later, the PS4 came out and it wasn't a hard decision by then to switch.

I still have a PC. I'm a developer and I enjoy making my own games / art in my spare time so I will always have a PC but I don't feel like playing on PC anymore. And I've tried. I heard years ago about how Steam changed things. How it was different now. And maybe it is for some gamers. But I have a problem: I can't help but tinker.

I have once in a while attempted to give it another shot. When mods for Skyrim came out. When Dayz was all the rage. But I still prefer playing on console. I don't deny PC gamers their pleasure of having the best graphics, most amount of games, mods etc... But I'm not one of you anymore. I'm a console gamer now. We can still be friends. Just not as intimate as we used to be.

Wow, our stories line up nearly perfectly.

I stuck with PC for longer and I came from an amstrad 464 not an amiga. Also I haven't done any coding in years.

But it was so freeing leaving PC gaming behind. No more tinkering, just playing. My gaming time has easily doubled, probably tripled. No more getting frustrated because there was a microstutter on some benchmark. Here's to a tinker free life. Ha.

I do think we're special cases though. Most people aren't compulsively tinkering. They just pick some settings and away they go. In a way I'm jealous of those people, I'd probably still game on PC if I could just relax and play.

I'm so bad, I even bought my most recent TV based on easy it was to get good game settings on it. With my old TV I was forever tinkering trying to get the image perfect..

Top Bottom