• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PC gaming still considered difficult with too much tinkering?

JWiLL

Banned
Not for me. When I turn on my Logitech G/933 (not a niche device by any means), nothing happens in Windows - the headset just turns on (note: not plugging it in, turning it on). I have to tell Windows my default playback device is the headset, that routes all game audio to that headset rather than my speakers. Then when I’m done, I turn off the headset, and now I have to tell Windows my default playback device is my speakers. That’s what a casual user would have to research to figure out how to do, since it involves right-clicking the volume control, choosing “Playback Devices”, then choose the headset and press the “Default” button.

And, in the game I use them the most in, Final Fantasy XIV, I must do that before launching the game, because the game locks in your default sound device at launch.

On a console, the headsets are bluetooth, and once you pair them they just work.

Holy shit, they have to right click something? That's some hardcore tinkering.

Also, you don't even need to do that anymore on Windows 10. Just click the volume icon and select your playback device from a drop down.

I'm not going to argue that PC gaming is accessible as consoles, but some of the arguments put forward in this thread make the average console gamer sound like the laziest, dumbest motherfuckers alive.

I'm not going to argue that PC gaming is accessible as consoles, but some of the arguments put forward in this thread make the average console gamer sound like the laziest, dumbest motherfuckers alive.

Comments like this are one of the reasons discussions about PC compared to consoles usually turn to shit. People here are expressing their personal experiences about having to set up multiple things and such, and they get shat on for being lazy. Mmkay.

Console Gaming is substantially easier and more user friendly.

The setup process is short and intuitive, it also covers pretty much everything you need from the console.

If you don't know how to navigate and use a PC you're going to have a tough time, there are some help functions but they're nowhere near what makes using a console easy.

Most of the time the console is handling all of the updates for firmware and games by itself with minimal user intervention. There's also less options which make for a much more simpler and easier user experience, navigation is also very simple as you're just sliding through menus which are laid out in a simple and easy to understand way, like the Xbox One's OS:

There's also many people who aren't very computer/tech literate, consoles open up a simple and easy way to get into gaming. The thought of navigating a PC terrifies some people, and understanding system specifications can be daunting for some.
I've personally seen this mostly from mature individuals who may not have been exposed to much tech or computers but it's not only limited to those people.

EDIT:

Just to clarify, I game on Consoles and PCs, I also don't find PC Gaming hard, but I can understand why some people do.

I share the same viewpoint. I don't have enough time in my life to mess with a PC. I like the simplicity of plugging in the HDMI cable and hitting power. I want to kick my feet up and just zone out with a game, not fiddle with graphics settings.

Mascot

I was nervous about PC gaming but four months in (and with VR) it's been an absolute breeze, literally no harder than console gaming apart from a right faff I had trying to get 5.1 surround sound through my amp. But that was just lack of knowledge on my part about PC audio.

Wish I'd done it years ago.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't bother keeping my old PCs because I don't need to, since I can run old PC games on newer ones.
...Have you been following the conversation? We were talking specifically about cases where this doesn't work, or it's hard to get to work.
Keeping an old console because you need it to play old games is literally giving up money that you could gain from selling it.
No it's not, because I value those old consoles more than the little money I'd gain from selling them and my retro games.

And what about somebody who never owned these old consoles in the first place?
? What about them?

Well ...

I'd say half of them are.
Guys, why does PC gaming/gamers get a bad rep again

JWiLL

Banned
Comments like this are one of the reasons discussions about PC compared to consoles usually turn to shit. People here are expressing their personal experiences about having to set up multiple things and such, and they get shat on for being lazy. Mmkay.

If occasionally being required to click your mouse 3 times is considered detrimental to your user experience you're probably lazy.

...Have you been following the conversation? We were talking specifically about cases where this doesn't work, or it's hard to get to work.

No it's not, because I value those old consoles more than the little money I'd gain from selling them and my retro games.

? What about them?

I think you're missing the point, which is that you keep old consoles because you need them to play games, and you don't keep old PCs because you don't need them to play games. If it were impossible to play older games on modern PCs keeping old ones would be normal, and likewise if you could be assured that future consoles would be backwards compatible then keeping old consoles would be unusual.

There's also the fact that modern TVs and old consoles often aren't compatible, so you often times have to go through a ton of hassle to get them working anyways, if it's possible to get them to work at all.

MilkyJoe

If occasionally being required to click your mouse 3 times is considered detrimental to your user experience you're probably lazy.

This from the Forza 7 thread

People with good rigs with nvidia gpu and stutters mid race try this:

In Forza 7 profile:

1. be sure the demo exe is included in the exes list (microsoft.forzamotorsport7demo_xxxxxxx)
2. maximum pre-rendered frames = 3
3. Vertical Sync = Fast Sync
4. 0x001208CB = 0x00000010
5. 0x00DE5C4D = 0x00000001

1, 4 and 5 was not there for 385.28 drivers. Maybe are there in newest drivers.

In the game, set framerate target in 60 fps (vsync).

Using task manager or process Lasso (this one to avoid having to do it every time because allows to save settings per process), set forzamotorsport7.exe to high priority and disable the additional virtual core for every core in affinity. I mean, if you have an i7 with 4 real cores:

0 enabled
1 disabled
2 enabled
3 disabled
4 enabled
5 disabled
6 enabled
7 disabled

For me, this setup is near perfection. Using last RTSS beta with a 60 fps lock, improves a bit the framepacing, but can produce a bit of judder in the loading/streaming places of tracks.

And I presume that was trial and error for this user.

Aint got no time for that.

BiggNife

With most games, PC is usually very easy, but there's always some horribly unoptimized shit that requires tinkering and super frustrating trial-and-error. The PC Forza games are good examples of this.

It's basically a ymmv thing. For every person who has had zero issues on PC, you'll find another who is struggling to get a game they love to run at 60fps despite buying high-end parts.

Fredrik

Who has time for that?
And this is me (with a controller) :
1. clicked on the game icon in the start menu
2. plugged in my 360 controller
3. played the game, 60fps locked

And with three screens + steering wheel:
1. Turned on the side monitors
2. Turned on nvidia surround
3. Clicked on the game icon in the start menu
4. Plugged in the steering wheel
5. Played the game, 60fps locked

Don't assume that the fiddling some are doing is needed for you. Check the 4K TV settings threads... Is that the norm on how console gaming is?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Don't assume that the fiddling some are doing is needed for you. Check the 4K TV settings threads... Is that the norm on how console gaming is?

ebNGhc1.gif

univbee

Don't assume that the fiddling some are doing is needed for you.

The opposite is also true, though, I mean it's great that Forza 7 is running great for you out-of-the-box but for many people this wasn't the case and in at least some cases it wasn't because they did something "wrong".

Right now someone who hasn't actually tried the Forza 7 demo doesn't have a good way of saying with certainty which side of the problem they'll land on. Schrodinger's Benchmark.

Fredrik

The opposite is also true, though, I mean it's great that Forza 7 is running great for you out-of-the-box but for many people this wasn't the case and in at least some cases it wasn't because they did something "wrong".
You can see it as a positive too, from the sound of it the problem is fixable. How do you fix the framepacing issues in Bloodborne?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I share the same viewpoint. I don't have enough time in my life to mess with a PC. I like the simplicity of plugging in the HDMI cable and hitting power. I want to kick my feet up and just zone out with a game, not fiddle with graphics settings.

If you can know what you are doing, you will spend less time dealing with some settings on PC than on loading screens on console ;)

MilkyJoe

Right now someone who hasn't actually tried the Forza 7 demo doesn't have a good way of saying with certainty which side of the problem they'll land on. Schrodinger's Benchmark.

Quite.

univbee

You can see it as a positive too, from the sound of it the problem is fixable. How do you fix the framepacing issues in Bloodborne?

The Bloodborne issues are indeed worth addressing, but FROM Software is kind of all over the place in terms of fixing stuff on both PC and consoles. Dark Souls II on PC had a durability bug (which I'm fairly sure end users couldn't fix themselves) which didn't get fixed until that same bug (which was tied to performance) showed up on the later PS4 port of the game.

And Dark Souls 3 on PC has those invaders who can quite literally hit you with a banhammer, which I don't believe was ever addressed by FROM/Namco beyond instructions to "manually back up your saves and overwrite your progress if this ever happens to you".

Alej

Banned
Probably, when we get threads like this filled with garbage from console players about PC

Poor PC. Little poor thing.

Ok so, defending PC, your platform of choice, let you insult people then. Someone is wrong on the internet i see.

I now understand why i'm always feeling like the worst dumbass on earth trying to argue here, thank you very much.

Knurek

I've talked with co-workers about Divinity: Original Sin 2 for hours last week. The only exchange that could arguably be said to concern settings was "it looks nicer than the first" "yeah it does".

I thought you'd talk about shader code the game uses...

Rellik

You people really are stuck in 2005. It's amazing.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Poor PC. Little poor thing.

Ok so, defending PC, your platform of choice, let you insult people then. Someone is wrong on the internet i see.

I now understand why i'm always feeling like the worst dumbass on earth trying to argue here, thank you very much.

What?

Using a keyboard/mouse to launch a game? Physically plugging in a controller? A 360 controller? Get on that Xbox One, Steam, or PS4 controller with Steam Big Picture Mode fam.

MazeHaze

Banned
Holy shit, they have to right click something? That's some hardcore tinkering.

Also, you don't even need to do that anymore on Windows 10. Just click the volume icon and select your playback device from a drop down.

For real. And as I pointed out but got paged, on PS4 you cant even just turn on Bluetooth headphones anyway. Only if you buy the official Sony headset and dongle for 100 dollars. You don't even have the option to use your fav Bluetooth headphones on ps4 without some kind of third party solution. Sounds like tinkering to me.

univbee

For the "PC's don't need tweaking" crowd, what's the ideal endgame you're hoping for from this thread? Are you hoping to just convert the NeoGAF console crowd, or ALL console gamers? And what's the problem with the people who ran into actual issues recently with PC games (e.g. 2016 DOOM, Forza 7), is it a "they did something wrong and no true PC gamer ever has to troubleshoot" thing?

Fredrik

It's basically the same thing on PC, I don't power off my PC so I don't even have to hit power I just double click on the desktop shortcut or click start game in Steam. No fiddling with the graphics settings, except maybe the first time I play a game, and everything is updated and ready to go. It's super-easy. Navigating the Xbox UI is seriously more complicated than starting a game on PC nowadays. Comfy couch gaming on PC is great too.

Aters

I still can't get Dark Souls run on my laptop. Something's wrong with the screen refresh rate. Let's not even pretend PC is as accessible as console when the fucking PC performance thread for every fucking game is 50 pages long.

PC is not accessible as console, end of the story.

MUnited83

For you.
Erm, what stops you from doing exactly that on a PC?

Xiofire

For the "PC's don't need tweaking" crowd, what's the ideal endgame you're hoping for from this thread? Are you hoping to just convert the NeoGAF console crowd, or ALL console gamers? And what's the problem with the people who ran into actual issues recently with PC games (e.g. 2016 DOOM, Forza 7), is it a "they did something wrong and no true PC gamer ever has to troubleshoot" thing?

I think that people are just defending it because much of it is either hyperbolic, user error or dismissal of the format all together. That's not to say that people don't run into problems, I have my fair share with my PC experience, but people totally handwaving PC as a tinkering, buggy mess when it's actually the simplest it's ever been annoys some.

That and consoles aren't without their tinkering issues and patch problems these days either. I'm not really sure what the end game is, maybe just open a few peoples eyes to how much PC gaming has come on in the past few years?

I'm really not fussed, I usually just play wherever is cheapest or easiest at the time.

just clearing up misconceptions, I would never care to convert anyone

MazeHaze

Banned
Let's not even pretend PC is as accessible as console when the fucking PC performance thread for every fucking game is 50 pages long.

PC is not accessible as console, end of the story.

You could say the same about every game OT now though. Can't even get a few posts into a thread before "how does it run on pro?" "Does it support HDR?" "Guys help, do I select RGB full or 420? How do I enable UHD color?" "Is their supersampling? How is the frame rate in 1080p mode?"

Fredrik

I think that people are just defending it because much of it is either hyperbolic, user error or dismissal of the format all together. That's not to say that people don't run into problems, I have my fair share with my PC experience, but people totally handwaving PC as a tinkering, buggy mess when it's actually the simplest it's ever been annoys some.

That and consoles aren't without their tinkering issues and patch problems these days either. I'm not really sure what the end game is, maybe just open a few peoples eyes to how much PC gaming has come on in the past few years?

I'm really not fussed, I usually just play wherever is cheapest or easiest at the time.
Perfect post. Thanks. :)

Aters

They don't? You get a notification of a new patch, you download it, done. No need to modify .ini file, no need to download .dll file. I cannot launch Dark Souls on my PC. I cannot get pass the title screen. It never happened to me in my 15 years of console gaming experience.

I do play PC games, but some PC users here are just trying to convince people black is white. And throwing insults like "they are lazy/dumb" around only makes the PC crowd look more insecure, immature and ignorant. Some people only have so much time on gaming and they want to spend every minute of it on actually playing games. I do programing and troubleshooting at work, I prefer something else at home.

You could say the same about every game OT now though. Can't even get a few posts into a thread before "how does it run on pro?" "Does it support HDR?" "Guys help, do I select RGB full or 420? How do I enable UHD color?" "Is their supersampling? How is the frame rate in 1080p mode?"

I hate the trend console is going. But let's be real. You have PS4 and PS4 Pro, that's it. Asking in general how the game run on PS4 Pro is not the same thing as asking how it runs on a specific PC setup that maybe you're the only one using.

ViolentP

Console users want ease of use at adequate performance.
PC users want options at greater performance.

They are 2 different markets that are both getting what they want. Not sure why both sides have their users who demand validation for their preference.

Aters

Console users want ease of use at adequate performance.
PC users want options at greater performance.

They are 2 different markets that are both getting what they want. Not sure why both sides have their users who demand validation for their preference.

Both side? Have you ever seen a thread on GAF saying "hey PC gamer, why not play on console"?

ss_lemonade

Erm, what stops you from doing exactly that on a PC?

Well, you gotta wait for the OS to boot first then wait for Steam, Origin, etc to load (and also hope that Steam doesn't hang up running in the background, requiring a task-manager-process-kill app restart which seems to be happening frequently to me) :p.

I love PC gaming but hate it when you run across a game with issues and no fix available. After I reinstalled Battlefield 3 last night to test my new GPU, I found out that you cannot access the video settings screen without the game crashing *only* if you are connected to a TV. It doesn't make sense to me and it seems it's been a problem for years now and has never been fixed.

slow down, re-read.

that person wasn't calling console gamers lazy or stupid. that person was saying that sometimes, like in the case of the person he was responding to at the time (that's context), even the simplest acts on PC (like right clicking your volume icon) are made out to be strange, esoteric processes that your average console gamer would need to 'research' before wrapping their heads around, solely for the sake of the argument. Feels awfully detached to refer to switching your primary audio device as 'tinkering'. Nobody here would ever refer to a simple change of settings on PS4 as 'tinkering', but I guess changing your audio device on PC is, because... you have to right click an icon?

and that shit is pretty common, too. I remember this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1328367&highlight=pc

wherein someone mused that PC is a solid platform but lacks 'social' elements
and when it's pointed out that Discord is pretty much the best social platform in gaming
some jump through hoops to remove it from consideration.

even though it's incredibly easy to use
even though there's an app for your phone
even though you don't even need to install it; it can run in your browser too

discord isn't enough. because 'my friends don't even know what it is' or 'I don't wanna have to download something!' or 'how am I supposed to coerce randoms into joining Discord with me' (sharing a single link and they're in without even downloading anything... on the off chance that that pc gamer isn't already using discord... quite complex)

JWiLL

Banned

Aint got no time for that.

This isn't required. These are people troubleshooting to try and improve an experience with their current hardware.

If a console game has FPS issues you're forced to live with it - that guy chose to go the extra mile with options available to him.

ViolentP

Both side? Have you ever seen a thread on GAF saying "hey PC gamer, why not play on console"?

Both sides, yes. PC users love to tout performance by making consoles seem inferior, and console users tout ease of use by claiming PC gaming requires hours of tinkering.

MazeHaze

Banned
Well, you gotta wait for the OS to boot first then wait for Steam, Origin, etc to load (and also hope that Steam doesn't hang up running in the background, requiring a task-manager-process-kill app restart which seems to be happening frequently to me) :p.
My PC probably boots faster than my PS4 if they're both powered off. And let's be real, the majority of people keep both in rest mode, making this a non issue.

I have had steam lock up before, but I've also had plenty of hard crashes on my ps4, and the ps4 keeps having to boot into safe mode and check the hardrive after it auto shuts down for some reason, the console thinks I didn't shut it down properly.

The only reason I can think of that is a common issue is having to fiddle with settings. While console games can be made for an exact spec of hardware, PC games are not. While most PC games have pretty solid recommended settings defaults, occasionally manual adjustment may be needed to optimize your play experience. This is such an easy and minor fix though.

Top Bottom