• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PC gaming still considered difficult with too much tinkering?

ViolentP

The bolded is an opinion, that you're allowed to have, but I promise you everyone who prefers consoles will disagree with you.

The whole reason the thread is 40 pages is because PC people either say, "it's not that hard" or, "it's worth it". And basically all responses are a combination of, "yes it is" and, "no it isn't". I got a super nice gaming PC, used it consistently for year, and while most of the time it wasn't that bad, once I started playing consoles again I never looked back except for the rare little indie I want to check out. It's fine if you prefer what you're doing, but I find it disingenuous for any reasonably intelligent person (which ostensibly PC gamers are) to act like the reasons people don't like PC are completely incomprehensible.

E: I didn't mean to call you out specifically ViolentP, it's just my take on the thread in general, I'm out of here.

I'm speaking specifically of PC gamers. I am not trying to illustrate superiority in any way. For one that chose PC gaming, the occasional troubleshooting is par for the course. And in my opinion, has been worth it. One that does not want to bother with any level of troubleshooting isn't really the demographic I am talking about.

Akronis

Kind of related to tinkering,

Another thing that's nice about consoles is when you're chatting to friends about a game, Witcher 3 for example. You're just talking about the game and you both had the exact same experience.

If I was talking about the PC version with someone the conversation would 75 % about settings. Loads of people love that stuff and more power to them (ha) but I'm over it.

Source? You're just pulling stuff out of your ass as if PC gamers are incapable of enjoying video games.

Another thing that's nice about consoles is when you're chatting to friends about a game, Witcher 3 for example. You're just talking about the game and you both had the exact same experience.

that's just not true anymore when we have PS4 Pro/Xbox X, do you play in 4k? 1080p? hdr on or off? boost mode on or off? does the game have performance/graphics/fps toggle, what setting do you have it on?

Filben

If I was talking about the PC version with someone the conversation would 75 % about settings. Loads of people love that stuff and more power to them (ha) but I'm over it.
That's too bad. I spend at least 75% not talking about settings but gameplay, story and audiovisual presentation with my buddies.

gelf

Does everyone who plays multiplats on PC even try to run them at higher-than-console performance? How many PC users are content to play all those games at medium settings, 720p, and 30fps? Is there some kind of hard data on this?

On my previous GPU I was content to play big multiplats at medium/high settings in 1080p at 30fps -- I played 400 hours of Witcher 3 at 1080p/30, probably maybe slightly above console settings, and I was fine with it. I did this for most new games and was just fine with it because I buy on PC primarily just to have more freedom with how and where I install and run my games. Superior performance is only one small facet of the advantage for me.

I'll admit that a big exception -- and the game that made me get a 1070, was DOOM. As far as I can tell, new DOOM is a rare recent example of a game that runs noticeably better on consoles than it does on mid-range PC GPUs (at least 2013 GPUs). Maybe it's just because the console versions run at dynamic resolution which the PC version doesn't have.

I also must admit that multiplat games on PC these days are probably less scalable than in the past. Games on the lowest graphics settings today look basically the same as on the highest settings, whereas 10 years ago you could knock a game a whole "console generation" in the past if you turned the settings down low enough, which allowed it to run on much more affordable systems.
My system is showing its age now but I've been content to knock down the resolution and/or lock the framerate at 30. Seems to be more common that I have to do it with recent multiplats. I may even have been below console settings for some games but I can't be bothered to check and compare.

I'm like you, my preference for PC versions has little to do with getting superior performance and more to do with the freedom it offers. A Steam account is very portable and long term backwards compatibility has always appealed to me.

I'll admit that a big exception -- and the game that made me get a 1070, was DOOM. As far as I can tell, new DOOM is a rare recent example of a game that runs noticeably better on consoles than it does on mid-range PC GPUs (at least 2013 GPUs). Maybe it's just because the console versions run at dynamic resolution which the PC version doesn't have.
Same situation here, though I opted for a 1060. I see it get a lot of praise as an amazing port with great scalability, and that's a fair statement, when it comes to modern hardware. My 1060 has a lot of headroom running it at 1080p + highest settings, but my old 760, which ran every other game as well, if not better at PS4 equivalent settings, choked on the game at 1080p. Really strange, and I've always wondered what the issue is.

SystemUser

PC gaming has less tinkering required than ever unless you are really want to tinker. Console gaming on the other hand has more tinkering required than ever. So many settings to worry about and always more updates to download and install. And now that the half generation consoles have been released this is only getting worse for console.

PC gaming was often an order of magnitude more complicated than console gaming. I feel like the difference is now only a few percentage points.

nelo_inc

PC gaming has less tinkering required than ever unless you are really want to tinker. Console gaming on the other hand has more tinkering required than ever. So many settings to worry about and always more updates to download and install. And now that the half generation consoles have been released this is only getting worse for console.

PC gaming was often an order of magnitude more complicated than console gaming. I feel like the difference is now only a few percentage points.

Completely agree with this.PC gaming has become (specially in this last years) more and more easy to setup, while consoles are moving in the opposite direction.

And this is something i personally don't like, consoles are losing their identities faster than ever.

Budi

Interesting, most of my friends that play do it on PC. And maybe 5% of our discussions are perfomance/settings/tech related.

In last few years, I've had more people come to me for help with their console problems/questions than PC related. Ofcourse this is partly because PC people I know can usually handle things by themselves or atleast look for solutions.

ss_lemonade

Same situation here, though I opted for a 1060. I see it get a lot of praise as an amazing port with great scalability, and that's a fair statement, when it comes to modern hardware. My 1060 has a lot of headroom running it at 1080p + highest settings, but my old 760, which ran every other game as well, if not better at PS4 equivalent settings, choked on the game at 1080p. Really strange, and I've always wondered what the issue is.
Have you tried the Vulkan API? It helped a lot with my 780 and 970m, though it actually makes my 1080ti perform worse lol.

I have an older PC thats showing its age and I honestly can't really afford to upgrade it.

Big issue is the CPU which requires a new mobo, then probably a new graphics card. Instead I have a Xbox One which I paid $300 for and it manages to run what my PC Cannot.

I would absolutely love to be able to spend the $1000+ needed to properly upgrade my computer but I honestly can't.

I know for a lot of people probably say its too difficult but I think there is a lot of people like me who just simply can't afford it and use it as an excuse.

I also spend a lot of my day at a computer so using a console at home is a bit of a disconnect but I can still use a controller on my PC so thats a moot point.

Cost is probably the big thing. And yes, I know people will say "But you can build a computer that you can run anything at better than console for like $200" But the answer is...no, you cannot. Especially living in Canada.

ss_lemonade

That's interesting. I can't remember the last time PC game related conversations with friends revolved around settings

RPGam3r

There is close to zero tinkering on console, its why I love console gaming. No clue what you're talking about?

Updates aren’t “tinkering” when they automatically pop up and tell you to press a button to update your game. I can’t think of a single complicated thing required by console gaming, except maybe using a headset with the Switch. Particularly compared to the required tinkering PC has, such as switching audio playback devices to enable your wireless headset.

I haven't been a pc gamer in about 15 years. Everytime I consider it I note a plethora of threads on this very forum discussing performance issues, drivers, etc. related to pc gaming. These threads are usually associated with specific games. That leads me to believe there is still tinkering involved, perhaps on a per game basis, and I quite frankly don't have time for that. I've troubleshooter precisely zero driver/OS issues over the last 15 years. I'll keep it that way by not gaming on my pc.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This is actually one of the reasons I mainly play on console even though I own a good gaming pc. The fucking superiority master race is always on the defensive and so quick to look down on people that main on console.

When really who the hell even cares what other people use? Use whatever you like, just because one person thinks it’s too much work to tinker with pc doesn’t affect your experience in the slightest. This isn’t a dick size contest, just play the fucking games that’s why we are all here anyway.

And before anybody tries to start it, I’m obviously not saying it’s all Pc players that do this but they know who they are.

Can you specifically point out some GAF members who do that? If not, why did you even bring "PC master race" talk to this thread?

Probably stems from back in the day where you'd buy a new game and it would run like shit. scaring you into buying anything else.

then discovering consoles has nothing like that. especially with nvidia optimize games function etc.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I have an older PC thats showing its age and I honestly can't really afford to upgrade it.

Big issue is the CPU which requires a new mobo, then probably a new graphics card. Instead I have a Xbox One which I paid $300 for and it manages to run what my PC Cannot.

I would absolutely love to be able to spend the $1000+ needed to properly upgrade my computer but I honestly can't.

Depends on what you're shooting for, but a motherboard and a decent CPU along with some RAM for gaming doesn't cost that much.

Even a something old like a CPU on a LGA 775 chipset can still pair up well with a 1050ti or a 470 tho. There's some bottlenecking going on, but it still will run games at 1080p north of 30fps with little trouble.

Budi

I haven't been a pc gamer in about 15 years. Everytime I consider it I note a plethora of threads on this very forum discussing performance issues, drivers, etc. related to pc gaming. These threads are usually associated with specific games. That leads me to believe there is still tinkering involved, perhaps on a per game basis, and I quite frankly don't have time for that. I've troubleshooter precisely zero driver/OS issues over the last 15 years. I'll keep it that way by not gaming on my pc.
Some people are very picky or just passionate about these things, so having these threads doesn't mean there needs to be tinkering with large majority of these games. Some people just enjoy doing it, putting in the effort for absolutely best experience they can achieve with their hardware.

Probably stems from back in the day where you'd buy a new game and it would run like shit. scaring you into buying anything else.

then discovering consoles has nothing like that. especially with nvidia optimize games function etc.
It’s still a real thing today, not a “back in the day” thing, and it’s 100% required, not just “I want to make this run better or look better”. When you can’t use a wireless headset by just turning it on, and instead have to research how to enable it in Windows, that’s going to scare any casual gamer away.

Admittedly, it’s a hell of a lot better today than trying to run Ultima 7 in DOS...

Man what a salty thread this turned out to be.

FWIW, I find myself tinkering from time to time, mostly to see if I can force support for my non-standard 21:9 monitor. Otherwise, my tinkering really is just to make a game look even better than a game was at release state. For example, adding visual enhancements to Nier: Automata or mods to Bethesda games. Things that aren't even an option on other platforms.

I very rarely have a game-breaking bug. I think the last one I had was at Nier Automata's launch. Something about the resolution was breaking a transition where a required waypoint wouldn't populate, resulting in an inability to advance in the game. That was maddening. But that was the only situation I can think of like that in years for me. Otherwise, it's been fine.

A few minutes to customize your experience (settings, controller mappings) should be no issue when you're going to play a game for dozens or hundreds of hours. If you can afford a rig that will be more capable than your console and access to certain friends isn't the most pressing concern, PC is almost always the best choice you can make for yourself.

It's still a real thing today, not a ”back in the day" thing, and it's 100% required, not just ”I want to make this run better or look better". When you can't use a wireless headset by just turning it on, and instead have to research how to enable it in Windows, that's going to scare any casual gamer away.

Admittedly, it's a hell of a lot better today than trying to run Ultima 7 in DOS...
Eh.

When you have a wireless headset, you may have to "enable it in Windows" once. Then you like just "turn it on" forever afterwards. Again, a minute or two in exchange for a smoother overall experience is a fairly minor inconvenience. Compared to say, paying $60 to play online or being forced to often times sub-par resolutions and/or framerates. No? Seems like an easy call to make.

BTW the last wireless product I bought "just worked". Install drivers --> use. Researching how to use has not been an actual step for a peripheral in many a year.

fantasyGG

Neo Member
It's still a real thing today, not a ”back in the day" thing, and it's 100% required, not just ”I want to make this run better or look better". When you can't use a wireless headset by just turning it on, and instead have to research how to enable it in Windows, that's going to scare any casual gamer away.

Admittedly, it's a hell of a lot better today than trying to run Ultima 7 in DOS...

Wait, you can just use any wireless headset on PS4 by just turning it on?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

-Hey Larry, did you download the new update?
- Yeah. It's 30fps now, but there's awful screen tearing.
- Did you update?
- Naw. I can't because PSN's down again.

All I have to say, as someone who currently spends most of their gaming time on PC currently:
Fuck getting parts DOA
Fuck RMAs
Fuck cable management
Fuck thermal paste

No, you don't even have to enable a PC headset unless you disabled it before. Making it your 'default device' is about as difficult as changing your headset settings on PS4.
Doesn't exactly take a lot of 'research' to learn how to manage your audio devices and switch between them. I'd never refer to the process of acclaimating to a console UI as 'research', that's an interesting choice of words. Since I had to Google it the first time I wanted to pair a PS4 headset, does that mean such things 'require research' on PS4, too?

At any rate, yeah, I gotta make my wireless headset my default device in windows, sometimes.

Here, let me try using that headset on PS4. Oh, I can't, because it's not licensed by Sony. Guess I should have done the research first.

I see your point but I think you're overstating how esoteric changing your audio device on PC actually is, even to the uninitiated.

When you have a wireless headset, you may have to "enable it in Windows" once. Then you like just "turn it on" forever afterwards. Again, a minute or two in exchange for a smoother overall experience is a fairly minor inconvenience. Compared to say, paying $60 to play online or being forced to often times sub-par resolutions and/or framerates. No? Seems like an easy call to make.

BTW the last wireless product I bought "just worked". Install drivers --> use. Researching how to use has not been an actual step for a peripheral in many a year.
Not for me. When I turn on my Logitech G/933 (not a niche device by any means), nothing happens in Windows - the headset just turns on (note: not plugging it in, turning it on). I have to tell Windows my default playback device is the headset, that routes all game audio to that headset rather than my speakers. Then when I’m done, I turn off the headset, and now I have to tell Windows my default playback device is my speakers. That’s what a casual user would have to research to figure out how to do, since it involves right-clicking the volume control, choosing “Playback Devices”, then choose the headset and press the “Default” button.

And, in the game I use them the most in, Final Fantasy XIV, I must do that before launching the game, because the game locks in your default sound device at launch.

On a console, the headsets are bluetooth, and once you pair them they just work.

fantasyGG

Neo Member

I was talking about me personally although the Witcher 3 is just an example as I played that on PS4.

Then why generalize it like a PC master race thing?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

I know for a lot of people probably say its too difficult but I think there is a lot of people like me who just simply can't afford it and use it as an excuse.

I also spend a lot of my day at a computer so using a console at home is a bit of a disconnect but I can still use a controller on my PC so thats a moot point.

Cost is probably the big thing. And yes, I know people will say "But you can build a computer that you can run anything at better than console for like $200" But the answer is...no, you cannot. Especially living in Canada.
What's your CPU? Anything mid range from the last 9 or so years should still run everything just fine, if you overclock.

Kvik

Admittedly, it’s a hell of a lot better today than trying to run Ultima 7 in DOS...

Actually, Exult trivializes the effort to play U7/Serpent Isle on modern operating systems.

Although, I had the displeasure of dealing with DOS4GW and such during its release so I know where you coming from.

question for people that game exclusively on consoles now with 4k, have you not changed or fiddled with any setting at all on you tv or the console?
Because it honestly feels like I had to change dozens of settings to get the best picture on my new tv.

question for people that game exclusively on consoles now with 4k, have you not changed or fiddled with any setting at all on you tv or the console?
Because it honestly feels like I had to change dozens of settings to get the best picture on my new tv.

I just look up calibrations for my tv online. Same thing I basically do if I ever have issues with my pc. Gaming on pc is pretty much knowing how to look shit up with minor problem solving.

univbee

This may be unique to the official Sony wireless headsets. That said, I own all three variants and all of them have worked that way. If the USB wireless dongle is plugged into the PS3 or PS4, once the headset is turned on and connects to the dongle, the output to the TV is disabled (I believe you can tell it to stay on but admittedly I've never had a reason to do this so I can't say for certain), the sound is piped to the headset, and the headset microphone is assigned to be the audio input device. This is all done automatically, it all happens just with the act of turning the headset switch "on". Once you switch it off, the sound output to the TV is re-enabled automatically.

You can buy a current-gen console with a triple-A game bundled in for 250$. Controllers, cables, headset, all included. If you want to play it online you likely have a trial for the paid online inside. You most certainly own a TV or monitor. With 250$ you're playing the latest FIFA, Destiny, Call Of Duty, Battlefield, or whatever is the bundle of choice. Not a lot of settings, no extra peripherals needed. You get it and you play it, that's it.

I've been playing on only PC for over a decade basically. I am aware of its strenghts, but no point in downplaying the simplicity and the price of consoles. If I want to play the latest blockbuster I can't buy a computer capable of those graphics for 250$. Simply can't. I'm in IT and I spend enough time tweaking PCs, can't be arsed anymore to make sure the port isn't trash, make sure I have all the right drivers, spend half an hour tweaking the settings to make the game run well and also not look bad (never had overly expensive PCs so compromises were always made), hoping I don't get errors, crashes or something that will make me waste more time. I still own a PC that I use for indies and such, but for triple-A titles it's easier and "safer" to buy on console. I'll never forget the days of downloading WADs for Doom, mods for Unreal Tournament games, custom levels for Ricochet (not the Valve one, the Breakout-clone) and community content for TrackMania. But the situation is pretty clear imho.

Mameshiba

Neo Member

I have no experience with Canadian prices, so it probably isn't the most price efficient build, but I would buy something like this:
AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $130.28
ASRock - A320M-DGS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.50
Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $60.88
Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card $187.99

Which ends up at $438,65 if you buy it at pcpartpicker. Use the other components from your previous PC. An Xbox One seems to cost around $350 in Canada, so you pay a $90 premium for roughly twice the performance. That is assuming your hardware is so old, that you won't get any money from selling it.

This back and forth is kind of petty. Both were very unique experiences 10 years ago but are now starting to get closer and closer. PC is getting easier and console is offering more options and PC like games.

Cramoss

May not be possible anymore since the introduction of mid-gen upgrades

Durante

I've talked with co-workers about Divinity: Original Sin 2 for hours last week. The only exchange that could arguably be said to concern settings was "it looks nicer than the first" "yeah it does".

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You can buy a current-gen console with a triple-A game bundled in for 250$. Controllers, cables, headset, all included. If you want to play it online you likely have a trial for the paid online inside. You most certainly own a TV or monitor. With 250$ you're playing the latest FIFA, Destiny, Call Of Duty, Battlefield, or whatever is the bundle of choice. Not a lot of settings, no extra peripherals needed. You get it and you play it, that's it.

I've been playing on only PC for over a decade basically. I am aware of its strenghts, but no point in downplaying the simplicity and the price of consoles. If I want to play the latest blockbuster I can't buy a computer capable of those graphics for 250$. Simply can't. I'm in IT and I spend enough time tweaking PCs, can't be arsed anymore to make sure the port isn't trash, make sure I have all the right drivers, spend half an hour tweaking the settings to make the game run well and also not look bad (never had overly expensive PCs so compromises were always made), hoping I don't get errors, crashes or something that will make me waste more time. I still own a PC that I use for indies and such, but for triple-A titles it's easier and "safer" to buy on console. I'll never forget the days of downloading WADs for Doom, mods for Unreal Tournament games, custom levels for Ricochet (not the Valve one, the Breakout-clone) and community content for TrackMania. But the situation is pretty clear imho.

I would need extra peripherals for Destiny, Call Of Duty and Battlefield. XIM4 and M&KB.

You obvious can't buy a machine that does so much more than a console for only 250$.

Trash ports on pc are still much better and cheaper than the best console version.

You just need make sure of ONE driver for games, the video driver and it can be updated automatically. If you need half an hour and not a few seconds to tweak settings for the game, you have not much idea what you are doing, and the "running well" is much more well than the console version ;)

MazeHaze

Banned
On a console, the headsets are bluetooth, and once you pair them they just work.

For PS4 at least, I'mm pretty sure this is only true if you buy the official Sony branded headest+dongle for 100 dollars. You don't even have the option of using whatever Bluetooth headset you prefer, unless there is some 3rd party work around dongle. Which IMO makes it more of a hassle than PC.

On the other hand, I can use whatever headset I want on my PC, even my Sony golds.

CmdBash

When we 5 stack in rainbow six there's at least one game crash/pc crash per game night we have, I can understand where the stigma comes from.

Can anyone help me find a good gaming pc online?

I'm trying to buy ff14 for the pc, but my old one...is old. It's time for an upgrade. I'm not sure where to look or what I'd be buying is a good gaming pc.

Any help would be appreciated.

DESTROYA

That's were Geoforce experience comes in if you don't want to deal with settings,( if you have a nVidia GPU) but getting the settings just right is pretty simple and only takes a minute or two.

DESTROYA

Can anyone help me find a good gaming pc online?

I'm trying to buy ff14 for the pc, but my old one...is old. It's time for an upgrade. I'm not sure where to look or what I'd be buying is a good gaming pc.

Any help would be appreciated.
Really depends on how much you want to spend, the combinations are limitless.

Zzzonked

Pretty much every time there is a console vs PC gaming discussion going on there are a bunch if people saying that PC gaming require too much work compared to consoles.

I used to be a console-only gamer, enough to even get me banned by trying to shut up PC gamers in my console threads.

Then I bought a PC 4 years ago. Windows 7, i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, 780ti. Windows preinstalled.

During these past 4 years I haven't "fiddled" with any driver or patches, I've just bought the games on Steam and everything has just worked with zero tinkering. The fiddling is taken care of by Steam without me knowing about it. Quite amazing really. Steam sometimes says that it has been automatically updated and restarts with one mouse click and a 10 second start up time, that's pretty much how far my tinkering has gone. If I want to use a controller I just plug it in and it instantly works and the UI in the games swap to indicate buttons instead of keys. Quite amazing really.

Honestly, PC gaming could be sold with Apple's "It just works." slogan from my point of view.

I swapped out my 780ti to a 980ti 2 years ago though, but even that was surprisingly easy: power down the computer, loosen the cables and screws, pull out the old card, plug in the new card, reconnect the cables and tighten the screws, power up the computer. Done.

Those who complain about how difficult PC gaming is simply cannot have used a modern PC with Steam.

You definitely _can_ fiddle with a bunch of stuff if you want to. But you don't have to if you don't want to, that's the thing. I'm one of those that don't want any hassle, I just want to play games, and that's exactly what my PC has let me to do.

So where does that complexity talk come from? From my point if view it's just as easy to game on PC as consoles.

This has been my exact experience for the last 9 years ever since I got my first gaming PC. Ive never understood the "tinkering" crowd either lmao.

Download, click play on Steam, done.

Top Bottom