• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PC gaming still considered difficult with too much tinkering?

I just wanted to play my physical copy of ABUSE in fullscreen with a controller. Took me over a goddamn week to get it to look and play right with DOSBox.

I have a copy of Tresspasser that no longer works on modern OSs since one of the required GPU features has been depreciated. I'm now stuck with a coaster.

Every time I try to set up Who's The Daddy for my daughters to play in local splitscreen with two controllers it's a complete headache.

In order to play Squirrel Kombat I had to create an entire OS 9 virtual machine and sift through downloads until I found a cracked nonshareware version. I still can't get Reckless Drivin' to work.

Every time I boot up a 3D game I have to spend 10-15 minutes fucking around with settings to get it calibrated properly.

PC gaming is a fucking pain-in-the-ass. I'll take a graphical reduction on console to not have to fine tune everything every god damn time I want to play.

Rizific

It's mind blowing how much this "updating drivers" shit gets thrown around in threads like these. Like yeah man, we get it. you haven't actually touched a PC in the last 10 years, it's ok. BRB while I update the driver for the power button on my pc case...

JWiLL

Banned
I just wanted to play my physical copy of ABUSE in fullscreen with a controller. Took me over a goddamn week to get it to look and play right with DOSBox.

I have a copy of Tresspasser that no longer works on modern OSs since one of the required GPU features has been depreciated. I'm now stuck with a coaster.

Every time I try to set up Who's The Daddy for my daughters to play in local splitscreen with two controllers it's a complete headache.

In order to play Squirrel Kombat I had to create an entire OS 9 virtual machine and sift through downloads until I found a cracked nonshareware version. I still can't get Reckless Drivin' to work.

Every time I boot up a 3D game I have to spend 10-15 minutes fucking around with settings to get it calibrated properly.

PC gaming is a fucking pain-in-the-ass. I'll take a graphical reduction on console to not have to fine tune everything every god damn time I want to play.

Please tell me this post is satire.

Abuse is a great game but designed for use with M&K. Were you using a Steam controller? How did it play?

Like mods? Yeah, they really don't care about those. Or performance. That's another one nobody talks about on consoles.

Most simply don’t. You’re on GAF so you hear about it more but consoles wouldn’t be selling 10s of millions units every year if people really cared about them.

You have been elected clown of the week.

c0Zm1c

Playing a console. Step 1: plug it in and connect to your TV.
Step 2: insert disc. Install update.
Step 3: play

PC owners need to understand the appeal of that convenience. I don't want to piss around with drivers and graphics cards and keyboards and installs and upgrades. I mean, why even bother anyway? My next Playstation will match what your PC does now, so I can wait. The PS4 pisses all over PCs from 10 years ago. Consoles are progressing regardless.

The other thing I don't get about PC gaming? You cry on about insane specs and graphics and then you play on tiny monitors. I play on a giant OLED TV and I know what I prefer.

No, this is what I really think. Sorry that you have a different opinion 🙃.

What you think doesn't completely line up with what's true though. I'm sure many a PC gamer perfectly understands, and maybe even appreciates the convenience of console gaming, but there's a sacrifice that comes with it, in having less options and being stuck with what the company maintaining the platform and game developers give you. If you're a PC gamer used to making changes for a better or expected experience then things being locked down on console then, conversely, could be viewed as an inconvenience.

PC gamers generally wouldn't like pissing around with drivers and installs constantly either, so it's a good job we don't have to, and Steam's insistence on automatically installing software when we first run a game is arguably less inconvenient than "install update" in step 2 of your "playing a console" guide. The belief that we also need to be constantly upgrading hardware is really antiquated at this point too!

At a desk we sit closer to our "tiny" monitors so they appear large if not larger than a TV viewed from further away, but this is a moot point when you can also hook up a PC to a TV.

For me, I don't want to mess with settings on my own game. It's so nice to come home, plop down on the couch, and have everything already optimized and ready to go on my $200 Xbox One S. Having all of my social features built in makes matching up with friends so incredibly easy and the store has been having some incredible deals on digital games so that's nice too.

mephixto

Banned

Well at least we know that probably in 2075 your grandkinds will find a way to run grandpa Abuse physical copy.

univbee

The only thing I find strange is when the console crowd tries to convince themselves that their ease of use leads to a better experience or something. If PC players want to play on a couch with a controller, they can do that too. I'd much rather be on my 27" 1440p/165hz G Sync though.

G-Sync is fantastic but is a pretty hard sell since it requires a new (and relatively expensive) display that isn't available in living room size ranges, and is impossible to showcase (you can't link someone to a YouTube of it since that'll just run at 60fps for them). Buying into G-Sync has the caveat "you're not going to be 'living room' gaming".

"Ease of use" depends a lot on what you're trying to do. I'd argue, for example, that chatting on a headset is MUCH more likely to work "first time every time" on PS4/XB1 than on PC, especially if you switch between headset sound and speakers regularly.

Oscar

I work with a lot of Spanish only speaking immigrants at my fam's construction business.

I overheard them during lunch talking about a blue wall and how you should stand right next to it towards the end if you want a higher chance of success.

Initially I thought they were on some Trump rhetoric, but they were talking about PUBG. Granted, they play on Laptops, but still. I thought it was interesting how people conceived by society in general as dumb hard labor mules are over here PC Gaming.

Meanwhile, you have educated white collar workers in here crying about the complexity of installing updates for your graphics drivers.

fantasyGG

Neo Member

Can you play PS1 games with ps4? You are talking about some old and outdated games here.

Never heard of those games. And whats your controllers? Don't tell me you have some super weird old controller from 1990 again,

You should complain about something that's better. There are only a few options for "graphical settings" there. LOW = PS4 graphic settings, you don't have to play at the highest settings, and you don't have to fine tune everything.

I am not sure why you are picking on PC gaming(Guess you can't find anything solid to blame since you don't play games on PC a lot). But feel free to play games on PS4 or whatever your choice is. Nobody force you to play games on PC btw.

Or maybe this is a satire then I am dumb.

Dural

I work in IT for a living and love tinkering with PCs, but there truly are some issues still today with PC gaming. That there are still major game releases that people cannot play due to certain hardware or driver issues is my biggest gripe. Dark Souls would never boot on my PC, I've tried every fix and never got it to work. Most games, admittedly, are not like this, but just that one game that I paid for not working really pissed me off. I'll play certain games and exclusives on the PC, but prefer the console for most things.

Abuse is a great game but designed for use with M&K. Were you using a Steam controller? How did it play?

Steam controller. It's phenomenal when it's set up tight, even better than M&K for ABUSE. A normal twin-stick controller obviously wouldn't work.

And the assholes come out of the woodwork as expected. Fuck you. This is why people cringe when you say you're PC-only.

For me, I don't want to mess with settings on my own game. It's so nice to come home, plop down on the couch, and have everything already optimized and ready to go on my $200 Xbox One S. Having all of my social features built in makes matching up with friends so incredibly easy and the store has been having some incredible deals on digital games so that's nice too.

The social features don't seem to get brought up much. I would have thought this was a big plus in favour of console gaming. Everyone using the same system, etc. Saying that though, I never used any social features on pc when I still gamed there so have no experience for comparison.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I just want to put in a disc and it play. I'm not really interesting in tinkering or fiddling with settings, and because there are so many different specs and combinations that developers have to try and account for, as others have said, it seems a crapshoot on whether or not the game will even launch properly. I'm old and confused. :(
I'm neither old nor confused, just impatient. How about that

Couches and controllers aren't console exclusive though.
No, but with a console, they will work automatically. I have very few PC games that worked instantly, no tinkering or troubleshooting required, with almost any controller I've used (DS3 and DS4 lately, I used a 360 controller before but I hate it and avoid it). And for my PC to connect to my TV I'd need to do a lot of furniture re-arrangement that I sure as shit don't want to do.

They are not comparable. People need to get this through their thick skulls; when someone says "I want my controller and couch" they are not saying "it's impossible to have those things with PC gaming", only that they are not practical or trivial to setup for them.

See my earlier post for some examples. And those are recent games purporting "full controller support" too! [Fake edit: ok, Trails 3rd is "partial", but fuck, it's originally a console/handheld game, ridiculous that it's not full support]

The Gravis PC GamePad is a game port game controller produced by Advanced Gravis Computer Technology first released in 1991.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravis_PC_GamePad
lol, I remember that that thing. It was a piece of dogshit that didn't work with most games in the late 90's, and even had trouble working right with console emulators. It was better than nothing, but that's it.

Edit:
You have been elected clown of the week.
Well at least we know that probably in 2075 your grandkinds will find a way to run grandpa Abuse physical copy.
Guys, why does PC gaming/gamers get a bad rep again

KingV

Cost also has nothing to do with the perception of difficulty and tinkering.

That perception exists because it still exists. I only game on PC at the moment. You do need a certain level of investment and competence to go in on PC gaming. I would never recommend it to anyone who doesn't have this mindset.

From personal experience - I don't have any issues with drivers or whatnot. I did have an issue with Windows 10 once buggering up wireless XB1 pads. I have issues with some games. It just happens. You search and put time into sorting it out or you just drop the game, or you sit on one of the performance threads on here and kind of crowdsource a way forward.

From the outside, this looks like a pain in the arse. It's got better, better than it has ever been. I can't see it going away though. Not unless the platform got closed off and managed.

I play about evenly console/PC and it’s definitey true that PCs are more work. There are just some games that release with shit ports and are difficult to play properly at release. Some never get fixed. It is a rare occurrence, and yet I still end up having problems with two or so game/year.

People will always insist that it is rare, but it isn’t really that rare. There are usually a few high profile games every year with relatively serious issues.

Games are cheaper but you can’t trade them in, so if you are primarily playing new releases and beating them quickly to trade in, console gaming can be cheaper too.

I prefer PC because of the 60fps, but if I could get that reliably on a console would move most of my gaming there with my indies on switch and my adventure games on tablet.

Steam controller. It's phenomenal when it's set up tight, even better than M&K for ABUSE. A normal twin-stick controller obviously wouldn't work.

And the assholes come out of the woodwork as expected. Fuck you.

Cool. Abuse is one of my all time favorites. Jelly of your physical copy. Big box?

If you want to get the most out of your system you're going to have to tinker, or if you want to play a shoddy port or old game you might have to tinker, but most of the time nowadays modern systems and modern games just work™ and if you have a base level proficiency with a computer any minor bug can be solvable by looking up or posting about it online.

Personally for me the benefits of the pc platform far outweigh the time spent tinkering with my system or games, the only time I tinker with my system is when I can't get a newer game to run at a smooth 60 for my midrange hardware because playing at 30fps is an awful experience for me, the shutter effect is quite apparent and it gives me a headache just looking at it.

For modern games, I've had a pretty pleasant experience. The only thing that is a pain in the ass is HDR on PC. In any case, given that I'm spending usually 30-50% less on PC games than the console equivalent, I'm willing to tinker a little bit. Only thing that would be great is a GUI with contoller support that can launch all my games. Steam Big Picture mode gets me most of the way there, but the occasional Origin or UPlay title doesn't always work well with it. UWP apps don't work well with it at all.

Akronis

Edit:

Because people like him try to spin some narrative that PC gaming is hard. Dude is literally pulling examples from games that require emulators and are ancient. How is that a reasonable argument when those things aren't even possible on consoles? You're at the mercy of Sony or MS to play games with backwards compatibility on newer consoles.

I see a lot of people making fun of the "comfy couch" argument.

I haven't seriously played PC games in some years except for some exceptions, but now that I am building a strong-ass PC for work, I kind of want to play again but do not like desktop gaming.

I used to have everything in my bedroom so I could play my PC games on my big TV with a simple HDMI cable, but now that I work at home, I have an office room and my computer is at the other end of where my TV is.

I tried the Steam Link, which is fine but doesn't work always properly. I would not play daily or even weekly with it. I guess I could use a huge HDMI cable but it would be a nightmare to hide through 3 different rooms.

So... That is actually the only thing preventing me from playing on PC and I'm sticking on my PS3 and 4 for now.

How do you guys deal with that ?

fantasyGG

Neo Member

That guy is not even raising some reasonable arguments there. When console gamers are saying how bad PC gaming is, PC gamers defend it = PC gamers are assholes.

When pc gamers complaining about consoles = PC gamers are elitists.

Good mentality there.

Hilarious thread. Too much tinkering something that's subjective. Some will not want to tinker at all, some will love doing it. Overall, I don't think PC gaming meets the level of convenience to truly be universal and I think PC gamers need to make their peace with that.

I definitely side with traditional console gaming. Of all the fanboy gaming factions the smug superiority complex typical of pc fanboys is the most annoying to me and remains so. I would love to get real stats on these messageboards of the real level of pc hardware people are gaming with, and at what resolution and frame rate. Likely there's a lot of wannabe superiority that's going on in the fanboy ranks. I see the popularity of anything budget PC gaming on youtube.

autoduelist

Generally speaking, there are very few things I care to tinker with anymore. I used to spend a ton of time tinkering... now, with kids, if I have half an hour I seriously just want it to -work-. I don't want to play with borderlesswindows, or mess around with resolution [let alone framerate]. I just... don't care. I don't want to care. I have my laptop, and despite being relatively powerful, it runs games like crap [resolution issues out the kazoo], gets hot, and generally is no fun.

Meanwhile, I love just 'grab and go' console gaming.

I miss some keyboard heavy genres I grew up with [RTS, 4X, etc] but get by just fine. I still play roguelikes on my laptop. In general, though, if I want it on tv i go PS4, if I don't, I'll play on vita. I've probably rebought 20+ games on vita i already owned on steam, because I know i'll play them on vita. Whereas, every time i launch a new game on steam it's a crapshoot if i'll get to play right away, or spend 20minutes to 2 hours getting it to work right [I'd say 90% of games I launch on my laptop don't display properly].

Koyuga

because it is. sure it’s a lot simpler than 10 years ago but if you’re saying you can just play smoothly 100% of the time without having to sort out a few bugs or play with settings or update drivers you’re just flat out lying. these are things that are are ingrained into pc gaming and will never leave it as long as pc builds and operating systems remain so diverse.

Cool.

Don't mind the assholes.

Judging by this thread, one of the main pluses of being a PC gamer is a feeling of superiority over their console playing brethren. You don't want to be part of that clique.
This is actually one of the reasons I mainly play on console even though I own a good gaming pc. The fucking superiority master race is always on the defensive and so quick to look down on people that main on console.

When really who the hell even cares what other people use? Use whatever you like, just because one person thinks it’s too much work to tinker with pc doesn’t affect your experience in the slightest. This isn’t a dick size contest, just play the fucking games that’s why we are all here anyway.

And before anybody tries to start it, I’m obviously not saying it’s all Pc players that do this but they know who they are.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Because people like him try to spin some narrative that PC gaming is hard. Dude is literally pulling examples from games that require emulators and are ancient. How is that a reasonable argument when those things aren't even possible on consoles? You're at the mercy of Sony or MS to play games with backwards compatibility on newer consoles.
Ok I didn't know how old the games in his examples were, but if anything, that's an argument in favour of consoles. If I want to play my old Sega Genesis cart, I can just plug it in my old console and play it, but if I wanted to play old PC games that haven't been re-released digitally, I can't without either some serious tinkering, or keeping an ancient PC around which very, very few people do.

If I want to play my old Sega Genesis cart, I can just plug it in my old console and play it, but if I wanted to play old PC games that haven't been re-released digitally, I can't without either some serious tinkering, or keeping an ancient PC around which very, very few people do.

The savegames might not work anymore if the battery of the cartridge is out of power. If you want it to work again/save again, you have to replace the battery.

I love how graphics and performance are not important in PC threads, but over there at Digital Foundry threads console gamers are fighting over grassgate and 1-3 fps drops

Akronis

Ok I didn't know how old the games in his examples were, but if anything, that's an argument in favour of consoles. If I want to play my old Sega Genesis cart, I can just plug it in my old console and play it, but if I wanted to play old PC games that haven't been re-released digitally, I can't without either some serious tinkering, or keeping an ancient PC around which very, very few people do.

So the favorable solution to fan patches is literally to keep every console. Ok.

Also now the thread is literally just people complaining about PC gamers lol. How ironic.

JWiLL

Banned
"Ease of use" depends a lot on what you're trying to do. I'd argue, for example, that chatting on a headset is MUCH more likely to work "first time every time" on PS4/XB1 than on PC, especially if you switch between headset sound and speakers regularly.

With my Hyper X Cloud 2s I literally just plugged them in once and they worked.

Switching output on Windows 10 = click the volume icon on the tray and select speakers/headphones. It's 3 clicks now. It's easier than going in to a PS4 sound menu.

Not arguing which is more accessible, you just chose a weird example.

wazoo

I see Microsoft is trying to make progress on "usability" with its UWP format and we all reject that.

The fact is console gaming is basic in all its advantages and drawbacks, and at the same time PC gaming is open with all is advantages and drawbacks. The idea of of the "be all good" platform is a marketing "thing".

WGMBY

On one hand, I've had very few issues with my builds, but OTOH, I spent 3 hours this weekend reapplying thermal paste to my SO's new PC, reassembling it, checking the temps, then doing it again when the temps were still high. PC runs great now, but it was such a pain in the ass to get the heatsink off and on again that she asked me to do it when she had errands to run. She found the whole process too stressful TBH.

Generally in recent years that's been the exception rather than the rule. I remember pending ours hunting down patches and adjusting .ini files back in the day to get a game to even function, so the current state of it isn't too bad.

Keeping an ancient PC around is basically the equivelant of keeping an ancient console around, no?

It's a silly argument because if I only own a 2017 PC I can still play games from 1996, whereas if I only own a PS4 (or my TV doesn't recognize my PS1 and PS2's 240p output) and want to play a 1996 game I have to go out and buy a different console.

. The fucking superiority master race is always on the defensive and so quick to look down on people that main on console.
When really who the hell even cares what other people use.

Are you telling me console gamers don't argue about which console is better and their performance? Have a look at digital foundry threads

John Dunbar

correct about everything

getting old consoles to work on some tvs can be an even bigger hassle than getting old games to work on a pc.

univbee

With my Hyper X Cloud 2s I literally just plugged them in once and they worked.

Switching output on Windows 10 = click the volume icon on the tray and select speakers/headphones. It's 3 clicks now. It's easier than going in to a PS4 sound menu.

Not arguing which is more accessible, you just chose a weird example.

The PS4 at least auto-switches when you plug them in/disconnect them, you don't have to go into Device/Sounds at all, it just "knows" what you want to do (based on whether the headset is plugged in/on or not). That was what I was getting at.

And like I said initially, it's definitely possible to have it work well/transparently on PC as well, but it's less likely to happen than with the current consoles.

Put a Ff7 disc into a PS4 and tell me how long it takes you get it to play. I'll wait for your solution.

GHG

No, this is what I really think. Sorry that you have a different opinion 🙃.

What if I told you I play my PC games on my giant OLED?

You're free to have whatever thoughts you want, it doesn't make them any less ignorant.

Are you telling me console gamers don't argue about the performance of their consoles? Have a look at digital foundry threads
That’s literally not what I said. I never once mentioned arguing over stats. I don’t see them just shit on other people for their choices neatly as often. Also while I don’t frequent the foundry threads I don’t see Pro users shit on Slim users because they use a Slim. Now I do see Pro users shit on Pro users that can’t see much of a difference which is just as stupid.

I think all the arguing is fucking stupid. What I’m saying is that certain people just want to shit on other people’s choices so they feel superior “pc master race”.

Enjoy the fucking games people. But this is coming from someone who’s giving up their Pro for a Slim, and going from a $1000 gaming pc to a laptop in a year. I play games for games not graphics and superiority no matter what side I play on. Unless they are paying you there’s no reason to spend so much time arguing for your platform of choice.

neogaf is getting as bad as 4chan sometimes
and on that point I’m out. Enjoy people.

Akronis

That’s literally not what I said. I never once mentioned arguing over stats. I don’t see them just shit on other people for their choices neatly as often. Also while I don’t frequent the foundry threads I don’t see Pro users shit on Slim users because they use a Slim. Now I do see Pro users shit on Pro users that can’t see much of a difference which is just as stupid.

I think all the arguing is fucking stupid. What I’m saying is that certain people just want to shit on other people’s choices so they feel superior “pc master race”.

Enjoy the fucking games people.

Show us those people in this thread.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So the favorable solution to fan patches is literally to keep every console. Ok.

Also now the thread is literally just people complaining about PC gamers lol. How ironic.
Because they were the ones acting like dickheads and calling people names like "clowns" and "grandpa" and whatnot?

Keeping an ancient PC around is basically the equivelant of keeping an ancient console around, no?
Yeah, but who does that? I don't know anyone who does that, but I still have all my old consoles. Then again maybe I'm the weird one and keeping old consoles is as rare as keeping old PCs, IDK

It's a silly argument because if I only own a 2017 PC I can still play games from 1996, whereas if I only own a PS4 (or my TV doesn't recognize my PS1 and PS2's 240p output) and want to play a 1996 game I have to go out and buy a different console.
Not really saying otherwise, but it was in response to someone who did want to play an old PC game on his modern PC, and was told that he shouldn't expect it to work.

Oddly enough, a neighbor of mine who I've never really talked to walked over and knocked on my door yesterday. He said, "Hey I remember you told me a year ago you work with computers, can you help me install a mod for my favorite video game?" It was kind of awkward, since this guy is very awkward.. but I didn't mind helping out. He's a mid 40-something guy who lives at home with his aunt and seems incredibly inept socially so I imagine it took a lot of courage for him to walk over and ask for help. For that, I felt obligated to help the guy.

I went over to this house, and he was trying to install a companion mod for fallout new vegas. He didn't know how mods worked, and was downloading mod files and didn't know where to copy things. It required the mod, a script extender, and I ended up having to manually edit 2 config files to update a number of lines in order to get this to work. I was his house for 2 hours, but I did get it working. He asked when I was leaving if he was having issues if he could come over and I told him there, "No, sorry if you continue to have problems you'll need to google and figure it out. I"m not your IT support man.. " I felt bad, but I know the routine.

My wife was pissed I was gone for 2 hours, but it reminded me how surface PC gaming is fine these days. Building PCs/gaming PC's in the early 1990s was challenging, but in 2017 its like lego. BUT ... depending on what you're doing you can still get stuck in the rabbit hole.

khaaan

Anecdotally, I see more complaining about people claiming that PC games need a lot of configuration to get running. Unless you're messing around with dosbox, most things just work and I feel aside from the occasional random, most people have accepted that. The biggest offender used to be controller support but it tends to not really be an issue anymore.

Building a PC is a pain in the butt though, and in the future I'll probably just pick the parts and pay someone $50 to put it together. I can totally see why building one yourself is a barrier for some people.

Lorcain

I had an interesting experience recently when a neighbor who does software development told me he doesn't game on PC because he would be "too distracted by other things he could do on the PC". My immediate thought was "other things" = porn lol?? I don't know him well, but I felt like telling him it's ok, you learn to balance game time and porn. It's all good.

Top Bottom