• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PS5 controller support so dodgy on PC?

Krathoon

Gold Member
One thing I don't get is why some games don't have the same PS5 controller support on PC.

Hi Fi Rush is not using the controller speaker like the PS5 version. Hogwarts Legacy is not using the lights and contoller speaker like the PS5 version.

It is not a big deal to do this. Jedi Survivor has haptics, uses the controller speaker, and changes the light on the controller.

I bet support for it is already built into the game engines.

It has been a pet peeve of mine lately.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Some of games I've played with DualShock 4 support have made me not want the game to have DS4 support. On PC the Share button doesn't function as a share button, so there is no reason to waste the entire touchpad for Select when it is capable of so much more.

My preferred method is to use DS4Windows to emulate a 360 controller, which then frees up the touchpad to be whatever extras I need it to be. In a lot of games I end up having turbo for certain inputs, which can be a big boost to QOL. You can also achieve this with Steam Input, where the customisation is better but compatibility takes a hit.

The good thing about using DS4W is that you can have profiles that activate for certain games, so if you have a game you would rather see a DS4/5, it's as easy as setting up a profile where the controller is seen as what it is (or to disable DS4W entirely). You're not locked into using it at all, it just means a one time set up.

There may be some drawback with things like game-controlled lightbar changes like you described, but you can set it to passthru mode so it might work.

There is also DualSenseX that is available in Steam and to my understanding focuses on DS5 features, but it hasn't been around as long as DS4W and I don't know what state it's in.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Devs know that very few people are using Dualsense on PC. If you own a Dualsense there's a 99% chance you own a PS5 and it's where you're doing the majority of your gaming. Xbox controllers have been synonymous with PC for a very long time.

One thing I don't get is why some games don't have the same PS5 controller support on PC.

Hi Fi Rush is not using the controller speaker like the PS5 version. Hogwarts Legacy is not using the lights and contoller speaker like the PS5 version.

It is not a big deal to do this. Jedi Survivor has haptics, uses the controller speaker, and changes the light on the controller.

I honestly put that one on the devs. The ability to add support is clearly there because a lot of games have them but a lot of devs simply can't be arsed to add them. Only thing that's on Sony is offering a way to use the Dualsense wirelessly without losing its features, even if the only solution is releasing a proprietary dongle.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Yeah. I am going to have to really research a game to make sure that Dualsense is supported or not.

It is annoying because the PC version is usually the cheaper version.

People have been asking for full PS5 controller support on Hogwarts Legacy for ages.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real

That's up to developers. They will allocate resource to what most people are using, and most people are using 3rd party controllers of Xbox controllers, so they'll prioritize that.

Devs know that very few people are using Dualsense on PC. If you own a Dualsense there's a 99% chance you own a PS5 and it's where you're doing the majority of your gaming. Xbox controllers have been synonymous with PC for a very long time.
Then where the hell are all these Dualsense controllers being used on besides the PS5? The Dualsense and Dualsense Edge are the highest selling gaming accessories for gaming this gen, not just consoles....PC users on Steam have to factor into those numbers.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Then where the hell are all these Dualsense controllers being used on besides the PS5? The Dualsense and Dualsense Edge are the highest selling gaming accessories for gaming this gen, not just consoles....PC users on Steam have to factor into those numbers.
Good point. I don't think it's a massive coincidence that Steam got the update to increase support for PS controllers to the point of translating inputs for games that don't support it--and everything else that went into that.

I own a DS4 and I don't own a PS4. If it ever dies I'll get a DS5, and I don't own a PS5.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Are the DS5's native on PC now?

Ive been on the brink of getting one but id like to use it to its fullest potential.

King Dazzar

I have no doubt it'll just be down to time. They'll already be dealing with multiple interfaces with KB&M and Xbox controller. And they'll likely see the dualsense on PC as niche compared to the other two I mentioned.

ultrazilla

I use my Dualshock 5 on PC as *much* as I can. I prefer it to the Xbox One controller(which I own as well).
It just boils down to the developer really. There have been some great uses(Cyberpunk 2077 on PC with Dualshock 5 is great) while
others just don't bother to even recognize the controller. Hopefully it'll become common to support it as much as the Xbox controllers are.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's mainly on Sony dragging their feet on properly supporting all it's features wirelessly. Then again the added features are minor in my opinion and I don't even bother connecting it through USB even for Sony games.
Pretty sure a lot of people on PC have a dualsense though, and Sony could wrest even that from MS if they put in the effort.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

... They aren't. The PS5 only comes with one controller. Shit I bought a second at launch purely so I didn't have to keep the first one wired all the time when it ran out of battery after a few hours.

Getting some use on PC, sure, but nowhere near as much as Xbox.

Holammer

Developers would have an easier time to adopt the Dualsense in more games, its features & spread the use of PS symbols (important mindshare and brand awareness), if they just released a signed windows drivers, but they don't. Poor bastards are selling the peripherals at a loss, that's my only explanation that makes sense.

One of the most annoying lack of support of haptics for me is Hollow Knight, it's supported in the Switch version, but the Playstation & PC version don't have it. You can emulate it and play with Dual Sense haptics, but running at a mere 60fps? Oh God, that's animal cruelty!

StereoVsn

Since DualShock is supported in Steam, you should be able to configure a lot of the functionality on Steam controller setup and customize it per game if you would like.

It is annoying since devs couldn’t be arsed to properly support controllers but it is whatnot is.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Yeah. I will have to try out Cyberpunk. I heard the PS5 controller is pretty cool on it.

I think the Witcher 3 also uses it.

M1987

Dualsense has amazing support with Cyberpunk on PC now, even utilizing the speaker and feeling the gearshift in the triggers, ect. It’s a shining example of what developers could do with the tech.
Is it wireless or wired?

Closer

Maybe because Dualsense is only one type of controller while everyone else builds a Xinput or generic controller. You gain more adjusting for the standard, not the one that sells more.

Last edited:

Švejk

It's pretty much the main reason I cant enjoy PC gaming. It's a pain in the ass to configure let alone doesn't offer all the same features.

YCoCg

Xbox controllers have been synonymous with PC for a very long time.
I assumed Microsoft just made it so simple to use their stuff.
Because Microsoft wants you to use Xbox controllers LOL

And yet it's still utterly annoying and brain-dead that PC doesn't support features like rumble triggers on Xbox controllers unless it's UWP, which is dead these days so only Game pass stuff or UWP stuff from the Microsoft store have those features. They should've made that shit work with normal programmes years ago!

Three

Until those things become standard in other PC controllers (speakers, haptics, RGB) you're not going to see widespread support for it on PC software. PS5 controller use is still going to be popular on PC but it has additional features that aren't in most other controllers for publishers to bother with.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Is there an official driver for dual sense on pc? I don't think so. I think it still uses direct input. But that's the big difference as Xbox controllers are standardized in xinput.
If Sony made an official standard driver that could be included with the games then you would probably see a better implementation.

feynoob

Sony has nothing to do with how third party devs support the dualsense on their PC games lol (or PS5 ones for that matter)
Those guys dont even support psnow with their controller.
I hard time using the controller to play psnow pc.

They absolutely want you to buy ps5 with that controller.

Last edited:
... They aren't. The PS5 only comes with one controller. Shit I bought a second at launch purely so I didn't have to keep the first one wired all the time when it ran out of battery after a few hours.

Getting some use on PC, sure, but nowhere near as much as Xbox.
Huh? There are a considerable amount of PC users with Dualsense controllers, which is why there are paid apps on Steam to make them compatible with games that arent published by Sony. Its practically been the #1 selling accessory since it debut, even when there were console shortages affecting Sony and Microsoft. Dualsense Edge doesnt come with the console, but its also the highest dollar earning in accessory, with the regual Dualsense having the most sold.

Its a great controller. You can upgrade the battery as well.

Wwe Live Thumbs Up GIF

Last edited:

rm082e

No, it's just all the PS5 players replacing their controllers every 6 months when they die. I'm on my third controller and I barely play mine. My son is on his 4th and he's had his console less than 3 years. The Dual Sense is a fragile piece of shit.

Mr.Phoenix

Yup... this is annoying. Is it too much to ask to use my Dualsense to play MS games on my PC properly?

We should riot.

Larxia

That's funny, I stopped using a dualsense on death stranding when I saw it was using the lights :messenger_grinning_sweat: I personally hate the lights, I find it too distracting and I prefer to have them turned off as often as possible.
The super bright led on the xbox series controller is awful too.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Time to break that. PC gamers need to see the light of parallel sticks

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Because those extra DS features do not use standard DXInput, which is de facto standard while developing games. Or rather its not included in the library, because evil MS or something

Sony has nothing to do with how third party devs support the dualsense on their PC games lol (or PS5 ones for that matter)
they should get involved then if they are serious about PC and Plus Streaming. The 360 controller becoming the standard controller was an easy win for MS since their competition was Logitech and maybe Saitek, that naturally did not work on Xbox, Sony should have an interest to take that market too.

I would appreciate when plugging in my ds4 on my PC, it not automatically choose the 3,5mm jack to be the audio output, especially since there is nothing plugged in. eyeroll

Shifty1897

This. Why spend weeks of a dev's life working on proprietary features found in a DualSense when <1% of your playerbase is ever going to experience that on PC. It's a numbers game, and not a hard one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom