• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PS5 controller support so dodgy on PC?

JimboJones

I just use steam input, works fine. But I don't really care about the haptic shit on duelsense. As long as gyro works for the games I need it in i'm content.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I don't. Do as s/he is doing already?

But most PC games don't use those features, it's mostly multiplat console games that use them. So yeah I didn't understand "why he can't get into PC gaming"? Just becasue of haptics??

Play PS5 games on a PS5 with a PS5 controller and PC/Xbox games on PC with an Xbox controller, just as the gods intended. Works fine for everybody.

Three

But most PC games don't use those features, it's mostly multiplat console games that use them. So yeah I didn't understand "why he can't get into PC gaming"? Just becasue of haptics??

Play PS5 games on a PS5 with a PS5 controller and PC/Xbox games on PC with an Xbox controller, just as the gods intended. Works fine for everybody.
The PS5 controller works just as intended too just like a regular controller. It's those extra features that don't. It's what this thread is about if you read the OP. People don't want to deal with configuration to get those and even then not have some feature supported by the game itself. I'm not sure what's difficult to understand. It's just somebody's opinion.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv
What's so funny about not being able to enjoy almost the entire history of videogames up until a few years ago over some marginal controller gimmicks?

kurisu_1974

The PS5 controller works just as intended too just like a regular controller. It's those extra features that don't. It's what this thread is about if you read the OP. People don't want to deal with configuration to get those and even then not have some feature supported by the game itself. I'm not sure what's difficult to understand. It's just somebody's opinion.

It's not difficult to understand, it's just so much of a non-issue that I can't understand people struggling with it.

If you want the PS5 exclusive features on a PS5 controller, play those games on a PS5.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

That's exactly what the person said they're doing though. They just gave their opinion and why.

I still don't get how it effects them playing Xbox games on a PC with an Xbox controller so much that "they can't enjoy it" and "have to configure stuff". A lot (all?) Xbox games on PC don't even support those PS5 controller features I'm sure. Bottom line: just use the controller that's designed for the system? Or maybe it's more fun to be stuck in a mindset and complain on a forum.

Last edited:

poppabk

It's not difficult to understand, it's just so much of a non-issue that I can't understand people struggling with it.

If you want the PS5 exclusive features on a PS5 controller, play those games on a PS5.
There aren't any PS5 exclusive features on a PS5 controller (when wired). Just ones that aren't implemented in some games that do have them on PS5. Of course gyro aiming is available for more PC games but is limited on PS5 so go figure. Sony has struggled to implement their own features on PS5 and PC.

kurisu_1974

When they aren't implemented on platform (A) then they are exclusive to the platform they are implemented in (B), no?

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
There aren't any PS5 exclusive features on a PS5 controller (when wired). Just ones that aren't implemented in some games that do have them on PS5. Of course gyro aiming is available for more PC games but is limited on PS5 so go figure. Sony has struggled to implement their own features on PS5 and PC.
That is what is annoying. They can implement all the PS5 controller features on PC. They just choose not to do it.

There are games that have all the same PS5 controller features on PS5 and PC.

yamaci17

they're not choosing anything, it is something that is simply not on their list. some developers literally forget adding shader precompilation steps. don't expect fancy features to be there on a consistent basis when crucial stuff can be missing

dualsense features being there in some games has to do with probably some intern liking dualsense features so much on ps5 and wanting to keep playing with them on their PC as well. nothing more nothing less. so it all comes down to luck.

now, ps 1st party games have consistent support as expected. it is probably on their list. for the rest, it is hit or miss. I've argued with some people about dead space remake not having them features and someone said "well they have to pay sony and ea aint gonna do that" while jedi survivor fully supports them. it is just hit and miss and depends on some random developers' whim

Last edited:

poppabk

When they aren't implemented on platform (A) then they are exclusive to the platform they are implemented in (B), no?
Game (A)/(B), not platform, that's the point.
Maybe its just semantics but I would say if you want gyro aim in Rift Apart play on PC, I wouldn't say that if you want PC exclusive gyro aim on a PS5 controller in Rift Apart then play on PC.

Sentenza

Because the PS5 Dualsense isn't considered a "default controller" (as the Xbox one has been for more than 20 years at this point) on PC and developers are not under pressure (let alone moral mandate) to support it.
In a certain sense it's already remarkable that it can be used at all. Mostly thanks to the efforts of the community, as Sony couldn't be bothered to do it officially.

That said, as the owner of one, it's nice when the occasional developer goes the extra mile to support its most... advanced properties and features.

Last edited:

Švejk

It's not even about the haptics (which is a bomb ass bells & whistles feature, I don't care what people say).. it's not important to play. But unless the PS5 or 4 controller can link up wirelessly to a PC with the press of a button, and have headphone jack support through said controller, then playing on PC is a no go.

Using an xbox controller?
e6818036-c768-4af9-9957-d1be99e04f94_text.gif

Joking aside, Not gonna buy a controller just to play PC games. Too old, cheap and don't care to spend further money than I already have on my PC hardware.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Dualsense has amazing support with Cyberpunk on PC now, even utilizing the speaker and feeling the gearshift in the triggers, ect. It’s a shining example of what developers could do with the tech.

In Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty, walking near/getting close to the generators it was ace when you could feel the slight rumble of it as you got closer and it builds up in intensity
as you get near it. Gear shifts, weapon feedback, explosions, etc. Very well done. Agree, Cyberpunk 2077 is a shining example of the Dualshock 5 being used quite nicely on PC.

Last edited:
No, it's just all the PS5 players replacing their controllers every 6 months when they die. I'm on my third controller and I barely play mine. My son is on his 4th and he's had his console less than 3 years. The Dual Sense is a fragile piece of shit.
So you dont think it has nothing to do with the fact that Dualsense is a cool controller for games, and all of its sales can attributed to a failure rate? Sony would be facing a class action lawsuit like Nintendo did if that was the case, and investigated by the EU.

Not everybody's controllers get stick drift like you think. One thing to consider is that Sony has been running plenty of marketing and promotions for special themed controllers to launch with their games. Really popular options like the God of War Ragnarok and Spiderman 2 themed controllers.

Dualsense Edge is also the highest dollar earning accessory. Despite what ever reason you can find, the numbers show there a considerable amount of people willing to spend 200.00$ on this controller rather more durable or versatile options. There are more PC and Xbox gamers than there are playstation consoles only players, yet the Dualsense is outselling other controllers despite only having full compatibility on Playstation.

Why is it so hard to believe a lot of people enjoy the Dualsense enough to make it the most sold? Even Microsoft acknowledged how much of a difference it makes and wants to make their own Dualsense type controller because of how fun it is to use.

Codes 208

it annoys me how epic is generally partnered with playstation regarding anything but the epic store doesnt support wireless playstation inputs (you can still use a ds5 for a game like fortnite, but you’ll need a cable) an issue you dont get with xbox controllers.

But hey, at least more devs are finally adding actual ps inputs into their games. No more accidentally pressing the wrong X button for me

rm082e

So you dont think it has nothing to do with the fact that Dualsense is a cool controller for games, and all of its sales can attributed to a failure rate? Sony would be facing a class action lawsuit like Nintendo did if that was the case, and investigated by the EU.

Nah, I get it. I was just being an angry dick on the internet. :messenger_smiling:

poppabk

He has a point tho, there's no official dongle out Bluetooth official sorry for DS features on PC
Without a wireless driver you go from the subset of PC players with a dualsense - to the subset of players with a dualsense and who care enough about the extra features to use it wired.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Without a wireless driver you go from the subset of PC players with a dualsense - to the subset of players with a dualsense and who care enough about the extra features to use it wired.
Doesn't change the fact Sony doesn't give enough of a fuck, lol

Top Bottom