• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is there no speed limit on the German Autobahn?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I have probably asked myself this question half a dozen times in my life without ever looking for the answer. If I have, many of you have as well. Well, here's a (plausible) answer...

"The absence of speed limits on autobahns raises two puzzles: of all the places in the world, why does Germany, a nation so fond of rules, not have speed limits on autobahns and what are the conditions that ensure traffic order on the autobahn? In this essay, I will argue that Germany does not have speed limits on autobahns because of three main reasons: economically, the government does not impose speed limits on autobahns to support the prestigious German automotive industry; culturally, the autobahn represents superior German manufacturing and symbolizes personal freedom, which are the qualities that associate with the nation’s identity. Finally, traffic order and safety on the autobahn are ensured despite the absence of speed limits thanks to existing state regulations on road conditions, vehicle standards, and the acquisition of a driver’s license, which set good norms of compliance with traffic rules and better traffic order, allowing more freedom of speed and more enjoyable road safety as a public good on the autobahn.“

0*3rLLXxLBKbAKjLwU.gif

TVexperto

There are only parts of it where its unlimited .. mostly its 120/130kmh .. but last week I was driving through a new autobahn in germany with 250 kmh (155 mph) and it was amazing.

honestly due to rising traffic and so man construction zones its impossible to really enjoy the unlimited speed limit

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

230 was my maximum but generally i drive only 140 to 150. With my kids not more then 130. I don't need no speed limit but i would also not like to have it taken away. Its part of our culture that gets more and more diminished so at least this should stay.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
First time I got on the autobahn and floored it to 155 I thought it was incredible, then I was overtook by a Mercedes something going so fast I felt it's bloody wake, I then slowed down to a reasonable 90 and thought fuck getting a blow out at 155, sure as hell was able to eat those miles tbf and everyone used the proper lanes and all, none of these idiots hogging the overtaking lane

Last edited:

dave_d

Because German drivers know what the lanes are for. Here in Massachusetts it's literally the law you're supposed to use the right lane on the highway except if you're passing or taking a left exit ramp. However people just camp so much in the passing lane I can believe they think that lane is actually called the "Pah-Sing" lane but they don't know what that means, they don't speak Mandarin.

ssringo

Lived there in the early to mid 2000s and essentially learned to drive by their standards. I loved being able to go as fast as my $1000 POS car could go (~200kmh/124mph) and wishing I wasn't broke so I could buy a faster car. Was crazy going that fast only for someone to fly by like I wasn't even moving.

These days I'm perfectly fine with 55-65mph for most trips and the occasional 75mph on interstates.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Interestingly enough, the author says 88mph is the average speed for cars on the unrestricted portions of the Autobahn. There are a number of highways in America where the average speed has to be 80+mph.

I would add jumps to the fastest parts of the autobahn with motion sensored cameras so people can buy cool photographs of them flying in their car.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
A guy from Venezuela told me they don't have speed limits on their highways or at least none that are enforced by police, the speed is enforced by the general shitty quality of the roads.

jason10mm

Gold Member
My fondest dream is to be able to buy a BMW or Porsche that gets me a chance to go out to the factory and be taught to drive it over there.

Funny, Ford does not seem to offer the same chance :p

Tams

Because German drivers know what the lanes are for. Here in Massachusetts it's literally the law you're supposed to use the right lane on the highway except if you're passing or taking a left exit ramp. However people just camp so much in the passing lane I can believe they think that lane is actually called the "Pah-Sing" lane but they don't know what that means, they don't speak Mandarin.

Middle lane hoggers are a scourge everywhere. To make things worse, they cause others to have to middle lane hog, or worse, outer lane hog.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Got to go on the autobahn once. Sadly my car was on eco mode so 180 km/h was the max I could. Still a fun moment to remember and if there is a next time I will go faster if I can.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
There are only parts of it where its unlimited .. mostly its 120/130kmh .. but last week I was driving through a new autobahn in germany with 250 kmh (155 mph) and it was amazing
I get scared shitless when I go above 80...

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Problem is. As soon as you go past 130 and are involved in an accident you take part of the blame. No matter how dump or reckless the guy in front of you behaved.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
My Panda would fall apart if I pushed it past 160. At 150 it already vibrates so much that cars in the rear-view mirror are a blur.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What are the accident stats
"It may seem counterintuitive, but for a road system with such relaxed restrictions, the autobahn actually has a very good safety record.

For example, less than 10% of fatal road collisions in Germany take place on autobahns, with the majority happening on country and inner cities roads. Meanwhile, compared to the 4.5 fatalities per billion km travelled on the US interstate, the autobahn sees just 2.7 fatalities for the same distance.

There are several theories about why the road network remains relatively safe. The first is that it is more expensive to obtain a driving licence in Germany (around $1,500 USD / £1,200) and – combined with such a strict licensing test system – German drivers are generally better trained because of it. The ultra-smooth condition of the roads is also a contributing factor to the safety of the network.

Incredibly, the largest ever pile-up on the autobahn network involved 259 cars on a stretch of the A2 in 2009 due to heavy rain. Even more incredible, there were no fatalities."

Garibaldi

I did about 180mph on it on my s1000rr when we toured Europe a few summers ago on the bikes.

Honestly it was both brilliant and terrifying at the same time. Highly (don't) recommend it.

Much preferred gunning it round the mountain passes though.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
"It may seem counterintuitive, but for a road system with such relaxed restrictions, the autobahn actually has a very good safety record.

For example, less than 10% of fatal road collisions in Germany take place on autobahns, with the majority happening on country and inner cities roads. Meanwhile, compared to the 4.5 fatalities per billion km travelled on the US interstate, the autobahn sees just 2.7 fatalities for the same distance.

There are several theories about why the road network remains relatively safe. The first is that it is more expensive to obtain a driving licence in Germany (around $1,500 USD / £1,200) and – combined with such a strict licensing test system – German drivers are generally better trained because of it. The ultra-smooth condition of the roads is also a contributing factor to the safety of the network.

Incredibly, the largest ever pile-up on the autobahn network involved 259 cars on a stretch of the A2 in 2009 due to heavy rain. Even more incredible, there were no fatalities."
I guess German police are particularly strict on texting while driving, then.
Remove the limits in Italy and watch the accidents skyrocket.

Doczu

Love the unlimited zones on the Autobahn. Every time i did tripa Poland -> Netherlands i would plan my way so that i had some fun there, trying to push the car to the limits.

Fastest i went was 210km, my Fiat was crying. Engine screamed "more!" but the transmission was a bottleneck.

I love it when some exotics, tunes or super cars pass you at 300 km or more. God it must be amazing to go that fast...

Top Bottom