• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't David Davis (MP) trying to kiss Diane Abbott (MP) being labeled harassment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slider

I don't think it's important who "came out on top" (and frankly shame on you for making me use that phrase with reference to either David Davis OR Dianne Abbot)

Lol.

I guess I meant, if he used an attempted kiss as part of his point scoring it is important. IMO, there's a line that's been crossed.

Anyway, I'm out. Time to take the dog out.

Cheers!

Not in all walks of life. I have never kissed randoms to say hello .

Same here. I see family members kiss each other on the cheek, I've never seen any of my friends kiss one another as a greeting. It's not France.

Again in this context he did it to wind her up, it's unprofessional that he felt he could kiss someone as a joke. It doesn't help that he's a right cunt either. Labour and Tories aren't the best of chums.

SKINNER!

Banned
Yes it is

Lmao, what part of poncey Britain are you from? Hugs as a greeting between acquaintances and friends is the only thing I've seen here. Kissing (cheek kissing) would be hella weird unless its your girlfriend/boyfriend or maybe your parents if that's how you roll in your family. This isn't fucking France or Italy.

Are David Davis and Diane Abbott in a relationship, related or French or Italian? No? then it's hella weird.

hodgy100

Depends on situation, i have in bars and clubs

And you can hardly call them randoms to each other

they aren't friends though or even co-workers. they are in opposition this kiss thing is just davids being an absolute twat. it i pissed someone off then tried to kiss them here i'd be sacked.

Lmao, what part of poncey Britain are you from? Hugs as a greeting between acquaintances and friends is the only thing I've seen here. Kissing (cheek kissing) would be hella weird unless its your girlfriend/boyfriend or maybe your parents if that's how you roll in your family. This isn't fucking France or Italy.

Are David Davis and Diane Abbott in a relationship, related or French or Italian? No? then it's hella weird.

Maybe me being a friendly person attracts other friendly people

SKINNER!

Banned
hes not being friendly he did it to get a reaction and it worked.

Classic school playground antics...conducted by an overpaid, immature crooked sleazeball who's affiliated with a party that's in charge of determining policies in this country.

and who said everybody needs to grows up?

liquidtmd

Banned
I honestly dont know if you are being serious or not but there is a massive difference from what happened with you to what is being described in the OP.

Yes I'm being serious. The point I was responding to was that there should be no contact in the workplace.

As you state, context is key. Since there is no contextual detail in the OP outside of what's being reported, I reserve the right to not judge it automatic 'harassment'

liquidtmd

Banned

On a subject about appropriateness, what a delightfully appropriate way of putting it on a multinational board like GAF /s

Playsage

I don't know, guys. web says it is still a common practice in the UK.

Then, if he hasn't persisted on exchanging the greeting with her after the refusal , it would just be a mild taunt.

If it turns out that he went on with it, then, yeah, the guy should be admonished.

SKINNER!

Banned
On a subject about appropriateness, what a delightfully appropriate way of putting it on a multinational board like GAF /s

Strange, I don't recall stating that cheek kiss greetings are generally bad or inappropriate. If it were common practice to conduct them in other countries then I'd be in the minority for stating that the practice is strange. It's about cultural context. Pointing out differences in cultures does not mean I'm being insensitive/negative to them.

Furthermore, you choose to still believe that Davis was not doing what he did for a reaction even though his behavior alludes to this. This wasn't no casual "Hey Diane, How's the family? Haven't seen you in ages!" hug/kiss situation.

What a delightfully appropriate way to twist my words and unnecessarily paint me in a different shade of brush on a multinational board like GAF. You should keep those remarks for the comments section of the Daily Mail. They love that kinda stuff.

Jackpot

Banned
For context, it'd be if Mitch McConnell tried to kiss Elizabeth Warren for voting through one of Trump's appointees.

I hate David Davis but he isn't in the wrong here. He got rejected and he backed off and didn't bother her again. If he kept trying to do it (which would be sexual harassment) then yeah, you should admonish him for his behavior.

liquidtmd

Banned
What a delightfully appropriate way to twist my words and unnecessarily paint me in a different shade of brush on a multinational board like GAF. You should keep those remarks for the comments section of the Daily Mail. They love that kinda stuff.

If you don't see a problem with the bolded parts I was referring too, that's your problem not mine.

'Poncey Britain...This isnt fucking France or Italy'. Jesus wept. Yes, because being appreciative and an adoption of their eqituette would make us 'poncey'

jelly

It's maybe something you do if haven't seen each other in ages and enjoy each other's company as friends or whatever but I doubt that applies to them so Davis is being a twat.

Doesn't that bat have one of the greatest wine cellars in the world. What a fucking joke. Our great public servants.

Carl2291

Diane Abbott isn't one to keep something like this quiet, especially if it gets her political points, so if anything bad happened I'd expect her to use it to her and Labour's advantage.

Mindwipe

Not in the UK it isn't.

It really, really is.

We have nowhere near enough context here to be honest. If he leant in for a snog he's a dickhead, if he went for a greeting airkiss on each cheek the issue it's nothing and it's being misreported.

But we don't have a clue.

shoreu

politicians-kissing.png

There are thousands more examples. It's often a social equiette
Lol she looks like she wants more than a kiss 😂

Mr. Sam

Stephen Bush's take on it:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/02/why-diane-abbott-was-right-tell-david-davis-f

So why aren’t the headlines “Secretary of State attempts to humiliate woman”, or “Secretary of the State tries to kiss woman without her consent”, “Brexit minister under pressure to apologise to MP”, or some variant thereof? These aren’t behaviours that would be viewed anything other than dimly in any other workplace. Why is the focus on Abbott telling Davis to “fuck off” and not on his behaviour?

These are rhetorical questions, of course. We all know why.

BadHand

Guess my hometown in working class Essex is "Poncey Britain" (sounds like a Daily Mail catch phrase). It was very common for male/female and female/female friends and family to kiss once on the cheek when greeting or saying goodbye.

Honestly, considering the furore surrounding Abbott's voting on invoking Article 50 (she abstained on the first reading, yes on the second), it wouldn't surprise me if the 'fuck off' was for whatever no-doubt needling comment Davis made to her. A 'thank you for your support' or 'glad you're feeling better' would both warrant a 'fuck off' at the very least!

Beefy

It really, really is.

We have nowhere near enough context here to be honest. If he leant in for a snog he's a dickhead, if he went for a greeting airkiss on each cheek the issue it's nothing and it's being misreported.

But we don't have a clue.

Not according to many websites. A handshake is seen as the norm, kissing the cheek is just for close friends and family. I myself don't kiss the cheek of friends or even close friends. Let alone people I have worked with.

But then Davis didn't do this to greet Abbott .

Zen Aku

Why did you have to post that Ted Cruz gif. I want to vomit now...

I've never kissed a co-worker before. (Well nvm I dated one)

But I've hugged co-workers before. Like if I won't see them for a week or if I'm leaving a job. It's not normal. I agree, context is important and if someone stop you or show sign of back off the first attempt of a kiss/hug. Don't try it again. Not that hard..

Sometimes people are bad at reading cues

pulsemyne

Not according to many websites. A handshake is seen as the norm, kissing the cheek is just for close friends and family. I myself don't kiss the cheek of friends or even close friends. Let alone people I have worked with.

But then Davis didn't do this to greet Abbott .
Yeah he did this to rub it in about the Brexit vote. The mans an odious horrible shit bag.

Kelthink

Davis must look up to Trump, he regularly does the batshit soundbite thing and now he wants in on the harrassment game. He's nuts, and he should indeed fuck off.

Walshicus

'Poncey'? No need for homophobic slurs...

Besides, It's not that uncommon. I don't know anyone who doesn't kiss different gender friends hello.

Not that this case is covered. They're obviously not friends.

Nerazar

Lol she looks like she wants more than a kiss 😂

We all want more than a kiss with Barack :)

@OT:
That's classic harassment. It at least starts there and he should (and probably did know) that she didn't want to be kissed on the mouth. I don't think it was a polite cheek kiss he was after.

The next time any guy just goes up and tries to kiss your girl you just going to let it happen because its not harassment.

Fuck off with this "its not harassment"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom