• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't Nintendo making MORE games like Splatoon?

Papacheeks

Banned
I use to think that this was a Nintendo thing, and for quite a few years it was. Even when Nintendo made new IPs they were either insanely low budget (Flingsmash! or Steel Diver), or even if it was a new game it still felt old because it adhered to the rigid style and feel of a Nintendo game (Wii ____), . But in reality this is an industry wide thing. Just look at most of the "new" IPs on the Xbox One and PS4: Driveclub, The Evil Within, The Order 1886, Ryse, Knack, etc. All of these games are more or less retreads of what we had the previous gen and even before that.

Even games that were suppose to be the posterchild of unique gameplay experiences were said to be boring and same. Titanfall was suppose to revolutionize multiplayer FPSs but ended up being a blip on the radar as it was seen as the community as Call of Duty with mechs and now sits at $10 on Amazon less than a year after release. Watchdogs floored everyone when it was revealed at E3 2012. While at first look many would assume because of the graphics, but in reality it was the interesting gameplay and premise, as well as political undertones that sold people on it. Yet when released people were disappointed with it, even boxing it in with Ubisoft's "generic AAA open world game" trope. The reality is that while these games tried to be different they both hit the checklist of what most big game releases are today. Either a dark, gritty, hollywood-like, single player game with an open world map, or a testosterone fueled, 16-26 target market, multiplayer shooter.

This is why Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive get so much praise from the gaming community, while Nintendo can't figure why Nintendoland underperformed and AAA publishers can't understand why people were disappointed with Titanfall. It is because Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive don't present themselves like most games in the market and don't play like nearly anything in the market.

Sadly this used to not be too uncommon. It's the reason why the "gives me Dreamcast vibes" thing is a meme. Because back in the day developers made high profile games that were unique all the time. However in an age when games cost developers tens of millions it is understandable that few people would want to add risk to their investment. It's odd that videogames have been chasing to become like Hollywood for decades, and now that they are close to achieving their goals they seem to be inheriting many of Hollywood's characteristics. Expensive, demographic focused, constant stream of sequels, and lack of uniqueness. This is an industry wide thing and it goes far beyond Nintendo.

You make some good points but titanfall's issue wasn't the gameplay, it was lack of content that killed that game. No single palyer, bare bones modes at launch, and nothing new to unlock after regen.
A game going for 60$ with very little content to keep people there will only last so long, the same thing will be for Evolve after playing the alpha I hope there's more than what they are advertising.

Splatoon look's really unique, but unfortunately unless it has something that Nintendo can market like a cool co-op feature and advertise it as the a system seller their always have these type of issues with new IP's they create.
Games like Metro, and The witcher were total risk's for polish developers who literally had nothing, and even at some point didn;t even have heat in the building they worked in. But they plugged along and made a great game that was featured many times by PC magazine, and word of mouth helped sell that game enough for them to make a sequel.

Sunset Overdrive has a huge ad campaign and Microsoft has been doing crazy PR with even making live action movie/trailer shorts.
It's also from an Established developer known for their unique fun addictive games like Ratchet, Resistance 1 and 3.
They also know what demographic they are trying to go for, and know co-op modes like Gears of War horde mode are played all the time.

So that's what they made with Chaos Squad, only with that Insomniac crazy flair. Splatoon looks neat, but Nintendo lacks the insight on how to market that game and many other's for the correct demographic.
If they wanted different demographics outside of family's and hardcore Nintendo fan's we would see a better PR push for the console itself to reflect the different kind of buyer's. Like a older PR push of the Kids going to bed and Dad boots up Bayonetta 2, Zombie U, X chronicles, or gets online to play smash with his buddies while drinking a beer.

They could do it, but I doubt Nintendo will, at least for this console generation.

zruben

Banned
Can someone tell me why new IPs by Nintendo tend to go under the radar? On a surface level, they don't look all too different than what Nintendo normally make and I wonder what drives people to steer clear of them.

it's a combination of lack of marketing + fans too afraid of stepping out of their comfort zone.

cheesekao

it's a combination of lack of marketing + fans too afraid of stepping out of their comfort zone.
I'm curios as to why this seems to be a common problem for Nintendo console owners though. Plenty of new IP's by Sony have sold really well and microsoft too but to a lesser degree.

Ansatz

You make some good points but titanfall's issue wasn't the gameplay, it was lack of content that killed that game. No single palyer, bare bones modes at launch, and nothing new to unlock after regen.
A game going for 60$ with very little content to keep people there will only last so long, the same thing will be for Evolve after playing the alpha I hope there's more than what they are advertising.

Huh? Then why was Counter-Strike such a huge success?

Had no single player, few modes, a couple of "official" maps and nothing to unlock.

Taker666

I'm curios as to why this seems to be a common problem for Nintendo console owners though. Plenty of new IP's by Sony have sold really well and microsoft too but to a lesser degree.

Sony/Microsoft seem willing to spend far more on marketing..both instore (in regards to initial shelfspace and demopods) and on TV.

In the UK...I can honestly say that I think I've seen more TV ads for Sunset Overdrive in the last few weeks, than the entire Wii U and 3DS line-up combined for the last 12 months.

cheesekao

Had no single player, few modes, a couple of "official" maps and nothing to unlock.
CS came out over a decade ago and it was pretty special at that time and has been a long standing fan base since then. The obscene number of mods and custom maps that CS has also keeps people coming back for more. That's what I can tell from my observation.

Sony/Microsoft seem willing to spend far more on marketing..both instore (in regards to initial shelfspace and demopods) and on TV.

In the UK...I can honestly say that I think I've seen more TV ads for Sunset Overdrive in the last few weeks, than the entire Wii U and 3DS line-up combined for the last 12 months.
I actually didn't know that. I wonder how Nintendo still hasn't realised that brand recognition can only get them so far. Their decision to not hold E3 press conferences anymore and rely on Nintendo Directs really makes me scratch my head. Nintendo Directs may very well be more efficient but it's kinda like an echo chamber imo.

AgeEighty

Given how AC, CoD and a small handful of other titles seem to dominate at all times, I'm not so sure it is.

I've never seen any numbers to suggest that Sony's IPs sell radically better than Nintendo's, at least not when install bases are factored in. And Sony doesn't really have a marquee first or second party IP brand or pair of brands that can be said to be their big two like a Mario or Zelda.

Ansatz

The Sony new IPs that sold well are equivalent games to other established franchises.

The Sony new IPs that flopped are the quirky/unique games, the games that are truly new and different. Weird and abstract. Well except LBP.

MS is to a lesser degree because they prefer to moneyhat 3rd parties with stuff like timed exclusive DLC i.e. try to be the best place for multiplat gaming instead of investing in 1st party content. They've shown that they can just as easily establish new IPs but they're also equivalent games: Forza is a Gran Turismo variation, not something truly new.

A truly new concept would be a racing game that has no acceleration button, instead the game is about slowing down to take curves as efficient as possible. It's a completely new way of thinking. These types of new and abstract IPs, which I want, tend to flop.

cheesekao

Given how AC, CoD and a small handful of other titles seem to dominate at all times, I'm not so sure it is.

I've never seen any numbers to suggest that Sony's IPs sell radically better than Nintendo's, at least not when install bases are factored in. And Sony doesn't really have a marquee first or second party IP brand or pair of brands that can be said to be their big two like a Mario or Zelda.
We're talking about new IP's here though.

LBP on the PS3 sold over 4.5 million copies as of 2010.
Uncharted 1 and The Last of US were also multi million sellers.
Infamous 1 sold around 2 million I think.

Sony may not have a "star player" in their team but it is my belief that their entire team together shines just as bright.

The Sony new IPs that flopped are the quirky/unique games, the games that are truly new and different. Weird and abstract. Well except LBP.

The Sony new IPs that sold well are equivalent games to other established franchises.
If I'm not mistaken, Locoroco, Patapon, Shadow of the Colossus and Tokyo Jungle sold pretty well. I'm not sure how puppeteer did though but that game certainly falls into the quirky category.

Also, didn't uncharted take the whole "cinematic gaming" shtick to a whole new level wasn't that what made people like it?

Nintendo is making games like that, just like they always have. The same Nintendo that made all-time favorites like Mario, Metroid, Punch-Out and Donkey Kong also made Uniracers, and Animal Crossing, and Pushmo, and Disaster. They never, ever stopped or slowed down on trying new gameplay ideas and creating new IP, large and small, AAA console or eShop handheld.

What they need to do is make AAA IPs for console (and port down to handheld too) that check off the boxes that third-parties normally help fill on other consoles. I'd love to see Nintendo with an arena FPS that is like Unreal Tournament or TF2 or something. I'd love to see Nintendo return to sports sims like baseball/basketball/soccer/American football. I'd love to see Nintendo make a new racing game (F-1 cars, motorcycles, jet skis, snowboards, speedboats, etc). I'd love to see Nintendo make a character action adventure game; why can't they revive Startropics as some kind of modernized Zelda-alike in a world that looked more like ours (like Uncharted or Indiana Jones or something)?

Nintendo needs to do that, and advertise/push it alongside their main stuff. They need to release these things irrespective of whether or not they'll sell. They need to release them so that there is an environment in their fanbase for these types of games to exist in the first place.
Totally agree with this. They never really recovered after NoA lost its autonomy and selling off Rare. People seem to forget that they had a heavy western presence before Iwata took reigns from Yamauchi.

Totally agree with this. They never really recovered after NoA lost its autonomy and selling off Rare. People seem to forget that they had a heavy western presence before Iwata took reigns from Yamauchi.

Reading about the formation of NOA in that book Console Wars has been cool. You really see who and how they all worked together to do something special.

No, to me you implied Mario and Zelda are considerably more polished than other Nintendo IPs. In my opinion, even Kirby or Fire Emblem are more consistently polished than Zelda. And I still don't understand the budget thing - Mario, particularly in 2D (which always outsell 3D Mario - dat mass appeal!) must be incredibly cheap to make.

In the end, who exactly is making huge, timeless franchises like Mario? Hardly anyone short of Minecraft which probably wouldn't count either since it's not a AAA or whatever. Heck, despite the thread title, Splatoon is likely to also not count since it might not be a "mass appeal" game with uber expensive marketing.
You have your opinion, and I have my own. And the push behind 2D Mario games is incomparable to the push behind any other game they release, so I don't know if you realize that you are affirming my point.

And not every franchise has to be the size of Mario, good strawman though. Other publishers have multiple level AAA IP, and continue to produce new ones to add to that stable. (Gears, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, etc were all started last generation.) Nintendo does not do this, and definitely not on the level of their competitors.

How do you know they aren't? Higher budgets and flashy ad campaigns don't necessarily translate directly to more eyeballs on a game; you have to target the right people. I can see dudebros being beguiled by flashy minute-long seven figure CoD ads during Sunday Night Football, but I don't see the Activision brand of advertising bombast as something likely to be beneficial to Nintendo's games.

And I still don't see how different companies' ad budgets are relevant to you as an end user. It's not a "welcome to gaming in 2014" thing at all, as many of us play what looks good to us and don't allow our enjoyment or anticipation to be affected by irrelevant concerns like how much money the developer is shilling out to to woo us with marketing. It's a leisure activity, not a dinner date.

I mean, only kids are impressed by things like that.
Only kids are impressed by advertising? What kind of sense does that make? Nintendo can continue to make their critically acclaimed titles, but as long as they do not provide the necessary exposure, they will continue to bomb a la Wonderful 101. Capturing the appeal of a widest possible audience is the exact way to show case a game. Until Nintendo starts focusing on that, their situation will not change.

And yet you forgot the one key thing - said "polish" (this implication that the new IP they make are crap or unpolished is very offensive) came from being IPs that are nurtrured from multiple releases.

Because I'm pretty sure if you put out Mario today, it wouldn't be selling hotcakes and known. Mario is known because it lasted for many years. Why do people always forget this very fact?

Also AAA budget? lol
I know why Mario is known. And yeah, I'm pretty sure that if Mario dropped today and was only showcased in Nintendo directs and on the eShop, it would rightfully bomb. Which is exactly how Nintendo is treating all of their other new IP basically. Other companies are delivering games that sell like "hotcakes" through the development of new IP. Where is Nintendo?

RM8

You have your opinion, and I have my own. And the push behind 2D Mario games is incomparable to the push behind any other game they release, so I don't know if you realize that you are affirming my point.

And not every franchise has to be the size of Mario, good strawman though. Other publishers have multiple level AAA IP, and continue to produce new ones to add to that stable. (Gears, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, etc were all started last generation.) Nintendo does not do this, and definitely not on the level of their competitors.
If your point is that Nintendo should promote their games more, then I agree.

If your point is that Nintendo should make more AAA games (budget wise) then I don't get it. Even ignoring Mario's low budgets, Splatoon (the kind of IP that Nintendo doesn't make often enough according to this thread) itself is probably not extremely expensive, but I guess there's no way to know. Xenoblade X is probably the currently most expensive Nintendo game.

Sorry I just can't accept the argument that 3rd party games should count "because Nintendo"

Many that Sony game Metal Gear Solid 4 was awesome!

AgeEighty

We're talking about new IP's here though.

LBP on the PS3 sold over 4.5 million copies as of 2010.
Uncharted 1 and The Last of US were also multi million sellers.
Infamous 1 sold around 2 million I think.

Sony may not have a "star player" in their team but it is my belief that their entire team together shines just as bright.

Almost all of Sony's top selling new IPs were by second parties or by third parties with a publishing agreement with Sony. Other people in this thread have suggested that similar such titles created by Nintendo second parties aren't "AAA" because they weren't made by EAD. There's a lot of double standards happening here.

If I'm not mistaken, Locoroco, Patapon, Shadow of the Colossus and Tokyo Jungle sold pretty well. I'm not sure how puppeteer did though but that game certainly falls into the quirky category.

They sold moderately to slowly, in much the same way that Nintendo's supposedly non-existent new IPs largely have.

Only kids are impressed by advertising? What kind of sense does that make? Nintendo can continue to make their critically acclaimed titles, but as long as they do not provide the necessary exposure, they will continue to bomb a la Wonderful 101. Capturing the appeal of a widest possible audience is the exact way to show case a game. Until Nintendo starts focusing on that, their situation will not change.

No, only kids are impressed by publicized budgets. "Ooh, they spent five mil on ads for this game, must be a good one" is a ridiculous way to think about quality in gaming.

It sounds to me like your solution for Nintendo to do better is for them to not be Nintendo, to make the same kind of games everyone else makes, and to blow huge amounts of money on ads and hype (which is a huge gamble that has sunk many a development studio).

Thank god no one with your opinions is in charge there.

If your point is that Nintendo should promote their games more, then I agree.

If your point is that Nintendo should make more AAA games (budget wise) then I don't get it. Even ignoring Mario's low budgets, Splatoon (the kind of IP that Nintendo doesn't make often enough according to this thread) itself is probably not extremely expensive, but I guess there's no way to know. Xenoblade X is probably the currently most expensive Nintendo game.
You know, I think you're right in terms of budgets. It's not exactly the sticker price behind the game that's the issue for me, I think it's the themes and approach that are bothering me. How come there can't be another franchise that tackles the concept of exploring a huge world with skill building elements? Where are the games with the massive lore and storytelling abilities? Where are the new mascot characters? I think part of the reason that people don't "count" Nintendo's new IP is because they rarely tackle these sorts of concepts, and when they do (Operation Rainfall), they don't throw a huge campaign behind it to sell these titles.

I do understand though that Nintendo is in a bind/limited in what they can put out at once, and they are starting to address some of these things, but it just sucks to watch them be so behind in places that other companies are delivering on.

No, only kids are impressed by publicized budgets. "Ooh, they spent five mil on ads for this game, must be a good one" is a ridiculous way to think about quality in gaming.

It sounds to me like your solution for Nintendo to do better is for them to not be Nintendo, to make the same kind of games everyone else makes, and to blow huge amounts of money on ads and hype (which is a huge gamble that has sunk many a development studio).

Thank god no one with your opinions is in charge there.
I'm not really going to dignify your post with a proper response, since it seems as if you haven't done the same. I'll let you continue pulling things out of thin air and ignoring that there is actually a problem with Nintendo here.

Gruco

Banned
I think there are three main reasons people ignore new Nintendo IP

1) Don't realize it's Nintendo (the Xenoblade phenomenon)
2) Doesn't count, too casual (the Wii series, despite some installments like Wii Sports Resort being great).
3) Doesn't count, downloadable (Pushmo, despite the fact that Pushmo is amazing).

I think Xenoblade, the Wii series, and Pushmo are the best recent examples of why "no new IP since Pikmin" is wrong, due to the really clear quality and/or popularity of those games.

HarmoKnight and Dillon's Rolling Western certainly exist, but have a much less effusive fanbase so it's hard for me to blame people for overlooking them. (If Drill Dozer comes to Virtual Console though, I hope GAF will help it get the attention it deserves).

Overall I think Nintendo has a lot of bases covered. They have established franchises, of course. They're working to grow new higher profile ones like Splatoon, Xenoblade, and S.T.E.A.M. And they have smaller scale ones to try new concepts like Pushmo. If anything I wish we'd see more casual titles because those are typically pretty fun and refreshing.

The big glaring gap is in western oriented games. Nintendo (NoA) used to be really good filling this with all sorts of strategic partnerships (RARE, Left Field, Factor 5, Silicon Knights) and NST. It's a model I'd love to see them take more seriously again, and which would probably have better results than seeing EAD try to impersonate Ubi.

AgeEighty

I'm not really going to dignify your post with a proper response, since it seems as if you haven't done the same. I'll let you continue pulling things out of thin air and ignoring that there is actually a problem with Nintendo here.

I'm pulling nothing out of thin air; I'm responding directly to what you've said. You're blaming Nintendo's troubles on the amount of money Nintendo throws into their games and the advertising of them, as if there's a direct correlation between money and quality. You also take issue with the types of games they make, and have suggested a direction for them that's decidedly different from the types of games they want to make.

And I think all of that is misguided.

EDIT: Additionally, I don't claim Nintendo doesn't have any problems. But the output of their in-house and second party studios isn't one of them. Their third party presence is.

Because people had lower standards 15 years ago. I'm sure CS:GO has significantly more content then the first Counter Strike did. It needs to to keep people interested.

Mexen

By that I mean, from everything they've shown so far, this game seems to encapsulate everything that makes Nintendo great --

1) Cool new gameplay
2) Colorful, fun graphical style
3) Charming as hell
4) Introduction of new 'characters'
5) A new IP that's also a system exclusive!

Innovate and create. Isn't that what Nintendo always used to do? Just like they're doing here with Splatoon.

So why is it such a rarity then that we get a game like this from them? Why not more games like this if they are still so capable of doing it? More new IPs? More new characters? More experimentation?

It seems to be going over well so far, right? People seem to be excited from what I can tell.

So can we expect more of this Nintendo...please...?

It's safer to establish one brand at a time and create a franchise from it.

Cømet

Banned
And yet you forgot the one key thing - said "polish" (this implication that the new IP they make are crap or unpolished is very offensive) came from being IPs that are nurtrured from multiple releases.

Because I'm pretty sure if you put out Mario today, it wouldn't be selling hotcakes and known. Mario is known because it lasted for many years. Why do people always forget this very fact?

Also AAA budget? lol

The face of modern gaming- no patience, plenty of ignorance.

espher

Because people had lower standards 15 years ago. I'm sure CS:GO has significantly more content then the first Counter Strike did. It needs to to keep people interested.

Lower standards fifteen years ago?

In the first person shooter space?

eDNZWAx.jpg

It's very hard to launch new IP these days because people have endless entertainment options and, consequently, shorter attention spans. Here's how Splatoon will go over for most consumers:

GAFer: Hey, bro/cousin/work associate, are you going to get Splatoon?
Bro/Cousin/Work Associate: Spla-what? Did you say Smash Bros., spumoni? What is this...oh, wait, hold on, got a new FaceBook update and some lives in Candy Crush.

<one minute later>

Bro/Cousin/Work Associate: Sorry about that, what was your question again?
GAFer: Are you getting Mario Kart 8?
Bro/Cousin/Work Associate: There's a new Mario Kart? Sweet, I'll get it after work. Does it play on my old Wii?

GRW810

Because Nintendo went all in with the casual series like Fit and Sports. Which was all well and good for one generation, but they were never going to have the lasting impact of a true gaming IP.

With the casual audience largely gone Nintendo need to resurrect their beloved IPs like Star Fox and F-Zero, maintain damaged ones like Metroid and continue conceiving new ideas ala Splatoon.

A truly new concept would be a racing game that has no acceleration button, instead the game is about slowing down to take curves as efficient as possible. It's a completely new way of thinking. These types of new and abstract IPs, which I want, tend to flop.

I'm not sure if this was intentional, but you are describing Kirby's Air Ride, so it's been done, and by Nintendo no less.

sniperpon

Preaching to the choir, thread creator. Heck, why limit the discussion to Nintendo?

Let me contrast the situation with a console from the 90s. When I look at my shelf of 3DO games, I see:

• A crazy, over-the-shoulder pseudo flight-sim (Blade Force-- a new "IP" at the time)
  • A Ballblazer clone (Battlesport-- a new "IP" at the time)
  • A crazy, 3D SRPG with a super distinctive aesthetic (Guardian War, a new "IP" at the time)
  • A theme park-based sim game (Theme Park, a new "IP" at the time)
  • A first-person dungeon crawler with "chunky" pixels (Slayer, a new "IP" at the time)
  • An isometric exploration/shooter with Desert Strike-like gameplay (Captain Quazar, a new "IP" at the time)

I could keep going, but you get the point. And this is just on one platform.

Every one of these games is very, very different from one another, and each one was a first-class citizen, fully-realized, and given the equivalent of a "triple-A" budget, versus some cheapo, half-finished downloadable or mobile title, like they'd be today (if they existed at all).

Splatoon would fit right in on my shelf of 3DO games-- it has the same attributes! It feels like a game from the 90s to me. This is exactly what the thread maker is talking about. The only other Wii U game that probably would fit on the 3DO shelf is ZombiU. And I don't think any of the games on the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One would find a place there.

So yes, the world needs more games like Splatoon. A lot more-- and fully-realized, not niche, low-budget Steam titles; I'm talking, first-class citizens.

Nottle

Like people have said it's mainly marketing. All I'm going to say is speculation.

They could develop a new idea and implement it into a Mario game, and more people will buy it. Think of all the Mario Spin offs. Back on the SNES they could have made a game that was just a Kart Racer with new characters but they made it Mario themed. Mario Sunshine could have been a new title, but the Mario baseline sort of gives them a framework for how it could control, how levels are structured, etc. Oddly enough, what I heard was that Spaltoon was even going to be a Sunshine tie in.

Then look at Smash Bros. It started off with very basic generic characters then somehow they decided to put in the Nintendo All stars which is a smart decision because it makes people go "woah Pikachu is in this?" as well as laying a groundwork for what sort of moves a character can perform. Instead of having Karate man or boxer guy, you have Link, you have Samus, we know what moves to expect from them.

th4tguy

Have you heard of The Wonderful 101?

1) Cool new gameplay
2) Colorful, fun graphical style
3) Charming as hell (depends on your preference of charming lol)
4) Introduction of new 'characters'
5) A new IP that's also a system exclusive!

But a lot of people are actually put off by how the game plays. Outside of Gaf, most people thought the game played poorly/ too hard/ or just wasn't fun because they didn't grasp the full extent of the mechanics.

To OP's credit, Splatoon is built off of a very simple gameplay concept and is extremely
easy to grasp and get. It is simple enough to pick up and play from the get go but has a layer of complexity that allows people who care to truly dive in.

I purchased a WiiU at launch and was going through my stats last night. In the 3 days the game was on in May, I put in enough hours to pass my total play time for the entirety of the system. That is how little I've played the WiiU. With Splatoon, I now feel like the WiiU was a worthwhile purchase. W101 did not give me that feeling.

The Boat

I love how new IPs from Nintendo need to adhere to a super specific set of arbitrary conditions to "count". They need to be great, from a new genre, innovative, not casual, not digital only, have a mascot, have a AAA budget, a big marketing push, sell well and 9 out of 10 times they need to be in accordance with one's tastes.

Davey Cakes

New IPs and "original ideas" have to prove themselves as lucrative.

If Splatoon takes off, then Nintendo may make more games of its caliber. But, to put this much effort and marketing behind a game is a big risk. Nintendo needs to be really selective in terms of what they think will appeal to the current market.

Otherwise, they'll still put out high quality games with refreshing presentation and gameplay, but said games will be in existing franchises to lessen the potential of failure.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
But a lot of people are actually put off by how the game plays. Outside of Gaf, most people thought the game played poorly/ too hard/ or just wasn't fun because they didn't grasp the full extent of the mechanics.

To OP's credit, Splatoon is built off of a very simple gameplay concept and is extremely
easy to grasp and get. It is simple enough to pick up and play from the get go but has a layer of complexity that allows people who care to truly dive in.

You'd be surprised that many people outside of GAF liked the game, if Kamiya's tweets are anything to go by.
Unless 80% of those "I loved the game" tweets were from GAF members.

Top Bottom