• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why not let the Southern US be its own country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudcrab

Only if they were willing to leave America and move to some uninhabited scrub land and start fro scratch working for their own to build their own, without slavery or forced labor.

We'll allow them to take the clothes on their backs, the shoes on their feet, and some farming and building tools.

Now go get fucked.err I mean Go rise again.

You mean the small percentage of loons that OP accurately reflects? Don't we all.

#TheNorthRulesTheSouthDrools

Bless your heart.

Well NORAD headquarters are in Colorado so the North would have most of the control over them.

We just take the rest by force. :p
Well the nuke sites are in North Dakota, Montana and Wyoming which would naturally be co opted by the south in this weird fantasy by the op so..,

ISOM

Considering how much interstate economic trade is based on no tariffs. And people being able to move from state to state for better job prospects. An idea like this effectively gimps the entire US economy even if the greater economic states are left in the union. It really is a terrible idea OP.

Neo C.

It's a bit too soon, OP, but going with the global trend, a split into two or more countries seems to be smart if efficiency and less corruption are the main goals.

dsister44

I don't have any study to cite here, but my gut says yes. The GOP already throws around a lot of dog whistles: "real" america, states rights, referring to dems as "liberal elites" in "big cities", confederate flags, etc. There's a lot of us vs. them terminology that's directly linked to the Civil War to this very day.

Eh? As someone who lives in the South no one here wants that at all.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Only if they were willing to leave America and move to some uninhabited scrub land and start fro scratch working for their own to build their own, without slavery or forced labor.

We'll allow them to take the clothes on their backs, the shoes on their feet, and some farming and building tools.

Now go get fucked.err I mean Go rise again.

God help me and all of us if I ever get a time machine. I will go back and fuck the south. Oh how I will fuck the south. And they had it coming, and mostly still do.

q8DVfAL.gif

_woLf

The day a single state actually succeeds from the union, the entire country is going to be broken up. It would be absolutely devastating, imo.

akira28

Yo man I got family in Texas. We've only been here for one generation what'd they ever do to you?

Tell them to get to Oklahoma as soon as possible. Besada knows the date when we finally set Texas free. Free of Earthly cares, forever.

alternately you may try securing space in one of the emergency bunkers buried beneath Austin island.

There's no way that would work, northern California (the area north of Sacramento) doesn't really have any way to make money. The state of Jefferson would fail worse than Kansas currently is.

They have a way of making a ton of money, which they've been doing for years now. Think Mendo and Humboldt.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
We'll hoard all the Mercedes, Honda's and Hyundai's here in Alabama. The rest of you are DOOMED to driving Chevy's, Buick's and Ford's FOREVER.

I don't have any study to cite here, but my gut says yes. The GOP already throws around a lot of dog whistles: "real" america, states rights, referring to dems as "liberal elites" in "big cities", confederate flags, etc. There's a lot of us vs. them terminology that's directly linked to the Civil War to this very day.

You mean, exactly like the kind shown by the creation of this thread?

lednerg

The ideological split in this country has less to do with North vs South and more to do with Urban vs Rural, and it just so happens that Southern states tend to have more rural counties. When people are forced to live in close proximity to different cultures such as they are in cities, most people eventually learn to get along with each other and that there's ultimately nothing to fear. In rural areas this just doesn't happen, and politicians would rather exploit people's reflexive xenophobia for their own purposes than try to correct it because they know how fear is a major sociological motivator. There needs to be a concerted effort to personalize the different cultures in the US for those who may currently fear them, and to admonish those who benefit from ignorance and hatred. Making everything into a North vs South thing is actually going against that goal; it would be better to be more inclusive than not.

ISOM

If the US is broken into two, which state will be the prison state where all the criminals are deported to: California or New York?

Considering that it's more likely that southern or midwestern states will need the money that the North no longer provides. It's likely that the South turns into some kind of prison planet.

The ideological split in this country has less to do with North vs South and more to do with Urban vs Rural, and it just so happens that Southern states tend to have more rural counties. When people are forced to live in close proximity to different cultures such as they are in cities, most people eventually learn to get along with each other and that there's ultimately nothing to fear. In rural areas this just doesn't happen, and politicians would rather exploit people's reflexive xenophobia for their own purposes than try to correct it because they know how fear is a major sociological motivator. There needs to be a concerted effort to personalize the different cultures in the US for those who may currently fear them, and to admonish those who benefit from ignorance and hatred. Making everything into a North vs South thing is actually going against that goal; it would be better to be more inclusive than not.

That all rings true. I don't know how you go about increasing that understanding between groups though. I'm not sure how we actually become a melting pot rather than a salad bowl.

lednerg

That all rings true. I don't know how you go about increasing that understanding between groups though. I'm not sure how we actually become a melting pot rather than a salad bowl.

It won't be an overnight thing, but rather something that develops from generation to generation. I'm very optimistic with how the Millennials are shaping up in terms of their tolerance and even appreciation of other cultures. I'm sure this has a lot to do with the Internet and how much it has opened their window to the world during their formative years compared to the three lone TV networks their parents grew up watching.

Mudcrab

Considering that it's more likely that southern or midwestern states will need the money that the North no longer provides. It's likely that the South turns into some kind of prison planet.

Is this what you think would happen when the North goes from a net exporter of food and oil to a net importer?

California can only carry you so far. The money will flow one way or another.

akira28

Is this what you think would happen when the North goes from a net exporter of food and oil to a net importer?

California can only carry you so far. The money will flow one way or another.

The midwest will finally have a reason to exist again instead of being a giant cornfield that nobody wants.

aeolist

Banned
Eh? As someone who lives in the South no one here wants that at all.

as someone who lives in a fairly blue part of texas i see "secede" or republic of texas bumper stickers all the damn time

it's a small minority and pretty much 100% old white people, for sure, but it exists

cajunator

Banned
I just find it rather interesting how the north always claims to be more for equality and understanding and yet looks down on an entire region, whether deserved or not, as if they are subhuman garbage.

Its just interesting.

akira28

I just find it rather interesting how the north always claims to be more for equality and understanding and yet looks down on an entire region, whether deserved or not, as if they are subhuman garbage.

Its just interesting.

you don't get it cajunator. but. I want you to try.

dsister44

Its just interesting.

It's pretty tiring. The love and understanding of the more progressive states in the union

akira28

I dont know what this has to do with anything but I really like it.

people don't really Hate the south. If we hated the south we'd probably do something like start a war with them or something.

They want the south to see something. Its akin to mimicry or mockery.

cajunator

Banned
people don't really Hate the south. If we hated the south we'd probably do something like start a war with them or something.

They want the south to see something. Its akin to mimicry or mockery.

Dont you think the South feels the same way? Ive been up there. Its not exactly night and day different.

akira28

Dont you think the South feels the same way? Ive been up there. Its not exactly night and day different.

I'm from down there...and I know a little too much about how the south feels.

i laugh with the jokes about northerners mostly. I can't do that with blaming minorities for everything you can't blame the rich white elite for.
I know people who feel the South would be perfect if not for the rest of america bringing them down. No it isn't everyone, but popular themes and thoughts are popular.

akira28

Tolerance on Neogaf means accepting a very narrow worldview.

And the rest: Let the South go! Why not?

divorce the South, start a new relationship with Canada, who is strangely warming up to us lately. Globally speaking. And then watch the South start an abusive relationship with Cuba and an off and on thing with Mexico, a string of bad relationships. We will block her from our Facebook, and have a three way with Canada and her older sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom