• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

woobit

woobit said:
I need some JRPG recommendations for DS - be it DS or GBA, new or remake.

I've only had an interest in JRPG for a few years, and my top three so far is FFX, DQ8 and Chrono Trigger (Also played alot of WoW, Lotro, Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate, etc).Slowmo turn based combat system is prefered, and games where the only challenge is to chose the correct branch of path ways in dungeons are not. FFX and DQ8s combat system where sweet since they had a hint of strategy, but I've never really tried any SRPG games.

There are so many to chose from, especially Final Fantasy games.

More please! Help a poor sod

Hi GAF

I've recently been discovering how awesome the DS wifi is with Picross of all titles.

So, I need recommendations as to what the BEST internet multiplayer (not local) titles are for the DS.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
FieryBalrog said:
Hi GAF

I've recently been discovering how awesome the DS wifi is with Picross of all titles.

So, I need recommendations as to what the BEST internet multiplayer (not local) titles are for the DS.

Tetris and PPL

Also MK DS and Pokemon are good choices

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Either Bleach game or JUS are also fun online.

If you're lucky enough to find a bunch of non cheaters playing Metroid Prime Hunters can be a ball.

I have Pokemon already - haven't really played it much though.

I've been looking for Tetris DS for the past few days - its really freaking hard to find at reasonable prices. Why is it so rare?

as for JUS, isn't that Jap only? theres no US localization right?

FieryBalrog said:
I have Pokemon already - haven't really played it much though.

I've been looking for Tetris DS for the past few days - its really freaking hard to find at reasonable prices. Why is it so rare?

as for JUS, isn't that Jap only? theres no US localization right?

The shortage of Tetris DS has been running around headlines recently. Your best bet is probably to import it; it's fairly import friendly, and DS Fanboy made nice little navigation walkthrough for the japanese version.

Help GAF.

I had Wii money saved up, but since the system won't be readily available for another 2 years, I'm going to allocate some of the savings to the purchase of TWO ds games.

I haven't purchased a DS game since last summer. I need games that are addicting (offline) and memorable (either good storyline or good characters). Don't care what the genre is, just give me something that was released after last summer (in the USA) and that will leave a lasting impression on me.

NintendosBooger said:
Help GAF.

I had Wii money saved up, but since the system won't be readily available for another 2 years, I'm going to allocate some of the savings to the purchase of TWO ds games.

I haven't purchased a DS game since last summer. I need games that are addicting (offline) and memorable (either good storyline or good characters). Don't care what the genre is, just give me something that was released after last summer (in the USA) and that will leave a lasting impression on me.

It's a gamble, but Contact for me. I'm really enjoying right now and the characters - even the sidequest characters - are all really memorable.

jarrod

Banned
Some quick developer additions/corrections...

DQ Heroes = TOSE Software
Sonic Rush Adventure = Dimps (srsly, Sonic Team USA just produced the thing a la Sonic Rivals)
Kirby SS = Flagship/Natsume
Pokemon DP = Game Freak/Creatures
DQM Joker = TOSE Software
Sakura Taisen DS = Neverland
Feel the Magic = Sonic Team
Waro Ware = Nintendo/Intelligent Systems

Orodreth

I asked in the thread Nintendosbooger opened asking for RPGs but didnt get any input.

Are the Xenosaga 1&2 port/remakes worth it or better try to get the originals? cos i read they were cut/dumbed down.

And i´m also i´m tempted to get FFCC Ring of Fates. Is very cheap at play.com right now. Is the single player worth enough?

batbeg

Orodreth said:
I asked in the thread Nintendosbooger opened asking for RPGs but didnt get any input.

Are the Xenosaga 1&2 port/remakes worth it or better try to get the originals? cos i read they were cut/dumbed down.

And i´m also i´m tempted to get FFCC Ring of Fates. Is very cheap at play.com right now. Is the single player worth enough?

Well... more importantly, do you know Japanese?

Orodreth said:

nah, forget FFCC and aim to The World Ends With You, it's one of the coolest S-E games in years

Man I am glad JET Impulse got a mention. I've been meaning to start a thread on it for a while, but don't have the courage. I know the orignal thread only lasted a few pages. A year or two down the line, I can't even see it reaching 50 posts. But being the EAD collector I am, I need to buy this game. Anyone have anything to share on this game. I remember Nintend said it would be localised but I haven't heard anything for a while now. What was it going to be called? DS Air or something.

Orodreth

intheinbetween said:
nah, forget FFCC and aim to The World Ends With You, it's one of the coolest S-E games in years

Ill play that for sure eventually but FFCC is really cheap now. That´s why i´m looking to buy it first.

Have you already finished Lost Odyssey?

I noticed this list is having a serious case of NO CONTACT.

CONTACT
Developer: Grasshopper Manufacturer
Publisher: Marvelous Interactive / Atlus USA
US Release: Released

2mysuj5.jpg
2cmw4ko.jpg
21dgxtg.jpg
oh1bb8.jpg

I'll do Gyakuten NOT Saiban, Disgaea DS, and Glory of Heracles later.

Orodreth said:
Ill play that for sure eventually but FFCC is really cheap now. That´s why i´m looking to buy it first.

wut seriously? already? where?

Aside from Elite Beat Agents, Trauma Center, and Phantom Hourglass, which of the recommended games have (good) extensive use of the touch screen? I want to try out Canvas Curse but I can't seem to find it available anywhere. :( Online vendors are either overpriced or sketchy.

Wow, this may be the best thread ive ever seen on GAf :O Major props for making this!

Little Green Yoda said:
Aside from Elite Beat Agents, Trauma Center, and Phantom Hourglass, which of the recommended games have (good) extensive use of the touch screen? I want to try out Canvas Curse but I can't seem to find it available anywhere. :( Online vendors are either overpriced or sketchy.

Canvas Curse is one of the best, look around for used copies at retailers, or try buying online.

Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword and The World Ends With You are also awesome.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I think hotel dusk room 215 is a great game, although i am stuck right now and cant find my way to the next chapter...but it has a cool story and has a nice art style, cheap used too.

also, brothers in arms ds is good for offline play....the campaign is cool and the aiming with the stylus is nifty.

pheonix wright ace attorney, i only have the first one, is one of my favorite games.

and of course phantom hourglass is great.

If anyone in the US can still find a copy of Clubhouse Games, it is definitely worth it. It's probably the most underrated title of the Touch Generation series.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
DS really needs some good racers...

For anyone that wants fast & good racers (although flawed) check this games:

Speedracer DS (yes, a licensed game): Great sense of speed, no story (happens a year after the movie), good tracks. Many unlockables for those that like that kind of thing. Very F-zero-esque (no weapons, you destroy enemies by crashing at full speed or spinning or jumping on them, although they won't die).

Asphalt Urban 2: Amazing speed at the final stages, although the game is very linear and last races are a joke. Very flawed.

NolbertoS

Wow..Can't believe I own half those games and haven't finshed them all either :(...better get cracking at trying to finish them.

Haruspex

Banned
Great thread, I'm pretty overwhelmed by all the great DS games I don't own. Also I'd like to humbly recommend the beautiful Soul Bubbles if it hasn't been mentioned already.

Alpha_eX

Haruspex said:
Great thread, I'm pretty overwhelmed by all the great DS games I don't own. Also I'd like to humbly recommend the beautiful Soul Bubbles if it hasn't been mentioned already.

I just came in here to recommend this game, it's brilliant.

Shearie

I'm seriously thinking of getting a DS just for Bangai-O. There are definitely other games on the system that I want but the Dreamcast version of Bangai-O is one of the most memorable games for me and it'll be hard for me to pass up a sequel that expands on the earlier games so much.

Banned
I just picked up The World Ends With You which is really good once you get past the horrible facade of cyber emo-isms.

Barrett2

Just picked this up over the weekend; god damn this is a great game! Even my wife loves it.

Easily one of the best platformers on the system.

3e080146fd11e515e09995653b1f636c.jpg

Donkey%20Kong%20Jungle%20Climber_11621.jpg

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I've been playing Space Invaders Extreme all weekend...

Best game on the system, imo. The online multiplayer's great, too.

pswii60

Right. I'm rebuying a DS Lite tomorrow after an almost 2 year hiatus. I'm going away on holiday for a couple of weeks and want to spend some time DSing on the beach.

I've settled on DS over PSP as the only reason why I'd get a PSP is for the additional features (MP3 playback, Internet browsing), but I'll have an iPod Touch for that soon anyway. More importantly, the games in the OP(s) are full of awesome.

So, I'm planning on getting:

New Super Mario Bros
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Is that a good choice considering I haven't played either of those games yet? Or would you swap one or both of those out for something else?

EDIT: Keep in mind I'm in Europe so many awesome DS games (Bangai-O, Professor Layton) aren't out here yet.

Vinci

Danish
Just like to say that I have purchased Etrian Odyssey 2, The World Ends With You, and Professor Layton in the last two weeks.

I AM FUCKING HAPPY

pswii60

HK-47 said:
NSMB is solid. I'd go Canvas Curse over PH though.
It depends on what you are looking for
Kirby, eh? What did you enjoy about it? Seems to have had good reviews.

EDIT: Is it out in Europe? Or under a different name? Can't find it at game.co.uk

Top Bottom