• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

KIRBY SUPER ULTRA DELUXE, as I understand, is a port of the Super Nintendo classic, Kirby Super Star. Kirby Super Star contained a remake of the original Kirby Dreamland, Spring Breeze. Will KIRBY SUPER ULTRA DELUXE contain Spring Breeze?

Is KIRBY SUPER ULTRA DELUXE a port or remake?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
TheGrayGhost said:
KIRBY SUPER ULTRA DELUXE, as I understand, is a port of the Super Nintendo classic, Kirby Super Star. Kirby Super Star contained a remake of the original Kirby Dreamland, Spring Breeze. Will KIRBY SUPER ULTRA DELUXE contain Spring Breeze?

Is KIRBY SUPER ULTRA DELUXE a port or remake?

Kirby Super Ultra Deluxe will most likely contain Spring Breeze. This is a remake

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hey guys, Soma Bringer review is up. (hdrlying...link to the site is in various places on ethelred's OP)

0OoO0 said:
Great Job bafflewaffle! Wow, didn't know there were so many cool games coming to the DS. Hopefully they'll turn out good

No problem. Ethelred and stumpokapow too.
Aaaaand here's a small update:

SUMMON NIGHT: TWIN AGE
Developer: Flight Plan
Publisher: Atlus
US Release: 05/20/2008

fAXLuhOTO.jpg
sVVcCoImU.jpg
eRjMNiVqN.jpg
EZdFmYhHT.jpg

ethelred

thetrin said:
Hey guys, Soma Bringer review is up. (hdrlying...link to the site is in various places on ethelred's OP)

K. I added a link in the post (and also a link to ducky's review). And added some assorted links for a number of other games, updated release dates (thanks Waffles), and added Worms (thanks Grand).

I'll add Valkyrie Profile, also, as soon as Famitsu puts its images on its site. I want to grab one of their battle shots.

grandjedi6

legend166 said:
I'm about to finish Phantom Hourglass so I'm going to buy another DS game - Contra 4 or Yoshi's Island 2?

Well it depends on whether you prefer Old school 2d action shooters or 2d platformers. But if hold them equal, I would have to say Contra 4

sasimirobot

DS organize saved my life, true story:

I went to my friends house to play Smash Brawl.

I only brought component cables and the Wii was set to 480p, friend has SD TV.

Doesn't work. Cant play. Beers are being drunk, people are pissed. I break out the DS ( homebrew browser) and piggyback on a neighbors WiFi connection to search google for a solution.

Brings me to an obscure NeoGaf forum post with the answer I need.

Party saved!

grandjedi6

Dammit, I don't make enough money. Even when I limit myself to one game per month :(

Shiren, Ring of Fates, Ninja Gaiden. But only one can win! :/

Psy-Phi

If play-time goes into your consideration (and assuming you'd be just as happy with any one of those games there as the next) I'd say get Shiren simply due to the longevity of the game.

Ninja Gaiden is supposed to be short and sweet, like God of War COO.

Ring of Fates may be longer than Shiren, but I can't in good conscience recommend it over Shiren (only because I love Shiren more than FFCC).

I use the DS alot on the bus and I find I burn through DS games way too quickly since I play them at home sometimes too. Can I get some recommendations for games with great longevity? Maybe games that have a huge amount of content, or that are amazingly replayable. No Pokemon D/P please, I already played and got sick of that game's slow battle system.

ethelred

BlackTyrano said:
I use the DS alot on the bus and I find I burn through DS games way too quickly since I play them at home sometimes too. Can I get some recommendations for games with great longevity? Maybe games that have a huge amount of content, or that are amazingly replayable. No Pokemon D/P please, I already played and got sick of that game's slow battle system.

Etrian Odyssey.

ethelred said:
Etrian Odyssey.

Ack already played a ton of that. I should really go back and do it with a new party, maybe make a special challenge like a 3-4 person party...anyway great suggestion. :D

Here are the DS games I've already played(I just got a DS last christmas and borrowed one from a friend before that a few times so there aren't that many):

Etrian Odyssey
FFCC:Ring of Fates
Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents
Pokemon Pearl/mystery dungeon
Metroid Pinball
Luminous Arc
Brain Training 2
SNK vs Capcom cardfighters clash

grandjedi6

BlackTyrano said:
Ack already played a ton of that. I should really go back and do it with a new party, maybe make a special challenge like a 3-4 person party...anyway great suggestion. :D

Advance Wars: Day of Ruin
Shiren
Animal Crossing
Advance Wars: DS
Really any RPG like Final Fantasy III for example
Did I mention Advance Wars?

BlackTyrano said:

Shiren.

grandjedi6 said:
Advance Wars: Day of Ruin
Shiren
Animal Crossing
Advance Wars: DS
Really any RPG like Final Fantasy III for example
Did I mention Advance Wars?

Yeah Advance Wars may be a good choice. I remember the first GBA game being pretty lengthy, plus AW: DoR has online play, though I wouldn't be able to use that on the bus. I'll probably get Shiren soon as well. Didn't know there was going to be a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon :O

What games are the best or most competitive as far as online play goes?

grandjedi6

BlackTyrano said:
Yeah Advance Wars may be a good choice. I remember the first GBA game being pretty lengthy, plus AW: DoR has online play, though I wouldn't be able to use that on the bus. I'll probably get Shiren soon as well. Didn't know there was going to be a new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon :O

Yeah Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness comes out April 20

BUY ADVANCE WARS

Shiren is suppose to be awesome. I just ordered it myself

What games are the best or most competitive as far as online play goes?
Advance Wars

sasimirobot said:
DS organize saved my life, true story:

I went to my friends house to play Smash Brawl.

I only brought component cables and the Wii was set to 480p, friend has SD TV.

Doesn't work. Cant play. Beers are being drunk, people are pissed. I break out the DS ( homebrew browser) and piggyback on a neighbors WiFi connection to search google for a solution.

Brings me to an obscure NeoGaf forum post with the answer I need.

Party saved!
Your friend doesn't have an internet-capable computer?

Here's some other upcoming games that might be of interest.

USA Today Crosswords Challenge 4/22/2008
Rondo of Swords 4/15/08
Teenage Zombies 4/15/08
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness 4/20/08
N+ July 8, 2008
Crosswords DS 5/5/2008
Drone Tactics 5/13/08
Arkanoid 6/17/08
Monster Lab 6/24/08

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I think I just rationalized the yellow tint on new DS screens, just think about how bad the green tint was on the original Game Boy!

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
sykoex said:
I think I just rationalized the yellow tint on new DS screens, just think about how bad the green tint was on the original Game Boy!

I just got a Red/Black Lite and haven't noticed a tint at all. Am I blind?

Touch screen sensitivity isn't as good as the brick though. Thats for sure.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sasimirobot said:

Your friend doesn't have a computer or an internet connection?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
ninja gaiden ds is awesome and i recommend it highly. just like phantom hourglass, i am shocked at how well they work, and how much control i feel i have.

bafflewaffle said:
Here's some other upcoming games that might be of interest.

USA Today Crosswords Challenge 4/22/2008
Rondo of Swords 4/15/08
Teenage Zombies 4/15/08
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness 4/20/08
N+ July 8, 2008
Crosswords DS 5/5/2008
Drone Tactics 5/13/08
Arkanoid 6/17/08
Monster Lab 6/24/08

I'm definitely down for some Crosswords DS.

ethelred

grandjedi6 said:
TRAUMA CENTER: UNDER THE KNIFE 2
Chris Michael said:
VALKYRIE PROFILE: THE ACCUSED ONE

Thanks. I added both of those. Also replaced the EO2 and World Ends With You screens with English versions and added the SRW: OG Saga trailer and that Lock's Quest game.

grandjedi6

ethelred said:
Thanks. I added both of those. Also replaced the EO2 and World Ends With You screens with English versions and added the SRW: OG Saga trailer and that Lock's Quest game.
The site you used for Lock's Quest is banned

Salazar said:
Doesn't Panzer Tactics have a ridiculous amount of content ? Do I remember right ?

Yes, it does. I put about 20 hours into it and only finished the 1st (German) campaign. It will last you a while.

sasimirobot

Stumpokapow said:
Your friend doesn't have a computer or an internet connection?

It was in his brothers room and we didn't want to bother him (I think he was making out with his GF or whatever...)

woobit

I need some JRPG recommendations for DS - be it DS or GBA, new or remake.

I've only had an interest in JRPG for a few years, and my top three so far is FFX, DQ8 and Chrono Trigger (Also played alot of WoW, Lotro, Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate, etc).Slowmo turn based combat system is prefered, and games where the only challenge is to chose the correct branch of path ways in dungeons are not. FFX and DQ8s combat system where sweet since they had a hint of strategy, but I've never really tried any SRPG games.

There are so many to chose from, especially Final Fantasy games.

woobit said:
I need some JRPG recommendations for DS - be it DS or GBA, new or remake.

I've only had an interest in JRPG for a few years, and my top three so far is FFX, DQ8 and Chrono Trigger (Also played alot of WoW, Lotro, Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate, etc).Slowmo turn based combat system is prefered, and games where the only challenge is to chose the correct branch of path ways in dungeons are not. FFX and DQ8s combat system where sweet since they had a hint of strategy, but I've never really tried any SRPG games.

There are so many to chose from, especially Final Fantasy games.

Try FFIII and Etrian Odyssey for the traditional flair.

Try the Mega Man Battle Network (GBA) games if you want to see some actiony, combat stuff.

I've already clocked almost 80 hours in Shiren the Wanderer, jesus:lol(actually some of that was leaving it on overnight cause I was too sleepy to turn it off). I think I'll pick up Planet Puzzle League instead of Advance Wars for now. My catalogue could use a lighter game, plus it should have awesome single-card multiplayer to play with friends. Does anyone still play Planet Puzzle League online?

Pureauthor said:
Try the Mega Man Battle Network (GBA) games if you want to see some actiony, combat stuff.

Get Battle Network 3, but whatever you do, don't get 4, worst game ever.

I think I'll pick up Planet Puzzle League instead of Advance Wars for now.

....ugh, no. Just no. Advance Wars is probably one of the best handheld games ever made.

BlackTyrano said:

Whatever, it depends on whether you played the originals or not. Of course, it might also be my aversion to puzzle games. But if you haven't played Advance Wars yet, get that first. You'll be addicted.

Death_Born said:
Whatever, it depends on whether you played the originals or not. Of course, it might also be my aversion to puzzle games.

The only one I've played was Tetris Attack on SNES, but that was probably my favorite puzzle game ever. D:

Top Bottom