• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

Struct09

BlackTyrano said:
Should I be able to find Kirby's Canvas Curse at any store or is it rare nowadays? None of the online sites seem to have it.

It seems to be out of print. The other week I was able to get a sealed copy off of eBay for $35 though.

Struct09 said:
It seems to be out of print. The other week I was able to get a sealed copy off of eBay for $35 though.

Hum, I guess I'll check some local stores then hit the auction sites if I can't find it.

I request that Yoshi's Island DS be removed (It's a steaming pile of Artoon Garbage!) and replaced with Yoshi's Touch and Go (A nice pile of EAD score attackery win! :D)

Also I think that Diddy Kong Racing DS (Single player isn't as good as the original but the online multiplayer is rock solid!) Mario Party DS (Best MP since number 3!) Starfox Command (Great multiplayer and single player is fun in short bursts) Custom Robo Arena (Multi is fun!) and Pac Pix (Super Innovative and a lot of fun!) deserve a mention as well. Also there should be a section for the training games (You know, not all Gaffers hate them! I like them!)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nuclear Muffin said:
I request that Yoshi's Island DS be removed (It's a steaming pile of Artoon Garbage!) and replaced with Yoshi's Touch and Go (A nice pile of EAD score attackery win! :D)
I request you shut up. Oh and that Yoshi Touch & Go should be added.

Quazar

Any good deals for DS going on right now? I think I'll just skip buying PS3 until fall and load up on DS stuff.

Why was I not informed about the upcoming Pikmin clone from D3 Publisher?

scf1tz.jpg
2z5j9jc.jpg
b4su47.jpg

1zeflsy.jpg
syuhc5.jpg

Please let it be good.

Jiggy

Nuclear Muffin said:
I request that Yoshi's Island DS be removed (It's a steaming pile of Artoon Garbage!)
It might fall far short of the true Yoshi's Island, and has some significant flaws, but I think it's still really good in its own right.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
ethelred said:
Oh? I can toss it in, but I thought it was pretty much unanimously agreed that the PSP version was better. Or the 360 version. Or the PC version. Anyway, it's hard to really say that a game is a recommendable point for a system when it's on fifteen other systems.
Now I see the point. A good game, but in that case I guess it wouldn't really fit the purpose of the thread.

What about Trace Memory? Some people suggested it earlier.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Zerodoppler said:

Please let it be good.

Why don't you buy the PS2 version (14.99 MSRP; called Adventures of Darwin) and see if you like it? I loved it.

Stumpokapow said:
Why don't you buy the PS2 version (14.99 MSRP; called Adventures of Darwin) and see if you like it? I loved it.

I would, but my PS2 doesn't play imports. I'll probably buy a US PS2 slim once it hits $99 though.

So I've ordered Trauma Centre, Final Fantasy III and Puzzle Quest : Challenge of the Warlords.

I'm trying to find Phoenix Wright still, but the availability has pushed the price too high.

I'm interested in a 'resource management' type game so what's the best to with? Harvest Moon?

Did you check import copies of Phoenix Wright? I couldn't find Tetris DS anywhere at a reasonable price and finally just bought a Japanese version. Might be worth trying there as well.

hey_monkey said:
Did you check import copies of Phoenix Wright? I couldn't find Tetris DS anywhere at a reasonable price and finally just bought a Japanese version. Might be worth trying there as well.

Thanks, is there somewhere in particular I should look? Playasia?

Just checked Playasia for Ace Attorney, out of print.

Hmm. I checked the site where I bought my Tetris and they don't have it either. Sorry to give you a dead end. :( But Amazon shows 'em "used and new" from $25, which isn't bad. I couldn't find Tetris for under $50, and usually it was more like $70. The good thing about a game like that is if you can find it for around thirty or less, in the event you DON'T like it or don't want to keep it, you can sell it back for probably more, at least.

Good luck. I think I ended up getting that one on GameFly because I couldn't find it either, but that was quite a while ago.

Victrix

*beard*
Forgive me for putting this in a supremely rad thread, but does anyone else think it's a huge and enormous waste that GAF doesn't have a subforum dedicated to megathreads?

So many awesome threads on various games or meta topics wind up lost to the archives, because they may not need a lot of discussion, but they provide a ton of information - in a lot of cases, such as this, information that is useful and nearly timeless.

Quazar

Anyone have link for Final Fantasy XII: RW OT? Thinking about picking this up when I get DS while sale is going at CC.

EDIT: I'm an idiot :lol :lol :lol :lol

Quazar

Well...after reading RW official thread, I'm not so sure I want to buy it as a first game. I want an RPG though, maybe Etrian odyssey? What else is there..? Don't think I care to play FF3.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Quazar said:
Well...after reading RW official thread, I'm not so sure I want to buy it as a first game. I want an RPG though, maybe Etrian odyssey? What else is there..? Don't think I care to play FF3.

Many of the big RPGs are still incoming. Etrian Odyssey is very old school but its highly recommended.

I'd personally recommend Lunar Knights

Quazar

HK-47 said:
Many of the big RPGs are still incoming. Etrian Odyssey is very old school but its highly recommended.

I'd personally recommend Lunar Knights

Yea that's what I got hyped on I guess. For some reason I thought it had more. I forgot about AW DOR though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Also we still need to get some games like Drawn To Life, Worms 2, Rub Rabbits, Prism: Light the Way and Pokemon MD up there

Quazar

I'm thinking of going with U.S. Nintendo DS Lite Zelda Bundle(169.95) and 1 additional game. I'm not seeing Etrian or Lunar Knights on CC online. Maybe I will just go with FF3. I guess I'll call around stores tomorrow for them first though. EBAY prices for Lunar Knights don't seem to bad though. Dam not sure what I want to do yet. :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Quazar said:
I'm thinking of going with U.S. Nintendo DS Lite Zelda Bundle(169.95) and 1 additional game. I'm not seeing Etrian or Lunar Knights on CC online. Maybe I will just go with FF3. I guess I'll call around stores tomorrow for them first though. EBAY prices for Lunar Knights don't seem to bad though. Dam not sure what I want to do yet. :D

They'll both last you a good long time. And if you are interested in AW, either will keep you company for weeks

Ecto311

Lunar Knights is 16.96 with the 20% off at cc b&m for me. I know they don't show it online but they have it in some stores.

lyre

Lunar Knights is highly recommended.

And remember, allotting points you get to stats is purely optional. ;)

Quazar

lyre said:
Lunar Knights is highly recommended.

And remember, allotting points you get to stats is purely optional. ;)

I'm trying to spend as less money as possible as well, so it seems like the cheapest of the bunch. Plus I'll have PH glass with it. Going to check out CC tomorrow and go from there I suppose. I totally forgot about LK until HK mentioned it.

batbeg

I didn't enjoy Lunar Knights too much :( I couldn't figure out, no matter WHAT, what in the world was going on with the weather system. I managed to enjoy it despite this, but the difficulty suddenly seemed to ramp up an insane amount in the level I got to where it seemed like all the enemies suddenly severely outlevelled me.

I loved the shooting segments, though, I want a full game of them. Yummy.

lyre

I didn't bother with the weather system at all until I need to (which was only in the second to last dungeon), otherwise it's mainly used to get items which you don't really need in the long run. The only thing you need to know about weather is: day Django recharges, night Sabata recharges, cloudy skies neither of them recharges (well Django def, can't remember if Sabata can recharge on cloudy days).

And the difficulty does jump, which is a good thing. This forces you to either play better or play smarter, which was pretty much how I played through the entire game; only as Sabata no less unless I'm forced as Django.

I still haven't beaten the game yet unfortunately because you have to go through the very final area full of things that kills you almost instantly and the boss(es?) without saving, though the second to final boss was pure awesome.

Concept17

I may have already asked this but... are there any good co-op(local) games on the system? I can't seem to find anything. :(

Rimshot

Was I the only one who thought Lunar Knights sucked? :/

Other then that the DS pretty much rocks.

Concept17 said:
I may have already asked this but... are there any good co-op(local) games on the system? I can't seem to find anything. :(

Ouendan and something Cookies n Cream.

ethelred

Nuclear Muffin said:

Your request is summarily rejected on account of Yoshi's Island 2 being an excellent platformer and you following the request up with sucky games like Mario Party and Starfox Command.

Nintaiyo said:
Awesome thread. The most recent Worms game should be added, though.

I think I mentioned this earlier for Worms, but I'd be happy to add it. Feel free to find some pictures and put an entry together for it, and I'll put it up.

Anyway, moving on.
It's been a pretty great few days.
• first media on Spore DS
• Knights in the Nightmares is announced
• Professor Layton is released in the US
• Soma Bringer's first trailer is released
• we finally get some non-magazine scan media for Sonic Chronicles

So I figured it seemed like a good time for an update.

SPORE CREATURES
Developer: Maxis
Publisher: EA
US Release: September 2008

• read the Wired Spore Creatures interview
Eurogamer said:
...the DS game is a story-driven RPG twist on the Creature phase in the Pokémon manner. There's a full creation tool for its sweet, 'Paper Spore'-style 2D beings, and you can swap them with other players too.

wFdnYVhKc.jpg
mMGmjpTDs.jpg
ofQhSWEjv.jpg
sYvaaXvqU.jpg

KNIGHTS IN THE NIGHTMARE
Developer: Sting
Publisher: Sting
US Release: TBA

• listen to three excellent music clips

KerZyEUhL.jpg
YcLlAaaeV.jpg
pLKolYGPc.jpg
JpXgnJnix.jpg

SONIC CHRONICLES: THE DARK BROTHERHOOD
Developer: BioWare
Publisher: Sega
US Release: Fall 2008

• read IGN's interview with BioWare
• read GAF's info summary, part one
• read GAF's info summary, part one

nLSJUfXqU.jpg
qishxryZL.jpg
QhibONwra.jpg
FhWkTQVmu.jpg

ENGLISH OF THE DEAD
Developer: Sega
Publisher: Sega
US Release: Import, Bitches

gjdxRNmGT.jpg
JULgeMKty.jpg
cekgDGefK.jpg
fPrguIEER.jpg

BLUE DRAGON +
Developer: Feel Plus / Brownie Brown / Mistwalker
Publisher: AQ Interactive

SnYhDbLyA.jpg
eKhqaxSvc.jpg
EDpTymUCA.jpg
ZvjfSIKUS.jpg

SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION REVOLUTION
Developer: Firaxis
Publisher: Take Two

tnYrqZPck.jpg
lSpZbNRoK.jpg
PahXWrXpd.jpg
yVUnNBKeW.jpg

Also, is it just me or is Sega proving to be a remarkably strong contributor? Nothing like what they've done on their own consoles, natch, but it seems to me that Sonic Chronicles, Culdcept DS, English of the Dead, Shiren the Wanderer, Sangokushi Taisen, Bleach: Blade of Fate, Bleach 2nd, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sakura Taisen DS, Bleach: 3rd Phantom, Sega Tennis, and now a new version of Yoot Saito's SimTower... is a pretty solid lineup.

Rimshot

SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION REVOLUTION looks awesome.

Btw, are there any dates on the english versions of the dragon quest games to ds?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hey ethel, MP DS is a good game. SF Command wasnt that good IMO. It was too hard to do stuff and just wasnt fun where is counted

I'm really looking for some Broken Sword like adventure game, are there any (on the way) for the DS? How are those Touch Detective games, they look cute but GameRankings doesn't seem to have any good word for them. Are Hotel Dusk and Another Code good options? Please, enlighten me.

Also, pretty much THE reason for me buying a DS... Will DQIX make it this year (US or EU)?

Apenheul

FoxhoundNL said:
I'm really looking for some Broken Sword like adventure game, are there any (on the way) for the DS? How are those Touch Detective games, they look cute but GameRankings doesn't seem to have any good word for them. Are Hotel Dusk and Another Code good options? Please, enlighten me.

Also, pretty much THE reason for me buying a DS... Will DQIX make it this year (US or EU)?

I think the game closest to Broken Sword is Runaway: The dream of the turtle (DS) but I haven't played it yet and the only review I found so far isn't really positive so I'm holding out on this one. I do have Hotel Dusk and Another Code. Another Code is fine, has a nice feeling to it and some clever (DS specific) puzzles. It's a bit on the short side but if you can find it for cheap then I'd say go for it. I'm not very far into Hotel Dusk yet, it's has way more text but again it has a great feeling to it. They're both quite slow adventures and the one gripe I have with both is that you can't always pick an item up unless you've seen something that needs it. So sometimes you need to travel back since you found a device for which you can use an item that you previously couldn't pick up. Other than that they're fine games in my opinion.

I really like Yosumin, WordJong and Solitaire Overload for the Ds and highly recommend them as they seem to have been ignored

You can play the PC versions for free 1st to see if u like them, though the DS versions have alot more content and really are alot more fun imho

Yosumin -puzzle game from SquareEnix that is highly addictive and i find it to be one the best puzzlers on ds

YosuminWin.jpg

try the game on your pc here for free here:
http://game.nifty.com/cs/catalog/game_title/free2/catalog_sp00563_1.htm

WordJong - this game is really good and has wifi but unfortunatly because nobody seems to have the game there is never anybody online to play against, luckily the 1 player game is easily more than enough fun

Screen1.JPG

you can play the pc version online or download it for free here:

http://www.wordjong.com/

Solitaire Overload- its obviously just solitaire but solitaire is good : ) it has 100 different versions of solitaire and is is perfectly suited to DS for me its very addictive and is something i play constantly when i am watching Tv :D

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/822/822225/solitaire-overload-20070921035601146.jpg

Zerodoppler said:

scf1tz.jpg
2z5j9jc.jpg
b4su47.jpg

1zeflsy.jpg
syuhc5.jpg

Please let it be good.

There is no f'in reason in the world to why Nintendo does not have a Pikmin game for the DS, and for the Wii. WTF?

Christopher

Does Nintendo have anything coming out this year?

What a great thread, although the Castlevania's are really hard to find now.

Fireblend

Banned
So, can anyone recommend me a new DS game? To be honest, I bought NO games from 2007. 0 games. Still, I've got a pretty decent collection from 2006:

Advance Wars DS
Castlevania DoS
Tetris
Pokemon Pearl (Ok I think that's 2007)
New Super Mario Bros.
Children of Mana
Contact
Mario Kart DS
Animal Crossing
Metroid Prime: Hunters

It's a pretty decent collection IMO, but right now since I'm very busy usually, I can't be bothered to play the RPGs or adventure ones anymore. Most I play nowadays is Tetris and Mario Kart; both I can play for 10 minutes and stop playing without having to return later or anything. I'm looking for a new game like this, any recommendations?

I'm pretty sure other than Pokemon I didn't miss many DS game last year; maybe Zelda and a couple of Square-Enix games, but then again I'm afraid I wouldn't finish them because of how busy I am atm. Feel free to list the "must-have" from 2007 tho; I'd still like to see if anything interests me.

Back to those "casual" games, Space Invaders Extreme looks exactly like what I'm talking about; any other game similar to that? I can already play Geometry Wars on Wii so skip that.

Fireblend said:
It's a pretty decent collection IMO, but right now since I'm very busy usually, I can't be bothered to play the RPGs or adventure ones anymore. Most I play nowadays is Tetris and Mario Kart; both I can play for 10 minutes and stop playing without having to return later or anything. I'm looking for a new game like this, any recommendations?
Prism: Light the Way
Puzzle Quest
Picross
Professor Layton

are the casual pick-up-and-play-for-10min games that immediatly come to mind. And outside of the casual realm, I definitely recommend Contra 4 if you like games that are TOTALY AWESOME!

Edit: How could I forget Planet Puzzle League??? Tetris Attack for the SNES is among my alltime favorite games...

Top Bottom