• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the DS Rocks - Official Game Recommendation Thread

Slavik81

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DO YOU REALIZE HOW MUCH MONEY THIS THREAD IS GOING TO COST ME?

I cry myself to sleep at night over a pile of awesome DS games.

Jiggy

Slavik81 said:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DO YOU REALIZE HOW MUCH MONEY THIS THREAD IS GOING TO COST ME?

I cry myself to sleep at night over a pile of awesome DS games.
I take solace in that at least I'll be able to see the future releases coming and brace for impact.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
ds-rec-banner.png

Index
ACTION & ACTION-ADVENTURE
SHOOTERS & FLIGHT

PLATFORMING
MUSIC & RHYTHM
FIGHTING

RPG & ACTION RPG
STRATEGY & STRATEGY RPG
SIMULATION

ADVENTURE
OTHER

PUZZLE
SPORTS & RACING

THE dog$ LIST

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'd also like to recommend a puzzle game called Prism: Light the Way. Its pretty much flown under the radar but its excellent and could really use a thread like this to bring attention to it.

Fuck this thread and its lack of Battles of Prince of Persia.

That's it, I'm making a thread. You fools need to be educated.

This thread is too much for me to handle.

I feel like as many games I buy I will never be able to experience all the good that is DS.

Neo Child

Banned
HK-47 said:
I'd also like to recommend a puzzle game called Prism: Light the Way. Its pretty much flown under the radar but its excellent and could really use a thread like this to bring attention to it.

Ding ding ding ding ding!

Cheap-as-anything presentation, but really nails the gameplay.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'm constantly amazed at how good the DS Kingdom Hearts game looks. And I can't believe I never knew about Time Hollow until just now, that looks really interesting. I wish the trailer had shown gameplay, but a point and click adventure game with a time travel pen... What can go wrong?

Great thread Ethelred!

ksamedi

Hey, Great thread. There should be a non game section as well, or a casual section. I think games like Brain Training are definitly worth a mention.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:
Wait, guys, hang on.

Is this some kind of inside joke I'm missing, or is Over the Hedge legitimately a good game?

I dunno but it has a 73% at GR, which is pretty good for a licensed game, much less one on a handheld

LakeEarth

I'm going on vacation in a bit, I'm wondering if Geometry Wars Galaxies is good for DS? I do have a Wii though, is the Wii version "better" or anything?

gimz

omg, this thread makes me want to buy 2 more ds

whats the afterschool boy game? never heard of it, but it looks interesting

ethelred

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I'm constantly amazed at how good the DS Kingdom Hearts game looks. And I can't believe I never knew about Time Hollow until just now, that looks really interesting. I wish the trailer had shown gameplay, but a point and click adventure game with a time travel pen... What can go wrong?

Great thread Ethelred!

Probably the thing that interests me the most about it (aside from it being an adventure game and looking really great) is that it's being made by Junko Kawano, the same developer behind Shadow of Destiny/Memories on the PS2. That was a very cool, underrated game and I'm eager to see what she'll turn out in returning to the genre.

dude

dude
ethelred said:
Probably the thing that interests me the most about it (aside from it being an adventure game and looking really great) is that it's being made by Junko Kawano, the same developer behind Shadow of Destiny/Memories on the PS2. That was a very cool, underrated game and I'm eager to see what she'll turn out in returning to the genre.
I'm interested in the game as well, I can see some nice puzzles. But I really hate the art, the characters look like they were taken out of a manga characters catalog...

Neomoto

The DS rocks indeed. So much games I've yet to play and the list on awesome games yet to come is growing almost by the week. And very soon I will hold Advance Wars: Days of Ruins in my hands. Fucking awesome.

Btw, I didn't read much of the reply's but here are a few games that might the worth to add to the awesome OP? :)

Blue Dragon DS
Luminous Arc
Luminous Arc 2
Magical Starsign
SimCity DS
Myst DS
Contact
Diddy Kong Racing DS
Worms Open Warfare 2
Dragon’s Lair DS
Super Mario 64 DS
Ultimate Mortal Kombat
Puzzle Quest - Challenge of the Warlords

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Speaking of Magical Starsign, is this game worth 8.96? I saw it in the Circuit City bargin bin the other day, seemed kind of interesting. Any pros and cons would be appreciated.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Takeda Kenshi said:
Speaking of Magical Starsign, is this game worth 8.96? I saw it in the Circuit City bargin bin the other day, seemed kind of interesting. Any pros and cons would be appreciated.

Yes, it's worth 10 dollars. I can find more specific self-reviews around here somewhere.

I consider it a decent, if generic, jRPG marred by crappy controls, and (if you care about that sort of thing) awful art.

Yeah, might be worth 10 bucks if you like jRPGs in general.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Takeda Kenshi said:

Pros:
- Fully stylus controlled, and well implemented.
- Some pretty nifty battle systems
- Surprisingly cute sprites and backgrounds despite the shitty cover.
- Periodically tough.

Cons:
- Generic
- Forced stylus control, although as I mentioned in Pros it's quite good, can be annoying for some people.
- A tad kiddie in terms of plot.
- Periodically tough.

I thought it was worth full price although not a AAA title.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
OP requires to be updated with Puzzle Quest and the index made by PantherLotus.

Deku

Banned
Neomoto said:
The DS rocks indeed. So much games I've yet to play and the list on awesome games yet to come is growing almost by the week. And very soon I will hold Advance Wars: Days of Ruins in my hands. Fucking awesome.

Btw, I didn't read much of the reply's but here are a few games that might the worth to add to the awesome OP? :)

Blue Dragon DS Luminous Arc
Luminous Arc 2
Magical Starsign

SimCity DS
Myst DS
Contact

Diddy Kong Racing DS
Worms Open Warfare 2
Dragon’s Lair DS
Super Mario 64 DS
Ultimate Mortal Kombat
Puzzle Quest - Challenge of the Warlords

A lot of those games (bolded) you've listed are objetively mediocre (Sim City), not yet out or will suck regardless. (ie Blue Dragon)

Ethel's list isn't complete by any means but it's a good start. He skipepd Orcs and Elves for example.

Jiggy

Stumpokapow said:
[re: Magical Starsign]
I thought it was worth full price although not a AAA title.
Likewise. I just sold it today due to lack of replay value--not much of a surprise when it's that linear and has basically no sidequests--but I found it surprisingly enjoyable while it lasted.

Edit: I'm not making a new post just for this, but I do agree that there was no defensible reason for the touch controls; that did quite a bit to harm the game. :| Talking to NPCs became more annoying than it should have been, map screen movement wasn't as precise as the D-pad movement (and even the D-pad movement seemed sort of dumb since stylus use was forced anyway once the party entered a battle), it was probably a bad idea to have the player constantly covering up some of the pretty sprites in the middle of battles, and backing out of a menu or menu selection wasn't as quick as it could have been due to the lack of ability to just use the B button.

Thinking back, I'm not even sure I remember what I liked about MS other than some pretty snappy dialogue, the cheesy music of the space police, and a rather nice difficulty balance. Probably the latter was what mostly did it.

ethelred

Someone want to do up a set for Worms: Open Warfare 2 so I can toss it up?

Re: Magical Starsign. I didn't think it was a bad game, but it wasn't really a standout, either. Decent. Average. Fun enough. There was absolutely no reason for its controls, though.

Alaluef said:
OP requires to be updated with Puzzle Quest...

Oh? I can toss it in, but I thought it was pretty much unanimously agreed that the PSP version was better. Or the 360 version. Or the PC version. Anyway, it's hard to really say that a game is a recommendable point for a system when it's on fifteen other systems.

Deku said:
Ethel's list isn't complete by any means but it's a good start. He skipepd Orcs and Elves for example.

It's one of those games that's been really poorly reviewed and hasn't seemed to have gotten a particularly positive reception even here on GAF, which were the two main criteria I used. But again, if most people think I should add something, I'm amenable.

Also, just as a general note: I tried to add lots of informative links as well as just screenshots, links to particularly interesting or well written articles, or things offering a unique perspective beyond the generic media sites most people frequent. If anyone wants to suggest more of those for a particular game, feel free on that, too.

Oh, and now that we've seen Sonic Chronicles... well, that's definitely going up as soon as we get some actual screenshots.

Also, I guess:

INFINITE FRONTIER: SUPER ROBOT WARS OG SAGA
Developer: Monolith Software
Publisher: Bandai
US Release: lol

xhuhgWlCr.jpg
yCeueLhrW.jpg
FxGjmlCKI.jpg
SnIYArLtY.jpg

Concept17

Seems suitable to post in this thread...

I should hopefully be picking up a DS later today, along with a couple of games that I can find nowadays for a cheap price. (20$ or less)

I already bought 5:

Etrian Odyssey, Children of Mana, Rocket Slime, Pheonix Wright... and the best one... Sims2 Castaway (for the g/f)

So what should I look for?

Keep in mind I don't care for mario/zelda.

EDIT: Is Puzzle Quest really worth it?

Filter

Concept17 said:
EDIT: Is Puzzle Quest really worth it?

alot of people rave about it, but personally I think it is a mind-numbingly boring piece of shit with a disgustingly generic dungeons and dragons facade.

batbeg

I know it doesn't often get much in the way of praise, and in my many months of lurking and awaiting activation here I've only seen it mentioned once or twice, but I honestly think LostMagic is worth recommending to people, especially now that it can be had for quite cheap (I myself bought it for £15 brand new over a year ago).

The game has poor music and graphics, as well as a weak presentation and throwaway plot despite the seemingly good things like Studio Ghibli designs and a good or evil path to take near the end, but I still felt it was excellent to play. Not perfect by any means - the pathfinding was horrible and the difficulty was sometimes attrocious, I thought. Nonetheless this is my favorite DS game to date, and it did actually fare alright in some reviewers eyes (GameSpot, Nintendo Power, some other minor sites or zines which I don't really know anything about) despite most giving it a mediocre review. It was one of these jRPGs trying to be an RTS almost, and none of these have done too well in the reviews, but there's definitely a portion of gamers out there who like it.

And funny enough I've never actually played it online, which is meant to be one of the big draws of it. I just enjoyed the spell creations and even the absurd amount of micromanagement that was necessary to keep my allies alive. For the price which you could probably find this, I think it's great. So yeah, just felt like throwing that out there.

Also, I may need to check the OP again to see whether or not it's listed, but the 5 or so hours I've been playing Contact have been really fun. It's quirky and kind of stupid but addictive.

Edit: As far as Puzzle Quest is concerned, I love it on the DS. I only played my friend's PSP version but I didn't like it as much, simply because the controls feel really really good to me on the DS version. I've also heard the PSP has a bug which doesn't let you use your allies benefits at the beginning of battles which is not a major loss, but still pretty sucky if true. I've not played the 360 or PC or PS2 or Wii versions, but at least this has the benefit of being portable :D

rblaa

electricpirate said:
Hows the single player of hunters? I don't really have any interest in the online MP aspect.

MPH gets some flak for it's single player game.

I love it myself, and think it's great. The game is generally quite polished and captures the metroid feel just fine.

There are some valid gripes, mainly to do with repeated bosses and tedious countdowns, but over all the game is fun, especially about midway when the worlds really open up.

rpgfan16k

Opus Angelorum said:
Just got a DS Lite, and I've ordered Trauma Centre as my first game.

Anyone care to comment on the sequel?

There is no DS sequel. The first wii game (Second Opinion) is a wiimake of Trauma Center DS, and New Blood is the wii sequel. There is only one Trauma Center game for the DS, sadly :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Opus Angelorum said:
I just found that out myself :(

I finding it hard to track down Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. As this is a trilogy, would people recommend starting with this one first?

Yes they all connect

Top Bottom