• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why was Resident Evil 1's voice acting so damn bad?

deeptech

WHAT IS IT?

BLOOD!

Edit: Damn , beaten..... :(

Seriously , how can you be mad with it.. I even think that we need more of these "so bad that it's actually good" VA in games. Today it's all pretty mediocre , not that good and not that bad either, its just boring.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
The opening FMV and voice acting gave RE1 a true B-movie feel that you'll probably never see again in a AAA production. Just another reason to love it.

cvxfreak

I actually find REmake to be quite awkward as well. The speaking is more believable than the original, but seem so disjointed and forced. Almost unnatural. The Outbreak games had similar issues with their VO. Meanwhile, RE0 was actually quite good, IMO.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Playing through the REmake now. First time playing it so missed the original VO.

Side note I bought RE4 on Steam to play through later on, booted it up just to see how it ran.

That Voiceacting is horrendous. And the storyline is one lone rookie guy who's first actual mission is something as high profile as the presidents daughter?

Hopefully that gets better.

LiK

I actually find REmake to be quite awkward as well. The speaking is more believable than the original, but seem so disjointed and forced. Almost unnatural. The Outbreak games had similar issues with their VO. Meanwhile, RE0 was actually quite good, IMO.

I think going back to RE4, some of the dialogue and delivery is also kinda eh. RE5 was pretty great tho. Best Wesker.

I'll be honest. As a non-native English speaking person, RE VA helped me a lot in 1996, cause the game didn't have subtitles but I could understand everythibg they were saying.

That doesn't explain to me why each VA had to have awkward pauses in between words and placed emphasis on words that required no emphasis to begin with. New or not, why did a person suddenly behave unlike a person?

I've always had a theory that the voice actors were literally just given the words to say into the microphone and that there was no context given to them at all. I imagine that for Resident Evil, Symphony of the Night, House of the Dead, etc. So, maybe they have to just imagine a scenario in their head and the way their words come out makes sense to them?

Saw this after I initially posted. Crazy!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The RE games always had pretty bad voice acting. Capcpom just doesn't give a fuck.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Side note I bought RE4 on Steam to play through later on, booted it up just to see how it ran.

That Voiceacting is horrendous. And the storyline is one lone rookie guy who's first actual mission is something as high profile as the presidents daughter?

By RE4 Leon has survived Raccoon City, it's years later, and he is far from a rookie.

I think it may have been cast and acted in Japan, where the pool of English speaking voice talent is narrower than it is here. And I'm sure the direction was weak.

OH BARRY

Indeed. The voice actor for Barry lives (lived?) in Japan.

Fun fact: He's also the Barry in the intro. And his real name is ...Barry.

Jawmuncher

Oh man repeatedly mashing the analog in one direction in RE Outbreak was fun as hell.
Also RE1 has the so bad it's good. REmake just goes back and forth. I noticed Rebecca seems to be the most to blame for awkward dialog.

Hynad

Banned
Voice is indeed very bad. Yet, I just finished the REmake HD yesterday, and I must say that, along with some mild control issues due to the nature of the camera angles, the only flaw of that game is the voice acting. But I feel the cheesiness of it all actually makes for an interesting flavor!

I've always felt the game was the better instalment in the series, and after replaying it the last week, I have to say it's a definite timeless classic. The game aged pretty well and was as good as I remembered it. Which is no small feat for a game that's over 15 years old.

I still wished they'd have worked better on making the backdrops more refined and higher res. But it still looks gorgeous. Especially the forest sections.

Jinroh

Newsbot will eventually comment on it but if I remember correctly it was intentional, they asked the actors to "exaggerate" it for the japanese audience or something.

Ducktail

In hindsight, Wesker has the best acting. Barry and Rebecca are so off though. Still love it though. What a great gem.

border

"It's a weapon - it's really powerful......especially against living things!"

Good lord, this thread is making me wish that there was a Resident Evil 1 HD so people could experience the original game at a decent resolution. I'm guessing the old PC port probably looks like garbage on modern machines.

RE1 was so enigmatic because instead of cornball over-acting, so many of the lines are under-acted.....just read in a flat, oftentimes stuttery or stilted manner. The most memorable thing about the game to me was how rarely people acknowledged the horrifying situation they were in and just seemed to accept it so readily. The horror is almost subtext at times. Nobody ever says "Holy shit we're being killed by zombies!" but instead might say "Hey thanks Barry, that thing almost got me!"

Haunted

Illuminating.

Think about Resident Evil 1… Think of Sergio Jones playing Albert Wesker in that one, and how everyone talks about how his performance was so horrible.

You know what? He’s a good actor. It sounds horrible because they probably had 300 lines on an Excel sheet, and you have no idea [about the context of the scene, so you] just keep repeating the line.

So it’s like, “Open the door.”

“Let’s just do three different takes on that.”

“Open the door. OPEN the door. Open the DOOR.”

And then some Japanese engineer goes, “I like the rhythm of that last one.”

Chronos24

At the time video games were still really coming in to their own and gaining unprecedented popularity. But... violent video games such as RE were really unheard of when it came to violence. With a game as violent as this one, the voice acting would need to be conservative, to the extent it went though.. was terrible.If the game were made new today, we'd probably get something along the lines of Gears of War or something of that nature.

People really underestimate the value of good directing. You can have the most talented voice actors in the world, but if aren't molding their voices to fit the context of the scene, to serve the narrative functions...it doesn't matter.

Think about Resident Evil 1… Think of Sergio Jones playing Albert Wesker in that one, and how everyone talks about how his performance was so horrible.

You know what? He’s a good actor. It sounds horrible because they probably had 300 lines on an Excel sheet, and you have no idea [about the context of the scene, so you] just keep repeating the line.

So it’s like, “Open the door.”

“Let’s just do three different takes on that.”

“Open the door. OPEN the door. Open the DOOR.”

And then some Japanese engineer goes, “I like the rhythm of that last one.”

Its people reading off a paper, with no context, saying dialog over and over again until some guy who doesn't speak English THINKS it says cool, over an Japanese-to-English translated script. It doesn't matter WHAT actor you had here, Troy Baker, Nolan North, fuckin' Daniel-Day-Lewis, it would have been awful no matter what.

mattp

We laugh about it today, but it really kills the game in many ways for me. Although REmake wasn't exactly the best, either, it certainly was a giant step up from those fucking awful lines delivered in the original. Why and how did that game's voice acting come to be so bad?

Were the VAs encouraged to be campy?
Were they too inexperienced and simply did not know what direction to take?
Did they just say, "Fuck it, no one is going to give a shit about some game called Resident Evil"?

I mean, not to exaggerate, but I am certain that every single line delivered in this game is inappropriate to the mood and/or simply awful.

the voice acting is 299990238x better in the original
it's SO bad and campy it wraps back around to being entertaining as fuck

the remake is just plain boring BAD

ClearData

It inadvertently made the game better though. Resident Evil always had a B movie charm to it. If you play this shit straight you get the ridiculousness of Chris punching a boulders. I don't think it should do action movie serious.

eso76

Acting, directing, editing, special effects in the live action intro show a very limited budget.
Or some twisted genius. Because man, RE sure wouldn't be the same without the camp.

11redder

The voice acting was fantastically bad and I always thought it was intentionally schlock horror level. The only way they could have improved on it was to procure the services of Rick Dagless and Lucien Sanchez.

Playing through the REmake now. First time playing it so missed the original VO.

No, he was a rookie in Resident Evil 2 (RE4 takes place many years later)

antibolo

Banned
Voice acting in video games was still a new thing back then, and western companies didn't really understand the process of hiring and producing voice acting talent.

Nowadays most video games use the same VA production houses as other media (ie. cartoons/anime), but it took them a while to figure that out because they thought it wasn't worth the extra expenses. They just did it internally and thought "it's just video games so it's good enough".

Top Bottom