• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why was Resident Evil 1's voice acting so damn bad?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
You can't think of why Resident Evil 1 may have had bad voice acting?

OH. MA. COD.

As others will say, it was 96, voicing wasn't common in that day and age. Game was low-budget, Capcom didn't expect it to sell as it did. Game was made by the Japanese, they voice directed it and took the line takes they wanted from English actors. The actors were who they could find in Tokyo at the time who were America, which was a rare breed back then. Game is stylized like a B-horror movie, it fits perfectly with the sort of thing the game is imitating.

One extra thing to throw out there is the translation team with Resident Evil has always taken strange liberties to make the English scripts more... I don't quite know the word for it, maybe hammy? In the original Japanese script for RE1, Barry seems like a very serious character, a family man. When Capcom found out Barry was popular overseas, at first they didn't know why because, to the Japanese perspective, he was simply a family man character who faced moral dilemma, they were surprised he was so popular in English-speaking countries and didn't know why. However, they soon found out and put together the reason was because of his dialogue, how it was translated and sounded to Americans was absolutely hilarious. I remember an interview a while ago telling this story from one of the Capcom employees, so I think part of it may have to do with whoever handled translating the script.

petran79

Banned
Voice acting in video games was still a new thing back then, and western companies didn't really understand the process of hiring and producing voice acting talent.

It wasnt. Toonstruck was released the same year btw. It is just that RE was meant for a different audience....
While Toonstruck was meant for adventure games fans. On PC games had decent voice acting.

Look at the cast. It was a matter of approach and of course budget

Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd, Dan Castellaneta, David Ogden Stiers, Dom DeLuise, Jeff Bennett, Corey Burton, Jim Cummings, Tress MacNeille, Robb Paulson, April Winchell, Frank Welker

Toonstruck-European-Cover.jpg

ArjanN

I feel like RE4 is more knowingly ridiculous. The actors are clearly hamming it up.

You're right, although to a lesser entent RE1 is also clearly cheesy on purpose, just look at that live-action opening bit, there's no way they weren't at least somewhat going for a shlocky B-movie tone.

And yeah, there were games with good voice acting even back then. (mostly adventure game stuff) but to be honest those were mostly exceptions. In general the bar was much, much lower.

There's a story about this... the voice director liked the sound of it... something... I can't really remember. Ask News Bot, sure he knows the whole story lol.
Yeah, I remember reading an interview back when the RE first released (maybe it was when RE2 was announced). I'm not sure who was being interviewed, but the interviewer asked about the voice acting and why it was SO bad. The individual being interviewed explained that the lines were originally recorded with a very natural delivery by the cast. Whomever was in charge was Japanese and understood little to no English. That person didn't understand the conversational tone and had the cast record the dialogue again, with a much slower and more deliberate delivery. They had no idea how rediculous it would sound to western ears.

Tybolt

Banned
I never researched into it, but I always figured in-house VAs back then were probably hired by the predominantly Japanese companies, or hired Japanese people who could speak the language but not with the proper inflection or emphasis for character acting.

Also Capcom was just terrible at VA stuff back then. Mega Man 8 and Mega Man X4, anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0 Oh no, Doctuh Wahwee.

News Bot

Banned
1) The script was butchered by a lousy translator with a strained grasp of English.
2) None of the main developers had any involvement with the translation.
3) They hired actors off the streets of Tokyo/Osaka. If you were Caucasian you had a shot.
4) The voice director (Rebecca's VA) was terrible. As an actor and as a voice director.
5) No bilingual English staff involved with the game to offer feedback.
6) Mikami wanted the actors to speak slowly in an unnatural, exaggerated way because he didn't understand English.

Etc.

RE1 was intentionally campy with b-movie quality dialogue and voice acting.

Absolutely wrong. The development team were embarrassed when they learned that the acting and dialogue weren't well-received. They had no grasp of English, so weren't able to tell. To them, it sounded "cool", the same way an English speaker has no concept of genuinely good acting in Japanese.

Cavalier

Banned
We laugh about it today, but it really kills the game in many ways for me. Although REmake wasn't exactly the best, either, it certainly was a giant step up from those fucking awful lines delivered in the original. Why and how did that game's voice acting come to be so bad?

Were the VAs encouraged to be campy?
Were they too inexperienced and simply did not know what direction to take?
Did they just say, "Fuck it, no one is going to give a shit about some game called Resident Evil"?

I mean, not to exaggerate, but I am certain that every single line delivered in this game is inappropriate to the mood and/or simply awful.

This article will explain for you: http://geekparty.com/d-c-douglas-an...-why-resident-evil-1s-voice-acting-was-awful/

" Think of Sergio Jones playing Albert Wesker in that one, and how everyone talks about how his performance was so horrible.
You know what? He’s a good actor. It sounds horrible because they probably had 300 lines on an Excel sheet, and you have no idea [about the context of the scene, so you] just keep repeating the line.
So it’s like, “Open the door.”
“Let’s just do three different takes on that.”
“Open the door. OPEN the door. Open the DOOR.”
And then some Japanese engineer goes, “I like the rhythm of that last one.” "

"The Japanese will always pick what they think sounds good in their minds, not necessarily what sounds good to an English-speaking audience… But they started learning… They realized that, yes, people want good actors in their video games."

fred

One thing that people might want to take note of is that, Revelaitons aside, as the voice acting improved the games got worse. They should bring the bad voice acting back imo.

Here's an official statement from Mikami from an old, translated pre-RE2 interview.

http://www.bioflames.com/miscsection5.htm

Bio Hazard was really popular in the US and Europe as well, when you were developing it did you think at all about the foreign market?.

M: Well actually no, I didn't think about the foreign market, and because of that I've been told that the dialogue in the game was very strange (laughs) I've heard that a lot, I'll do it properly next time.

We thought it was a bit odd too, was the voice recorded in America?.

M: No, we recorded it in Japan.

But, American voice actors right?.

M: Well the voice actors were American, but the translator was Japanese, so people ended up thinking the dialogue was very unnatural. The other thing is that at first the actors didn't speak very clearly, the US version doesn't have subtitles on the screen like the Japanese one does, so in the English version if you miss hearing an important message, that's it, there is nothing you can do to fix that, we asked the voice actors to speak very slowly and clearly, but that ended up being a negative itself. since I am Japanese I didn't realize how strange it was for them to be speaking so slowly, I was disturbed when I finally noticed that much later.

Bl@de

Bad?

What do you mean?

Do you mean great?

Sure was.

Way better than remake. Never took itself serious despite being survival horror.

dlauv

Because ironically, Mikami thought it was so damn good.

He didn't know they were so funny until the game launched in the US.

jimi_dini

The game came out in '96 and there weren't many games around that had consistent voice acting at all, so I don't get the expectation that the voice acting was supposed to be good.

*cough* Gabriel Knight *cough* released 1993 *cough*

But sure, I guess Resident Evil was supposed to be campy. Just watch the intro movie.

I bet that's how he got the job

He got the job, because he was flipping badass

bUzeOWD.png
gbwgqf9.gif

Jk80Qva.gif

Jill <3

Ooccoo

Can't have good VA when the script is utter garbage

No actor can make "Jill, here's a lockpick. It might come in handy if you, "the master of unlocking", take it with you." not corny

lazygecko

Speaking of weird Japanese preferences, what's the deal with them always listing blood type in character profiles as well? Pretty sure that was in RE1.

I just don't think cinematic gaming had grown enough at the time. The flow of the in-game stuff seemed more concerned with emulating text conversations in past games than something from the film world. The timing of everything was totally out of the actors' control. It was a transitionary period, but the ground broken has proven to be worth it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jill's outfit still makes no sense to me. What's with the floating shoulder pads and the hat?

RedAssedApe

Banned
because it was the 90s. its not like it was just the voice acting. look at the FMV cheese. the entire thing looked like it was supposed to be a B-movie.

Zee-Row

Banned
I love the comment Mikami had in that interview about the element of fear being lost if its all polygons. Thats the main reason why the new games aren't scary anymore.

Mikami wanted the voice actors to talk slowly, because he thought that would sound better, even though he didn't even understand english.

eso76

I love the comment Mikami had in that interview about the element of fear being lost if its all polygons. Thats the main reason why the new games aren't scary anymore.

Eh. No.
Back then, Mikami's comment might have made some sense (in terms of real time graphics being way too primitive to be scary) but this hasn't been true for years and polygons are not the reason why newer RE's aren't scary

Speaking of VA it's clear that a lot of games back then had absolutely no voice acting direction, with actors having no idea about the context, or their characters.
It shouldn't surprise us that Japanese devs didn't really think of what the game would sound like to a western audience: only a few years before we had huge grammar or spelling mistakes in games *titles* no one thought it would be worth double checking before going in full production...

Lack of voice acting direction has plagued..every localised product in non English speaking counties for years.
In these cases, voices often lacked any ambiance, reverb or even the most basic adjustments due to positioning, with every line being delivered in pure, flat recording studio quality, regardless of room structure etc. and would sound completely detached from the game in most cases. Thank God those days are gone

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Resident Evil needs a black or Latino main character. Completely off topic but after seeing the picture above me, it bothers me that there hasn't been any yet. Sheva hardly counts.

I never noticed the voice acting as being bad back in the day, but then in-game speech was such a novelty at the time I wouldn't have cared.

I'm still not used to games with voice acting though. I'll always remember being blown away by "The Last Metroid Is In Captivity. The Galaxy Is At Peace"...

Kinyou

Can't have good VA when the script is utter garbage

No actor can make "Jill, here's a lockpick. It might come in handy if you, "the master of unlocking", take it with you." not corny
Why would the "master of unlocking" not even have a lockpick with her

"Here's a sniper rifle. It might come in handy for you, the master of sharpshooting"

Top Bottom