• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why was Resident Evil 1's voice acting so damn bad?

This game came out almost 20 years ago at a time when most games story was told by text. Look at the FF games. Massive games for those days but barely any voice acting. But come on it had its charm otherwise they would have been forgotten. Heck even with amazing voice acting these days I can't recall a single one with memorable lines like these.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
This game came out almost 20 years ago at a time when most games story was told by text. Look at the FF games. Massive games for those days but barely any voice acting. But come on it had its charm otherwise they would have been forgotten. Heck even with amazing voice acting these days I can't recall a single one with memorable lines like these.

Look, RE1's voice acting is certainly entertaining. I can laugh at it for days on end. But just because it's entertaining does not make it quality. In reality it's absolute shit.

-MD-

While it may kill the game for you it actually makes the game for me. I absolutely love the voice acting in re1.

liquidtmd

Banned
This game came out almost 20 years ago at a time when most games story was told by text.

Except it wasn't. A fair few games were getting voiced at that point. High profile ones too, with Tomb Raider and Legacy of Kain around that time. FF games didnt get properly voiced until six years later but comparing a dialogue heavy RPG to RE is a bit unfair.

What is this?

I remember 1997, a student loan wisely wasted and heard this particular one liner in the original house of horrors. Good times.... Then realised I needed a memory card to save my progress. Had to get off my sofa and down to Dixons.

Except it wasn't. A fair few games were getting voiced at that point. High profile ones too, with Tomb Raider and Legacy of Kain around that time. FF games didnt get properly voiced until six years later but comparing a dialogue heavy RPG to RE is a bit unfair.
I am aware of that but I should have been clear most Japanese devs still didn't voice their game at 96. Western devs sure. They began voicing their games even earlier like Lucas games as far I remember. An actors performance has lot to do with the director. And obviously mikami and others weren't proficient enough to direct actors for this game. But the end result is still one of the most memorable performance in gaming.

Anth0ny

I like to pretend they just went up to random people off the street and asked them if they wanted to do voice acting for the game.

There's no way any of these people had any voice acting experience.

because it was meant to parody the horror genre IMO.
MGS and soul reaver both came out at that time and had brilliant VA. RE could have had better voice work they chose to go with something cheesier to make it liek b level zombie feel IMO.

-MD-

because it was meant to parody the horror genre IMO.
MGS and soul reaver both came out at that time and had brilliant VA. RE could have had better voice work they chose to go with something cheesier to make it liek b level zombie feel IMO.

The real reasons are listed on the previous page.

X-Factor

Comparison of the PS1 original to the GameCube remake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyWEXATZFwM

I like Jill's voice in the Remastered version and Resident Evil 5.

ibaiEc2Bv8Djil.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It came out in a time when voice in games was still relatively new...and also typically bad.
The game came out in '96 and there weren't many games around that had consistent voice acting at all, so I don't get the expectation that the voice acting was supposed to be good.
Voice acting in video games was still a new thing back then, and western companies didn't really understand the process of hiring and producing voice acting talent.
Ahem:
Blood_Omen_-_Legacy_of_Kain_Coverart.png

1996. Small Canadian developer and fairly low budget. No "famous" actor (e.g. Tim Curry) in the cast.

And yet, better VA than most 2010's games. So yeah... the "it was 1996" excuse doesn't really fly.

And of course you have MGS (1998), Panzer Dragoon Saga (1998), Soul Reaver (1999), not that many years later, and with excellent VA too. Plus the PC adventure games previously mentioned from the mid-90's.

1) The script was butchered by a lousy translator with a strained grasp of English.
2) None of the main developers had any involvement with the translation.
3) They hired actors off the streets of Tokyo/Osaka. If you were Caucasian you had a shot.
4) The voice director (Rebecca's VA) was terrible. As an actor and as a voice director.
5) No bilingual English staff involved with the game to offer feedback.
6) Mikami wanted the actors to speak slowly in an unnatural, exaggerated way because he didn't understand English.

Etc.

Absolutely wrong. The development team were embarrassed when they learned that the acting and dialogue weren't well-received. They had no grasp of English, so weren't able to tell. To them, it sounded "cool", the same way an English speaker has no concept of genuinely good acting in Japanese.
Really interesting (and hilarious), thanks for sharing these tidbits. The Mikami interview posted a few posts below yours seems to corroborate all that, too. It makes more sense to me than the "1996" excuse, honestly.

Senoculum

Unions and guilds for actors are notoriously expensive. Why spend 8k on an actor plus royalties in perpetuity when you can spend 500 flat?

Also, last I read, the voice actors were also the live action actors in the intro and outro. I think they were random non-union actors who happened to live in Japan at the time.

It came out in a time when voice in games was still relatively new...and also typically bad.

This was released on the Sega CD in 1994:
Code:
[IMG]http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/snatcher/snatcher-front.jpg[/IMG]

and the localization and voice acting put almost every other Japanese translated game to shame throughout the 32bit era. Snatcher was a real gold standard for me back in the day, and in my opinion it wasn't really topped until the Metal Gear Solid localization on the PS1.

Working Designs also had some noteworthy voice acting for their games as well, though they took a lot of liberties with the English dialogue.

But for many Japanese games, good English localization really wasn't a huge priority, unfortunately.

But there were quite a few PC point and click adventures with great voice acting though. Like a lot of the Lucas Arts stuff.

RE1 was intentionally campy with b-movie quality dialogue and voice acting.

I don't know whether or not News Bot has jumped on you for this yet, but RE4 is the only one that's deliberately campy. All the others are supposed to be serious.

I dunno...voice acting was pretty shit back then...
House of the dead 2
Couldn't find any voice acting vids for the first game

"Hahaha! Seems like my advice had no effect! Suffer LIKE G DID?!"

I think I read in a Gamefan interview or something Capcom said the director asked the voice actors to speak slowly and clearly because they were afraid that players might miss an important clue. That, mixed with the fact they didn't have an ear for natural-sounding English is what lead to the weird voice acting.

Why is RE4 like that?

Because Mikami write it to be some goofy parody of past RE games. It's basically Resident Evil's equivalent to House of the Dead: Overkill.

TV Tropes says it best:

Resident Evil 4 greatly improved the storytelling of the series simply by acknowledging how ridiculous the franchise's premise is at its core (thanks in no small part to the characterization of Leon into a Deadpan Snarker who reacts to the game's ludicrous plot on behalf of the bemused player). Sadly, this was not to last, as the subsequent games all attempt to be taken seriously and are far less highly regarded for it.

Nosgotham

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain was released in 1996 with phenomenal voice acting. The time period is no justification for the VA. I think it was obviously crafted to add to the B movie feel.

Beth Cyra

Because Mikami write it to be some goofy parody of past RE games. It's basically Resident Evil's equivalent to House of the Dead: Overkill.

TV Tropes says it best:
This isn't even really true from all I've read of the Japaneese version of RE4.

From what most importers of said RE4J is played ridiculously straight and the majority of,Mikami's supposed greatness (storyline wise) is a dub he deserves no credit for.

entremet

But still ended up being the best of the series LOL.

I agree. I just mentioned it to show how far we've come in terms of VA production.

Apparently you can hear background noise in some of the original PS1 voice work since it wasn't in a sound proof recording studio.

Mikami's comment is interesting, but it might not make sense unless you're aware that Japanese media is often subtitled. In games, the default is to have subtitles on (even with spoken Japanese).

So his comment seems to read something like "well there were no subtitles for the west, so we had the voice actors speak more slowly" (for the west).

Lol.

This isn't even really true from all I've read of the Japaneese version of RE4.

From what most importers of said RE4J is played ridiculously straight and the majority of,Mikami's supposed greatness (storyline wise) is a dub he deserves no credit for.

No, it's still campy as hell, Leon's just less of a snarker and the dialogue is less jingoistic. The translator wasn't the one who came up with stuff like "Your right hand comes off?", a squeaky-voiced midget Napoleon, and being chased across a bridge by a giant statue of said midget. The translator did add even more goofy stuff, but that's because Mikami can't write and there wasn't much plot to fuck up.

c0de

*tick tick tick*

"A dining room..."

I think it was perfect after watching the whole intro which paved the way for a b-movie like experience. I love the game as a whole and this includes the voice acting.

MavFan619

Banned
RE is a classic series overall of course but younger me loved the horrible voice acting of RE1 and Overblood enough to appreciate them even today. Sure we have higher standards now but I can go back to playing games of that era and I kinda love how bad it is.

jimi_dini

No, it's still campy as hell, Leon's just less of a snarker and the dialogue is less jingoistic. The translator wasn't the one who came up with stuff like "Your right hand comes off?", a squeaky-voiced midget Napoleon, and being chased across a bridge by a giant statue of said midget. The translator did add even more goofy stuff, but that's because Mikami can't write and there wasn't much plot to fuck up.

So you think Mikami actually wanted a realistic and believable story? You gotta be kidding.

That's actually what RE4 got perfectly right and the Resident Evils after that got perfectly wrong.

Just take a look at the game itself. It's a rollercoaster ride of fun.

Alo0oy

Banned
Screw the haters.

Best voice acting of all time, I have never been more entertained in voices than I have in RE1.

Entertainment > everything else.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I can't believe anything other than RE1 was intentionally campy. It doesn't matter that it was 1996 or that voice acting in video games was still new. There's no way someone performs like they do in RE1 and considers that acceptable, context given or not. The delivery is so unnatural, it just doesn't seem possible that they were native speakers. It just goes beyond bad acting.

Of course, I'm aware I'm denying reality.

Mzo

The game came out in '96 and there weren't many games around that had consistent voice acting at all, so I don't get the expectation that the voice acting was supposed to be good.

It didn't come out before acting was invented.

Of course it's a combination of a Japanese-written English script, bilnd takes with no context, and the final approval left to a Japanese dude that liked the rhythm of certain phrases. That article sums it up nicely.

Manu

I think I remember an interview where they said some of the lines in the game were actually made of bits and pieces from different takes, hence the akward pauses.

I need to look it up.

charsace

A lot of PC games in the 90's had decent voice acting or at least decent b-movie level acting in it. Resident Evil was just hilariously bad to me at the time.

Top Bottom