• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why were the fights in Mortal Kombat more memorble then the ones in MK:Annihilation?

Raziel

Looking at it, I actually liked Replacement Radien better

ero42Wk.gif

It was all about the tunes for me.

The first major fight involving Johnny, Sonya, and Lui against Shang Tsung's men had the main theme by Immortals playing. The soundtrack and energy during the Lui Kang vs Reptile fight was top tier. The music build up during the Scorpion and Johnny Cage fight before they entered the Nether Realm also did volumes in building the hype. The music did so much.

In Annihilation, the only tune I remember all that well was Baraka vs Lui Kang with Future Sound of London's "We Have Explosive" playing in the background. Other than that I draw a blank.
Ok dis fax machine.

Tbh Annihilation sucked but the trailer with Obumbratta by Apotheosis is hard as fuck.

https://youtu.be/InrQBpj__Vc

mas8705

Mainly because there were fights in Mortal Kombat as opposed to Annihilation. Honestly, the only things I can take from it was how it felt like there was a whole lot of CGI and special effects to try and cover up the lack there of fighting and how the last fight had... umm...

mortal-kombat-annihilation-1997-movie-review-transformation-lui-kang-shao-khan-ending-fight-review.jpg

Don't know what hurts my eyes more: the models or the amount of purple that was used.

Aiii

So not worth it
Because the only good thing about Annihilation was the OST, which is one of my favorite movie OST's ever made.

That said, I love the movie, perfect example of ”it is so bad it's good" as far as I am concerned.

PillarEN

On one hand you have Goro vs. Johnny Cage.

On the other hand you have Sheeva vs. a steel cage.

Pretty much sums up the awesomeness levels of both movies.

Mainly because there were fights in Mortal Kombat as opposed to Annihilation. Honestly, the only things I can take from it was how it felt like there was a whole lot of CGI and special effects to try and cover up the lack there of fighting and how the last fight had... umm...

mortal-kombat-annihilation-1997-movie-review-transformation-lui-kang-shao-khan-ending-fight-review.jpg

Don't know what hurts my eyes more: the models or the amount of purple that was used.

It's the ultra cinematic 6 FPS that they're animated in that really seals the deal.

Altazor

MK: Annihilation is pretty much "dutch angles and purple, the movie". It's horrible to look at.

The bad CGI and hilarious Baraka don't help, either.

Scoops312

Banned
MK:A is the greatest video game movie ever made and I will fight anyone that disagrees. It's sad that Jim Sterling seems to be the only other person that shares my love of this remarkable bad film. There's just so many so bad it's good moments: the front flips, the hamster balls, Motaro Jesus Christ Motaro, Dexter's Dad, Not Vin Diesel as Shoa Khan, the shitty CGI, Jax learning that the real metal arms were in him this whole time, the fact they were going to have Quan Chi the ultimate trickster of MK played by an actor that didn't speak english, and so much more.

Also, this film passes the Bechtel test in its first five minutes not just making it good for filmmaking but good for society:

"Mother, you're alive."
"To bad you will die."

chaosaeon

Raiden in the tattered robe peasant outfit with the hat is my favorite costume of his. I liked the idea of him posing as a beggar and always wanted them to add that in one of the new games. His looks in the new games are really overdone and silly looking imo.

"Mother, you're alive."
"To bad you will die."

"To bad YUU ... ... ... ... will die."
fixed that for you.

Fixed that for yuu, lol.

On the film's 20th anniversary, an article revealed that the Johnny Cage vs. Scorpion and Liu Kang vs. Reptile fights were added in post-production, as they got complaints that the original film didn't have enough fighting. It's why they don't really make a lot of sense in terms of the narrative (Cage vs. Scorpion especially feels like it came out of a much more fantastical film with how otherworldly the setting in the forest and then Scorpion's lair felt), so there's that.

Wow that actually explains alot. Those 2 fights were far and away the best and felt very different to all the other ones.

MikeMyers

MK:A is the greatest video game movie ever made and I will fight anyone that disagrees. It's sad that Jim Sterling seems to be the only other person that shares my love of this remarkable bad film. There's just so many so bad it's good moments: the front flips, the hamster balls, Motaro Jesus Christ Motaro, Dexter's Dad, Not Vin Diesel as Shoa Khan, the shitty CGI, Jax learning that the real metal arms were in him this whole time, the fact they were going to have Quan Chi the ultimate trickster of MK played by an actor that didn't speak english, and so much more.

Also, this film passes the Bechtel test in its first five minutes not just making it good for filmmaking but good for society:

"Mother, you're alive."
"To bad you will die."
Quan Chi was in the film?

Annihilation was pure garbage.

Thankfully there was a group of people in front of us that noticed everyone was bored as hell watching the movie and started doing commentary. Turned the movie into a comedy. People were actually thanking them at the end of the movie as it made it way more memorable.

I remember the Cyrax fight because of this exchange:

Cyrax: Death is the only way out. Major Briggs, Sonya Blade. Shao Khan will be pleased.
Jax: Shao what?!

Bishop89

tumblr_n7ukkq8K9g1tazhx4o1_500.gif

Because the original had cool fights with great casting and AMAZING music accompanying the fights and were shot well.

Annihilation was shit in every category, I don't understand the confusion.

Bane

Hell i remember the live action tv show and cartoons that were pretty damn good more than annihilation.

I too remembered the cartoon being pretty good but just this weekend I watched some of it on youtube and... yeesh. It's pretty bad.

Everyone remembers Cage vs Scorpion and Liu Kang vs Reptile.

But if you put a gun to my head only thing i can remember from annihilation is Kang turning into a dragon. Shit I forgot Jax was in there and corny as fuck.

Hell i remember the live action tv show and cartoons that were pretty damn good more than annihilation.

Dude ya boy Sirl and Kung lao. The tv show was the truth.

The second movie suffered from second movie syndrome. Like Joss Whedon has said a few times is "don't chase the dragon". Had they stuck to what made the first movie so good, then they would have been fine. But, since it was a sequel and the first was met positively by the fan base, they felt they had to go bigger..

The timing of this thread is nuts, since I just started watching Mortal Kombat on netlfix last night in a drunken stupor at like 4:00 in the morning

I loved this movie as a kid, it pretty much still holds up for what it is

First movie was the best, followed by the TV show despite the latter having one of the cruelest endings of all time in terms of future hopes alongside all the many good fights that has faded deep into obscurity.

MKA just didn't have the right stuff.

I would legit support a hard edged Wuxia remake of the lot of it that goes in deep even if they had to make it up as they went considering so long as they nailed the music.

You know how when you are a kid you like pretty much everything? Especially when it's about martial arts and video games?

I remember seeing this in the theater and despite all of that I remember disliking Annihilation. TERRIBLE.

NeonZ

They should just have adapted Mortal Kombat 2, rather than trying to go with 2 and 3 all at once. There still would have bee issues due to the new staff, but it wouldn't have been a rushed mess if they went with a smaller cast and scope.

Linden Ashby was exactly how I imagined Johnny Cage would be. Dude stole the movie for me. He had the funniest lines and the best scenes.

Christopher Lambert was excellent as Rayden. He was simply a badass without doing and saying much.

Kano's ham was just perfect.

Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa IS Shang Tsung. There is no other alternative.

Robin Shou was the weakest aspect as Liu Kang, imo. His overtly serious mission always came off hokey to me. But dat Liu Kang v Reptile fight tho.

Sonya, Jax, Sub, Scorpion were all serviceable but I wish Sub's fight was just as epic as Scorpion. The casting made the movie for me, and a plot that was good enough for a silly video game. Combined with some extraordinary OST makes Mortal Kombat reign supreme.

Not a single memorable thing in MK:A, let alone a single memorable character. Weakest part of original MK remains (Liu Kang), best part is killed within 5 minutes (Cage), and we get bootleg Rayden instead of the real one. Trash.

Skab

Because the first movie has Liu Kang vs Reptile.

When the MK announcer says Reptiles name in the movie out of nowhere? Awesome.

tumblr_n7ukkq8K9g1tazhx4o1_500.gif

Because the original had cool fights with great casting and AMAZING music accompanying the fights and were shot well.

Annihilation was shit in every category, I don't understand the confusion.

Casting so good they changed the character in the games to fit the actors portrayal going forward.

MK:A is what happens when a cinematographer tries to direct a movie. He wasn't even able to make it look as good as the first movie that he was the cinematographer on.

The Kree

Banned
How the fuck were the Scorpion and Reptile fights not in the first cut of the movie? Like, what was the movie even about without actual fight scenes?

EulaCapra

Liu Kang and Kitana vs. Smoke: it was the first time Kitana showed off her steel fans but the fight was so meh.

Sub-Zero vs. Scorpion: aged terribly!

Sonya and Jax vs. Cyrax: pretty solid even though all the robo ninjas looked terrible. Very fun fight.

Liu Kang vs. Jade: unmemorable and can't get over how Jade was a seductress, no longer Kitana's friend, and uh... no longer black.

Sonya vs. Mileena: a quick, mud fight between gals that's pretty fun.

Raiden vs. Reptiles: uh... Raiden's stunt double is visible and present 80% of the time.

Liu Kang vs. Barakas: holy shit what a terribly lit snoozefest.

Final Battle: the less said about the CG, the better.

Sonya was the real MVP in this movie to be honest. She got all the fun fights and one of the few actors to look like they were having fun making this C-movie.

Top Bottom