• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why you should lock your doors at night

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i lived with my parents we never locked any doors when we were home(not always when we werent either). For the moment i am living in a dorm, so i always lock my door if i want to sleep.

vatstep said:
I had a friend whose parents did this, though. Whenever we're at my apartment and I lock the door, he makes a comment about it, too. I just don't get it.
Do you mean that you lock your door when you are home during daytime? Is this something people in the States? A couple of years ago when i was a kid i was selling different stuff by knocking door here in Sweden, If a door was locked i didn't even knock cause i knew that no one was home.

Solo said:

Er, how would you know the door was locked just by looking at it?

I dont know about canadien doors but Swedish doors have this kind of things:
88249405_1.jpg

If you can see both of those things sticking out of the door it is locked(people can have something covering it, making it harder to break in to but people rarely do.

DeathNote said:
What are you rambling about? Your use of double negatives is confusing.

The OP and I'd assume his friend are promoting locking doors over BJJ.

In this particular situation his martial arts skills DID help his life. You can't talk it out with a guy beating your ass on drugs.

Do the people you know overtly want to find any way possible to make use of their marital arts skills? Not the case here.

Heh? I understand the situation, I was just saying that if you aren't locking your doors and you wake up to a guy beating your face in, you are in a sense, "asking for it".

...and yeah, most of those people I know have the attitude of "I can take on anything with my sweet skills, so I will now put myself in stupid situations which may allow me to prove that point."

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Does nobody here have a door that locks automatically?! What the fuck?
I don't have to lock the door because it's ALWAYS locked if it's closed.

Des0lar said:

I don't, but I live in the middle of nowhere so intruders aren't an issue at all. If I lived in a more urban area, though, I'd definitely go for an automatic lock.

Des0lar said:

That sounds annoying as hell. You step outside for 5 minutes and the door is locked when you want to go back in to get drinks or something?

Good for paranoid people, no doubt.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's stupid to not lock your doors during all times of the day, not just at night.

NimbusD

Man, I miss living in upstate New York. My freshman year of college it took me forever to remember to lock my door. Actually I really didn't get the hang of it till living in NJ.

NimbusD said:
Man, I miss living in upstate New York. My freshman year of college it took me forever to remember to lock my door. Actually I really didn't get the hang of it till living in NJ.

I don't care if you live in a town called Bell Air not locking your doors when you are not home or sleep is stupid.

Enosh

we ALWAYS look the door
and I mean always

everyone at home at the middle of the day in a village where never anything happens? Door locked

For the people who don't lock their doors...do you believe you are in some sort of RPG world where you hope strangers in need of critical information will just burst into your house and start asking questions and rooting around your stuff?

LOCK YOUR DOORS! Seriously, people who don't are dumbasses.

Midas

Haha, funny thread. I don't lock my door. Why should I? It's not like people magically knows the code to enter the building, take the elevator to my floor and opens the door? I never locked the door while living at ground level as a kid either.

Ryujin said:
For the people who don't lock their doors...do you believe you are in some sort of RPG world where you hope strangers in need of critical information will just burst into your house and start asking questions and rooting around your stuff?

LOCK YOUR DOORS! Seriously, people who don't are dumbasses.

No I dont believe that and I am not a dumbass thank you. My insurance covers anyway and if someone are to break in they can do it easily through so many other places here anyway. I just like having the door open at all times and I dont want to worry about people breaking in and stealing my shit.

It's pretty fucking funny to see people care that much about other people not locking their doors though.

Solo

Midas said:
Haha, funny thread. I don't lock my door. Why should I? It's not like people magically knows the code to enter the building, take the elevator to my floor and opens the door? I never locked the door while living at ground level as a kid either.

Are you really this naive? Guess what, tons of people who dont live in your apartment building are getting in. Whether they are friends of people living there and know the code, whether they are friends of people living there who are being buzzed in, or whether they are random people off the street hanging around until someone lets them in, they are getting in.

Solo

Milk Lizard said:
No I dont believe that and I am not a dumbass thank you. My insurance covers anyway and if someone are to break in they can do it easily through so many other places here anyway. I just like having the door open at all times and I dont want to worry about people breaking in and stealing my shit.

Does insurance cover a break-in when you took no measures whatsoever, ie. locking your fucking doors, to prevent a break-in?

Solo said:
Does insurance cover a break-in when you took no measures whatsoever, ie. locking your fucking doors, to prevent a break-in?

Yes. I actually asked them.

I also get a lot of packages and the mailman just leaves it inside the house, it's nice to trust people not stealing shit from me and no thread on GAF will make me lock it.

Solo

Who are you insured with? If I were an insurance claims person, and got a call about a claim about a break-in, and visited the place and saw no signs of forced entry, Id probably think it was a scam.

Solo said:
Who are you insured with? If I were an insurance claims person, and got a call about a claim about a break-in, and visited the place and saw no signs of forced entry, Id probably think it was a scam.

Why do you care ? It's a danish insurance company. It's pretty common for people not to lock their doors here.

Solo

Remind me never to get Danish insurance!

Kurtofan said:
I don't understand why some people don't lock their doors...
I mean it only takes a few seconds...

Because they a) are idiots, b) have the mentality that it will never happen to them, c) dont think they have anything of value, or d) all of the above.

I dont know the ins and outs of my insurance policy (sad but true, and I should), but Id hope that any insurance company worth a damn would have it written into their policy that they wont honor claims wherein the claimee was negligent of common sense.

Midas said:
<_>

Solo said:
Because they a) are idiots, b) have the mentality that it will never happen to them, c) dont think they have anything of value, or d) all of the above.

Or that if it will happen it will happen no matter what and it's nice not to go around locking it all the time. It got lots of positive sides.

This thread reminds me of the swine flu thread with people being so hurt over other peoples choices.

NotWii

Banned
Report unusual behaviour
Barricade your homes
Avoid all contact with the infected individuals
Wait for official instruction

Solo

Thats like saying "if Im gonna be in a car accident, Im gonna be in one, so why bother to wear my seatbelt?"

EDIT: Im only "hurt" because your choice is patently retarded. Too lazy to turn a key?

I just really dont think you know shit about living here, I really feel great about not having to lock my door and I love that the delivery guy can just leave shit inside the house.

It's nothing like saying why bother to wear a seatbelt. That is something that (in most cases at least) would make the accident worse... If anything not locking the door would at least have the robber not put his leg through a window or door. It's nothing about being too lazy to turn the key.

I'm happy to be a retard if that makes me a retard.

Solo

Milk Lizard said:
I just really dont think you know shit about living here, I really feel great about not having to lock my door and I love that the delivery guy can just leave shit inside the house.

Ignoring the rest of the post, lets just discuss this. Youre saying that the delivery guy comes in and leaves packages for you. Well isnt that dandy! Of course, who's to say that while hes at it, he isnt eating your food, taking a nice big shit in your bathroom, playing with your Playstation and jacking off on your bed? Of course, this is an extreme example, but Im far too cynical of people to allow them to just walk in when they feel like it, especially complete strangers.

By the way, I currently live in a small city in a very safe place in Canada, and there is STILL no way I ever leave without locking up.

Solo said:
Ignoring the rest of the post, lets just discuss this. Youre saying that the delivery guy comes in and leaves packages for you. Well isnt that dandy! Of course, who's to say that while hes at it, he isnt eating your food, taking a nice big shit in your bathroom, playing with your Playstation and jacking off on your bed? Of course, this is an extreme example, but Im far too cynical of people to allow them to just walk in when they feel like it, especially complete strangers.

I am saying he isn't, mainly because he isn't a complete stranger (i know who he is, i know who his wife is and i know his daughter still living home... The other one is old and moved to another town). But even when a new one comes I will tell him just to leave the stuff there.

Go ahead and lock your doors and be happy, seriously I couldn't care less about if other people lock or dont lock their doors as long as they are happy. Only one being retarded here is the one being so hurt about what other people do.

Vercingetorix said:
That sounds annoying as hell. You step outside for 5 minutes and the door is locked when you want to go back in to get drinks or something?

Good for paranoid people, no doubt.

Easy, just put it on the latch. Problem solved.

The front door stays locked most of the time at my house. Even if I lived in a really nice area, just leaving the door unlocked wouldn't be a possibility because you never know when some kids will break in or some dude thinks "Today I will become a serial killer" and proceeds to break in and murder you in your sleep.

Just knowing all the doors are locked helps remove stress worrying about whether my possessions, pets and self are safe.

Crazy story though, op. Glad your friend is okay!

Milk Lizard said:
I am saying he isn't, mainly because he isn't a complete stranger (i know who he is, i know who his wife is and i know his daughter still living home... The other one is old and moved to another town). But even when a new one comes I will tell him just to leave the stuff there.

Go ahead and lock your doors and be happy, seriously I couldn't care less about if other people lock or dont lock their doors as long as they are happy. Only one being retarded here is the one being so hurt about what other people do.

Are you a joke poster? what is wrong with you?

I mean...it is common sense to lock your doors at all times, not because you are cowering under your table and looking out your blinds afraid of the world, but because it's really really really stupid not to.

I mean you assume all you like that things are fine, that those things you hear about: theft, murder, assault, torture, kidnapping etc... are all just faraway things that happen in the magic of TV land.

But the truth is that those things happen to people just like you everyday, don't be a sucker at least make it difficult for them and don't be a target. There are opportunist theives/murders whatever everywhere just waiting for opportunities like that to steal shit or whatever even if they don't know what is inside.

I'm not saying sit outside with a shotgun aiming at anyone who walks by, but for fuck sake at least protect yourself/your belongings.

Now I know you say "but if they will rob me they will do it anyway, at least if I leave the door open they won't break it!". But that is not necessarily true, sometimes people just go for something cause it's easy, not that many robberies are planned weeks in advance or based on them knowing you have a sweet 50" plasma or whatever.

And hell even if you did leave the door open, some of them are assholes who won't just take your stuff and leave your house in mint condition, some of them will break, smash and burn shit for no other reason than having a "good time". Some even piss on your walls or whatever, some people are just fucked up.

Now I know the chances of this stuff happening to you is probably slim, but why take the chance in the first place? Why risk it even if it is only a small chance? I mean you act as if the tiny inconvenience of taking 2 seconds to lock your door is some monumental task worthy of only the 5 greatest heroes each taken from a seperate kingdom or something.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Milk Lizard said:

It's pretty fucking funny to see people care that much about other people not locking their doors though.

it's not so much that he cares, but that he thinks people who don't lock their doors are dumb.

i happen to agree.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
You cant even get into this building without a key or a fucking door code. Once you get past that first obstacle, our door is always locked.

Heck, I dont even open the door if I dont know the guy on the other side and I'm not expecting a package.

Speaking of not opening the door, in Finland we have this stupid thing called the TV-taxes. Basically you have to pay a fee if your apartment can receive TV-broadcasts. And if you dont pay, when you get "caught" you need to pay it double from the time you've had the tv. Has many loopholes though, such as not having to let the inspector in :lol

So yeah. Lock the doors & use the door eye.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Milk Lizard said:

Obviously you can do whatever the fuck you want, I really don't give a damn what you do and no thread on GAF is going to convince you to lock your doors. That's your right. With that said, I think its quite foolish to not lock your doors. For those people that are somehow "proud" of the fact that they don't lock their doors because they live in a really safe town, or they won't give in to fear is completely naive, and idiotic.. CRIME EXISTS EVERYWHERE. I live in California, and in the 3rd most safest city in the state. And I still lock my damn doors. Iv never had anyone try to break in, or anything, but why take the chance of someone nabbing my stuff while im at the corner store? Or nabbing my psp Go that I leave on the table while im taking shit. Do you lock your car when your not in it? Would you lock up your bike?

Even though, I think your an idiot for no locking up, its still your damn right not to, and I respect that. But FUCK YOU, if you someday get something stolen from your house, simply because you didnt lock up. Takes 2 seconds.

Ryujin said:
Are you a joke poster? what is wrong with you?

No i am not and nothing.

Ryujin said:
I mean...it is common sense to lock your doors at all times, not because you are cowering under your table and looking out your blinds afraid of the world, but because it's really really really stupid not to.
No it really isn't commom here.

Ryujin said:
I mean you assume all you like that things are fine, that those things you hear about: theft, murder, assault, torture, kidnapping etc... are all just faraway things that happen in the magic of TV land.

No i know bad shit happens everywhere, but everything but theft is really not something that happens a lot here, sure it happens (except torture... never heard about here but it will happen one day i'm sure). I'm just not worrying about it, just like my neigbours aren't. I can walk right in through their door right now if i wanted to.

Ryujin said:
But the truth is that those things happen to people just like you everyday, don't be a sucker at least make it difficult for them and don't be a target. There are opportunist theives/murders whatever everywhere just waiting for opportunities like that to steal shit or whatever even if they don't know what is inside.

Again i know shit like that happen and I am not going to worry about a guy coming into my home and murdering me. My dog will without a doubt warn me first by either barking or crying (it's a beagle... They are fucking weird) to whoever comes in.

Ryujin said:
I'm not saying sit outside with a shotgun aiming at anyone who walks by, but for fuck sake at least protect yourself/your belongings.

Now I know you say "but if they will rob me they will do it anyway, at least if I leave the door open they won't break it!". But that is not necessarily true, sometimes people just go for something cause it's easy, not that many robberies are planned weeks in advance or based on them knowing you have a sweet 50" plasma or whatever.

And if that happens it happens. I'm taking my chances.

Ryujin said:
And hell even if you did leave the door open, some of them are assholes who won't just take your stuff and leave your house in mint condition, some of them will break, smash and burn shit for no other reason than having a "good time". Some even piss on your walls or whatever, some people are just fucked up.

Then i will report it to the police just like people who lock their doors would if that happened to them ? I also go to clubs and pubs to get drunk with friends even though that is where most of the assaults takes place (or rather outside the pubs).

Ryujin said:
Now I know the chances of this stuff happening to you is probably slim, but why take the chance in the first place? Why risk it even if it is only a small chance? I mean you act as if the tiny inconvenience of taking 2 seconds to lock your door is some monumental task worthy of only the 5 greatest heroes each taken from a seperate kingdom or something.

I take the chance because i feel it's small. We all take small risks like that all the time.

Osaka said:
Speaking of not opening the door, in Finland we have this stupid thing called the TV-taxes. Basically you have to pay a fee if your apartment can receive TV-broadcasts. And if you dont pay, when you get "caught" you need to pay it double from the time you've had the tv. Has many loopholes though, such as not having to let the inspector in :lol

So yeah. Lock the doors & use the door eye.

So you lock your door because you steal/dont pay for something you get?

Anyway I am not going to bother discussing this any more, it's the same old arguments again and again and it's the same points from me again and again.

Javaman

Coins said:
Its not overkill at all. If someone has illegally entered your premises then all bets are off. I would have a gun if it wasnt for my wife's disapproval. That guy you think that may be unarmed may have a knife in his back pocket.

Or not even need one. John James Mullery took 9 .38 shots while grappeling and killing a cop. It took the 10 shot to hip to stop him. PCP does some crazy things.

Two cops (one male, one female) responded to a possible burglary and found a closed door upstairs. There was a man inside. His behavior was erratic but when he calmed down the male officer (Steve Chaney) relaxed. At that point the man (John James Mullery) made a grab for Chaney's holstered gun. The female rookie officer (Linda Lawrence) drew and shot Mullery in the wrist. Mullery continued to wrestle with Chaney for his gun but Chaney won and shot the man twice in the chest. Mullery turned, grabbed Lawrence's pistol and killed her with a single shot. That started a long sequence of events in which Mullery was shot ten times with the service revolvers. Chaney ultimately ended up with both guns--both S&W Model 64 revolvers loaded with 125gr .38sp +P.

Among the shots, Mullery was hit once in the head and another time in the ribcage. Chaney reports that when he shot him in the ribcage Mullery said: "Oooh, you got me a good one that time." and then lifted Chaney and threw him across the room. The head shot penetrated the skull but at an angle that allowed it to completely miss the brain.

Chaney had to reload at one point facing into a corner while Mullery beat him about the shoulders and back with a tire iron. Mullery also stabbed Chaney once during that reload.

Mullery was finally disabled by a shot to the pelvis and eventually bled to death. He was later found to be under the influence of PCP and cocaine. It is thought he came to the apartment to murder his girlfriend.

I think I'm going to leave my doors open all the time when I grow up and live in my own house/apartment etc. I want to see how long I'd last in a surprise fight.

Whatiswrongwithme

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Milk Lizard said:
So you lock your door because you steal/dont pay for something you get?

No, I lock my door because I don't want my stuff getting stolen.

I don't pay for something that I have no choice but to get if I have a new TV. I don't watch the channels the taxes are funding, and I don't see why I should fund them. I'm not going to pay for something I don't even want. It's a stupid policy, and maybe 50% of the households receiving TV broadcasts in Finland don't pay the fee even though everyone is supposed to. But that has nothing to do with not locking your doors. The point was that I don't open the door to unknown and unexpected people.

Mind mentioning what's the happy-go-lucky town where everyone leaves their doors unlocked?

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Growing up my family never locked our doors except when everyone was asleep. We had a 125 lb giant schnauzer though. His bark alone made people walk on the other side of the street :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom