• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why you should lock your doors at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Milk Lizard said:
I just really dont think you know shit about living here, I really feel great about not having to lock my door and I love that the delivery guy can just leave shit inside the house.

It's nothing like saying why bother to wear a seatbelt. That is something that (in most cases at least) would make the accident worse... If anything not locking the door would at least have the robber not put his leg through a window or door. It's nothing about being too lazy to turn the key.

I'm happy to be a retard if that makes me a retard.
What if you just bought some peanut butter and someone walks in on you and your dog. WHAT THEN?!

cad7_double_tap.jpg

SaskBoy

Usually in the summer, when we are home, we just have our sliding screen door open.

Locks and doors are just to keep the honest people out. If someone wanted to get into your house really bad a lock won't stop them.

SaskBoy said:
Usually in the summer, when we are home, we just have our sliding screen door open.

Locks and doors are just to keep the honest people out. If someone wanted to get into your house really bad a lock won't stop them.
But if the door is locked and you're home, the chances are higher that you will hear the intruder and take proper measures, like waiting behind a door with a baseball bat.

Jesus christ, some people here obviously have serius issues with locked/unlocked doors. Who gives a shit? You guys piling on Milk Lizard should go outside more, breathe some fresh air and relax.
And yes, I do lock my doors, but I don't give a shit if someone doesn't, it's not like I care if I can go into their home.
Edit: I meant I lock my doors when I go out and I'm the last guy in the apartment, if my roommates are in, I don't bother. There's two autolocking doors on the way to our hallway anyway.

Osaka said:
Mind mentioning what's the happy-go-lucky town where everyone leaves their doors unlocked?

I never said it was a happy town or anything but no i dont mind Grenaa (also spelled Grenå). Also i do know how your system works (i think) i have no choice but to pay here too. But i knew that when i moved in and i do actually watch tv every now and then.

Javaman said:
Or not even need one. John James Mullery took 9 .38 shots while grappeling and killing a cop. It took the 10 shot to hip to stop him. PCP does some crazy things.

Reading that story it sounds like he was shot 13 times. Once in the hand, twice in the chest and then 'a long sequence of events in which he was shot 10 times'. That seems crazy to me, how can a body keep functioning with that many organs perforated? PCP is a helluva drug.

Milk Lizard said:
I never said it was a happy town or anything but no i dont mind Grenaa (also spelled Grenå). Also i do know how your system works (i think) i have no choice but to pay here too. But i knew that when i moved in and i do actually watch tv every now and then.

Where exactly in Grenaa? What street/house number? I ask because I think I might live near you and thought we should totally hang out.

Javaman

Wormdundee said:
Reading that story it sounds like he was shot 13 times. Once in the hand, twice in the chest and then 'a long sequence of events in which he was shot 10 times'. That seems crazy to me, how can a body keep functioning with that many organs perforated? PCP is a helluva drug.

There's a much longer blow by blow in Massad Ayoob's "The Ayoob Files" book.

#1 Forearm near wrist
#2 Chest
#3 Chest
#4 Left side of the thorax near spleen, muzzle contact
#5 Center mass, near diaphragm, near contact
#6 Top of head, near contact
#7 Chest
#8 Chest
#9 Abdomen
#10 Right Hip

The last shot messed up his support framework so he went down and bled out. He was already going to die from the earlier shots, but wanted to take everyone out with him.

Certainly this is highly unlikely to happen to anyone, but my point is that even an unarmed intruder in your house is nothing to take lightly. The reason the girlfriend isn't dead is that she locked the door before she left earlier and called the cops when she saw signs that it had been forced and went next door to call the cops.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The Orange said:
Jesus christ, some people here obviously have serius issues with locked/unlocked doors. Who gives a shit? You guys piling on Milk Lizard should go outside more, breathe some fresh air and relax.
And yes, I do lock my doors, but I don't give a shit if someone doesn't, it's not like I care if I can go into their home.
Edit: I meant I lock my doors when I go out and I'm the last guy in the apartment, if my roommates are in, I don't bother. There's two autolocking doors on the way to our hallway anyway.

Well this whole crisis could have been averted if his door was locked. no police would have come. He would not have been punched in the face in his living room, the medical costs and possible legal charges.

So you would care if you were the police, or the doctors who have to deal with this after it happens.

Lot of my family who live up north in Wisconsin and rural parts of Illinois rarely lock their doors, even at night.

I of course lock everything even our bedroom door at night, and lock and loaded next to my bed.... course I live in Florida....

Trurl

Banned
Anyone who needs to have their door locked at all times is a paranoid shut-in who most likely spends too much time on the internet.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There was an issue in my dorm a few years ago where a girl was sleeping with her door unlocked "in case her friends needed her" and some drunk guy came home and picked the wrong room. He opened her door and got into bed with her. lol.

Anyway, yeah, my mom never locks anything. Even her car doors. I lock everything. It takes all of two seconds. And if you don't lock your door because you live in a "peaceful area," you are a prime target for thieves.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Trurl said:
Anyone who needs to have their door locked at all times is a paranoid shut-in who most likely spends too much time on the internet.

Wat?

Oh, I get it. You live in Utopia.

I mean, what possible benefit is there to leaving a door to your home unlocked? So your next door neighbor w/ the wacky hairdo can slide on in at random?

dem

My girlfriend locks the door all the time..
its annoying.

My parents house always has the door unlocked.

bachikarn

I've had several drunk people stumble into my apartment because my roommate would never lock the door when he came in. I started locking the door to my room when I slept as a result. Some of the drunk people were pretty annoying, but luckily none of them were violent.

Binabik15

Here in Germany front doors can only be opened with a key, so I don´t know what you guys mean by "unlocked". Are you talking about locking a door that can only be opened with a key or a door that can be opened with the door knob?

Because we just lock the door when we´re away (otherwise insurance wouldn´t pay), never at night and still nobody can get into the house without kicking the door in.

projekt84

So when he passed out the first, or even the second time, why didn't he just beat the fuck out of him and break his leg or something, it's all in self defense at that point, anyway.

Here in Finland, every student apartment I have encountered has a door that is set to lock automatically, and there is no handle outside. There is no choice for you - the door is locked at all times.

When I lived in the country-side, we never had our door locked during the day, but we did lock it for the night or if all of us went, say, shopping to the nearest city. The country-side was safe as heck - everybody knew everybody anyway - but we still did it.

I shall join the club of 'why the fuck do you *not* lock your door?'.

live near a housing project for 27 years, you will never think about leaving your door unlocked even when your home and awake

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Milk Lizard said:
No i am not and nothing.

Milk Lizard said:
And if that happens it happens. I'm taking my chances.

*SYNTAX ERROR*

It's exactly like wearing a seatbelt. 99.99% of the time, you don't need it, but the one time you do could save your life. It's a split-second of turning a bolt on the door. It's absolutely no effort to do something that could deter theft, violence, or even just give you a couple extra seconds to defend yourself should something ever happen.

However you try to justify it, not locking your door is as idiotic as driving without a seatbelt. Just because you haven't died in the process doesn't mean you're not an idiot for doing it.

Where the fuck do some of you people live where you think its okay to leave your doors unlocked and drink in dark secluded areas with strangers?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I lock my doors even when I'm at home. It would be absurd not to.

LogicStep

Man I would have loved to see that on video. It would be hilarious to see a naked dude raging on some other dudes face. :lol

Thank god your friends know bjj.

G-Bus

Banned
jamesinclair said:
Who the fuck doesnt lock their doors :lol

Last place I lived in we didn't even have a key for the door. Never mind locking it. That would of been stupid!

Lived there for 5 years.

McLovin said:
I close my front door all the time. My brother leaves it wide open. He even gets pissed when I lock it because he's too lazy to take the key out his pocket and turn the nob. He'll stand there ringing the door bell for minutes and if he has to open it himself he'll barge into my room and kick me or something. I keep trying to tell him that he's the abnormal one and that everyone should lock their doors.. he replies "oh no someone is gonna rape me if I leave my door open!!"
:lol :lol
Jamesearlcash said:
I'd just stick with plain old BJ's for now ;)
...erm.

Slavik81

It's ridiculously easy to silently break into the average house if you come prepared with the right tools, regardless of whether the door is locked or not. The only thing you can be sure a lock will do is prevent a situation like the OP's, where a drunk or otherwise incompetent person wanders into your home.

Midas

Solo said:
Are you really this naive? Guess what, tons of people who dont live in your apartment building are getting in. Whether they are friends of people living there and know the code, whether they are friends of people living there who are being buzzed in, or whether they are random people off the street hanging around until someone lets them in, they are getting in.

Not really. I've just never done it and I never will. The only time i lock my door is when I'll be away for more than ten minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom