• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii - European launch

Bert

I'm so fricking excited!!! After over a year of waiting I'll be playing Wii tomorrow!!!:D

Just had a call from a friend who's preordered at the same place I have, he's been told they're only getting 12 units in and he's number 12. I haven't had a call but I ordered well before him so it had better be OK.

I hope some Jap/US gaffers can help me though. I've hit a financial crisis and can only afford to get Zelda, Wii Play and one other game. What should I get GAF?

I'm thinking it's a tossup between Red Steel, SMB:BB, and Madden but I'm open to suggestions.

Furoba said:
GameMania in Belgium is already selling Wii in all stores. Off to check competitors' stores. :D
Serious? I thought they were going to do a midnight launch tonight? Anyway, there's a Wii waiting for mii in one of those 'competitors' stores' :D

Wes

venison crêpe
Argh Amazon hasn't sent mine yet. It just says dispatching soon. I guess I wont get mine until Saturday. Nooooooooooooooo

maxmars

Back!

They had waiting for me:

1 x Wii
1 x Wiiplay
1 x Nunchuck
1 x Classic Controller
1 x 2000 Wii points
1 x Zelda
1 x Rayman RR (showing love to 3rd parties)
1 x Call Of Duty 3 (more love to 3rd parties)

Still missing (will pickup Dec 15th):

1 x RGB Cable
1 x Classic controller

Showed my stuff to colleagues and now everything is back in its box(es), until tonight (this evening I'm taking my lady out).

Wes

venison crêpe
maxmars said:
Showed my stuff to colleagues and now everything is back in its box(es), until tonight (this evening I'm taking my lady out).

You crazy fool. Get on Zelda now! :D

maxmars

:D

Hurry up Wes with that Wii, by tomorrow (national holiday) I'll have a few Miis to send in your general direction! :lol

altaz

Neo Member
Great King Bowser said:
Damnit I shouldn't have let the rain deter me. If 8.30am was good enough to get in the HMV line. Damnit.

Fun trawl around London for me tomorrow then. :lol

Don't worry you're not alone, I woke up at about 6 all ready to head down to HMV, but then i heard the rain, and went back to bed again. I ended up phoning them at about 10 they guy on the phone said all 200 places had been taken.

Luckily, i found out that my local ASDA will be having some, phoned them up and they are getting 10, with 4 reserved already. when i got down there the list was upto 6 already. I should hopefully be getting one now. Only problem is that the assistant didn't know if they will be doing a midnight launch as the AV section closes at 10PM :(

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Wes said:
Argh Amazon hasn't sent mine yet. It just says dispatching soon. I guess I wont get mine until Saturday. Nooooooooooooooo

Same here Wes, lets cross our fingers and hope.

Xrenity

I gots me one!
4c3lls4.jpg

Furoba

Fox_Paradox said:
Serious? I thought they were going to do a midnight launch tonight? Anyway, there's a Wii waiting for mii in one of those 'competitors' stores' :D

Fnac told me they'd sell if other chains were selling, so when one of my mates returns with one, I am going too. :D

Furoba said:
Fnac told me they'd sell if other chains were selling, so when one of my mates returns with one, I am going too. :D

Hallelulja! Konitchiwa, fellow Belgian citizen! Seems the Belgians on this forum are getting theirs, as well.

Sephon

Let's just hope that they get a restock before christmas. So that I (One of the non-preorder guys) can get a hold of one too.

I guess you'll only need 1 nunchuck and a bunch of wiimotes?

Xavien

Gameplay dispatched my Wii today:

1 x Wii Console + Wii Sports
1 x Wii Play + Wiimote
1 x Nunchuk
1 x Zelda: TP
1 x Rayman: RR
1 x Red Steel (what?)

What wasn't dispatched:
1 x Classic Controller
1 x Wii RGB Cable (seems the 8th december date on their site is a bit off!)

Those missing from the dispatched list might be delivered tomorrow, guess ill have to wait to find out, otherwise accessory shortages FTW!

Looking at gameplay's forums, it seems they didn't get enough allocation to satisfy all their pre-orders, undership? or great demand?

E-phonk

Banned
Fox_Paradox said:
Hallelulja! Konitchiwa, fellow Belgian citizen! Seems the Belgians on this forum are getting theirs, as well.
I got mine also! Game mania ftw! They didn't have zelda anymore though :( I went to check at other stores (barth smith etc) - and they had copies of zelda but weren't allowed to sell it. I'm at work now, but I'm going to check free record shop, fun and other stores to get my zelda fix.

Also, the RGB cables didn't arrive in game mania :/ But they expect them to come in next week.

Important news for others who are still searching: Apparently nintendo will bring in 1 or 2 new shipments every week - with a first shipment for game mania arriving in their depot in bxl tomorrow.

E-phonk said:
I got mine also! Game mania ftw!

They didn't have zelda anymore though :( I went to check at other stores (barth smith etc) - and they had copies of zelda but weren't allowed to sell it.

I'm at work now, but I'm going to check free record shop, fun and other stores to get my zelda fix.

Also, the RGB cables didn't arrive in game mania :/ But they expect them to come in next week.

Chaos all around Belgium, buddy! I gots my Zelda secured, but the RGB-cable will have to wait till christmas, I'm afraid. Normally, Game mania would've been my provider as well, but I was way behind on the pre-orderslist. So I had to figure out a back-up plan. Luckily for me, the plan worked out!

Wes

venison crêpe
McBacon said:
Same here Wes, lets cross our fingers and hope.

Do you live close to an amazon distribution centre? You can pretty much see one from where I live so I'm wondering if that's the reason why it says it hasn't been dispatched yet, because I'm so close.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Wes said:
Do you live close to an amazon distribution centre? You can pretty much see one from where I live so I'm wondering if that's the reason why it says it hasn't been dispatched yet, because I'm so close.

There's one in my GENERAL vicinity, same county or one over I guess. It's just that the games are gone and console hasn't which is pissing me off.

Kazuya

Wait, is there a Game Mania in Brussels ?
I was planning to go to Media Markt City 2 tomorrow morning but if I can get one tonight, it's even better :x
It's a pity they don't have Zelda though...

Had mine since wednesday, a lot of stores in the Netherlands broke street date and sold their units early, including mine:D
But the allocation is really pathetic, the store where I bought it got a total of 3!!! units, and has to wait for the second shipment in Januari to furfill the 17 pre-orders they've taken :lol

Gee

A friend of mine managed to get two wii's (without pre-ordering).
Guess i'll be wii'ing after all :)

altaz said:
Don't worry you're not alone, I woke up at about 6 all ready to head down to HMV, but then i heard the rain, and went back to bed again. I ended up phoning them at about 10 they guy on the phone said all 200 places had been taken.

Luckily, i found out that my local ASDA will be having some, phoned them up and they are getting 10, with 4 reserved already. when i got down there the list was upto 6 already. I should hopefully be getting one now. Only problem is that the assistant didn't know if they will be doing a midnight launch as the AV section closes at 10PM :(

You sir, are a legend. I phoned ASDA this morning and they just told me to turn up at midnight. I'd intended to turn up early but I had no idea they were taking names on a list! I called my branch back and casually asked if they had any names on the list -- they have 3 already and they're only selling 18. I'm in work at the moment so I've sent my dad to go and put my name down. I probably wouldn't have got a Wii otherwise. Thank you!

Gee

travisbickle said:
I'm just walking into a shop this weekend, if there's one there I'll get it, if not, it was never meant to be :'(

Don't know where you live, but in the Netherlands a lot of shops are selling the System earlier than the official date. You probably should be looking for a wii earlier than the weekend. If you are able to that is..

Gee said:
Don't know where you live, but in the Netherlands a lot of shops are selling the System earlier than the official date. You probably should be looking for a wii earlier than the weekend. If you are able to that is..

Late night shopping tonight, I'll have a look. I've got a date this evening, but I'm sure she won't mind coming round to mine and playing with my wii :)

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Uh-oh...

Major UK retailers have begun warning customers they may not get their hands on Nintendo's Wii on the launch day - even if they pre-ordered the console. Sellers allege the vendor has not shipped a sufficient number of units to meet demand.

Reg Hardware today received a number of emails from readers who were last night contacted by Woolworths to tell them their pre-ordered Wiis might not arrive until Christmas.

"Nintendo have only shipped part of the promised stock for Nintendo Wii to all retailers within the UK," the retailer told pre-order customers. "Due to this, we have only received part of our allocation. We are led to believe by Nintendo that we will receive all stock in time for pre-Christmas delivery. Please accept our apologies for this delay."

Woolworths' email suggests the problem is not restricted to it alone. Indeed, we also heard today from readers who claimed Amazon.co.uk had issued a similar warnings to its pre-order customers. Again, it appears the online retailer may not get enough stock to supply consoles tomorrow, though it appears to be promising to get product out to buyers before Christmas.

Woolworths' comments mirror claims made today by DSG Group, owner of Currys, PC World and the dixons.co.uk website, that while it expects to be able to meet pre-order demand for the Wii, it may not be able to supply consoles to anyone else.

"We're expecting four deliveries between now and Christmas and we expect them all to go to pre-orders," the company told website GamesIndustry.biz.

"If customers haven't already pre-ordered then they've probably missed the boat."

Nintendo is due to launch the Wii here tonight at midnight with a big, minor-celebrity bash at the HMV Oxford Street store here in London. ®

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/12/07/nintendo_cuts_uk_wii_allocation_claim/

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Oh man, now I'm worried.

I ordered from Amazon and my Zelda order has dispatched, but my Wii order is still on "dispatching soon". I wouldn't be too bothered if that was all as others here and on other forums are getting the same thing, it probably just means there's a second lot to be sent out.

Problem is, I checked my bank account this morning...and it's coming up short. Stoopid people who are supposed to PAY ME for work I've done...haven't yet. The reason I only bought a Wii and Zelda with nothing else was because I knew that'd leave me with about £5 in my bank account, relying on people paying me when they're supposed to!

Even now I'm only coming up £10 short! God if I don't get a Wii because of 10 measly pounds...hell I have more than that in my wallet as cash in hand, I can afford it! I honestly don't know if my bank account allows me to go overdrawn, I've never tested it. Looking through the details (which aren't clear at all) it seems it doesn't, though there's also a bit which says if they agree to it when you open the account you can overdraw. But that was so long ago that I can't remember if I asked for it or not.

Man, why couldn't they have dispatched the Wii first? I could afford that alone. Zelda on its own is useless, at least I could play Wii Sports and make Miis and stuff with the Wii. And there's a decent chance I could find a copy of Zelda before Christmas, basically no chance of finding a Wii.

What makes this even worst is I tried to check my balance yesterday and the ****ing site wouldn't load. I didn't much care as no one's missed a payment to me before so I was confident I'd be fine, but if it had loaded I'd have seen and got someone (a parent probably) to transfer the teeny bit of cash I needed to cover it.

I did try calling local Asda's. One store claimed they didn't know what they were getting tomorrow...or more likely didn't look it up. It's a small one anyway, they don't even open overnight, so I didn't hold much hope for them. The other, much larger store, said they were indeed getting Wiis...and there were already people queueing for it. At an Asda?! Almost 12 hours before a launch? I can't compete with that, I can't even get there if I felt like hanging out that long.

Keep me updated guys who have ordered through Amazon and have the same message as me. If you guys change to dispatch while I stay on dispatching soon, I might try and get down to that Asda tonight anyway and take my chances. It is a BIG store, they might get a big shipment.

8bit

Knows the Score
For anyone looking to go to Asda, this is from avsforums supposedly:

List supplied by asda customer service

The 24hr store's will be selling them from midnight thursday

AINTREE 25
BEDMINSTER 10
BENTON 20
BEXLEY HEATH 10
BILTON-HULL 10
BLACKPOOL 15
BLACKWOOD 10
BODMIN 15
BOLDON 15
BRIDGE OF DEE 25
BRIGHTON 15
CAERPHILLY 10
CANNOCK 10
CANTERBURY 10
CARCROFT 10
CARDIFF 25
CARDIFF BAY 15
CARLISLE 10
CLAYTON GREEN 10
COLCHESTER 10
COLINDALE 10
COLNE 10
CORTONWOOD 10
CWMBRAN 15
DAGENHAM 20
DERBY 25
DONNINGTON WOOD 10
DUMBARTON 15
DUNFERMLINE 15
DUNSTABLE 10
DYCE 20
EASTGATE 10
EASTLANDS 10
EASTLEIGH 10
EDINBURGH 10
ELGIN 15
FALMOUTH 10
FAREHAM 25
FARNBOROUGH 10
FELTHAM 10
GLOUCESTER 15
GOVAN 15
GRAVESEND 10
GREAT BRIDGE 20
HARLOW 10
HATFIELD 10
HAVANT 25
HAYDON 15
HESSLE 15
HORWICH 10
HUYTON 20
HYDE 10
IPSWICH 15
ISLE OF DOGS 10
KENDAL 10
KILLINGBECK 10
KILMARNOCK 10
KINGSWOOD 20
LANCASTER 15
LEICESTER 20
LISCARD 10
LONGWELL GREEN 25
MARINA (BRIGHTON) 10
MILTON KEYNES 15
MILTON OF CRAIGIE 10
MINWORTH 25
MORLEY 15
NEWPORT 10
NORWICH 25
NUNEATON 10
OADBY 20
PATCHWAY 15
PENTWYN 10
PETERLEE 10
PLYMOUTH 20
PUDSEY 10
QUEENSFERRY 25
QUESLETT 20
S****HORPE 10 :lol
SHEFFIELD 25
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS 10
STANLEY 10
SUTTON ASHFIELD 15
SWANLEY 15
SWANSEA 20
TAMWORTH 20
TORYGLEN 10
TOTTON (SOUTHAMPTON) 15
TRAFFORD PARK 10
TUNSTALL 10
WAKEFIELD DURKAR 15
WALSALL 10
WALTON 10
WATFORD 10
WEST BRIDGFORD 15
WESTBROOK 15
WIGAN 15
WINSFORD 10
WOLSTANTON 15
WOLVERHAMPTON 10
YORK 25

Mama Smurf

iapetus said:
Woolworths' email suggests the problem is not restricted to it alone. Indeed, we also heard today from readers who claimed Amazon.co.uk had issued a similar warnings to its pre-order customers.

Well they haven't issued those warnings to me or anyone else in this thread, that's for sure, or we'd have heard about it.

Having said that...I kind of hope it's true, as then I could get money into my account in time for the second shipment. Doesn't really make sense that they'd say it's dispatching soon though if they didn't even have it.

Wes

venison crêpe
Don't risk it smurf. Go there now!

Also are we going to have a "post your European Wii Number here?" thread. I think it's needed!

Mama Smurf said:
Oh **** this is me. Apparently there were ~6 people queueing 45 mins ago. Really can't see how 9 more people wouldn't turn up before I could get there.

I've just found out if you go and put your name down you've gotta stay in the store til midnight. Looks like I'm going to the Aintree store after work... I'll have to enlist help so I don't go nuts waiting. DS is charged... got all my DS games on me. Could do with my ipod though... ugh...

Wes

venison crêpe
Do you guys think there'll be many WiiPlay's available to pick up too? I forgot to preorder a copy.

E-phonk

Banned
Like I said a few posts back - concerning belgium - the game mania storemanager told me they would have a new shipment in store early next week (they were going to be delived in their national depot on friday), but that it would still be to fill pre-orders.

I live in a fairly small town (40.000 ppl) and the local game mania store had 12 Wii's. There are at least five other stores that will have Wii consoles here - and 2 of them don't do pre-orders.

sharkie

Aurora said:
I had no pre-order or anything. Nothing planned for the Wii. I just go down to HMV at 9.30 and they asked if I wanted to take part in the event tonight. A few minutes later they take my name down and take my picture.

:lol :lol :lol

All these people gloating because they pre-ordered 5 months ago... I go there for 2 minutes and I'm guaranteed a Wii before anyone else in Europe. Not to mention drinking champagne with celebs, free games, limited edition Zelda.

:lol Wiiiiiii

DAM IT ALL TO HELL I thought it was a good ol lineup I guess not :'( , I just called the store and they said that they ran out of the wrist bands by 11.30 this morning and they've been selling them for DAYS argh, its an atrocity factoring in that the bloody store is only a 5 minute walk from where I live AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH DAM IT ALL TO HELL AGAIN.

p.s if anyone can pick me up one of the Zelda limited editions I'd would be eternally grateful and would pay them an extra 10 quid if they could PM me if one of you guys can :'(

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
YES!

YES!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSS

View order
Items dispatched on 7 Dec 2006:
Delivery estimate: 8 Dec 2006
1 package via City LinkTrack your packagewith tracking number YD020440

* 1 of: Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)
Sold by: Amazon.co.uk

Call me a twat but I literally held my hands in the YES! pose for about a minute

r4z4

sharkie said:
p.s if anyone can pick me up one of the Zelda limited editions I'd would be eternally grateful and would pay them an extra 10 quid if they could PM me if one of you guys can :'(

Ditto! I have a special edition ocarina of time signed by Miyamoto and I one day dream of being able to have this signed by him also. I BEG of anyone who goes and can get hold of an extra copy!

Mama Smurf

Wes said:
Don't risk it smurf. Go there now!

I would, but:

1) Would have to get a taxi, as I don't think any buses go to it. Not a big deal I suppose, but I don't know how much it'd cost.

2) The Amazon order might still make it through, but I wouldn't know if I went to Asda now and I definitely can't afford TWO Wiis.

3) Still don't actually have the money in my account with Zelda already shipping, I'd have to take someone willing to pay and get the vast majority of the money back straight away.

etc.

If my Amazon order gets cancelled, I'll just go as soon as someone can give me a lift and is willing to pay up front for me. That'll probably be after 6 and if it's too late, it's too late. Mayeb I can sue my bank for not letting me access my account last night....I'm sure there must be some mental distress in here somewhere....

btw how are those Amazon orders doing guys?

Top Bottom