• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii - European launch

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii is launching in just 2 weeks in Europe.

In France, there is now zero chance to get the console on launch day for people who have not preordered. I preordered mine a week ago and it was already too late. I was said I would have it before Christmas. It seems Nintendo is facing a big supply issue.

Yet the Wii TV campaign started in fanfare this week, with a 10s Zelda ad, and 2 wiimote ads (same as the ones released in Japan):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMgWOcDAY_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYUrYXMnckM

So basically Nintendo is raising a huge interest on the Wii, but they won't be able to deliver enough consoles to cover Christmas' demand.

Do other European countries face the same issue?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
We are getting around 100 consoles on 8th. Yeah, for whole country (Slovenia). But we are PC land (or better said arrr arrrr land), and we will be able to get Wii with ease.

Aurora

Virtually impossible to get one in the UK, not for launch anyway.

I preordered mine rather late but I believe it's guaranteed to come within 2 days of launch, i.e before the 10th.

tiong_fi

The situation in Finland seems to be that all the specialized gaming stores are getting a minimal amount of consoles and all are already preordered. Most of the consoles go to supermarkets and electronics shops where they'll sit in shelves for weeks.

The situation was the exact same last year with the Xbox 360. I got my 360 from a supermarket, reserved it just a few days before launch.

I don't have a preorder but I've been told by the local GAME (UK) that they'll have enough to fill their pre-orders and have a few over on launch day. So I'm getting there nice n' early.

It'll be interesting to see if ASDA and stuff get these in. They're 24 hours but I'm not sure if the entertainment section is open that late.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Wii: jouez comme vous bougez

A slogan that sounds much better in french than in any other language

I don't know how the situation in Belgium is, all I need to know is that I got mine pre-ordered.

scaffa

I'm glad I don't have to go thru all the trouble after reading all the posts here. I pre-orderd my Wii ages ago and got on the list as #1. So far everything has been taken care, games, controllers you name it :) Can't wait for the launch.

The only thing that could happen now is that they wont receive component cables on day one..

Jokeropia

I preordered months ago at an EB Games (Sweden) before they knew how many units they would get. I haven't dared check up on them to see if I'll get one at launch or not...

Mrbob

With the huge demand in the USA and sales about to explode in Japan how long before the European Wii launch gets delayed until March/May 2007? ;)

Definitely a sexy fun system.

fushi

DrM said:
We are getting around 100 consoles on 8th. Yeah, for whole country (Slovenia). But we are PC land (or better said arrr arrrr land), and we will be able to get Wii with ease.
Similar numbers for Estonia, probably. That is, of course, if we get any consoles at all.

Germany: People go nuts and rape the Nintendo Wii Truck.

You can´t preorder the Wii anywhere

Fortunately I preorderd the Wii twice. :D

Oh and I saw two Wii-commercials in a soccer stadium.

Dilemma

A friend of mine went to preorder and they had over 50+ Wii preorders already, really unheard of in Holland afaik.

I preordered (a bit late, I admit) at Micromania, and I heard that they are, by far, the chain of stores who get the most systems in France. Hopefully, I will be able to get one the D-Day... Anyways, I will check during the next week at my local Micromania to get some informations to see what I can expect in my case.

Milpool

Got mine pre-ordered at Amazon UK. Hopefully they'll get it to me on day one, in their new FAQ it says they'll open pre-orders again if they receive any more stock before launch.

MMaRsu

Banned
Klaxon said:
Germany: People go nuts and rape the Nintendo Wii Truck.

You can´t preorder the Wii anywhere

Fortunately I preorderd the Wii twice. :D

Oh and I saw two Wii-commercials in a soccer stadium.

Yeah I preorderd two too, I might sell one to make a profit and buy myself a new 360 :).

shangius

tiong_fi said:
The situation in Finland seems to be that all the specialized gaming stores are getting a minimal amount of consoles and all are already preordered. Most of the consoles go to supermarkets and electronics shops where they'll sit in shelves for weeks.

Exactly, and AFAIK none of the supermarkets take preorders or reservations, so I'm pretty optimistic it's possible to get one on the launch day.

Amazons preorders went in something like 20 mins didnt they. Im lucky i went with game, always smart to get in early with the biggest games retailer in he uk they always get the large chunk of stock. I have a feeling if your lucky if you pop into currys of dixons you may be able to pick one up on the day. Ohhh how i pitty the ones who where posting a few months ago hows shops would be awash with stock and they would just walk in and pick one up. :lol :lol I feel like charlie with a golden ticket having my you have a wii letter from game a few weeks ago.:)

Xavien

I pre-ordered a day after pre-orders started on gameplay.co.uk. I managed to secure a launch day wii (got an email a few days ago confirming my wii will be arriving launch day), but from what I've heard, it seems its gonna be really difficult to find one if you haven't pre-ordered.

I think many people underestimated the demand from the wii in the UK. Since for the longest time, the UK has been Sonyland.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I preordered mine at Scoregames, as they take back the GC +2 games for 60€ if you buy a Wii. But I'm afraid this offer got more success than they expected... More likely, I think Nintendo just won't deliver as many units as they promised. Some should prepare to be disappointed.

marc^o^ said:
I didn't think about Supermarkets, I will go and check there indeed.

You can get consoles at Supermarkets in Europe? And 7-11s in Japan? This is why I'm not one of those patriotic American types.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
supermackem said:
Amazons preorders went in something like 20 mins didnt they.

I don't think they even lasted 5 minutes from what I could tell.

I pretty much had to go with Amazon, as it was only a few weeks ago that I was sure I could afford to get the console. Even now the Wii + Zelda is leaving me with basically nothing, so no extra wiimotes, nunchucks, classic controllers or games for a little bit.

Hopefully it'll work out better in the end and I'll be able to pick up things cheaper in the January sales. Wii Play is what I'm really after, as it's basically the wiimote plus a few quid for a game.

Haven't pre-ordered one myself yet. I have a feeling I will be able to pick one up quite handily here in Ireland. There are about 10 shops around here that should have them on launch day and thankfully I'm not living in Dublin. Of course this could come back and bite me in the ass.

Garegga

Neo Member
I pre-ordered at amazon.de I heard that people are selling their amazon-pre-orders for 350 Euros at ebay. Crazy.

maxmars

dovella said:
Italy 7 dicember

Presente!

1 x AC WII
1 x Wii Play + Extra Controller
1 x Nunchuck
2 x Classic Controller
1 x VC 2000 Punti
1 x Zelda Wiiiiiii
1 x Rayman Raving Rabbids

Other sw on launch day (it's more exciting that way.. And beside, that'll give me time to discern the better games).

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I think my preorder might be arriving before the 15th Dec, got the wii and zelda for £176. An extra wiimote, nunchuk and classic controller all for £22. Beat that.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Taker666 said:
Woolworths online still guarantee a Wii the week of release if you pre-order now. It's on their frontpage.

yep, word is that they've only got half of their preorders sold - not because that demand is low but because they've scored a big chunk of the stock

SpokkX

preordered mine in august 2006 so I have one for sure on sweden launch...

also have a PS3 on order since august 2006 so I expect that on launch as well :p

GC|Simon

I'm from Germany. I've preordered my Wii a few months ago, so I'll get one. But for the people who want now preoder a Wii I see no chance.

fr4nz

Darunia said:
Wii: jouez comme vous bougez

A slogan that sounds much better in french than in any other language

I don't know how the situation in Belgium is, all I need to know is that I got mine pre-ordered.

I've heard 4000 wii for the 8 december, 6000 more the next week, then nothing until 07.

SuomiDude

shangius said:
Exactly, and AFAIK none of the supermarkets take preorders or reservations, so I'm pretty optimistic it's possible to get one on the launch day.
One guy said that Anttila near him is getting 7 consoles, not sure which city though. Another guy said Anttila in Oulu is getting 12 consoles. Prisma in Hämeenlinna gets 16 consoles. So let's say a decent sized city has Prisma, City Market and Anttila, so it would make around 25-30 consoles in the city, not counting more specific electronic stores like Gigantti, Musta Pörssi etc. So I guess there should be enough systems for those who want it at launch.

EDIT: Oh, and I think you can actually reserve a console in those stores as well... at least someone did reserve his in Prisma.

[Nintex]

I sure hope that the store with the biggest ammount of pre-orders gets the most systems. The toystore here has 30! pre-orders already, im the 12th. I don't like this "Wii love Nintendo and WiiSports" attitude, I want to play Zelda F*ck...

Tadaima

Those ads have been going for ages in the UK.

I'm 9th in line at GameStation, so I'll probably get one on launch day.

The thing is, I've since moved to Cambridge, so my Wii is now 200+ miles from me.

OH SHI-

Top Bottom