• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii - European launch

GC|Simon said:
I'm from Germany. I've preordered my Wii a few months ago, so I'll get one. But for the people who want now preoder a Wii I see no chance.

I don´t even know stores (on- and offline) where you can still preorder. Except Karstadt, I think?!?

shangius

SuomiDude said:
One guy said that Anttila near him is getting 7 consoles, not sure which city though. Another guy said Anttila in Oulu is getting 12 consoles. Prisma in Hämeenlinna gets 16 consoles. So let's say a decent sized city has Prisma, City Market and Anttila, so it would make around 25-30 consoles in the city, not counting more specific electronic stores like Gigantti, Musta Pörssi etc. So I guess there should be enough systems for those who want it at launch.

Sounds good. I have two Citymarkets, two Prismas, Anttila, Mustapörssi, Gigantti and Pelikeskus nearby. Oh and a Toys'R'Us, but I the last I heard the Wii is really expensive there compared to everywhere else.

SuomiDude said:
EDIT: Oh, and I think you can actually reserve a console in those stores as well... at least someone did reserve his in Prisma.

Hmm, it might vary from store to store. At least one Prisma didn't take any reservations.

meppi

Preordered mine long ago and just heard my local shop is only receiving 3 systems.
This is an independant small store though, so I should be just fine.

Probably getting one a day or perhaps 2 days early.

If something should go wrong, I still have a bit of time to move onto plan B and storm one of the local toystores when they open in the morning. :lol

Reminds me of the N64 launch when Nintendo pushed out launch back 3 months and I and a buddy went to the Netherlands to hunt for one, only to be turned down.
Then on our way back home we stopped at the Bart Smith in Antwerp which were being supplied by their dutch distributor and was more or less the only chain selling N64 on launch here. :)

From what I know, Nintendo UK are doing a second shipment 3 days after launch. Holding them back for 'sold out'? I think so.

meppi

dak1dsk1 said:
and EBgames are selling RGB-Scart cables for 47 euro... SUCKS! Where can I buy cheap third-party wii cables??
Wow, they should be no more than 32.99 euros tops. And that's for the official ones.

Gav

I preordered mine in Choices. Got worried i wasn't gonna get it, so called them up last week. APPARENTLY im safe and ill get one on the 8th.

Although, i have managed to blag it as an Xmas gift, so i have this horrible feeling i wont get to play it till the 25th :(

dak1dsk1

Banned
meppi said:
Wow, they should be no more than 32.99 euros tops. And that's for the official ones.
EBgames in denmark. I guess they are the same price all over scandinavia as we share the same distributor. It's actually much cheaper importing them from GAME in the UK.

CorwinB

I saw my first Wii demo booth (featuring Wii Sports) at Toys 'R Us La Defense (near Paris) today. The demo was extremely cool (I didn't get to play), and everyone trying it had a blast. During the 10 minutes or so I watched, 3 peoples asked the guy doing the demo about preordering...

Aurora

CorwinB said:
I saw my first Wii demo booth (featuring Wii Sports) at Toys 'R Us La Defense (near Paris) today. The demo was extremely cool (I didn't get to play), and everyone trying it had a blast. During the 10 minutes or so I watched, 3 peoples asked the guy doing the demo about preordering...
Sounds good! It's unfortunate Nintendo didn't alocate many units for Euroland this holiday season - it had great potential to explode (though I'm sure it will come 2007 anyway).

Ahh, I miss France.

yilmazz

I'm pretty sure I'll get one no launch day despite I didn't preorder. Stores like Media Markt or Toys r us don't give all their units away for preorders, so I'll just check the three bigger stores near me in the morning and carry home a wii.
I never really saw people camping for a video game system here, so I guess I will be fine.

Milpool

Mama Smurf said:
supermackem said:
Amazons preorders went in something like 20 mins didnt they.

I don't think they even lasted 5 minutes from what I could tell.

A few news sites reported they sold out in seven minutes, which doesn't make sense since I ordered at 9:36 while someone I know ordered at 9:45.

I preordered mid september in gamestation in glasgow, scotland and they say Im guaranteed a wii now, despite being number 32 in the queue, and a week ago when I asked they had started taking preorders again. Doesn't seem ot be a supply problem here.

Aurora

Slightly off-topic but I literally just saw an advert for Zelda: TP. Great to see some Zelda love on UK TV!

Edit: Oh wow, just as I type this I saw another advert for Wii Sport. Never seen so much advertising support from NoE.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Aurora said:
Slightly off-topic but I literally just saw an advert for Zelda: TP. Great to see some Zelda love on UK TV!

Edit: Oh wow, just as I type this I saw another advert for Wii Sport. Never seen so much advertising support from NoE.
What channel?

SuomiDude

Aurora said:

So they started advertising Wii on TV already? At least in UK that is. Doubt they'll start the commercials in rest of the Europe just yet. Maybe a week before the launch like in US...?

In France, there is now zero chance to get the console on launch day for people who have not preordered. I preordered mine a week ago and it was already too late. I was said I would have it before Christmas. It seems Nintendo is facing a big supply issue.

At Micromania you can still preorder and get one at the launch. They have a deal with nintendo.
But after next wednesday, it's over.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Nintendo better be producing this thing at 100% capacity. There's certainly not going to be a shortage of demand any time soon.

Furoba

I heard that for the Benelux at least, there won't be any extra shipments before January 2007... So after the first launch shipments, there's about a one month gap. Really going all out to find myself one at launch (no pre-order). Could be most stores only start selling on Monday instead of Friday...

Kaeru

Banned
ToysRus in Sweden doesnt do preorders, so thats a hot tip for lining up. Dont expect too many hardcore gamers to think of that place.

Btw, how many Wii for Sweden??

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah on the Fnac website I saw component and RPG cables in their stock. Haven't seen or heard anything on S video cables though...

CoolS

Played today in Munich in a gallery next to the street, people could watch from outside and we had the most fun watching their expressions while bowling etc.

Oh preordered this weekend, they said I'll get my Wii for sure on 12/8

Klaxon said:
I don´t even know stores (on- and offline) where you can still preorder. Except Karstadt, I think?!?
Yeah. I preordered there 2 weeks ago. 15th on the list, only the console, 50€ prepayment; they have no clue about the system.
Media Markt across the street already had 160 preorders... :0

Matt_09

I have a pre order in HMV (UK) and I am currently placed 22nd in the queue. I asked an employee about my preorder today and he said I will almost certainly get one. They expect to get at the very least 50 for launch day ( same as the xbox 360 ) but they will hopefully more available.

edit:

Do we know if we are getting a VGA cable in europe? I want to play through Zelda in the best resolution, but I am not going to be disconnecting and reconnect my 360 components for the Wii... come on European VGA.

disco

I preordered at GAME, but my account is tied to my old address. I have the receipt and w.e. to state that i have put £20 down and preordered. But you all talk of a letter? what what what... i'll still get it with just the receipt, right? (UK)

Been waiting for confirmation from Comet but according to them they still dont have their Wii stock yet :\. Should I bail out and find another place? : \

Roders5

Aurora said:
Channel 4. Changed to Channel 5 and another Wii advert came up. :lol
Not too many people gonna see it on 5! I wonder if they'll switch the friday night comedy support from ds to wii.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ghost said:
**** it i'll wait till i can get a component cable.

we aren't as bad as the US. Don't forget we can also use SCART RGB which is on par with component for any interlaced stuff.

I'm torn because Wii would be my fifth component input and my switcher only has 4 inputs. and its the lowest res so SCART should be OK. But as its crappy res anyway I really should try and take advantage of prog scan wherever possible.....aaargh!

chase

I saw a Wii ad on ITV1. Lots of adults swinging the Wiimote around in white clothes and stuff. Was an ad for Wii Sports.

Has anyone got an imported system into PAL territory yet? I want to know about the VC and online stuff.

Booser

I preordered at GAME UK but they now say they cant fulfill the order because the stock is gone. I'm hoping now that the typical irish apathy towards videogames will allow me to swan into a shop before xmas and land me and wii.

Roders5

Booser said:
I preordered at GAME UK but they now say they cant fulfill the order because the stock is gone. I'm hoping now that the typical irish apathy towards videogames will allow me to swan into a shop before xmas and land me and wii.
Where abouts you live?

chase said:
I saw a Wii ad on ITV1. Lots of adults swinging the Wiimote around in white clothes and stuff. Was an ad for Wii Sports.

Has anyone got an imported system into PAL territory yet? I want to know about the VC and online stuff.

People have done it yeah. You can connect to the US store, online seems to work as if you were in America, and Wii Points need the address of your credit card, and so are hard to purchase.

CorwinB

Matt_09 said:
Do we know if we are getting a VGA cable in europe? I want to play through Zelda in the best resolution, but I am not going to be disconnecting and reconnect my 360 components for the Wii... come on European VGA.

Well, you can always get a VGA cable for your 360...

Top Bottom