• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii firmware updated to 3.0U (Clock on dash, minor channel changes)

Xavien

Just updated and i can confirm the fan is on when running Wiiconnect 24. It's very very quiet but i can hear it when my ear is pressed against the casing. I can also feel some warm air being expelled from the back.

My Wii was a replacement for one that had overheating issues.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
mclem said:
Is it possible that the fan only kicks in if it approaches a danger zone?

I just ejected a game I've had in my Wii since like 3 weeks ago, and it was much much cooler than usual. This shit is confirmed.

Unfortunately, I also confirmed my drive light doesn't work. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what does wiiconnect actually do? It doesn't seem to update any of the weather or news stuff until you go into that channel. Is it just the occasional message from friends? If so isn't it easier to just turn it off and save energy? I thought Nintendo would have used that part more, as that is unique to them.

Woa, I hope the fan is not always on. If so, the fan lifetime will decrease hugely, and it will start making strange noises much earlier than it should.

magiustra

There's also a new sound effect on the dashboard when the blue light turns on

(a sort of "a new message for you: blim blim!")

:)

Scrubking

Xavien said:
Just updated and i can confirm the fan is on when running Wiiconnect 24. It's very very quiet but i can hear it when my ear is pressed against the casing. I can also feel some warm air being expelled from the back.

My Wii was a replacement for one that had overheating issues.

You have to turn the console around and shine a flashlight on the fan. I did that and it didn't turn on. Listening to the case doesn't tell you anything.

Can more people please LOOK to see if their fan is actually on and not just think they hear it on?

magiustra

Scrubking said:
You have to turn the console around and shine a flashlight on the fan. I did that and it didn't turn on. Listening to the case doesn't tell you anything.

Can more people please LOOK to see if their fan is actually on and not just think they hear it on?

I tried the flashlight trick: my fan doesn't move at all :/

Xavien

Scrubking said:

It does, what exactly moves that you can hear when the Wii is in standby/Wiiconnect24 mode?

The only thing you could hear would be the fan.

Scrubking

Xavien said:
It does, what exactly moves that you can hear when the Wii is in standby/Wiiconnect24 mode?

The only thing you could hear would be the fan.

I thought I heard it too, but when I actually looked it wasn't moving. That's why I say to make sure. Also take note of when it is on so we can know if it only comes on at certain times (like when it gets too hot).

Xavien

Scrubking said:
I thought I heard it too, but when I actually looked it wasn't moving. That's why I say to make sure. Also take note of when it is on so we can know if it only comes on at certain times (like when it gets too hot).

Just checked again and i cant hear anything now.

Probably, like you said, it only turns on once it gets to a certain temperature.

Evlar

Banned
Anyone notice a change in the 'Settings' in the Shopping Channel? Mine now has an option to delete your 'Wii Shopping Account' from the Wii, in case you want to sell or trade the console. Is that new? I don't remember seeing it before.

Saoh

The Sphinx said:
Anyone notice a change in the 'Settings' in the Shopping Channel? Mine now has an option to delete your 'Wii Shopping Account' from the Wii, in case you want to sell or trade the console. Is that new? I don't remember seeing it before.

it was there before.

Man, that clock is ugly.

I wish they just used a normal font and not some mock-digial look and placed it with the date. It just looks odd sitting there, all big and digitally.

swerve

SO nice that it now lights up the drive when you get a message, even if the Wii is on, or you're in a game. And that the mail icon flashes constantly and plays a sound when you are on the dashboard.

Not as nice as the eject/insert disk pulse.

Feels like we're getting closer to the original vision for WiiConnect24.

Tab0203

swerve said:
SO nice that it now lights up the drive when you get a message, even if the Wii is on, or you're in a game.
What?! Can I turn this "feature" off? I don't want the blue light to turn on in the middle of a game or bossfight.

As expected, the fan does not run when wii connect 24 is turned on. The wifi thing that gets hot inside the console doesn't sit on top of the gpu! The gpu gets much hotter during gameplay. (around 80°C) How warm/hot is the wii when you leave wii connect 24 on for a few hours? 30°C (winter), 40, 50°C (summer)?

Those graphics glitches some people are experiencing in re4 is a manufacturing mistake with 2-5% of the gpu's.

OT: I didn't know that...
wiki said:
Three countries have not officially adopted the International System of Units as their primary or sole system of measurement: Liberia, Myanmar and the United States.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system

swerve

Tab0203 said:
What?! Can I turn this "feature" off? I don't want the blue light to turn on in the middle of a game or bossfight.

Go to the settings menu and choose 'Slot Illumination' from the WiiConnect24 screen.

shuri

Banned
Holy Order Sol said:
I came in this thread expecting people being ridiculed for being excited over a clock.

I found people bitching about said clock.

Wow.
nintendo console owners

Tab0203

swerve said:
Go to the settings menu and choose 'Slot Illumination' from the WiiConnect24 screen.
I meant only during gaming. I like the light. And I don't want to turn it on before I go to bed. But it's not a big deal.

vitaflo

leroy hacker said:
By the way, you can SEE whether the fan is on if you look through the vents in the back.

Or you can just feed the pikmin. If they're hungry, fan working as intended.

Costanza

Banned
Gah, I've been downloading for 25 minutes now and it hasn't movied off around the 1/4th mark in about 15.

Is something wrong?

Tab0203

Start up time and channel switching is definitely faster. Very nice.

No two or three second black screen when you boot it up. Takes only half a second now. Going from a channel to the wii menu takes around 7 seconds. After four seconds you hear the click-reset noise with the white wii TVs. Half a second later - Wii menu. Before I'd say 10 seconds or more?

The clock looks fine. The two spaces for headlines in the News channel icon is pretty cool.

angelfly

Costanza said:
Gah, I've been downloading for 25 minutes now and it hasn't movied off around the 1/4th mark in about 15.

Is something wrong?

Did your wireless connection cut off at some point during the download?

Stitch

Gold Member
vitaflo said:
Or you can just feed the pikmin. If they're hungry, fan working as intended.

but don't feed them after midnight. that's the reason why they gave us a clock.
Costanza said:

Is something wrong?
Yeah, the update only took 2 minutes here.

I downloaded the update no problem, but I get an error code every time I try to connect to the damn Shop. I have my router on the right channel, too.

I'm getting sick of this craptastic service. WiiConnect24 is a total letdown.

-News Channel can now show 2 scrolling headlines at a time in the Wii Menu, 3 when you click on the button (supposedly this requires occasional downloading of the headlines to keep the ticker updated)

This is dumb too. Why can't this data be streamed? Why do I need to tell my Wii what time it is?

-Calendar in Message Board no longer shows "Today's Accomplishment" only days as having messages

And this is a downgrade! WTF

Squeak

Daaamn! That's one ugly clock!
First of all, why use that ugly 70s digital watch typography for a device that is clearly capable of much better? Use normal numbers in the same font as the rest of the system FFS!
"Digital" looking numbers isn't retro chick or cool in any way, they are just cheap looking and kitsch (like someone who tries to be retro cool but fails miserably).
Secondly, why so big and obtrusive?
Fix soon Nintendo!

later

AdmiralViscen said:
I downloaded the update no problem, but I get an error code every time I try to connect to the damn Shop. I have my router on the right channel, too.

I'm getting sick of this craptastic service. WiiConnect24 is a total letdown.

This is dumb too. Why can't this data be streamed? Why do I need to tell my Wii what time it is?

Try it a couple of times + do an internet connection test, it worked for me after that..

However, the news channel only shows 1 story to me.. (Europe) About some american woman that accidentally sold someone's ashes.

later said:
Try it a couple of times + do an internet connection test, it worked for me after that..

However, the news channel only shows 1 story to me.. (Europe) About some american woman that accidentally sold someone's ashes.

The update stupidly switched my default connection from 3 to 1, that was the problem. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I liked being able to instantly see how many days I played my Wii, too. And this clock is hideous.

Somnid

The fan does not run while the system is off, and it doesn't appear any cooler either (I've had mine in standby for 9 hours). You guys are imagining it. Please note the system is always cooler once you start it up because the fan starts running.

Durante

Somnid said:
The fan does not run while the system is off, and it doesn't appear any cooler either (I've had mine in standby for 9 hours). You guys are imagining it.
Same thing here. I simply turned standby-mode WC24 off again -- it's not like it adds much real value anyway.

ksamedi

Ive noticed another small change, you can now navigate in the Wii settings screen with the + and - buttons, i coulndt do that before.

After the initial update procedure I went through after purchasing my Wii, this is the first proper update I've seen. Are they usually this pointless? I mean this is going from 2.?? to 3.00, so the changes should be significant, not a damn clock and slightly easier browsing of the shopping channel.

The only option I was hoping for was the ability to move my virtual console games around on the Wii Channel Menu, so I can put my least played games on the 2nd screen. Is that possible?

Kazenone

marvelharvey said:
The only option I was hoping for was the ability to move my virtual console games around on the Wii Channel Menu, so I can put my least played games on the 2nd screen. Is that possible?

If I understand you correctly, press A + B on the channel you want to move.

marvelharvey said:
After the initial update procedure I went through after purchasing my Wii, this is the first proper update I've seen. Are they usually this pointless? I mean this is going from 2.?? to 3.00, so the changes should be significant, not a damn clock and slightly easier browsing of the shopping channel.

That's always been possible.

Top Bottom