• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii firmware updated to 3.0U (Clock on dash, minor channel changes)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
marvelharvey said:
The only option I was hoping for was the ability to move my virtual console games around on the Wii Channel Menu, so I can put my least played games on the 2nd screen. Is that possible?

hold/grab it with A+B then hover it over the "+" sign on the right of the screen to move it to page 2.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
HEY A NEW FIRMWARE UPDATE I GUESS I SHOULD FINALLY SEE WHAT I COULD DO WITH THE WII SINCE DAY 1

Akinola

Haha, i got really excited when my console's disc light was lit when I was going to work this morning!

Now they just have to add some sort of communication support and we're good to go, haha

Durante said:
Same thing here. I simply turned standby-mode WC24 off again -- it's not like it adds much real value anyway.

Mine would be off, but my battery charger is connected to my Wii via USB.

USB doesn't get powered when the Wii is off. Only when it's in Standby (or fully on, obviously)

hirokazu

Somnid said:
The fan does not run while the system is off, and it doesn't appear any cooler either (I've had mine in standby for 9 hours). You guys are imagining it. Please note the system is always cooler once you start it up because the fan starts running.

i haven't seen or heard the fan doing anything in WC24 mode, but the system is NOTICEABLY cooler right now than before the update... i felt the system just before turning it on to update the firmware and it was pretty warm. it's been on WC24 standby for 7 hours now and it's still cool.

can anyone confirm the drive light now turns on when you're in a game or channel upon receiving a message, or is this just an assumption based on some other observation? coz that was what i expected from that function initially so i hope that really is the case. another feature that should've been there at launch, finally implemented :lol

later

I turned standby internet mode off - I thought this turned off internet access while the system was in standby? (Hence the name)

However, I just started the wii and went to the news channel and it said that standby internet was off.. Am I doing something wrong here?

I want internet off when the system is not running, and on immediately after I start it.

oatmeal said:
What they NEED to do is put a clock in the home button thing that pops up when you press it during game play.
Due to stupid design decision, that can't be done; at least not retroactively. It may always LOOK like it's calling up the same menu, but apparently each game/application includes its own code/images for it rather than being a part of the system which can be updated for all titles.
RevoDS said:
Nope, my launch day Wii is quite warm right now on WiiConnect24, and I can't seem to hear or feel any fan spinning.
Same here.

Scrubking

later said:
I turned standby internet mode off - I thought this turned off internet access while the system was in standby? (Hence the name)

However, I just started the wii and went to the news channel and it said that standby internet was off.. Am I doing something wrong here?

I want internet off when the system is not running, and on immediately after I start it.

Weather and news channel require 'standby' mode to be on. Yes, I know it's stupid.

Nice update. Wish they added more channels though, another page or ten would have been nice.

Channels devoted specifically to VC games of a certain system would be nice too I guess, though I kind of like having all of the games up there at once, makes everything look uh..."busy".

I think I heard the fan while the system was turned off btw. Had to set my ear next to the system but I'm quite sure I heard something moving(pikmin?)

If that's the fan then my 360 must sound like a freight train.

I just got home, turned on the wii and there was a message from Nintendo asking me to update.

Everything went smoothly and i absolutely love the little neat feature. The clock rocks.

+1 for this cool update, can't wait till next month to see what Reggie was talking about.

thaivo

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Channels devoted specifically to VC games of a certain system would be nice too I guess, though I kind of like having all of the games up there at once, makes everything look uh..."busy".
I think it's going to come. It has to, I mean just the cluttered mess of channels is getting rather unnerving, and this will grow worse in time. BTW, I don't think I've ever purchased so many games for a system so early in its life, as I have for the Wii (VC and retail)... it's rather crazy.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
This may be a bit off-topic, but I don't know where else to put it...
Home robbed of guitars, video gear, watches, rifle

FORT MILL -- A Fort Mill resident Saturday reported that $3,850 had been stolen from his home sometime since July 30, according to a York County Sheriff's Office report.

Stolen were a Nintendo Wii gaming console and four Wii video games, a black Epiphone Les Paul electric guitar, a red Fender Telecaster electric guitar, a black Krafter acoustic guitar, an Accutron watch with a black face and a silver band, a Bulova watch with a black face and diamonds at each number, also with a silver band, a Puma 454 lever action rifle with a short barrel and wooden stock and a 26-inch flat screen television.

There was no sign of forced entry, according to the report.

Ranger X

later said:

Those channels are shitty made and everything needs to be "on" to use it.
Everyday i open my Wii, it connects, i can use Everybody Votes, Internet Channel, etc.
But Forecast and News are too damn cheap to update if i enter them, i'd have to go in the settings and put Wii24 and Stand-by at "on" wich is completely ridiculous and unrelated.
That's why i'm never using the Forecast and News anymore.

Stitch

Gold Member
later said:

Ranger X said:
Everyday i open my Wii, it connects, i can use Everybody Votes, Internet Channel, etc.
But Forecast and News are too damn cheap to update if i enter them, i'd have to go in the settings and put Wii24 and Stand-by at "on" wich is completely ridiculous and unrelated.

1. Enable WiiConnect24
2. Hold the Wii Powerbutton till the light turns red, not orange
3. ???
4. Profit!

StranGER

dannie said:
no one notice??you put disk into Wii~~the blue light is now lit !

woah , woah, downloading now!!!

if the blue light is on when the wii is on then i'm gunna be one happy mofo!!

anyone confirm this?

rkenshin

Ranger X said:

I think also messaging is affected if standby is off..

But anyways, I just leave it on and manually turn it off when I hold the power button down for a few seconds, no big deal..

Ranger X

Stitch said:
1. Enable WiiConnect24
2. Hold the Wii Powerbutton till the light turns red, not orange
3. ???
4. Profit!

I know how this works. What if i don't want to leave my Wii connection in stand by?
Everybody Votes can update automatically when i open it. The same could happen with the News and Forecast if it was well made.

Ranger X

rkenshin said:
I think also messaging is affected if standby is off..

But anyways, I just leave it on and manually turn it off when I hold the power button down for a few seconds, no big deal..

Messages also update when you connect/open your Wii. Seriously, it's only those damn 2 channels that are having a special behavior.

rkenshin

Ranger X said:
Messages also update when you connect/open your Wii. Seriously, it's only those damn 2 channels that are having a special behavior.

Hmm.. I guess you're right.. I think at one point, I turned WiiConnect24 completely off (not just standby) hence my assumption

Ranger X said:

Well, wouldn't the logical assumption be - given that Nintendo are willing & able to update everything else on startup - that there is something about the way those two channels operate that prevents the same kind of auto-update without regular "prompting"?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's less sloppy implementation or laziness & more to do with the way the Wii has to onnect to the third-party news/weather providers that prevents Nintendo from having those channels auto-update.

Ranger X said:
I know how this works. What if i don't want to leave my Wii connection in stand by?
Everybody Votes can update automatically when i open it. The same could happen with the News and Forecast if it was well made.
Doesn't red mean completely off, while orange is standby mode?

Shop Channel looks really nice. The extra search functions might help to sell some of these old games to new customers, instead of just nostalgics.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
JodyAnthony said:
so am i the only person that had their time like 75 minutes earlier than the real time?
That's how Nintendo stays ahead of the competition.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Salmonax said:
The Wii doesn't automatically adjust for Daylight Savings.

They should use WiiConnect24 as well as the information about the country your Wii is located in (which you have to set to configure the Wii and to access the online store channel) to update the clock.

is everyone's clock centered above the date? mine is way off to the right and it also says whether the time is am or pm... just wondering, since someone posted a picture of the wii menu showing the time at 16:00, and obviously without the am/pm... and it was centered. >_>

i also have wiiconnect24 enabled, but it doesn't seem to be recieving updates correctly... there are no headlines on the news channel icon, and when i try clicking on it, it says "you must access the news channel regularly for news to be displayed here". The forecast channel icon only shows the current weather condition, but when I click on it, it also displays the temperature and other details. wtf?
btw, i stupidly left my wii on a carpet for a couple weeks... if there are no signs of gpu damage yet, is there any need for me to worry?

loosus

Banned
I'm convinced that Nintendo needs to go the Windows route and collect some very info from you when you first start your Wii (and that can be changed later, of course): current date and time, time zone, if you want to sync with an Internet server (and which one, if so), the option to automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time (if applicable), country you live in, AM/PM or military time, primary language.

It already collects some of that, but it really needs to go the whole way. That's not asking the user too much.

I sent myself a couple of messages as a test. The system did NOT alert me while I was in the Internet Channel, or while I was in Red Steel. I only recieved notification by returning to the Wii Menu.

On the plus side, message delivery seems to be much swifter, and the slot illumination is accompanied by a repeating tone to let you know.

radioheadrule83 said:
I sent myself a couple of messages as a test. The system did NOT alert me while I was in the Internet Channel, or while I was in Red Steel. I only recieved notification by returning to the Wii Menu.

On the plus side, message delivery seems to be much swifter, and the slot illumination is accompanied by a repeating tone to let you know.

So where do people get these claims from? Do they just enjoy making up crap for the hell of it?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
God damn update screwed up my Wii. Before it was working perfectly fine, accepting Wii and GC discs and now I try and access anything and it freezes. I really need to send my Wii in cause this happens every time I bring it somewhere and now when I update it.

M3wThr33

Banned
Didn't play around too much yet, but YEAH, it DOES go back to the main screen a LOT faster. By about 2 or 3 seconds.

Jaded Alyx said:
So where do people get these claims from? Do they just enjoy making up crap for the hell of it?

I don't know... was it other people in this thread who said it worked?
Perhaps I'm not in the same channels / doing the same things... or maybe it treats email messages differently to messages from normal friends. It was emails that I sent to the machine, but I left it a considerable amount of time in the Internet channel and in a game -- no notification. Within 2 seconds of being back at the Wii Menu? Instant notification.

Neil

FINALLY! It made no sense as to why you couldn't move contacts in your address book around.
Also glad to see some more blue-light action.

Deku

Banned
Nice additions but still takes forever to access shop channel. There should be an option for WiiConnect24 users to have the Wii automatically download a single page containing the latest additions/news every week or so. This will allow immediately access that to see what's new.

They can let people jump through the same hoops and connect to download the software and browse the archived titles but with connect24 on, the Wii is caching and updating weather/news, there's no reason they can't set aside a few kb of memory to a Wiishop page on local memory.

is everyone's clock centered above the date? mine is way off to the right and it also says whether the time is am or pm... just wondering, since someone posted a picture of the wii menu showing the time at 16:00, and obviously without the am/pm... and it was centered. >_>

i also have wiiconnect24 enabled, but it doesn't seem to be recieving updates correctly... there are no headlines on the news channel icon, and when i try clicking on it, it says "you must access the news channel regularly for news to be displayed here". The forecast channel icon only shows the current weather condition, but when I click on it, it also displays the temperature and other details. wtf?
btw, i stupidly left my wii on a carpet for a couple weeks... if there are no signs of gpu damage yet, is there any need for me to worry?

please?
:(

Top Bottom