• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U: Full eShop Trial Nov1-Jan31 (perm. activation with $20 Fit Meter purchase)

Coketruck

I picked up a used Balance Board and copy of Wii Fit Plus a few days ago. Since I never played it on the Wii, I figured I'd check it out before my wife and I bought Fit Meters and went all in with Wii Fit U.

First impression: it's surprisingly engaging. No, the Wii Fit games aren't going to cause any great changes by themselves, but they've gotten me used to doing some kind of daily physical activity (whether it's actually Wii Fit or not) as well as thinking about what I eat. I'm interested to see what Wii Fit U will add, besides the pedometer.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'm surprised that I haven't seen the individual Fit Meters available to pre-order at any online store here in the UK yet

Exile20

I picked up a used Balance Board and copy of Wii Fit Plus a few days ago. Since I never played it on the Wii, I figured I'd check it out before my wife and I bought Fit Meters and went all in with Wii Fit U.

First impression: it's surprisingly engaging. No, the Wii Fit games aren't going to cause any great changes by themselves, but they've gotten me used to doing some kind of daily physical activity (whether it's actually Wii Fit or not) as well as thinking about what I eat. I'm interested to see what Wii Fit U will add, besides the pedometer.

I am really hoping it adds a lot but I think the activity monitor will really add to the experience cause when you sync up you can see how much to run or walk to meet your daily burnt calories.

Haines

Banned
Ive been using WiiFit most days. DOing a 30 minute routine I made with a lot of Yoga that stretches me out good. I used to only play the games but finally gave the exercises a try and It has really helped my back issues that plagued me for years.

I will buy this the second its available.

Yanikun

Banned
How do the devs know if the game works correctly? Do they play it themselves throughout the whole development cycle like they would with any other project and lose a ton of weight in the process?

Exile20

How do the devs know if the game works correctly? Do they play it themselves throughout the whole development cycle like they would with any other project and lose a ton of weight in the process?

They have nutrition and exercise consultants.

L~A

I'm surprised that I haven't seen the individual Fit Meters available to pre-order at any online store here in the UK yet

Ah, it's not just me then! I'm relieved... sort of.
I was looking for the Wii Fit Meter on Amazon, but couldn't find it at all. I was afraid it'd be a retail-only thing, and wouldn't be available online, which would really suck, as Amazon is just so much convenient (and cheaper).

Surprisingly enough, I'm quite looking forward to Wii Fit U. I'm gonna ask my brother to lend me his Wii Balance Board (he doesn't use it anymore), so I can grab Wii Fit U for just 20€ or so (depends on how much the actual Fit Meter costs).

I believe it's supposed to be released on November the 1st, right?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm surprised we got a WiiFit U Nintendo Direct, with no new footage of the mini games. What we saw of it was from last E3... which was the same footage than the previous E3.

Daknight

I started Wii Fit Plus again (I was playing it before...but the pad got damage on one of my moves to a new apartment :( ). Got a new one about a week ago and started full yesterday...man 30 minutes killed me O_O I so need to lose a lot of weight, combing this with food journal.

I wish Wii Fit U would had a food journal or allow you to log in to one from within the game. It has really open my eyes on my food intake and already adjusted some things, nothing drastic though.

Can't wait for Wii Fit U to have a community! Motivation all the way...would rock if Wii Club games would interact with Wii Fit U somehow and register that as an activity on his own.

'Hey I see you played Wii Club Tennis for 30 minutes, would you like me to register this?'. That would be really nice...weird I am most hype for a fitness game. Then again Wii Fit Plus was really good and I lost some 15 pounds using it (about 2 months) till the pad got damage :(.

D-e-f-

Banned
I started Wii Fit Plus again (I was playing it before...but the pad got damage on one of my moves to a new apartment :( ). Got a new one about a week ago and started full yesterday...man 30 minutes killed me O_O I so need to lose a lot of weight, combing this with food journal.

I wish Wii Fit U would had a food journal or allow you to log in to one from within the game. It has really open my eyes on my food intake and already adjusted some things, nothing drastic though.

Can't wait for Wii Fit U to have a community! Motivation all the way...would rock if Wii Club games would interact with Wii Fit U somehow and register that as an activity on his own.

'Hey I see you played Wii Club Tennis for 30 minutes, would you like me to register this?'. That would be really nice...weird I am most hype for a fitness game. Then again Wii Fit Plus was really good and I lost some 15 pounds using it (about 2 months) till the pad got damage :(.

"Hey, I saw you were sweating balls while playing The Wonderful 101! No more exercise required for today!" :D

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/wii_fit/0/0

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/wiifitplus/0/0

Miyamoto
Right. But I think I can say that we've come up with a model of an accessible interface. Also, towards the end of the development period, we were fortunate enough to have the cooperation of Dr Miyachi (4), though by that stage we had more or less finalized the features and development was proceeding steadily.

(4) Dr Miyachi, the Exercise Guideline Project Director of the National Institute of Health and Nutrition in Japan, acted as an adviser during the development of Wii Fit Plus. Dr Miyachi's overarching goal is "to construct the guidelines for physical exercise needed to improve the health of the nation". He conducts his own research, as well as using research gathered from around the world, in order to put together exercise guidelines for Japanese people.

R-User!

"Hey, I saw you were sweating balls while playing The Wonderful 101! No more exercise required for today!" :D

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/wii_fit/0/0

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/wiifitplus/0/0

Miyamoto
Right. But I think I can say that we've come up with a model of an accessible interface. Also, towards the end of the development period, we were fortunate enough to have the cooperation of Dr Miyachi (4), though by that stage we had more or less finalized the features and development was proceeding steadily.

(4) Dr Miyachi, the Exercise Guideline Project Director of the National Institute of Health and Nutrition in Japan, acted as an adviser during the development of Wii Fit Plus. Dr Miyachi's overarching goal is "to construct the guidelines for physical exercise needed to improve the health of the nation". He conducts his own research, as well as using research gathered from around the world, in order to put together exercise guidelines for Japanese people.

Wii Fit U transforms you into a healthy Japanese person confirmed!!! :)

hatchx

Banned
I wonder how many people are going to buy a Wii Fit U meter and try it on their original Wii's.

"hey look, a new addition to wii fit! It's called Wii Fit U meter!"

....they get home...doesn't work...they do some research....

"so I have to pay 299.99 to buy a new console for this?"

jeffers

I wonder how many people are going to buy a Wii Fit U meter and try it on their original Wii's.

"hey look, a new addition to wii fit! It's called Wii Fit U meter!"

....they get home...doesn't work...they do some research....

"so I have to pay 299.99 to buy a new console for this?"

tbh looks like it'll still work by itself, so at least theres that.

oti

Banned
So I'm selling my Nike+ Fuelband. They'll probably announce a new model in a few days, but I don't care anymore. I got myself a pulse monitor for running and the Fit Meter should be enough for my addiction to gamification.

As "flashy" as the Nike+ ecosystem is, it felt kind of soulless to me. (I'd like the option to export my Wii Fit data on the web somehow though.)

jts

...hate me...
Amazon UK now list the Fit Meters for pre-order too. Available in all 3 colours.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FJ4OMOW/
It's mentioned above, but yep. Preordered my black one last night.

Can't wait. It's pretty much my first fitness "carry around" device. Been meaning to get a Fuelband, but screw that, this one is much cheaper and does exactly what I want, plus integration with Wii Fit U and getting the software for free.

I think Nintendo nailed this one.

Anyone knows what's the mainland price though? If it's 20€, I'll cancel my Amazon pre-order :mad:

Exile20

New info:

- Fit Meter features readouts that can be scrolled through with the face buttons
- view your Mii with a Calories burned count, distance walked, elevation, temperature, and tiny graphs of changes
- even includes an altimeter
- can also detect when you're in a vehicle
- meter transfers data through the infrared port on the top of the Wii U GamePad
- GamePad gives you are a more detailed view
- set both distance and elevation goals, which are graphically related to the scales of various worldwide location
- share your stats with communities of your choice
- Puzzle Squash is a Wii Fit U mini-game that mixes the Wii Remote Plus with the Balance Board
- objective is to gain a high score
- the back wall of the court is filled with different colored blocks
- hitting those blocks with the ball will earn the player points
- the score is multiplied if the block the player hits is connected to blocks of the same color
- after blocks are hit, they vanish and more blocks, which can be seen above the playable field, fall down to fill the gaps
- hitting the ball depends on timing
- if the returning ball is far away from the on-screen character, the player must then shuffle their feet back and forth in order to run to the ball’s next location
- player is given three misses with the racket or until time runs out
- rock climbing is more geared towards coordinating movements
- uses two Wii Remote Plusses in conjunction with a Balance Board
- move your hand toward a grip and then latch onto it by pressing the B button
- make stepping motions on the Balance Board to pull yourself up
- some rocks allow both hands to grip them, but most are limited to one
- if you wait too long hanging by one hand, you risk falling off the wall
- reset the calibration by pressing down on the Control Pad

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/35671

Edit: The formated info is from a banned site.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Has a wii game ever made you use two Wii Remote Plusses? I like that, gives me hope for the WiiSports Club boxing game.

Eric C

Has a wii game ever made you use two Wii Remote Plusses? I like that, gives me hope for the WiiSports Club boxing game.

jpOLYKI.jpg
wYCiPQb.png

Not motion+, but this title let you use two regular WiiMotes for boxing, instead of just WiiMote & Nunchuck.

Haines

Banned
The $20 fit meter deal makes it so much sweeter.

So now which color to buy.

Yeah, 20 dollars is a good deal. So a lot of WiiU owners buy the new WiiFit. But low price, so Nintendo doesnt make much money.

The deal has zero effect on moving more consoles, so that doesnt help Nintendo's biggest problem.

Im curious as to why Nintendo is basically giving this game away for a month. Maybe hoping for word of mouth I guess.

Exile20

Yeah, 20 dollars is a good deal. So a lot of WiiU owners buy the new WiiFit. But low price, so Nintendo doesnt make much money.

The deal has zero effect on moving more consoles, so that doesnt help Nintendo's biggest problem.

Im curious as to why Nintendo is basically giving this game away for a month. Maybe hoping for word of mouth I guess.

I think it is a combination of treating current customers good and word of mouth.

There is still a retail version bundles out in stores. Most casuals don't download DD anyway. I think. Could be wrong.

It helps for word of mouth, for those that are completely new to Wii Fit, might make them take the bite on the console and the Board bundle.

You underestimate how much money people throw at Fitness, Weight loss programs.

Just hope they market the differences between this and the old Wii Fit. Biggest ones being the Fit Meter and the social integration (Miiverse Gym Clubs)

Vandole

It helps for word of mouth, for those that are completely new to Wii Fit, might make them take the bite on the console and the Board bundle.

You underestimate how much money people throw at Fitness, Weight loss programs.

I just wanted to throw something in here to emphasize this. The Insanity Workout DVD set has been wildly successful and goes for between $120 and $250 depending on what bundle you buy. If an exercise system gets good word of mouth people definitely throw down.

Exile20

I just wanted to throw something in here to emphasize this. The Insanity Workout DVD set has been wildly successful and goes for between $120 and $250 depending on what bundle you buy. If an exercise system gets good word of mouth people definitely throw down.

Well that is all up to Nintendo for the marketing. I can't believe how low key it is.

Darryl

Banned

i don't know why you would think this would have zero effect on moving consoles. it's a major release - a multi billion dollar IP. this is going to be advertised and this deal is probably going to be in the center of it. nintendo has hesitated on reaching out to older audiences. i expect them to finally break down and go for them now that the value is there.

Shaanyboi

Banned
i'm picking up my WiiFit board from my mom's house this weekend. Gonna bring it back and see if I can get back into a WiiFit routine

jts

...hate me...

How is that effect zero? It's an incredibly nice incentive to upgrade from the Wii to the Wii U for those who own and care about Wii Fit.

Haines

Banned
How is that effect zero? It's an incredibly nice incentive to upgrade from the Wii to the Wii U for those who own and care about Wii Fit.

The deal is only for WiiU owners.

So, if Mr 30 year old Bob wants a new fitness regime, he will have zero idea he can get WIiFitU for free* if he buys a WiiU during the certain month its free.

NewGame

Banned
Okay, who is making the OT?

I already have a balance board, I'm getting the demo and then the pedometer asap. I'm going to try to loose 20kgs with WiiFitU because WiiFit/Plus was great but lacking in variety or speed in regards to starting up- but I think with the WiiU it will be far easier to jump in and start playing.

Also who's going to make/manage the WiiFitU community that they talked about? Is it just a Miiverese thing because it looked way more indepth and they even talked about it having communication abilities as they mentioned that 'It might be better to play with your friends so that you can talk about personal body issues in private'

Does this mean there's like, voice chat or something? Please Nintendo pleeeeease.

oti

Banned
Okay, who is making the OT?

I already have a balance board, I'm getting the demo and then the pedometer asap. I'm going to try to loose 20kgs with WiiFitU because WiiFit/Plus was great but lacking in variety or speed in regards to starting up- but I think with the WiiU it will be far easier to jump in and start playing.

Also who's going to make/manage the WiiFitU community that they talked about? Is it just a Miiverese thing because it looked way more indepth and they even talked about it having communication abilities as they mentioned that 'It might be better to play with your friends so that you can talk about personal body issues in private
'
Does this mean there's like, voice chat or something? Please Nintendo pleeeeease.

I'd guess it's just a Miiverse Community but invitation/friends only.

Glass Joe

So, if Mr 30 year old Bob wants a new fitness regime, he will have zero idea he can get WIiFitU for free* if he buys a WiiU during the certain month its free.

The deal is targeted to the 42 million Wii balance board owners, trying to attract them to the Wii U platform. It is a nice incentive, getting a free fitness game for buying a quite robust $20 pedometer. Of course, communication is key, so getting the word out effectively will be paramount. But to assume that each and every Mr. 30 Year Old Bob will have zero idea automatically assumes that there will be no advertising, shelf space, or word of mouth.

This delay was good planning, since it was originally due in summer. It is right in time for the winter months when active people will be looking for ways to exercise, as well as everyone's New Year's Resolutions to drop weight. Certainly, the fad has probably faded like Nintendogs or Brain Age, but it can still find it's audience and be a successful product.

On a different topic, they *should* try a calorie tracker for Wii Sports Club too and let the software communicate with each other. I wonder if they've considered that?

jts

...hate me...

That's what advertising is for.

Top Bottom