• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

Robin64

So what is this Fit Meter?
Is it simply a pedometer?

Watch the Nintendo Direct for some details, but...

The 3-axis accelerometer device designed to be attached at the hip and will measure activity and calculate steps and exercise intensity. It also includes a pressure sensor, which can measure changes in altitude and calculates activities like climbing up and down stairs.

Other metrics shown by the Fit Meter include calories burned, target calories, elevation from home, time, temperature, METs graph, an elevation graph, and one month of calories burned in graph form.

The data can be transferred from the Fit Meter to the Wii U via the IR port on the GamePad. Through the Wii Fit U software the data can then be explored with greater detail.

Is it possible to get the black one first and then switch over to another color?

I really want this but would rather get red and white.

CDX

Damn. My problem now is the balance board :/

gda0VJK.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699442

November 29th until December 1st GameStop will be selling used Balance Boards for $14.99

So if you have a Wii U and don't have a Balance Board and still wanted to take advantage of the free Wii Fit U download, this seems like a pretty good way to get a balance board cheap.

Just add the Fit Meter for $20 and your set for $35 total

So glad I found a balance board for $5 at a thrift store. Granted, I already had one, but now I have one that I can link to my wii in the basement and one that I can link to my wii u in the living room.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I assume the balance board bundle will include a white board.

May look for a second hand black board then so I can join in on this spat against fat.

RaidenZR

Damn. My problem now is the balance board :/

Balance boards are dirt cheap at gamestop, and most locations have a healthy pre-owned stock of them. Even before black friday deals you can get them for $18-19 bucks. I got a like-new one for that much this past Friday.

Overall, it makes Wii Fit U a very reasonable $40 total-package since that and the Wii Fit Meter are all you need to buy between now and Jan 31st.

jlscool

I wonder why Nintendo did not just use the NFC Sensor for the data transfer of the Wii Fit Meter instead of IR.

kubus

Oh crap this is coming soon. Still need to get a cheap balance board... Hopefully I can pick one up in a sale soon. I don't want a used one, I've seen things...

Lexxism

Just add the Fit Meter for $20 and your set for $35 total

Balance boards are dirt cheap at gamestop, and most locations have a healthy pre-owned stock of them. Even before black friday deals you can get them for $18-19 bucks. I got a like-new one for that much this past Friday.

That's in the US though. I'm in Canada and I doubt I'll find any deal like that.

kubus

What kind of things????Sexually driven ones?:p:p

Is it also being released on the same date on Europe too??
Let's just say that one would almost think Nintendo released a yellow balance board, based on what I've seen people try to trade in at the game store I worked at :p.

Robin64

Is there any information on the game itself, including the number of work out programs, exercises, etc.?

The website only says "Stay active with 77 different activities, including 19 that are all-new, many using the Wii U GamePad controller." We need the full site to launch or the game to come out, whichever is first.

Exile20

Wii Fit U

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo is giving Wii U owners the chance to get fit for free. Starting Nov. 1, Wii U owners who own a Wii Balance Board accessory and have access to a broadband Internet connection will be able to download a free trial version of Wii Fit U from the Nintendo eShop. The trial software is not an abbreviated version of the game - it's the full Wii Fit U experience. The trial will be downloadable from the Nintendo eShop between Nov. 1, 2013, and Jan. 31, 2014, and will work for 31 days from when it is first played.

Any trial participant who buys a Fit Meter accessory and syncs it to the game will be able to continue playing Wii Fit U forever - a great value for anyone looking to keep calories from Halloween and Thanksgiving at bay. The Fit Meter has many of the same features of modern activity meters, and people can purchase one at select retailers and online at a suggested retail price of $19.99.

With Wii Fit U, the workout goes wherever the user goes. People can work out at home, or take the Fit Meter with them to track steps taken, elevation changes and calories burned. One button press syncs the Fit Meter data to the in-game profile, so people get credit for their physical activity, even if they aren't at home for a traditional Wii Fit U workout. The game also lets people create custom routines of their favorite activities, review their progress and see what their friends are up to in online Gym Communities and Miiverse*. With more than 70 different activities to choose from, Wii Fit U combines fun and fitness in yoga, strength training and fitness games that get people up off the couch and moving. For the first time, dance activities are also included. Players can try eight different dance styles, including salsa, hula and hip hop.

For more information about Wii Fit U, visit http://wiifitu.nintendo.com.

The website only says "Stay active with 77 different activities, including 19 that are all-new, many using the Wii U GamePad controller." We need the full site to launch or the game to come out, whichever is first.

Thanks.

I'm hoping they include new cardio workouts that depend more on the board than the Wii Mote. IIRC, in Wii Fit Plus the jogging activities collected data based on the movement of the Wii Mote, not the board.

In preparation for this game, I bought a Balance Board from GameStop. And through some absurd discounts they had going on at the time for Power Up members, I only ended up playing $5.00! It was in great condition and it works great!

Without the discounts, the price was still only 12 dollars. So, for anyone looking for a Balance Board, I'd recommend it.

In preparation for this game, I bought a Balance Board from GameStop. And through some absurd discounts they had going on at the time for Power Up members, I only ended up playing $5.00! It was in great condition and it works great!

Without the discounts, the price was still only 12 dollars. So, for anyone looking for a Balance Board, I'd recommend it.

Jeez... over here they go for 30€ at Gamestop, which is still the best deal I've seen so far :(

VanWinkle

Wii Fit U

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo is giving Wii U owners the chance to get fit for free. Starting Nov. 1, Wii U owners who own a Wii Balance Board accessory and have access to a broadband Internet connection will be able to download a free trial version of Wii Fit U from the Nintendo eShop. The trial software is not an abbreviated version of the game - it's the full Wii Fit U experience. The trial will be downloadable from the Nintendo eShop between Nov. 1, 2013, and Jan. 31, 2014, and will work for 31 days from when it is first played.

Any trial participant who buys a Fit Meter accessory and syncs it to the game will be able to continue playing Wii Fit U forever - a great value for anyone looking to keep calories from Halloween and Thanksgiving at bay. The Fit Meter has many of the same features of modern activity meters, and people can purchase one at select retailers and online at a suggested retail price of $19.99.

With Wii Fit U, the workout goes wherever the user goes. People can work out at home, or take the Fit Meter with them to track steps taken, elevation changes and calories burned. One button press syncs the Fit Meter data to the in-game profile, so people get credit for their physical activity, even if they aren't at home for a traditional Wii Fit U workout. The game also lets people create custom routines of their favorite activities, review their progress and see what their friends are up to in online Gym Communities and Miiverse*. With more than 70 different activities to choose from, Wii Fit U combines fun and fitness in yoga, strength training and fitness games that get people up off the couch and moving. For the first time, dance activities are also included. Players can try eight different dance styles, including salsa, hula and hip hop.

For more information about Wii Fit U, visit http://wiifitu.nintendo.com.

Out of curiosity, what was the point of this post?

Tom_Cody

I've got the fitmeter pre-ordered. I can't wait to get back into this.

I'm already sort of addicted to the pedometer function in the 3DS. I will look forward to having this with me all the time and then scanning the stats periodically.

Aiustis

Does anyone know if this game would be a good purchase for someone who is already fit and healthy but just likes to exercise?

Robin64

Does anyone know if this game would be a good purchase for someone who is already fit and healthy but just likes to exercise?

In the past I might have said no, but the Fit Meter changes that and I think it will work really well for people who do other exercise already.

Somnid

Wii Fit is a pretty fun party game in its own right, for $20 it's worth having regardless of anything else.

You're not going to get washboard abs using it but what it does is provide a pretty cheap way to track your progress and keep you motivated and engaged with simple exercise. It's also good for people who like graphs and charts of their activity so that they can more visibly see their own progress.

Aiustis

Wii Fit is a pretty fun party game in its own right, for $20 it's worth having regardless of anything else.

You're not going to get washboard abs using it but what it does is provide a pretty cheap way to track your progress and keep you motivated and engaged with simple exercise. It's also good for people who like graphs and charts of their activity so that they can more visibly see their own progress.

cool cool; I think I'll get it; I do love checking my 3ds walking graph.

kitsuneyo

So let's say I'm brand new. I own NOTHING and need to buy the bundle with the game, the board, and the meter.

How much we talking about here?

Depends where you are... I got my Wii Fit Plus with official balance board off eBay UK a couple of months ago for £12. Then you just need the meter.

I'll be there day one, looking forward to getting fit with GAF. Already lost 8lb since starting Wii Fit Plus, been dieting and to the gym as well though.

On a more serious note, I hope the game doesn't keep trying to make you feel bad when general weight fluctuations mean you add an extra pound or two between days despite genuinely not eating too much and exercising properly. I fucking feel insulted every time the game suggests I'm lying about my food/drink intake when it detects even the tiniest bit of weight gain, especially when I go on to have a definite loss of weight over the week overall.

Aren't daily weigh-ins not recommended anyway precisely because of this? They should do away with that and just make you weigh in at the end of a week.
Just weigh in at the morning after waking up, that will do the trick (if you care about tracking your weight).

Depends on what you do/aim for. I am very fit and healthy and think it's great because through it I actually do a lot of stretching (yoga), which I usually don't incorporate enough into my training routine. For actual work-out it's simply not demanding enough for really fit people I'd say. Then there is the fit meter to consider like the other poster said. Will definitely use that for my running.

On second thought you could use it for secondary work-out, say get up 20mins earlier and do a quick work-out before taking a shower/breakfast.

Top Bottom