• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii? Non! - Nintendo Land |OT|

Madouu

How many prizes in total?

F zero is my worst game I think. I'll try and get a gold star on it but don't think I'll play beyond that.

I agree with F-zero being the worst, the controls just don't feel right or at least not as precise as all of the other games. I got the gold star though.

Neiteio

OK, wow, Zelda and Pikmin finally clicked. I somehow overlooked being able to switch targets with the A button in Zelda's sword mode, and being able to jump with a swipe as Pikmin's Olimar. The teamwork mechanics in multiplayer are really solid, too, like in Zelda where the swordsmen can shield to stay in place while the archer lures the bokoblins toward some bombs and blows them all up with a single shot. Lots of fun, and I can see some great speed-running/score attack potential in single-player.

I also got around to Metroid Blast, the one game I hadn't played. IT'S AWESOME. Seriously, the controls for Samus are so good it would be a shame if they weren't put to the service of a full-on third-person Metroid title. Running and gunning in all directions with full IR aiming is great, especially when you hold A to aim more freely while still running. Incredibly versatile controls. The gunship is a lot of fun, too, providing air support in the horde mode and serving as a mobile grappling point for Samus.

So awesome. Afterward, I cashed in the coins and got some new props for the plaza -- including the Great Deku Tree, the Big Moblin, Wizrobe and a Goron animatronic that spews steam! The Zelda fan in me is smiling. :)

I also got to the fifth day in Balloon Trip Breeze, and to the boss inside the pagoda in Takamaru's Ninja Castle. I nearly defeated it, breaking its arms and such, but then it's face charged up this hyper beam I couldn't seem to deflect or dodge. I wonder what I was supposed to do there...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I also got to the fifth day in Balloon Trip Breeze, and to the boss inside the pagoda in Takamaru's Ninja Castle. I nearly defeated it, breaking its arms and such, but then it's face charged up this hyper beam I couldn't seem to deflect or dodge. I wonder what I was supposed to do there...

Did you try throwing a shuriken at the statue's jaw when it was charging up?

Also, small tip, for after you beat it, spoilers just in case for more game content:
When the princess comes out, show your appreciation with a sharp object.

Vibed

How long would you guys say this game is to 100%? All those prizes and achievements all together, that is.

jacksrb

For Takamura's,
throw a ninja star in the mouth to prevent the super metroid-esque super beam.

Neiteio

Did you try throwing a shuriken at the statue's jaw when it was charging up?

Also, small tip, for after you beat it, spoilers just in case for more game content:
When the princess comes out, show your appreciation with a sharp object.
Wait, are you saying if I do the bit you put in spoiler tags, I'll unlock additional content for Takamaru's? That's great if so, because while I love ALL of the attractions in Nintendo Land, Takamaru's is definitely one of my favorites.

Kai Dracon

How long would you guys say this game is to 100%? All those prizes and achievements all together, that is.

Depends a great deal on skill as these are mostly true arcade games. But I couldn't see an average person blowing it out in less than 20 hours? Maybe more.

Kai Dracon

Wait, are you saying if I do the bit you put in spoiler tags, I'll unlock additional content for Takamaru's? That's great if so, because while I love ALL of the attractions in Nintendo Land, Takamaru's is definitely one of my favorites.

Yep, you should be very happy.

Neiteio

Donkey Kong Crash Course World Record. My mind is full of fuck after watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WGaH1L7xyzQ
What in the -- how in the -- *mind blown*

DK Crash Course, the Dark Souls of Nintendo Land, INDEED! Amazing game.

Yep, you should be very happy.
OK, now you have me salivating and eager to cast aside some of the work I was going to wrap at home today and plunge back into Takamaru's. Are we talking, like, new levels, with new settings, maybe even new enemies and bosses?

Kai Dracon

What in the -- how in the -- *mind blown*

DK Crash Course, the Dark Souls of Nintendo Land, INDEED! Amazing game.

OK, now you have me salivating and eager to cast aside some of the work I was going to wrap at home today and plunge back into Takamaru's. Are we talking, like, new levels, with new settings, maybe even new enemies and bosses?

Well, based on what I know:
Princess Monita is a fake. Attack her, and you go straight into EX mode with remixed chapters to get to the real princess at the end. In effect Takamaru's is twice as long. I just found out myself, and must go play in a short while to beat the boss.

Neiteio

Well, based on what I know:
Princess Monita is a fake. Attack her, and you go straight into EX mode with remixed chapters to get to the real princess at the end. In effect Takamaru's is twice as long. I just found out myself, and must go play in a short while to beat the boss.
That's amazing!

GAAAH THIS GAME.

Neiteio

Failed to beat the Takamaru boss again, but got the power where you draw a V and can throw thousands of stars at once. Amazing! :O

Also unlocked the Zebesian animatronic for the plaza. Love it. :)

oatmeal

Banned
He's scared people will copy his shortcuts, kind of silly.

NO!

PERSONAL REASONS

We need the Wiebe...

stevewiebe.jpg

Neiteio

Is there really an "ending" to this game?
Yep. Apparently you have to get stars on all the attractions, and then you can see the ending credits and grand finale.

I am in love with this game. I love every attraction, the main hub area and all of the details therein (the treasures you collect, the Miis you meet, etc). Probably one of the best surprises of the year.

Bog

Junior Ace
F-Zero is faaaar better if you look at the TV and ignore the Gamepad. Don't listen to the robot.

Neiteio

F-Zero is faaaar better if you look at the TV and ignore the Gamepad. Don't listen to the robot.
Actually, I felt that way about F-Zero at first, but then started focusing on the GamePad, and for the most part found myself sailing through the courses quicker. Seeing it from above helps me with the drifting.

On DK Crash Course, I play almost exclusively on the GamePad. I used to play using mainly the TV, but when I started focusing more on the GamePad, I started making more progress more quickly.

DrWong

I'm stucked on Donkey Kong Crash Course. Finished the first stage/map, now I'm on the middle of the 2nd one (the blue one where you have to go up). Did someone already completed this attraction? I read in a previous post in this thread there were at least 4 stages. If it's the case, based on the time I needed to be where I am today in this game, it means hours of fun (and gyroscopic insanity) awaiting my mii.

Madouu

I'm stucked on Donkey Kong Crash Course. Finished the first stage/map, now I'm on the middle of the 2nd one (the blue one where you have to go up). Did someone already completed this attraction? I read in a previous post in this thread there were at least 4 stages. If it's the case, based on the time I needed to be where I am today in this game, it means hours of fun (and gyroscopic insanity) awaiting my mii.

Yup 4 courses, finish each one twice (except the third one) to unlock the other one. You need to proceed to the exit in a certain amount of time after finishing the course though or else it will just go back to the game menu. I learnt it the hard way: It kicked me out of the game when I had to go to the bathroom after finishing course 3. This only happens if your cart doesn't move though I think.

I've been having even more fun with crash course lately after discovering the cart does all kind of silly stuff when it's in the air. You can literally fly over some parts of the course ... if you get the landing right.

mktrOOp

Banned
Oh boy, I think fell in love with the white land remix

And I have one question:

Do I have to finish every time the first track to play the bonus track? D:

i ended up thinking more highly of this title than i expected to. my favorite game is mario chase. i see a LOT of potential in this one. it could be fleshed out more to create a very hectic, exciting game (i'm imagining more complex maps and more power-ups beyond the star).

zelda seems like it could be a lot of fun if you play with the right group. i played it with my family and they consist of young kids and non-gamers, so it was hard to get a successful strategy going. i recognize the potential depth to the game and how key teamwork will be to achieve success.

my complaints are against the games that only use the gamepad. that's not to say that the games themselves are bad. i just think they do not do a great job of representing the system. when i played them i kept wondering "why the hell does this machine hook up to my tv if i'm not looking at it/using it?"

i suppose the argument can be made that gamepad only games are one facet of what the wii u offers, but i just don't see it that way. overall, i think nintendoland conveys the idea that nintendo isn't sure exactly what this system is. it's a collection of these cool features that do not come together in a single, cohesive idea. and maybe that's not a bad thing...i'm not sure. from my perspective, i'd much rather release a product that is conceptually-cohesive and focused, but i'm nobody and they're nintendo :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I was trying to do this tonight but the last 5 moves are a bitch. Damn that octopus... Is there any way to clear the ink or avoid it? I try tapping the octopus but it doesn't hold out for long.

The moment it is about to spray its load tap it quickly to shrink it. The smaller it is the less ink there is on the screen. Or sometimes it goes on to the side so you can still see the instructor.

Just make sure you keep an eye on the instructor and don't get too focused on the octopus.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was trying to do this tonight but the last 5 moves are a bitch. Damn that octopus... Is there any way to clear the ink or avoid it? I try tapping the octopus but it doesn't hold out for long.

Same. I can get to the final stage with perfects and a few OKs, but lose all my hearts on that level. Probably need to rope in my kids with wiimotes to scoop me up some hearts and stumble through it.

Those of you getting fast times on donkey kong - are you watching the TV to get a wider view of your surroundings (perhaps zoomed in)? The gamepad is great for precise navigation, but doing some shortcuts you can't always see where you are going to land.

Madouu

my complaints are against the games that only use the gamepad. that's not to say that the games themselves are bad. i just think they do not do a great job of representing the system. when i played them i kept wondering "why the hell does this machine hook up to my tv if i'm not looking at it/using it?"

Some of those single player games shine when you're not alone in whatever room you're playing in. The fact that you often have a different perspective than whoever's watching or aiding you on the TV pushes some nice communication around single player games that suddenly turn into cooperative ones.

I think they do a great job of representing what the system is about. What this system brings to the table in the end is simply a tool that game developers can use to serve their design philosophies.

In Nintendo Land's case, my opinion is that the design philosophy is not only to bring the kind of fun you'd have in exploring and discovering different attractions in a theme park, or as Neiteio pointed out in his excellent thread, the experience of going from one booth to another in an arcade. But also to expand on this and reach out to the people who are around the person playing. For me, one of the main objectives of Nintendo Land is to reach out to what I would call "passive" people in the house (gaming wise); much like the guy that would be silently watching you while you're playing in an arcade or parents waiting for their kids to finish up a theme park attraction, and involve them too in the gaming experience. This is done through a lot of clever little things that I've pointed out previously in this thread. The most interesting feat here is that this is achieved without the need for them to ever hold a controller.

In Zombi U's case, the philosophy is completely different. I'd argue that the unique relationship between the gamepad and the TV is used in that game to immerse the player alone in - and him alone - into the environment he is playing in. This is completely the opposite of Nintendo Land's philosophy but in both cases it works great in the right setting. (People to whom this appeals to)

Other developers will just look at it in a more simple and practical way, such as using the pad for added convenience to the player and not much else. One might argue that this will be the case for the most, but all in all, even for the few games that will be built from the ground for the Wii U, It will be very interesting to see what kind of design philosophies are going to be pushed. Nintendo Land and Zombi U are pretty nice examples of what is possible and I am hoping to see more games like these.

Those of you getting fast times on donkey kong - are you watching the TV to get a wider view of your surroundings (perhaps zoomed in)? The gamepad is great for precise navigation, but doing some shortcuts you can't always see where you are going to land.

I'm always focused on the gamepad since I know the courses pretty well now. But at first, I used to glance at the TV and quickly go back to the view on the gamepad from time to time. This was often when engaging a new part of the course for the first time. Also, my girlfriend is often around when I'm playing and since she's watching on the TV with the zoomed out view, she is responsible for me finding quite a few shortcuts by alerting me to some possible ways to gain a bit of time in particular parts of the course.

This reminds me of when sometimes a teacher would make me go to the board to try and solve a problem, way back in high school. I'd get stuck in some part of it, and then I would stop, get back a little bit to get a wider view of the black board (we had those at the time :D) and after a bit I'd know exactly what I should be doing and it often worked!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Octopus Dance will be the first game I complete. I just need one more stamp (which I'm guessing is from beating all the stages). Just a note the perfect 50 just requires you to not miss. Doesn't matter if they are perfects or OKs.

Madouu

Note that for the DK CC perfect course stamp, you have to not die during the courses but also in the transition between one course and another even if those deaths don't remove any lives.

I just finished the game without losing a life but still didn't get the stamp because I was messing up with my cart after finishing the third course :/ Silly me.

16138 is my high score so far if you guys want to compete with that!

Edit : scratch that, all you need to get the fifth stamp in DK crash course is to collect all the bananas on the 4 boards (you don't even need to get all the coins). I just got it a few seconds ago.

Effect

Time seems to fly when I'm playing this. Started playing DK Crash Course and then moved into Metroid as the ship and the to Zelda (which gets a lot harder playing the archer solo when you go for the Mastered goal). Before I knew it, it was 1:30am. Yikes. I don't like the pachinko machine though. It always feels like my time playing has gone to waste when I'm trying to get unlocks and I can't get one single circle filled and end up wasting 10 or more coins on it. I'd much rather have a list of unlocks that are worth a set amount of coins that I can pick from.

StayDead

So I got my Wii U yesterday and started playing this, this morning.

THIS GAME. OH MY GOD THE MUSIC, THE STYLE, THE GAMES <33333

I've been having so much fun already and that's just single player. So far I've only tried Twister Race, Takamaru, Zelda and Baloon Trip and I did terribly in all of them bar Zelda but I've been having such an awesome time. All that music for all the attractions just makes me smile for no apparent reason.

I knew this would be a good game when I saw it at E3. If only everyone else believed <3

TheExodu5

Banned
I was one of the people complaining non stop about the poor controls in Zelda Skyward Sword. Swipes were often misread and the game felt unresponsive. The sword controls in the Zelda mini game in Nintendo Land are sublime. Perfectly responsive, and incredibly accurate. Very surprised by this.

eternalb

The sword controls in the Zelda mini game in Nintendo Land are sublime. Perfectly responsive, and incredibly accurate. Very surprised by this.

Yup, seems Nintendo's figuring out better algorithms for their controls...or just realized the ones in Wii Sports Resort were better than SS's.

By the by, did anyone else know about the Fast Forward feature in Balloon Trip Breeze? This is the first I've heard of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVN2Xw1DjGk

Got to play this at a public LAN event last night.

Ended up playing the 3 competitive games for about 5 hours straight passing the controllers around, and one of my friends went out and bought a Wii U today.

Amazing stuff.

daakusedo

The sword controls in this game are refined compared to skyward sword?
When I played it, the only difference I noticed was the charge strike mapped to every held directions.

Had a Nintendo Land get together two nights ago and were Luigi and Mario were the previous favorite games, now its Animal Crossing.

So. Much. Fun. We played it for hours without it getting tired.

I just wish there were more maps :( DLC NOW!

dkeane

Just tried Zelda and Metroid with the Wii remote and nunchuck. I like these control methods way better than the game pad versions. So fun. Metroid rocks.

Madouu

Anybody interested in a Nintendo Land GAF Leaderboard? I've noticed that after finishing most of the games, I tend to come back to them way more if a friend posts a better score on miiverse or if I see some kind of good run on youtube, surely I'm not the only one. We could verify scores easily if needed with Miiverse too.

Just tried Zelda and Metroid with the Wii remote and nunchuck. I like these control methods way better than the game pad versions. So fun. Metroid rocks.

It does feel like Zelda and Metroid (especially Zelda) were games designed around Wiimote controls first and the GamePad versions (Archer & Ship) were added later.

Top Bottom