• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii? Non! - Nintendo Land |OT|

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah, it's strange that the only Miis that appear in the background of the minigames (like Balloon Trip) are the ones marked as favourites.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So playing as other favourite miis gives you high numbers of coins? Nice trick

Stamps, stars and trophies are per Mii though, right?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Really enjoying this as well.

I'm impressed with the graphics on this. At this point. I would be quite happy playing a full version of Zelda with these types of graphics.

Gambit

showed Nintendoland to the family over Christmas...I think I sold two consoles for Nintendo!

Everyone loved it. It's like a deeper, more sophisticated Mario Party

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got to course 4 in donkey kong crash course but ran out of time. Not content with being crazy hard, I didn't realise it had a time limit.

Also, the very start of course 3 is a bit too random IMO. You can easily lose all your lives on that section

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If somebody told me during last E3 that the most ridiculed game back then (by myself as well) would be my holiday season game by a landslide I'd have laughed. Manically.

Had a few WiiU gatherings with friends now. I'm a fuckin demon at Luigis mansion. I pioneered the use of ZL+ZR charge and body dumping strategies in my friend group. Actually had a game yesterday run the timer down while both sides were actively trying to win.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Got to course 4 in donkey kong crash course but ran out of time. Not content with being crazy hard, I didn't realise it had a time limit.

Also, the very start of course 3 is a bit too random IMO. You can easily lose all your lives on that section
I haven't reached course 4 yet, but so far every single tough spot in the game has been a matter of skill. Even those 'be brave' 360 places - I've mastered the 1st in course 2 (I don't even slow down at it), but I still lose a few lives at the 2nd one, as my timing is off.

daakusedo

Doing the first Zelda battle quest time attack and then seeing the 40s limit for master rank is shocking. I didn't know if I'll use miiverse a lot, but when I got some high score I feel obliged to tell the world.
But that's not a bad thing, it can start interesting discussions.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Animal crossing has been the hit with the family so far, with mario chase and zelda a close second. Animal crossing with five players is a lo of fun, and I had family members screaming when I caught up with them.

Madouu

Blasphemy! :D

Joke aside there's really no randomness about it, you'll start doing it perfectly after a few tries, believe me. Starting flip is about moving slowly to the edge before falling, second part is tilting the gamepad at about a 45 degrees angle continuously, if you're not steady while holding the pad you'll often crash there.

We really really reallly need more courses for this game.

tuffy

After 4 hours and 11 minutes of Nintendo Land on Christmas, Mario Chase and Zelda were the biggest hits with everybody, Metroid was more popular with the older ones, and Pikmin almost brought the youngest one to tears when Olimar's rocket took off without his guy on board. They never even got to Animal Crossing or the ghost hunt, which gives me games to try out next time everybody gets together.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm blown away by how much I like Nintendo Land. It's a fantastic game, and will keep my attention far longer than Wii Sports ever did. Had a blast playing with my roommate yesterday.

Had a few people come over to my house yesterday. We played Nintendo Land a lot (alongside Rockband 2 and Buzz on PS3 as usual) and had a blast. That Luigis Mansion game is amazingly fun, we probably played it like 50+ times. Also played the Animal Crossing game and it was great fun. We didn't quite get into Mario Chase though, only played it like 3 or 4 times.
Great game, both MP and SP actually.

BDGAME

I played Nintendo Land other day in my friends house and now I understand why Nintendo try to make this the "welcome to Wii U" game. It's so much fun, with simple games for casuals and others more complex for the average gamers. It's a true entertainment for every one.

And after play the Metroid game, I can't stop to think that the control of Samus's ship is what Factor 5 want to put in Ps3 game Lair. Is sad they can't port this game for Wii U with a good use of gamepad.

So one question, i was playing with my cousins the animal crossing minigames getting the stamps, and when we got out monita gave us a star for the gate, just like when you beat a singleplayer minigame. I thought this star was only given for beating the singleplayer or team adventure ones, and not the competitive, as there are no ending on those. I know getting all the stars gave you the game credits, so we went directly to Mario Chase to get all the stamps.
The thing is, after mi Mii (that is the main sytem one) got all the stamps and we got out, Monita gave us nothing, i looked for a guide and it says that you get the credits getting a star in all the 12 rides, but nothing to how get it in mario chase.
So my question is how do you get the gate star for Mario Chase (and luigis mansion)? because getting all the stamps gave me nothing, is it a bug or theres another way i cant find.
Thanks in advance!

Madouu

So my question is how do you get the gate star for Mario Chase (and luigis mansion)? because getting all the stamps gave me nothing, is it a bug or theres another way i cant find.
Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure all you have to do for the competitive attractions is play them a certain amount of times. Stamps on the other hand are just like achievements, I don't think the game gives you anything but you get bragging rights.

Tom_Cody

So one question, i was playing with my cousins the animal crossing minigames getting the stamps, and when we got out monita gave us a star for the gate, just like when you beat a singleplayer minigame. I thought this star was only given for beating the singleplayer or team adventure ones, and not the competitive, as there are no ending on those. I know getting all the stars gave you the game credits, so we went directly to Mario Chase to get all the stamps.
The thing is, after mi Mii (that is the main sytem one) got all the stamps and we got out, Monita gave us nothing, i looked for a guide and it says that you get the credits getting a star in all the 12 rides, but nothing to how get it in mario chase.
Thanks in advance!
The stars in those games are awarded after a certain number of playthroughs.

30 to be exact.

rbanke

I got this with my deluxe version Wii U but I'm undecided if I should open it or sell it. I wont be playing this with anyone so several of the games which the op says are mp only, i'll never play. I'm not really interested in a monkey ball style mini game collection, but cant quite make out if this is in the same vein.

zroid

Banned
I got this with my deluxe version Wii U but I'm undecided if I should open it or sell it. I wont be playing this with anyone so several of the games which the op says are mp only, i'll never play. I'm not really interested in a monkey ball style mini game collection, but cant quite make out if this is in the same vein.

It's more like an arcade game collection, rather than a mini-game collection. There are only three which demand multiple players, but they're the games you'll have the most fun with probably.

I think if you're 100% sure you'll never play this with other people, maybe selling it's not such a bad idea. But even if you can get a handful of solid local multi hours at some point in the future, your purchase may be vindicated. It's so effing glorious with 4 or 5 players.

Bear in mind it's still fun solo for awhile, you just may get bored of it quickly. Most of the games are polished and surprisingly deep.

I bought a wii-u deluxe yesterday and went through this battle in my head as well. Im in the same boat as you in terms of it only being a single player game. I didn't expect to enjoy it very much but I decided screw it and opened it. I ended up having an absolute blast with it. It actually feels like, to me, a collection of indie games that use nintendo properties. It's hard to explain... but they are weird, kinda deep, and very fun. It definitely does not feel like a mini-game collection. Each game on here with different non-nintendo art could easily fetch $10-$15 on the eshop/steam/whatever.

rbanke

I bought a wii-u deluxe yesterday and went through this battle in my head as well. Im in the same boat as you in terms of it only being a single player game. I didn't expect to enjoy it very much but I decided screw it and opened it. I ended up having an absolute blast with it. It actually feels like, to me, a collection of indie games that use nintendo properties. It's hard to explain... but they are weird, kinda deep, and very fun. It definitely does not feel like a mini-game collection. Each game on here with different non-nintendo art could easily fetch $10-$15 on the eshop/steam/whatever.

This makes it sound worth at least a try. thanks

Tom_Cody

Hmm. Monkey Ball is actually a really good parallel. Well, mainline Monkey Ball at least. The other example I frequently use is Yoshi's Touch & Go. Or Steel Diver. Great Nintendo concepts that don't really constitute full price games.

I personally love it as a single player experience (as I love those other games). It's great to just sit down and click through the different games either attempting to improve on your high score or working to make progress in the more quest based games.

I have been playing it since launch and I'm still addicted.

GimMick

I finally went around to try DK Crash Course again and I cleared the first level at last. I even beat it on my next try without losing a single life, and unlocked the second level.

Now to figure out how to get past the zone 8 in that level (and zone 4 as well, as I only did it once with pure luck). I already have an idea, it's just about getting there again. I'll try again another day. 5913 pts for now.

Madouu

Hmm. Monkey Ball is actually a really good parallel. Well, mainline Monkey Ball at least. The other example I frequently use is Yoshi's Touch & Go. Or Steel Diver. Great Nintendo concepts that don't really constitute full price games.

I personally love it as a single player experience (as I love those other games). It's great to just sit down and click through the different games either attempting to improve on your high score or working to make progress in the more quest based games.

I have been playing it since launch and I'm still addicted.

Yup this is how I play too, launch the game and play different attractions for about an hour or so trying to improve my scores. I just did one of my Nintendo Land sessions and improved two of my high scores.

The competitive games were a hit at Christmas supper as expected.

Game gets a lot of unfair hate but I'm happy with the overwhelming positivity in this thread from people that have played the game.

NFreak

So I just uploaded a video of my friends and I playing Mario Chase. Hopefully it's ok if I post it here. I think it does a good job of showing off how fun these Nintendo Land competitive games can be. I've got videos of Luigi's Ghost Mansion and Animal Crossing Sweet Day as well but I haven't uploaded them. Oh, and my friends are weird..... and the cereal boxes, don't mind them... haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A72MPBqnrTc

Mendoza

I still think Animal Crossing is my favorite multiplayer event. We were playing with 6 people by having two people contol the dogs guards. Some people preferred it, and it was a ton of fun.

Spinluck

showed Nintendoland to the family over Christmas...I think I sold two consoles for Nintendo!

Everyone loved it. It's like a deeper, more sophisticated Mario Party

For now.

Mario Party U will be godtier

So many possibilities.

And yes. This game is a hell of a local multiplayer game.

I've finally had a couple of hours with a good chunk of the games and I love the variety in the different attractions. Who said that it is actually an arcade collection and not a mini game collection is spot on. No way can these games be called mini.

I loved Yoshi's game and the Balloon Trip game. Really smart (and importantly fun) use of the two screens in conjunction with one another.

I was surprised at how accurate the bow and arrow is in Zelda. Plus the felt look of the world is adorable.

Does anyone have tips for mastering the Pikman game? I can complete the first stage no problem but I'm about 15 seconds off the Master time. I'm rushing through the stage without collecting the blobs. Is that where I'm going wrong.

nubbe

This game is damn entertaining

Metroid mini game is better than Other M and the Zelda swordplay is more responsive and entertaining than SS.
SS drive me crazy, especially the bug net :p

robot

Unlocked 2 new stages in Luigi's Ghost Mansion, anyone know if there are unlockable levels for Mario Chase or Sweet Day?

XaosWolf

Christmas as the Nintendo Ambassador of the family. =P

Mario Chase and Sweet Day are the best of the multiplayer bunch by far, and it is a real shame that there is such a lack of both stages and settings for those two games.

Mario Chase: Turn off the Star. Appears after 30 secs, 15 seconds of Invincibility and double speed, 30ish second for them to get to you at the other side of the map. That's a good chunk of the 2:30 you need to run down. =/

Still think the Mud level is too heavily in favour of the Mario. Either the bridges need to respawn, or they should take two trips before disappearing to keep everyone on their toes.

As for Sweet Day... almost perfect. REALLY want more stages and options for number of sweets and which rules. This game is my favourite of the multiplayer bunch.

Luigi's Mansion is usually over too quickly. The ghost floats above the Conveyor belts on the factory level. My Brother in Law said how ridiculously easy that level was that out whilst he was playing the Ghost. =(

But hot damn did Nintendo Land sell on the idea of the Wii U.
Definitely a franchise I can get behind. =D

Oh, and Metroid Blast?
DROPPING INSIDE OF KRAID IS FUCKING AMAZING

Unlocked 2 new stages in Luigi's Ghost Mansion, anyone know if there are unlockable levels for Mario Chase or Sweet Day?

Hot damn, really? Hadn't quite hit the Star for that one as no one was enjoying it as much.
But there doesn't seem to be more than 2 for Sweet Day and 3 for Mario Chase.

We played those at least 60 times each. =P

Tom_Cody

Yup this is how I play too, launch the game and play different attractions for about an hour or so trying to improve my scores. I just did one of my Nintendo Land sessions and improved two of my high scores.
+1 Yeah.

Oh, and Metroid Blast?
DROPPING INSIDE OF KRAID IS FUCKING AMAZING
C7Zkw.gif

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
Loving this.

Had some good Mario Chase, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing sessions with cousins over Christmas.

I'd say my top 5 mini games are:
1. Animal Crossing
2. Donkey Kong
3. Mario Chase
4. Metroid
5. Luigi

B00TE

Is there an option? I just don't bother grabbing the star when I'm playing Mario.

I never usually get a chance too, my friends would always have someone guard the star and keep an eye on me in case I managed to juke anyone on me.

It's crazy how fun this game is. The Animal Crossing game was the crowd favorite here, boxing people in with the guards was hilarious in addition to all the yelling and screaming when guards showed up to take out whoever had the most 'fruit' at the time. "CHEESE IT, IT'S THE FUZZ" or "RUN GUYS, AH'M BRINGIN' THE HEAT" followed by everyone running and dropping fruit everywhere.

Didn't have enough motion plus controllers for all of us to play Metroid or Zelda, so haven't gotten to play those much. Haven't even touched the single player offerings yet, haha.

Top Bottom