• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii? Non! - Nintendo Land |OT|

Madouu

Added, my NNID is: flicky

I've increased my score, but still not 17K
Got your invite. I updated the scores with the new ones posted on Miiverse. I almost beat your PB but I fell ~20 points short, but don't worry I'll get ya! :p

You people are insane with the scores you can get. I think too much CoD has ruined my ability for normal gaming. :p
It's just a bit of practice and knowing the shortcuts.
Join in the fun! What's your best score :p

Cosmozone

I'm slower with Nintendo Land than anybody else, but I just have to say that Donkey Kong's second parcours is great. Already posted this on Miiverse.
Upside down, somersaults
, it's just an awesome bunch of ideas.

Tehalemi

Metroid Blast, Donkey Kong's Crazy Course and the F-Zero one are haunting my dreams. :lol

D:<

My NNID: Tehalemi

I love this game. :3

Madouu

Not seen the end credits yet.

Anyway, let the DK:CC shortcut discussion commence!

17,056 points :D !

Hmm, I wish I had a capture card, uploading a video would make things easier but I found this youtube video and this guy uses the same shortcuts as me in the red course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRW9wR2VzDQ

Been able to do 43.5 seconds on the red course but that wasn't on my best complete run.

For the second course, I've only found two obvious shortcuts so far. The one at the end where you can just stay to the left side and use the L platforms to go up. And the other one I posted on Miiverse is in the big rotating platform in the middle.

3rd course and 4th course: you can reproduce most of these shortcuts.

Hope this helps, tell me if you find anything else!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
DK Crash Course

1. gingerbeardman 16,862 pts
  2. Madouu 16,844 pts
  3. blu 12,074 pts
Currently at 14,422. Man, the last obstacle on course 4 is such a troll - I lost all my remaining lives there!

Madouu

Currently at 14,422. Man, the last obstacle on course 4 is such a troll - I lost all my remaining lives there!

That feeling when you're on your best run and you get trolled by some part of the course you know you have no problem with, happened to me so many times!

Is it this part or a bit earlier in the course? (taken from board #2 so there's the little bumper to block you)

j5jFU.jpg

DK Crash Course

1. Madouu 17,056 pts
  2. gingerbeardman 16,862 pts
  3. blu 15,240 pts

Anybody else feeling good enough to stand on the GAF crash course (temporary) podium? :p

blu

That feeling when you're on your best run and you get trolled by some part of the course you know you have no problem with, happened to me so many times!

Is it this part or a bit earlier in the course? (taken from board #2 so there's the little bumper to block you)
Exactly this one, sans the bumper. I do have an idea what to do there without having to decelerate to zero in that insanely short span, though ; )

Madouu

How do you destroy fireballs that the first Takamaru boss shoots out?

You have to hit him before he shoots them out I think

Exactly this one, sans the bumper. I do have an idea what to do there without having to decelerate to zero in that insanely short span, though ; )

You can also ignore the right part, stay to the left and keep pressing/releasing L to go up

Another alternative is to keep L pressed after your first use of it, so there will be a bumper there to stop you on a right to left

blu

Another alternative is to keep L pressed after your first use of it, so there will be a bumper there to stop you on a right to left
That was my idea from two posts above. But I still took Madouu's advice as it should be faster (I can't believe I had missed that shortcut!) and my current score is 15,178 15,240.

blu

This game is a lot better than it ought to be. I'm having way too much fun.
I grew up at the arcades (I was skipping classes in high school to go play arcades) and I was very sad when the last arcade shops all closed down one after another. NL is the closest experience to me to stepping into an arcade hall that just opened doors, hosting sparkling new cabinets I've never seen before! The fact everybody in my family loves it, and I can play the games I love with my loved ones is a bonus.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Got stars for DK Crash Course last night, and Captain Falcon's Twister Race today. On my way to finishing off the star for Metroid Blast.

Fuck Pikmin and Zelda with only one player. So hard later on. >:O

Parallacs

Got stars for DK Crash Course last night, and Captain Falcon's Twister Race today. On my way to finishing off the star for Metroid Blast.

Fuck Pikmin and Zelda with only one player. So hard later on. >:O

Yeah, I'm stuck on the third Extra Zelda level. I think it might be impossible for me as just a bowman.

For Pikmin, I think I am better off just playing by myself. When I play with others, they tend to get killed by EVERYTHING.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, I'm stuck on the third Extra Zelda level. I think it might be impossible for me as just a bowman.

For Pikmin, I think I am better off just playing by myself. When I play with others, they tend to get killed by EVERYTHING.

Yeah, I haven't played multiplayer Pikmin yet, so you might be right.

Zelda wise, I'm actually stuck on the second Wizrobe fight. The fight is made harder just because of the waggle instead of a button press (I seem to miss deflections even when I'm damn sure I hit it on time). If I could get through the level with an archer alone, I could probably take out the wizrobe that way.

I do find that Zelda is far easier as the swordsman mostly, and metroid is easier as the ship mostly.

Gav

Its absurd how much ive been enjoying this since picking the console up last week.

5 player Mario Chase, Luigi & Animal Crossing were all incredible when there were enough of us at the weekend. My 5 year old brother is annoyingly good at being the Ghost on Luigi.

I have sunk so much time into most of the games, but Donkey Kong especially. Im dying to go home and play it again.

Im very impressed with the level of polish and all of the little extras in the game.

YES! Got all stamps for Metroid! Mission 28 and 30 are both a bitch to complete and then you also got the master criteria to think of. Oh well I managed in the end and discovered some pretty good tactics which I'll share if someone needs help.

In celebration I brushed off my Gamepad stylus and made a Metroid doodle.

miikraid_zpsbbad4578.jpg

Will probably make a series of Metroid bosses if I can make the time.

Edit: Btw as you can see my NNID is Shikkoinu if anyone wanna friend or follow :)

daakusedo

I played a bit of metroid and zelda until beginning of extra stages and master ranks were okay to get. Then there is pikmin, I got it on mission 1 and 3 but I'm not even sure it is possible doing solo on 2 and the first boss level, but I didn't play the latter much.
I tried mission 2 with a pikmin but the boss still take too long and the olimar cpu get screw and lose hammer fast.
So if it's always like that next, I should maybe keep this one game for the time a friend will help...

Mastering the Pikmin stages are defintely the hardest ones out of the coop attractions. Other than playing as Pikmin(and Olimar as CPU) and collecting as much nectar as possible I can't give much advice at the moment as I have only mastered a handful of the stages.

NeoRausch

i say this much... as long as you just want to go trough the stages, just play it in two player co-op. most of the times you'll get that black/rainbow -box that will grant you lvl.50 and the extened life-bar from the get go.

I dunno if that happens all the times, but on higher stages me and my wife got them often.

can't use them for master rank, though (duh!)

blu

YES! Got all stamps for Metroid! Mission 28 and 30 are both a bitch to complete and then you also got the master criteria to think of. Oh well I managed in the end and discovered some pretty good tactics which I'll share if someone needs help.

In celebration I brushed off my Gamepad stylus and made a Metroid doodle.

miikraid_zpsbbad4578.jpg

Will probably make a series of Metroid bosses if I can make the time.

Edit: Btw as you can see my NNID is Shikkoinu if anyone wanna friend or follow :)
Ace drawing! And congrats on the MB mastering! I still have to master 5 of the extended ones (the odd-numbered ones). My biggest problem so far seems to be Save the Allies 2 - mastering that one will take some cunning planning, as the darn allies are too much of a distraction, particularly given the time limit.

zroid

Banned
goddamn the second course of Captain Falcon is bruuuuutal. it's so easy to fail, and so damn frustrating to start over from the very beginning each time.

my best is still Area 8, with about 9200 points

goddamn the second course of Captain Falcon is bruuuuutal. it's so easy to fail, and so damn frustrating to start over from the very beginning each time.

Yeah. I can't do the whole level over again and again. It would drive me crazy! Usually I end up going past the last place I got to though.

In random news: I mastered every stage in Metroid Blast today. Not many stages gave me trouble beyond 10 retries. I'd say the hardest was 22 and a bit of 28 and 29.

Doing these on foot is fun. Especially 23 was easy to master this way. I hope to finish it all completely but who knows, I might lose interest! Anyway, it's a pretty fun game and I enjoy it a lot.

Madouu

I still have no idea how to hold the gamepad right for the Captain Falcon game. I just can't seem to be able to control the "blue Falcon" well enough to my liking. I've tried the way the game suggests and I also tried holding it like a steering wheel (that's how I star'd it) but the controls still feel wrong :/

Dantis

So this game overall really isn't my cup of tea, but the Animal Crossing game is ace. I really wish there was more stages though. I mean, two? That's it? The one thing which proves to me that asymmetric gaming can have unique ideas and you give it two stages?

Bah.

Still, it's great fun.

blu

No, that's just difficult. Mastering MB's mission 22 is brutal: an ice Ridley (3 forms), 6 pirates in two waves, no right to pick anything in the level (that means only 3 hearts for the entire mission, and you have to avoid touching any of the bonuses, strategically scattered in the spots where you maneuver the most). Just brilliant.

zroid

Banned
I haven't put much time into Metroid Blast yet. I played a bit with some friends before and we had such a good time that I don't feel like I should solo it.

Might have to eventually though.

My goal for the game is to get all stamps, stars and platinum trophies for the attractions. Though realistically I don't really think I'll be able to get the Master stamp for Pikmin, 'Perfect stamp' for Takamaru, 'Perfect stamp' for F-Zero, and the 'Perfect stamp' for Balloon Fight. Especially the last two seem impossible to me. Still an incredible amount of high quality gaming in this little game.

zigg

Can anyone help me with a problem with Miis/accounts here? What is up with these silhouette Miis that show up on the Mii select screen?

I had been changing my Nintendo Network Mii a few times by transferring from my 3DS, except what it seems to be doing is creating these silhouette Miis. Now, the first one I clicked within NL, I was able to overlay/overwrite my main Mii with, but I can't continue to do that, even if I go into System Settings and delete my personal save data&#8212;it won't let me push that grey silhouette over.

I don't care about my personal save data so much; I've not really been playing too much just yet (been sick...) but I'd really like to get rid of these guys. Any advice, short of deleting all Nintendo Land save data (which would almost certainly irritate my daughter...)

zigg

Just to follow up to the above post, I've tried creating dummy favorite Miis and moving the phantom data to them, and even tried making them full-up users and deleting their save data from System Settings—the data will not go away.

Which raises the question: what am I deleting when I delete the NL save data for my Mii from System Settings? It comes right back when I start the game again…

blu

Never experienced that, zigg. I'll try looking around if I can find something about that condition.

zigg

Never experienced that, zigg. I'll try looking around if I can find something about that condition.
Good luck; I can't find anything. I've become pretty convinced that you can only transfer one of those silhouetted profiles to a yet-unused Mii (be it a local user or just a favorited Mii). You can't actually dispose of it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally got chance to try out some of the mulitplayer only games this week. Of the three, I thought Mario Chase was unquestionably the worst. Probably because I was terrible at it, but it seems largely tactless and exceptionally bland. It's chasey virtualised, and that's literally it.

Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion, on the other hand, were excellent. Both make far, far better use of the dual screen play style, and require a little more tact and involvement from all players to win beyond "chase the guy running away". Hell, Animal Crossing might as well be Mario Chase, only with extra shit to do to win.

zroid

Banned
Finally got chance to try out some of the mulitplayer only games this week. Of the three, I thought Mario Chase was unquestionably the worst. Probably because I was terrible at it, but it seems largely tactless and exceptionally bland. It's chasey virtualised, and that's literally it.

Animal Crossing and Luigi's Mansion, on the other hand, were excellent. Both make far, far better use of the dual screen play style, and require a little more tact and involvement from all players to win beyond "chase the guy running away". Hell, Animal Crossing might as well be Mario Chase, only with extra shit to do to win.

Hmm, it's hard for me to accept that we could have had such enormously different experiences with Mario Chase.

It is certainly the simplest and least interesting of the three games, but just in terms of pure, riotous enthrallment, it surely took top honours among my three friends and I. Not to mention the hilarity of the replays!

I expect if the following three guidelines are followed, one would likely get the most out of it:
- The Mario should be looking at the GamePad screen the entire time (it is an extremely powerful tool!)
- at least three Toads playing, to properly enable cooperativity and cornering
- use the colours to communicate where Mario is headed, when one of the Toads eyeballs him. Eg: "YELLOW TO GREEN", "RED TO YELLOW", "BLUE TO CENTRE", etc.

Maybe you were doing all of this and still felt it uncompelling, in which case I'm at a loss!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Mario Chase can be a blast if a group really gets into it, but I do think it is very literally "babby's first 3D game". All but designed to teach people how to run around in and navigate a 3D world with as little chance to screw it up as possible.

BDGAME

Yesterday a group of friends came to my house to meet the Wii U and my actifry. We spent 4 hours playing Wii U and eating Frys without oil.

Nintendoland is, of course, the game we played most. The vs game I like most is Luigi and the cooperative game was Zelda.

After play for more than 2 hours of Nintendoland, I believe that we cover less than 25% of this game. It's really a big and good experience.

I hope that I can join my friends for another section soon.

Javier

Amazing. Simply amazing. Even when playing on my own, this game is just so much fun.

On quick impressions, I'll say Takamaru's Ninja Castle, DK's Crash Course and Pikmin Adventure are my favorites. I need to get my brother and sister to play the multiplayer-only games, so I'll get to that this weekend (I'm out of town all week, NNGGGHHHH!).

Super Bonus Points for the gorgeous presentation and the amazing Achievements/Rewards system. Dat Nintendo polish.

zigg

To kill my silhouettes at last, we wiped the save and started over. The straw the broke the camel's back was how my test-delete users were in the high score lists now... Nintendo CS got back to me just after and told me i needed to call them. Not bothering.

The lesson to learn: if you ever have a situation where you replace your user Mii, make sure that you copy over your data to the new Mii ASAP from within Nintendo Land. It's okay to edit your Mii from user settings, but e.g. transferring again from a 3DS is bad mojo. You'll never, ever be able to delete anyone from Nintendo Land, ever.

Yesterday a group of friends came to my house to meet the Wii U and my actifry. We spent 4 hours playing Wii U and eating Frys without oil.
What! What is this. I have never heard of this! This thing? Just one tablespoon of oil? http://tfalactifry.com/

Still only got around 14k for DK but that was from the only time where I actually beat all courses. I will defintely return to it once I get stumped on some of the stamps.

Madouu

Finally broke 17000 on DKCC just now. I feel on top of the world!

http://instagr.am/p/UNFsKZu6hn/

What a game!

37 hours over 49 sessions, mostly DK:CC

Gratz! I'm curious to know what sections you improved on compared to your last score.

you're still 2 points short though :p 

Still only got around 14k for DK but that was from the only time where I actually beat all courses. I will defintely return to it once I get stumped on some of the stamps.

You should try beating blu's score!

Top Bottom