• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii? Non! - Nintendo Land |OT|

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
You should try beating blu's score!
Yeah, try beating blu's score while he's not paying attention.. Wait!

*suspends mastering MB's last 4 levels and returns to DKCC*

ed: 15,793

Gratz! I'm curious to know what sections you improved on compared to your last score.
I am using new (to me) shortcuts, mainly on the blue levels. Happy to discuss details.

My score is now 17197, improved by using more shortcuts. Basically, every improvement over 16K for me has been with using more shortcuts.

zigg

I am not challenging you dudes' scores any time soon but now that I'm finally getting over the flu, I am loving Crash Course.

Madouu

GAF DKCC podium update!

1. gingerbeardman 17,197 pts
  2. Madouu 17,056 pts
  3. blu 15,793 pts

Having mastered the legendary crash course shortcuts, gingerbeardman takes the lead while blu, determined to stay on the podium, is rapidly catching up to the slacking off Madouu.

Will a new challenger appear? Only time will tell so stay tuned to the Nintendo Land
now dead in the community section
 OT!

I am using new (to me) shortcuts, mainly on the blue levels. Happy to discuss details.

My score is now 17197, improved by using more shortcuts. Basically, every improvement over 16K for me has been with using more shortcuts.

There's two main shortcuts I use in the blue levels, the one where you go outside of the rotating box and the one at the end. Is there anything else?

Yeah, try beating blu's score while he's not paying attention.. Wait!

*suspends mastering MB's last 4 levels and returns to DKCC*

ed: 15,793

16k is right around the corner :D
I hope I can get to mastering those MB levels soon too, definitely the coop attraction I enjoy the most. I've been mainly playing the competitive games with friends lately.

[...]

In other news, I have now showed the console to a lot of my gaming and non gaming friends, and Nintendo Land was of course the main game we spent time on, and everyone thus far has been in love with it.

Vibed

I think I'm probably going to get a Deluxe Wii U this Sunday, so I'll see how I like this game. I've got my cousin coming over who keeps telling me to get a Wii U (we play through every multiplayer game together), and I'll probably invite two friends as well. I have a feeling Zelda will be our favorite, that one looks really fun to me! Too bad this OT is dead...

Not entirely dead! I have spent most of my time recently on miiverse doodles instead of actually making progress in the game.

Got all Zelda stamps, and me and my gf are 3 stages into the advanced Pikmin stages.

I still need to get Platinum trophy for Balloon Trip, and I still haven't gotten to the end... such a difficult game, I think due to the controls it's the most difficult one for me.

daakusedo

Next time I play balloon trip, I'll try to break spiked blocks with the finger, if there's not some precise hitbox it should be a good idea, keeping stylus upon your character and using second hand for those blocks. I think I lost at day 8 and got platinum trophy but it doesn't feel complete, even more without having caught all the balloons.

Madouu

Next time I play balloon trip, I'll try to break spiked blocks with the finger, if there's not some precise hitbox it should be a good idea, keeping stylus upon your character and using second hand for those blocks. I think I lost at day 8 and got platinum trophy but it doesn't feel complete, even more without having caught all the balloons.

Go for the double stylus strat!

There's two main shortcuts I use in the blue levels, the one where you go outside of the rotating box and the one at the end. Is there anything else?
Instead of taking the wind up cable car near the start, just max tilt to the right and fly across the gap. Then, shortly afterwards, instead of taking the folding road, max tilt to the left and fly over almost the whole width of the screen. They're the two time savers for me so far.

I'm in a battle with a local friend, but he's not on GAF. He's currently 100 points or so ahead of my score.

Madouu

woah I canot wait to try these now, thanks for sharing! It's been a while since I've found any new useful shortcuts :/

Having somewhat to compete with is definitely what keeps me going back to this particular game more than the other ones, how I wish we had global leaderboards or at least friend list leaderboards.

edit: hahaha I just tried both of them and they are amazing! pretty cool to do too, especially the first one. You need to tilt the pad just enough to land back where you're supposed to. The penalty for missing it doesn't seem to be too big though, this is pretty awesome!

this game man ... this game ...

So here's what I aim for the individual courses and I achieve now and then:

Course #1: 44 seconds.
Course #2: 86 seconds.
Course #3: 55 seconds.

This is probably 17300 points material but I always tend to fail horribly somewhere in board #3 or #4.

blu

16k is right around the corner :D
If only I would stop ruining my fastest runs with absolutely trivial mistakes that I never do otherwise : / This game is really something re motor skills and concentration - the smallest distraction, like taking a concentration 'break' after a tense moment can bring to failures you never did even when you were a newbie.

I hope I can get to mastering those MB levels soon too, definitely the coop attraction I enjoy the most. I've been mainly playing the competitive games with friends lately.
MB is a superb single-player game as well. While the normal levels are nothing extraordinary difficulty-wise, even for mastering, the advanced levels can pose a challenge for beating. But mastering them can be an entirely different ball game, due to the wicked way the conditions get altered. For example, for mastering certain levels you have to avoid picking any item - so not only you cannot replenish your hears, but your entire mindset has to switch gears - bonus items change from helpful in the normal run, to an immediate failure if you accidentally as much as touch one during a complex maneuver. How's that for a gameplay tweak? ; )

zigg

Crash Course people.

What is the trick to getting through area 9 on the first course reliably? My success rate at any particular jump seems to be around 80%.

woah I canot wait to try these now, thanks for sharing! It's been a while since I've found any new useful shortcuts :/
Having somewhat to compete with is definitely what keeps me going back to this particular game more than the other ones, how I wish we had global leaderboards or at least friend list leaderboards.

edit: hahaha I just tried both of them and they are amazing! pretty cool to do too, especially the first one. You need to tilt the pad just enough to land back where you're supposed to. The penalty for missing it doesn't seem to be too big though, this is pretty awesome!
Happy to share more, there just has to be a better way of doing it than on a forum or in a youtube video (check some of those out for more shortcuts)

this game man ... this game ...

So here's what I aim for the individual courses and I achieve now and then:

Course #1: 44 seconds.
Course #2: 86 seconds.
Course #3: 55 seconds.

This is probably 17300 points material but I always tend to fail horribly somewhere in board #3 or #4.
I'm around those. The hardest shortcuts for me are the flip off the ledge on the red level to cut out the corkscrew. And the first flight on the blue level. I lose most of my lives on those two. The most difficult normal part is on #4 where you have to drop off the ledge on your way to the final obstacle. Argh!

What is the trick to getting through area 9 on the first course reliably? My success rate at any particular jump seems to be around 80%.
Make sure the pad is upright, and tilted ever so slightly in the direction of travel (so switching as you change direction half way through the jumps). Then it's just several quick taps of R, I like to keep a steady rhythm from jump to jump.

Javier

OK, this is weird.

People that I know don't own a Wii U, yet they are in my 3DS friend list, are showing up in my Nintendo Land Plaza walking around. Has this happened to anyone else?

EDIT: Nevermind, a friend on my Wii U list had them on his Mii Editor.

Madouu

Speaking of Area 9 the WR guy has a pretty cool shortcut there that I haven't been able to reproduce yet. Doesn't seem to save too much time though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwFPwhnMWiE

Also very very very rarely I'll be able to fly myself all the way from the mid right part of the first course (right after you get into the kind of cage/elevator) to the left part between area 7 and area 8 without crashing. Sadly, the few times I was able to do it, I always ended up crashing in some silly place I never fail at usually, probably because of this:

If only I would stop ruining my fastest runs with absolutely trivial mistakes that I never do otherwise : / This game is really something re motor skills and concentration - the smallest distraction, like taking a concentration 'break' after a tense moment can bring to failures you never did even when you were a newbie.

(...)

OK, this is weird.

People that I know don't own a Wii U, yet they are in my 3DS friend list, are showing up in my Nintendo Land Plaza walking around. Has this happened to anyone else?

This would be cool to have once Miiverse comes to the 3DS though.

edit: well I just did 17,218 points! but then I saw gingerbeardman's friend was almost at 17,300 haha. I don't know if I'll be able to beat that, it's getting harder and harder to improve on my scores and I just can't seem to pull off the times that the best guys out there are able to. (haven't broken under 40 seconds on the first board yet for example)

Instead of taking the wind up cable car near the start, just max tilt to the right and fly across the gap. Then, shortly afterwards, instead of taking the folding road, max tilt to the left and fly over almost the whole width of the screen. They're the two time savers for me so far.

You can also use this same technique right after on the upper floor with the moving L platforms by max tilting to the right once again. I want to hit myself for not thinking about this earlier when it is so obvious. 17,300 might be doable after all.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Do any of your friends scores appear on the leaderboard? I only have the scores of two Miis that are on multiplatform system.

blu

Also very very very rarely I'll be able to fly myself all the way from the mid right part of the first course (right after you get into the kind of cage/elevator) to the left part between area 7 and area 8 without crashing. Sadly, the few times I was able to do it, I always ended up crashing in some silly place I never fail at usually, probably because of this:

(...)
No kidding. DKCC is the ultimate troll-the-player game. Yesterday I found a very nice-and-easy shortcut on course 3 by accident, and naturally I was 'I'm soo using it from now on!'. I haven't been able to successfully repeat that shortcut ever since : /

Apropos, currently at 15,806 16,087.

sakipon

OK, this is weird.

Hmm. Does this mean the joke Miis I've saved in the editor could appear in some of my friend's game? I assume they'd atleast need to be marked as favorites? Still seems weird.

Vibed

Let me join the party! Got my WiiU today. I know there's no leaderboards even if I add someone here, but I want some friends!

NNID: Vibed-AK

Madouu

38.7 seconds on the red course, I never thought I could do it ... I wasn't even really trying and then it just happened. I remember when I was still struggling to make sub 80 seconds runs haha.

I'm pretty sure I won't be beating this for a long while. Makes me really respect the guy who posted that <30 seconds run on Miiverse.

Apropos, currently at 16,087.

NICE!

Richie

Nintendo Land is a damn revelation. Comparing my actual experience with the game to the horrible unveiling at E3 2012 really shows the importance of proper marketing. Fat chance of me buying this game if it hadn't been a pack-in, and now it's by far my most played game on the system.

An evening playing the Animal Crossing attraction with my siblings resulted in one of the very few times I've literally rolled on the floor laughing. Shame that it's only got two stages, but we're too entertained to care.

Mario's game is pretty fun but doesn't reach the heights of either AC or Luigi's attractions; after playing the former, it can't help but feeling a bit barebones in comparison. Still a hoot with the right company.

Speaking of Luigi, the suspense makes for a great experience. People freak out whenever their controls rumble, thinking you're right behind them when in fact you're behind a wall. Delightful trollin'. On an aside note, does anyone else think the very last stage on Luigi's game is too unbalanced on the ghostbusters' favor? All the Monitas not only flashing their lights in spiral, but turning red when the ghost is close, AND the thunder that illuminates the entire room?

Then beating Zelda's levels with my cousin, aaah, the challenge, not being satisfied until we finished all of the regular levels in one sitting.

DK's game is deceptively hard, didn't look like much from the videos, but when actually playing it? I have yet to finish the first board! Still, with every try I get that much closer to victory, the addiction sets in, and I can't help but keep on going one more time...In fact, most of the single player games are drugtastic, I get killed by the same bomb on Captain Falcon's attraction but can't help trying once more...

Nintendo can release DLC for this game whenever they want, they have my purchases guaranteed.

An off-topic question regarding Miiverse; any chance to check a historial of the posts you've Yeah'd? Some real gems in there I'd like to revisit.

blu

Nintendo Land is a damn revelation. Comparing my actual experience with the game to the horrible unveiling at E3 2012 really shows the importance of proper marketing. Fat chance of me buying this game if it hadn't been a pack-in, and now it's by far my most played game on the system.

An evening playing the Animal Crossing attraction with my siblings resulted in one of the very few times I've literally rolled on the floor laughing. Shame that it's only got two stages, but we're too entertained to care.

Mario's game is pretty fun but doesn't reach the heights of either AC or Luigi's attractions; after playing the former, it can't help but feeling a bit barebones in comparison. Still a hoot with the right company.

Speaking of Luigi, the suspense makes for a great experience. People freak out whenever their controls rumble, thinking you're right behind them when in fact you're behind a wall. Delightful trollin'. On an aside note, does anyone else think the very last stage on Luigi's game is too unbalanced on the ghostbusters' favor? All the Monitas not only flashing their lights in spiral, but turning red when the ghost is close, AND the thunder that illuminates the entire room?

Then beating Zelda's levels with my cousin, aaah, the challenge, not being satisfied until we finished all of the regular levels in one sitting.

DK's game is deceptively hard, didn't look like much from the videos, but when actually playing it? I have yet to finish the first board! Still, with every try I get that much closer to victory, the addiction sets in, and I can't help but keep on going one more time...In fact, most of the single player games are drugtastic, I get killed by the same bomb on Captain Falcon's attraction but can't help trying once more...

Nintendo can release DLC for this game whenever they want, they have my purchases guaranteed.

An off-topic question regarding Miiverse; any chance to check a historial of the posts you've Yeah'd? Some real gems in there I'd like to revisit.
Following the original poster or posting in their thread is the only way to keep track of old posts, AFAIK.

The former will give you updates from that poster, while the latter will give you notifications of further actions in that thread.

On an entirely unrelated note, mastering Kraid's Army has been a walk in the park after mastering #22 - that one still gives me cold-sweat wakeups at night.

You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait till I get under 70s on course one..

So, I just discovered you can see the reflection of the park in the prize/statue of the Bulborb's eye stalks. Even though I'm sure it's not real time, it was a hell of a detail.

Somebody, though, how do I do the very last drop in Donkey Kong Crash Course. I can get up to that point just fine, but I always tip over on that last drop.

Pikmin Lv 15 is fucking tough, too. But, man it's a fucking pretty game. Crazy to think the Wii U is rendering that twice.

Somebody, though, how do I do the very last drop in Donkey Kong Crash Course. I can get up to that point just fine, but I always tip over on that last drop.
Do the switch in direction of the last drop really quickly. Or take a shortcut, by dropping off the right of the first platform tilting left slightly at just the right time to reach the flag before you hit the ground.

I'm pretty sure I won't be beating this for a long while. Makes me really respect the guy who posted that <30 seconds run on Miiverse.
Do you have details of this?

Madouu

Do you have details of this?

Sure it's "santillan" on Miiverse, a 12 year old kid :D He also has a >18000 score. If I were "TheSlaSH" I'd pick this guy for SK Gaming right away haha.

Here are his times compared to mine:

Zone --- WR ---- Me
1 ------- _ ------ 3.3 (-3.3)
2 -------7.6 ---- 5.1 (+0.8)
3 -------_ ------ _
4 -------6.6 ---- 9.9 (+4.1)
5 -------_ ------ _
6 -------0.7 ---- _ (+3.4)
7 -------2.7 ---- 3.7 (+4.4)
8 -------3.0 ---- 5.8 (+7.2)
9 -------7.0 ---- 9.6 (+9.8)
10 ------0.8 ---- 1.3 (+10.3)

So yeah it seems as though it's a case of really better vehicle control rather than shortcuts alone. I think these guys have mastered controlling the cart in the air without crashing like you can see here. That's probably how he skips the first flag too, he just flies to the right before he drops on the ground. If you keep watching the video, in zone 8 when he jumps you can see he titls the cart rapidly about 45 degrees to the left when landing and then rapidly does the same to the right to get some speed. This is still extremely hard for me to do without crashing but it seems natural for him.

Doing a more in depth comparison, I lose most of my time against him in Zones 4, 8 and 9. Zone 4 is because his execution of the whole shortcut is probably a million times better than mine. Zone 8 puzzles me but I still think it's just better execution and zone 9 is that shortcut I haven't been able to do yet.

My objective for now is to do another <40 second run while trying to better my vehicle control. I'm also trying to hit 17,300 which seems definitely possible with my current skill level in the game.

I got an AVerMedia Game Capture HD today, as I plan to record as many shortcuts for DK:CC that I can manage.

Here's my first test capture, and "all banana" run of Stage 1. Thoughts appreciated on the quality of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGKi2LiJCw0&hd=1

Seems good for the purpose you're using it for, keep them coming!

The video does seem a bit blurry though but I'm no video expert, maybe others will weigh in with more interesting input :p

I should probably grab something like this too, it would make communication a bit easier.

Yeah, the device uses component cables so it's blurry compared to HDMI. But it's a convenient device that doesn't need a PC and has a remote control so it is the only option for me. Plus, I had some Amazon vouchers that meant I only paid £35 of my own money for it.

Here's another video of a run where I get 17,092. There's a shortcut I have not seen elsewhere at 1:51, and I've annotated all shortcuts I've used (and where I attempted and failed!)

I think I'd need a lot more play, and more concentration to get my motor skills anywhere near 30 seconds for course 1!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1LCeN6c8O8&hd=1

Also, here's a 30 second loop of the music that plays when you are waiting at the to begin stage one "press A" stamp check screen.

soundcloud: donkey-kongs-crash-course-intro

Madouu

It's interesting to see how someone doing approximately the same times plays. I feel like there's some areas where you're a bit better than me and others that I tackle in a slightly more efficient way.

The shortcut in 1:51 is certainly new to me, thanks for sharing that! Other than that, here are my observations:

- Failed shortcut attempt at 0:31: I don't know what is your success rate for this one, but I have been pulling it off pretty often when I started waiting for the elevator to almost touch the red girder before tilting the pad.

- My <40 seconds run involved flying over from the elevator to Area 7 through the little gap in the middle right below the hand drawn arrow. If you can do it, it'll save you 3 seconds easy.

- Failed shortcut attempt at 0:28: Once again I don't know what your success rate is with this one. But I have found that it works better for me if I got to the stopper and then max tilt the gamepad to the right for a second then hold it back horizontally. It may be 0.5 seconds slower though.

- 1:42: You can use the same kind of shortcut as before here to fly over the screen and cross the flag to the right.

- 1:56: You can save a lot of time here if you're a bit more daring :p I rotate the box clockwise a bit and then just lean the gamepad to the left, you'll get blocked by the stopper anyway so you don't have to worry too much here. Immediately after you can start rotating anti clockwise while holding R. Just a matter of execution.

- 3:28: Here rather than flying towards the left, I suggest you drop just one level below. Then press L and use the same kind of shortcut as in board 1 to drop one level lower. Then you can get on the moving platform (the one where you rotate the right stick to move it). Move it towards the middle and stop. Make sure the cart is blocked by the left stopper and max tilt to the left to do a flip and drop below on the L girders. Sounds complicated but it's pretty easy to achieve once you know what you are doing.

That's it I think for now. I hope this helps. Watching your run has certainly helped me. Hopefully I can get some kind of capture device/card sometime soon to make things a bit easier.

I've also been trying to find some kind of shortcut in Area 8 in the blue courses but everything I've attempted so far has failed. So much time lost in that section, there's bound to be some kind of shortcut for it.

Also for other people browsing the thread, sorry if I am kind of cannibalizing it with my DKCC posts. If it bothers anyone please let me know.

blu

Great videos and discussion there, guys! Will help me shoot right to the top of the chart in no time ;p

Also for other people browsing the thread, sorry if I am kind of cannibalizing it with my DKCC posts. If it bothers anyone please let me know.
You guys are good. I intend to do the same very soon with a barrage of posts discussing MB single-player survival techniques ; )

New score for me: 17385

http://instagr.am/p/UpQpOTO6u4/

I captured the video, including a missed opportunity for a real fluke of a shortcut. Will upload soon.

But I'm happy, and ahead of my local friend again ;)

Thanks for the analysis of my video. I'll take it on board and try your suggestions.

blu

*opens fire*

As promised, here are a few tips and observations from mastering MB's advanced missions in single-player *shoutout to Metroid Killer above*. First of all a short foreword: mastering any MB mission comes at a tweak in the rules - you need to reach the mission's primary objective, and on top of that you have to satisfy the mastery condition. Keep that in mind as a few missions might give you the wrong impression that the mastery condition overrides the original objective - that is never the case.

Also, as Samus' gunship used in NintendoLand happens to be my all-time favorite gunship in the entire Metroid franchise, I do have a heavy bias toward the air assault missions. /disclaimer

MB's advanced missions are mission 21 through 30. Perhaps it's my luck, or psyche oddities, but the odd-numbered missions from the set were not much of an issue to master - I never had an issue quickly devising a winning tactics for those. The even-numbered missions, on the other hand, were something entirely different..

Mission #22 Unidentified Enemy Object
Mastering condition: don't pick up any bonus objects.

Well, as most would be well aware by now, the 'unidentified object' is Ice Ridley. Mr. Ridley features exactly 3 forms in this encounter, each one bringing in a new attack to Ridley's arsenal, which overall encompasses:
  • tail harpoon (yes, I just made up the name): fast, near-range attack, but with a somewhat prolonged hint phase (during which Ridley prepares, giving you visual clues of what is to follow).
  • ice barrage: slow, far-range freezing attack (no damage incurred, just freezing)
  • ice beam: fast, far-range freezing attack (no damage, just freezing)
  • carpet bombing: exactly what it reads
  • missile volcano: slow, far-range missile barrage, where each individual missile has limited homing abilities; missiles are destructible.
  • chasing claw: a mid-range attack during which Ridley's left/right hand detaches and chases you to an impact. Active until the damage point on the palm of the hand is destroyed.
  • ice ball: slow, far-range projectile attack; projectile is indestructible.

Form One is really trivial to get done with - circling around the level's central rocky formation will usually suffice to shoot down all damage points on the enemy. The stalactites and stalactones are usually perfect cover from the ice-beam attack, or any other of the fast attacks. Watch out not to get hit by a heart bonus, the lot of which get scattered when the form's final damage point is destroyed.

Form Two is where the true spiel starts - it introduces two flying zebesians, and along with those the necessity of robust tactics. Here's one: go underground in the cavers and take the flying zebesians one by one - they are easily lured-in by an attack, and then resurface for a one-on-one with Ridley. In this form Ridley uses the carpet bombing a lot - avoid spending much time in the cavities of the central rocky formation for risk of touching some of the bonus objects that periodically re-materialize there.

Form Three introduces four flying zebesians which can be dealt with in the same manner as their earlier siblings. It is also the 'all-out' form of Ridley where it uses all attacks from its arsenal. Avoid taking the one-on-one end-spiel to the caverns - the chasing-claw attack is very dangerous there, as your dash maneuvers are very limited in the narrow corridors. Best tactics for me has proven to be the high-altitude 'under-ceiling' maneuvering, as that way you make sure to stay away from any bonus objects which you might otherwise collide with easily while piloting in reverse, which you'll do a lot.

Ok, that about covers this mission. Just have patience as chances are you will accidentally pick up a bonus object or two before you finally manage to master this mission.

To be continued.

They really captured that feeling of Ridley being a massive asshole >:|

As I mentioned before mission 28 and 30 (and to some extent 22) were absolute terrifying to master because of the criteria. But an overall advice is that whenever the criteria isn't limiting your use of power-ups, then spam the hell out of them. I kinda made it a habbit to dodge items because of the criteria in some of the missions, only to make them overly hard.

blu

They really captured that feeling of Ridley being a massive asshole >:|
Ridley is cool. Which is fine, as long as you have where to hide from his coolness ; )

As I mentioned before mission 28 and 30 (and to some extent 22) were absolute terrifying to master because of the criteria. But an overall advice is that whenever the criteria isn't limiting your use of power-ups, then spam the hell out of them. I kinda made it a habbit to dodge items because of the criteria in some of the missions, only to make them overly hard.
Yes, power-ups (or items as the game calls them, or bonus objects as I call 'em) help a lot outside of missions 22 and 30. In the latter two power-ups are part of the problem, and in mission 22 doubly more so due to the level topology. I've ruined multiple otherwise perfectly-going runs of that mission via the accidental bonus object pickup. *shakes fist at bonus objects*

blu

Here's the run from my new DK:CC Personal Best. Check out the weirdness at 3:33 - I panicked when I could have got out of that mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mc7kH2eres&hd=1

Let me know your thoughts on the run!
Very impressive! Now I know how much I've sucked all this time ; )

On an unrelated note, here're my notes about mastering..
*opens fire*

MB Mission #24 Kraid's Army
Mastering condition: finish with a spare minute.

This one is a straight forward one - you have to see Kraid to his demise, this time while fending off some pesky flying zebesians. Just do that with a minute left and you're good. Frankly, if you're coming off mission #22, that should not be too much of a problem, and here're a few tips to make that even easier:

You need three windows of opportunity to finish off Kraid (one per 'level of elevation', ahem). Such windows open when picking up a shield (AKA 'golden helmet') bonus item, which gives you 10 sec of quality time, just you and Kraid. You still need to already have debilitated Kraid to the stage where he exposes his throat at a single shot to his sensitive nose. Only then you take your opportunity, shoot his nose, triple-missile his throat, then start working toward the next opportunity window, rinse & repeat . Also, if you're really quick you can take one of those opportunity windows right off with your flying into the arena - then Kraid takes one shot to open his mouth, which you can bake quick use of.

To be continued.

daakusedo

With all this talk, I was thinking I have to beat ridley and cryo ridley without using item, cause I wan't seeing another possibility for gold. So like during the battle, staying in the same safe place, and here with my hypothesis, made me lose a lot of time. 50% precision is a lot more doable.

Also I tried ridley+ save allies on foot, when I finally paralysed ridley, zebesian wouldn't let me finish him, so I got back to the ship, it was so much easier. I don't know how it work in multiplayer, if I go on foot and a friend use the ship, if we succeed, will we both get master rank?

I don't understand, there's no ridley in 24?

Madouu

New PB: 17,406. Your move now :D
Time for some MB mastering! I'll be following blu's guides (many thanks for that btw) very closely I feel as I still suck at it.

daakusedo

So kraid+ridley is the last thing.
I hope firing from the distance still work like in 24 and just avoiding ridley while charging then...

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I spent two hours trying to master the 'do not miss with your charged ice shot' level (the advanced one) and the defeat ridley while protecting your allies... At least I managed to finally complete the first one...

So kraid+ridley is the last thing.
I hope firing from the distance still work like in 24 and just avoiding ridley while charging then...
Yup pretty much, I got a secret tip which make it A LOT easier, but I'm keeping it for myself unless you run into a wall

Can I get more general Kraid-fighting advice? Kraid's Army is the worst.
Just replayed it to fresh up memories. Cleared it with over 2mins left in first try. Some general advice:

Fighting Kraid

Aim:
Are you standing up? No? Then stand up and play, your aiming gets a lot better when you can freely twist and turn your torso.

Charging missiles requires a lot of time so make sure every missile counts. Zoom in on the tube before firing off with every missile to make sure it's a sure hit.

Health:
Pick up items and hearts that are high up. Even if you have full health an item will act as 4 fourth hit point.

Don't go for Hearts that pop out of kraid and land on the ground. There's a lot more fire closer to the ground and the risk of getting hit is too high, thus wasting time on nothing. Only go for hearts on ground as a last resort.

Combat:
Move, move and move. Never stand still with your ship. Where's the shots from kraid are pretty random, the minions will aim for you all the time. But as long as you are on the move shots will rarely hit you.

Dash when things get too chaotic. I dash a lot and it saves me a lot of times, especially if you packed tight between enemies and lasers etc.

Whenever Kraid raises a lvl, that's your cue to pay back revenge on the minions and collect hearts and items. But while taking out Kraid's hit points, the minions shouldn't be your focus unless they are right in your face.

Before charging for missile, make sure to 'sweep' away Kraid's annoying counter missiles coming from his head. Having charged up a missile only to fire it straight into his counter missiles costs time. So wait charging until you have taken out the pair of counter missiles, every time.

Hope that helps

blu

Here are some general fighting advice:
  • outside of missions #22 and #30, there are no item pickup restrictions - spam those as much as you can!
  • if you happen to grab the shield power-up, make the best use of it towards the main goal - don't go into petty dogfights with zebesians, etc.
  • the rapid-fire power-up also gives you one free hit - sort of like a single-hit shield - use that as well.
  • polish your dash moves - those are your lifesavers in most situations involving Ridley.

Specific advice re Kraid's Army:
  • try to maximize those moments when Kraid exposes his throat - you need to score 3 missile shots at each such opportunity! That means fire the last shot that opens his mouth only when you're sure you have secured a few seconds of 'low tension' time for yourself. That means don't open Kraid's mouth when you see a burst of homing missiles getting fired - those will likely hamper you to aim well with the missile. Take out any geemers as those are sources of homing missiles.
  • try to make good use of any time you're not attacking Kraid's throat - don't just hover around when escaping from an attack, etc - use it to take out the lower-body damage points, shoot down footed zebesians, etc.

daakusedo

I was able to finish 30 in one try but didn't got master rank cause I confuse the objective with a time limit like in blu post, even if not having a clock kind of raise the doubt...
So I did what I said, firing each power buttons without taking care of that poor ridley, it was a bit tense at time cause there wasn't any hearts or items while being low health and avoiding some lasers was some shonen hero luck. For the charging shot, I fly around kraid head so it was safe. I bet killing ridley in the beginning will make not taking items easy.

Well no, is invincible...

blu

Yup pretty much, I got a secret tip which make it A LOT easier, but I'm keeping it for myself unless you run into a wall.
Hmm, I also have a trick, well, more like a proven tactics that is not immediately obvious, for that mission. Mine has to do with the last stage of the mission, AKA Tower Kraid. I'll disclose it in the final post from the tip series. But now..

*opens fire*

Mission #26 Defend your Allies 2 (what, again?!)
Mastery objective: kill the muthachiller.

Ok, this time you have 2 minutes to kill an Ice Ridley (of a single form), while keeping an eye on your damsels in distress. Remember this warning, though: do not assume killing Ridley wins you the mission - you still have to defend the allies through the end of the last minute.

Well, it's an Ice Ridely - your best buddy from mission #22 - nothing extraordinary in his repertoire. You do have a few tricks up your sleeve, though:
  • enter the arena with a splash - dash toward Ridley, while charging your missile. At a close-but-still-safe-from-the-blast distance fire in his chest, I repeat - his chest, then concentrate beam fire on his tail, and when done quickly return to the chest to finish off that point - that will net you two damage points right off the bat - the chest one, and the tail one. Two down, four to go!
  • try to always position yourself not too far from the allies, but more importantly, don't let Ridley stand between them and you - chances are he will obstruct your line of fire on a metroid in the last second of the abduction countdown, and you'll swear a lot.
  • spam the bonus objects like no tomorrow, and whenever given the shield, sit in the middle of the metroid group, pound Ridley and let him pound you (and the metroids) in return with some freezing attacks - chances are he'll hit a metroid, which then you'll kill the good old-fashioned way. Why not freeze the metroids yourself, given there's an ice missile power-up on this level? Too simple - chasing metroids takes too much time - they tend to be tough targets when they don't attack you (which they don't in this mission), and time is your most precious resource in this mission.
  • never, ever let your allies unattended - after each damage point your incur on Ridley, take a glance on the allies and save whoever needs saving, which takes us to the final and most important point..
  • when you have finally brought Ridley into whimper and you're about to blow his back damage point - stop and take a round at servicing the allies, and only then return to finish off Ridley. I've lost too many runs of this mission a second or two after killing Ridley just because I got carried away in the heat of the final blow at Ridley. Remember, the primary objective of the mission is to defend the allies - you still have to serve your two minutes of protection, Ridley or not.

To be continued.

blu

When the mission begin I focus on the hands cause they're not always open, getting them both at yellow with the chest too.
I've tried this myself and yet I still prefer taking out the tail fist (and the chest comes as a bonus in this case). Just because the tail takes me the most time to get, and that mission is a matter of time.

Top Bottom