• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was an amazing Direct: a new adorable Yoshi game, a new W101 trailer, the new gorgeous Monolith game, and we got a small glimpse at Bayonetta and Windwaker U.
I would have loved to see more Pikmin but what was shown makes up for it.

DjRoomba

Banned
I really, really hope WW includes more dungeons, better sailing mechanics, and overall better pacing. I'm psyched to see how they handle the graphics, but Majora's Mask would have been a far more exciting prospect.

I'm a bit worried about multiplayer in the new Zelda. I especially hope the game doesn't require multiple people to fully enjoy as a traditional adventure game. Besides, trying to reinvent the wheel in areas where it's not remotely necessary is more responsible for the decline of the franchise than being too similar.

The nonlinear thing sounds great, although it's bizarre it got mentioned as some sort of new innovation when that was the genesis of the franchise. C'mon now.

3DS dude

ant1532

Banned
they over delivered. who would've thought.

feelings:
yoshis land is probably going to be too easy like kirby to care about
new zelda mario and smash at e3? holy. but wheres time for metroid?

Piers

Given the easy difficulty and fabric world of Epic Yarn, seeing Yoshi Land basically take over Kirby was like "Oh, right, durrr". Tezuka doesn't like a real challenge in the main game, so I should of seen his interest on Epic Yarn a mile away. It looks too much like Little Big Planet so far though, imo.

Not sure on Wind Waker HD so far. It's nice to see them go the extra mile with effects (Shadows, bloom, etc), but it also feels like WW visuals were originally designed to compensate for the lack of that. The colours are really saturated and garish.
If they include a feature to retain the original graphics, that'd be superb.

And Monolithsoft's new game - that is totally how you introduce it. No fancy cuts, cinematic events, voice overs, ominous text; just straight up gameplay footage from the get-go to the end. While previous games have featured similar mechanics, something about the gameplay looks strikingly similar to Versus XIII.

Ballin' direct

Not sure if it is better to not announce things than just announce things and then not show anything. The Mario Kart and Mario announcements were a bit flat. Zelda was better though, at least giving away hints.

amaron11

Banned
Senator Soufflé;46793934 said:
Not sure if it is better to not announce things than just announce things and then not show anything. The Mario Kart and Mario announcements were a bit flat. Zelda was better though, at least giving away hints.

Well, there really isn't a ton of substance to standard Mario 3D and Mario Kart games, at least IMO.

MarkusRJR

I'm kind of not feeling any of those games minus X(enoblade 2) which will probably take forever to come to NA. I'm gonna be bored as fuck after Pikmin 3 comes out since nothing interesting comes out till Fall (Wind Waker HD remake). :/
Hooooly crap I was worried after like 20 minutes

but then we see YOSHI'S STORY LOOKING BEAUTIFUL, Crazy-ass colaboration of FIRE EMBLEM X SMT WHAT, ZELDA WW REMAKE IN SPRING + Next Zelda info

and then

closing off

MY DEAR SWEET XENOBLADE 2?!!? Even if it's not exactly Xenoblade 2 it's my most hype... BUT IT LOOKS LIKE XENOBLADE 2 AND OMG

There's no way E3 can beat this. No wayyyyyyy
Wind Waker is a Fall title.

0fda0e90_spongebob-wallet.jpg

My current stance... I'm beside myself with excitement and confusion, I was not expecting this... not THIS... 2 Zelda titles confirmed, confirming Mario and Smash for E3, SMT X Fire Emblem, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Miiverse app, 30 cent games, Wii U VC, YOSHIS FUCKING EPIC YARN, and Xenoblade 2 already looking better than the god damn leaked footage of FFvsXIII... WHAT THE HELL... where did that come from? Did Nintendo just wake up and want to rape me of hundreds of dollars?

pestul

It's amazing how far along the new Monolith game looks as well. Very polished.

I hope we get some high quality screens or videos from this presentation on the Wii U/online.

I still can't calm down I still can't calm down I still can't calm down

Xenoblade 2

all my hype

most hype I've ever had in my life

I WANT MORE

I'm kind of not feeling any of those games minus X(enoblade 2) which will probably take forever to come to NA. I'm gonna be bored as fuck after Pikmin 3 comes out since nothing interesting comes out till Fall (Wind Waker HD remake). :/

Wind Waker is a Fall title.

Whoopsies I meant that

I just... can't type in all this hype

I'm EXPLODING

tsab

iwata%2520new%2520games.jpg

In all seriouness, MY BODY WASN'T READY FOR THIS DIRECT.
Is like someone from nintendo is browsing neogaf.

Shenmue3, Nintendo do it

effzee

I really, really hope WW includes more dungeons, better sailing mechanics, and overall better pacing. I'm psyched to see how they handle the graphics, but Majora's Mask would have been a far more exciting prospect.

I'm a bit worried about multiplayer in the new Zelda. I especially hope the game doesn't require multiple people to fully enjoy as a traditional adventure game. Besides, trying to reinvent the wheel in areas where it's not remotely necessary is more responsible for the decline of the franchise than being too similar.

The nonlinear thing sounds great, although it's bizarre it got mentioned as some sort of new innovation when that was the genesis of the franchise. C'mon now.

Yeah worried about Zelda though I trust Nintendo.

I feel like they take criticism of Zelda way too seriously. They haven't been able to replicate the acclaim from TOOT so they think they need to re invent it each time. Well you can't do 3D over and over as something new. They will never be able to do what they did with TOOT. No way to match that experience. But arguably MM, WW, TP, and SS were better. They were all highly praised, GOTY caliber, top quality games.

Yes they all have their problems here and there but I never get the same feeling from any other games. I hope whatever changes they make are for the better but not something so radical that it ruins the Zelda formula. Oh and btw, formulaic here is not a bad thing. If we only get 1 new Zelda game every 5-6 years anyway, I rather it be Zelda the formula I love and adore.

Would have preferred MM HD (best Zelda game ever created) over WW HD but WW was an incredible entry itself so can't wait. Maybe they can do WW HD this year, new Zelda next year, and MM HD the following. Though realistically I think NEW ZELDA won't be till Fall 2015.

And which team is working on the new 3D Mario? The same from the Galaxy games?

My guess is that we get Mario Kart Wii U this fall with 3D Mario U next fall. Don't know where Smash 4 falls but would love for that to come out this year.

Still no info on Retro or any Metroid game.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

So much goodness, was so much to take in then he's like Oh YOU KNOW MONOLITH SOFT??? TAKE A LOOK BITCHES

And I lost my shit. *faints*

Serious Iwata bombs dropped, no time for fruit.

See thats not so hard is it Nintendo? Create excitement for you machine and suddenly just owning it and playing other stuff on it makes me happy because of 'known awesomeness to look forward too'.

:D

lefantome

I don't get all that excitement for a couple of japan oriented exclusives and the traditional Nintendo first party games officially announced.

Sometimes the internet audience act as wierd, abnormous hype before the launch of a product even knowing what the defects will be in the first months(and lifetime) then regret for buying it, then excitement again just for having the useless confirmation that the first party games are coming sometime in the future.

The monolithsoft game looks cool!

Tiu Neo

Back from lunch, so what did I miss, gu....

MY GOD. Is this the best Nintendo Direct ever? Wind Waker HD, Shin Megami Tensei meets Fire Emblem, new Monolith game, Wii U VC... I hope Mother 2 makes it outside Japan ;_;

Pikmin 3
Bayonetta 2
Wonderful 101
Zelda Winder Waker HD
Wii U fit

2014 -

New Mario Bros game for the Wii U
New Mario Kart Game for the Wii U
Smash Bros Wii U
Wii U party game
Xenoblade 2
Yoshi Wii U
Fire Emblem Crossover
Zelda Wii U
Monolith Soft Game

If two or more of the titles I've marked as 2014 make it out this year, I'll be very surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom