• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDrake

Surely two Nintendo Hype trains cannot deliver the goods in the same week, right? First 3DS Hype with Project X Zone announcement and now a Wii U Nintendo Direct.

someone check to make sure that nintendo hasn't created events for like every direct
They didn't create an event for Pokemon Direct

cacildo

1VWTK12.gif

So true..

TriGen

Does anyone know the last time HAL Laboratories made a game? Was it really Return to Dreamland?

I know no one likes them, but wouldn't their number be coming up around now too?

I prefered Epic Yarn, but HAL's got some skills, too.

Discomurf

Soraya Saga (Monolith Soft.) has retweeted the Nintendo Direct tweet by Nintendo:
https://twitter.com/sorayasaga

get excite.

some info....

...in September, Nintendo revealed that they’re working on a brand new Wii U game.

In a series of interviews conducted internally last year, Monolith Soft discussed their projects and aspirations. Regarding their Wii U project, they were rather tight-lipped regarding what to expect, but they did say that it will be a challenging game that will get people together, and that you can expect it to be both very flashy and addicting.

This is going to be their first jump into next gen gaming. Monolith say they thought about it for a while, but and decided that if they were going to jump into the next generation, they’d like to have the perfect team in order to do it the right way. Working alongside Nintendo will be a huge advantage, they feel, as Monolith Soft will have a better understanding of the Wii U’s capabilities, in order to produce top notch titles for the company.

Monolith Soft’s Michihiko Inaba and executive producer, Hirohide Sugiura, had a couple of quotes to share, regarding their upcoming Wii U game.

Inaba: “I’d like to make an HD game that will wow the players. I want to show that Japan can still keep up with the USA when it comes next gen technology. Our goal is to become something like the developers of the Fallout series, Bethesda Softworks.”

Sugiura: “I believe that today’s Japanese gaming industry has lost its touch, and we’d like to do something to change that.”

Source

Box

Return to Dreamland was amazing, was it HAL that did that one?

Yes, I believe they've done every Kirby game except Epic Yarn.

They're fairly good at keeping up with regular releases (RTD being a bad example), but I can't find anything that they've announced lately.

I would have expected a Kirby game for 3DS already, but I want to think it wouldn't be crazy for them to make some kind of Pokemon game for the Wii U. They did Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Snap after all.

If they don't announce something this year, then I think something has gone wrong over there.

I guess usually they'd be working on Smash Bros, but Namco is doing that now....

Yes, I believe they've done every Kirby game except Epic Yarn.

They're fairly good at keeping up with regular releases (RTD being a bad example), but I can't find anything that they've announced lately.

I would have expected a Kirby game for 3DS already, but I want to think it wouldn't be crazy for them to make some kind of Pokemon game for the Wii U. They did Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Snap after all.

If they don't announce something this year, then I think something has gone wrong over there.

I guess usually they'd be working on Smash Bros, but Namco is doing that now....

Super Smash Bros. 4 is a collaboration between HAL Laboratory and Sora Ltd. and Namco Bandai, among other developers.

Papytendo

Am I the only one confused by people posting lists of five or six titles? It's a random Nintendo Direct in January.

All said I am still hoping for the best.

Krowley

get excite.

some info....

Inaba: “I’d like to make an HD game that will wow the players. I want to show that Japan can still keep up with the USA when it comes next gen technology. Our goal is to become something like the developers of the Fallout series, Bethesda Softworks.”

Sugiura: “I believe that today’s Japanese gaming industry has lost its touch, and we’d like to do something to change that.
”

Source

The bits in particular are very exciting. This is what an ambitious developer sounds like.

Am I the only one confused by people posting lists of five or six titles? It's a random Nintendo Direct in January.

All said I am still hoping for the best.

Wii U is missing sales expectations and Nintendo is panic mode.

And new 1st-party titles are confirmed to be at the event.

Therefore, HYPE HYPE HYPE.

Box

Super Smash Bros. 4 is a collaboration between HAL Laboratory and Sora Ltd. and Namco Bandai, among other developers.

Is that right?

I believe they were most of the muscle behind Brawl but they still managed to get some DS games out while that was in development.

Cosmozone

The hype. Every time. It's amazing. You're amazing. It's what I like most about NeoGaf although I'm usually not that hyped myself.

I'd be happy enough with some Bayonetta 2 footage and more W101. What's also likely is Miiverse coming to other devices very soon. It could be a big benefit for Nintendo. And hopefully they'll have ready their OS update. Wonder if there will be any talk about that restructuring or even the new building. More info about games would be also welcome of course. Monolithsoft'd be nice if true. Or maybe Donkey Kong? Could've been worked on by Retro.

BTW: I'm far from thinking Nintendo is panicking yet. Percentage wise, Wii U sales didn't drop much more than 3DS sales.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I want a price cut and my Wii U Ambassador status.

Seriously, though, if I could have ONE announcement tomorrow:

Gamecube games on the eShop.

skypunch

Banned
get excite.

some info....

...in September, Nintendo revealed that they’re working on a brand new Wii U game.

In a series of interviews conducted internally last year, Monolith Soft discussed their projects and aspirations. Regarding their Wii U project, they were rather tight-lipped regarding what to expect, but they did say that it will be a challenging game that will get people together, and that you can expect it to be both very flashy and addicting.

This is going to be their first jump into next gen gaming. Monolith say they thought about it for a while, but and decided that if they were going to jump into the next generation, they’d like to have the perfect team in order to do it the right way. Working alongside Nintendo will be a huge advantage, they feel, as Monolith Soft will have a better understanding of the Wii U’s capabilities, in order to produce top notch titles for the company.

Monolith Soft’s Michihiko Inaba and executive producer, Hirohide Sugiura, had a couple of quotes to share, regarding their upcoming Wii U game.

Sugiura: “I believe that today’s Japanese gaming industry has lost its touch, and we’d like to do something to change that.”

Source

So good! I can't wait to see what it is!

Will this be the thread we post in during the ND?

I just can't wait til I leave work today. When I get home, I never surf the message boards, so i will forget all about this until I wake up to watch this glorious event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom