• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U gamepad screen protector. Are you getting one? which one?

nullset2

I'd get one... if they announced a new Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan game for Wii U to avoid repeating the mistake I did with my olden DS Lite ;_;

it won't happen, though

AndTAR

Being so used to modern glass screens, I definitely won't be able to stand the thought of a plastic screen unprotected. Even if the loss of resale value to faint scratches is insignificant, like 5% of the value or so.

Edit: Regarding the Hori product; "Bubble free!" seems kinda suspicious. From the looks of it, this is a film which keeps a layer of air between the screen and film (only clinging along the edges), reducing clarity even more.

Kind of a shame if true, always loved Hori. Applying a full-on static film perfectly is rather easy.

Chairhome

How will your Wii U pad get scratched? It's probably going to be sitting on an end table or by your tv.

dust accumulates around your house, especially with electronics to attract them. If there's dust on the screen and you use a stylus, it could scratch your screen. Happened to my old DS, even with the clamshell dust got on the screen and I ended up scratching it. Might not be as risky here since you're not likely to use a stylus as much, but I have two kids so I'm getting one.

daakusedo

When I got a 3dsxl, there weren't available screen protectors for it.
Since then I played a lot of kid icarus and the screen is fine.
I'm out too of the screen protector circle.

DJ_Lae

None.

Didn't with my fat DS, or DS Lite, or DSi, or 3DS, or XL.

And I scribbled a ton of frenzied circles thanks to Elite Beat Agents without consequence.

Sorcerer

The screen is definitely a finger print magnet. I know the ones I have seen are demo units but they look awful.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'm getting this one.

41ClRqeyoIL.jpg

RPG

I've always gone with Hori for my handhelds and will do the same for the Wii U tablet. I take care of my stuff and generally don't scratch or damage 'my' possessions, but a small $8-15 investment on a screen protector is worth the peace of mind against an accidental scratch driving me crazy. Also, I have 3 kids and they're going to scratch the crap out of that tablet.

Glass Joe

Screen protectors make me feel like an idiot because I can never apply them correctly. Fuck 'em.

Same. I ordered one for my 3DS XL and by the time I figured out how I was supposed to apply it, the film was already screwed up.

I ended up picking up a Write & Protect Pack for the U from a company called PDP. Good news is that it comes with two protectors so I'm allowed to screw one up. Bad news is there are NO instructions and I don't completely remember how to apply. I'll have to google, I guess, and hope the answer I get applies.

I don't think a screen protector is necessary unless a stylus is being used. I never scratch my screens of can't think of a reason why it would get scratched.

No screen protector for me. I will use the included stylus, not my car keys. I also won't let my pet grizzly bear play Nintendo Land with me - sorry bud.

Do they generally carry the Hori products at Gamestop? I don't want to pay $4 shipping for a sub-$10 item.

Gamesop likes to push their self branded garbage, or PDP stuff.

I prefer Hori or the official, I can't find either at a US retailer, even online. Anyone got any leads?

I like screen protectors cause of resale. That way when I resell the console, I can say the controller's had a screen protector since day 1 and can say it's used but in perfect condition in my description.

dust accumulates around your house, especially with electronics to attract them. If there's dust on the screen and you use a stylus, it could scratch your screen. Happened to my old DS, even with the clamshell dust got on the screen and I ended up scratching it. Might not be as risky here since you're not likely to use a stylus as much, but I have two kids so I'm getting one.

The kind of scratches dust would cause you'd never see in normal usage of the device. My daughter's DS has scratches on the touch screen and they're not remotely visible when the screen is on.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I dunno, but ito has to be some kind of scratch resistant material, right? Everything is scratch resistant nowadays. The only scratch I have on anything is a scratch on my phone from where I accidentally knelt on it. My entire body weight caused a scratch that you generally can't see.

That's because 99% of smartphones have glass screens, which makes screen protectors mostly useless. Resistive screens (wii u) scratch easier.

Id take the small chancw of a scratch than be 100% guaranteed looking at a lesser quality screen due to the screen film.

NYCrooner

Dork or not, I never practice unprotected gaming. One night of irresponsible gaming can leave you with a life time of pain.

I love Hori products but will see what the jury on Nintendo one is.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'll probably pick up the hori, or which ever my local mom n' pop game shop get in within a couple of weeks.

Eusis

Waste of money. Can be cleaned with any LCD Touch screen cleaner.
I don't think those fix scratches! And you'd have to use those either way to keep it clean, though some magical never-can-get-dirty screen protector might well be worth it anyway.
The kind of scratches dust would cause you'd never see in normal usage of the device. My daughter's DS has scratches on the touch screen and they're not remotely visible when the screen is on.
Every so often you can accidentally drag a bigger piece that can leave a visible scratch though, happened on my DSi while playing Layton.
That's because 99% of smartphones have glass screens, which makes screen protectors mostly useless. Resistive screens (wii u) scratch easier.

Id take the small chancw of a scratch than be 100% guaranteed looking at a lesser quality screen due to the screen film.
That resistive angle is exactly why I'd like to get a screen protector, but I don't notice any IQ drops with Hori protectors. At worst maybe the Vita looks a bit worse from an off angle, but 99% of the time you'll be playing looking head on.

Anyways, I'm not seeing the Nintendo kit on GameStop or Amazon, so it goes to Hori by default.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Nintendo oughta make a protective carrying case for the Game Pad (like the DS and 3DS) if you want to bring it over to a friend's house.

I've never used a screen protector in my life, so no. If it starts to get scratched up to the point that the screen is notably effected, then I'd probably get one, though.

Hell yeah I am getting that and also probably those anti scratch glove things..i just really disliked all the smudges i saw on the pad it's disgusting plus the stuff is cheap to get to prevent such stuff.

No because you don't need one if you keep the touchscreen clean. Buy yourself one of those lint-free cloths you use to clean specs and clean the screen using your breath to mist the screen before you use it and after you've used it. Then cover the screen with the cloth when not using the GamePad. Job done.

Going in naked as usual. Never liked screen protectors, always felt like it cheapened the aesthetic, and especially with touch screens negatively affected the input. I'll take the gashes as they come

Scratches drive me crazy; the gamepad at my local Target already has a deep gash in it. I trust myself enough to go without one but eventually friends/family/etc will get their hands on it and I don't trust them as much.

bryehn

Not sure exactly how many touch screen devices I've owned (currently 7), but I've never scratched one of them, so no. I may change my mind when my daughter is old enough to use said devices.

it's not myself im concerned about but it's friends they always treat things so roughly and bash things with the power of ten gods so i just rather be prepared lol

Eusis

Not sure exactly how many touch screen devices I've owned (currently 7), but I've never scratched one of them, so no. I may change my mind when my daughter is old enough to use said devices.
Unless those are all variants of a DS they're probably capacitive touch screens, which are usually glass, and especially coated glass is harder to scratch. I took off my iPod Touch screen protector when it was getting too scratched for my liking (and, uhh, because I was slightly drunk and decided what the hell lets do this), and I have yet to see scratches on that. So yeah, I'd be against using them on capacitive unless they were crazy and used a plastic screen, but for resistive it's screen protectors whenever reasonable.

AzaK

I'll get one and maybe an actual cover for the thing if I can find one that's not too bulky and annoying. I have a 3 year old boy so I need to protect it :)

I'll also get the cheapest option because I find they are all much of a muchness.

Top Bottom