• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U gamepad screen protector. Are you getting one? which one?

Boerseun

Banned
I havn't decided on a brand but I am definitely getting one. Years of touch screen fun on DS and 3DS have taught me it's the way to go. Better safe than sorry, and all that.

jlscool

Has anyone heard of/seen a Wii U Gamepad silicone wrap? Like the ones for the Wii Remotes. I thought I saw it mentioned in Japan, but have yet to hear if there would be one here in the US.

Has anyone heard of/seen a Wii U Gamepad silicone wrap? Like the ones for the Wii Remotes. I thought I saw it mentioned in Japan, but have yet to hear if there would be one here in the US.

nsfsX.jpg

by hori i think it was this thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496422

Hawk269

Is the screen on the Wii U Pad Glass? That spray on stuff does work, but only if it is a glass screen, it does not work as well on plastic screens.

Eusis

because I find they are all much of a muchness.
???

I'd stick with Hori anyway, they've generally been good to me, and even if it turns out they aren't THAT much better than the others they have the easiest application process.
I think we've hit rock bottom for Wii U threads

SCREEN PROTECTORS
At least it's important for protecting the controller rather than just being some neat little quirk.

Medalion

Banned
I recall the screen looking quite good to me, even with a bunch of smudged fingerprints

I may not get one right away... honestly, this launch is going to cost me shitloads of money, I have no time for extra accessories, the games alone are going to kill me

JimboJones

GAF must be saran wrapping everything they touch.

A controller that stays indoors doesn't need a screen protector.

I dunno, generally I toss my controllers in a drawer not caring if there's other cables,controllers,remotes or whatever in there but i'm definitly gonna be wary of where I put this controller and how I store it.

Still got a screen on it at the end of the day and it's probably a bit pricy to replace.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Screen isn't high res enough for me to care about superficial scratches. If I cared about screen quality I wouldn't be using it.

Medalion

Banned
Screen isn't high res enough for me to care about superficial scratches. If I cared about screen quality I wouldn't be using it.
You may want to start caring... those gamepads for the first while are not being sold separately, so if it fucks up, you can't get a replacement easily

simtmb

Nope. I'm usually very protective of my stuff but as the years went by i became much more carefree. Used to be so worried over the littlest things and it was always just a waste of time and energy worrying. That and it really does cheapen the aesthetic a bit. Especially cases.

I'll be handling it good enough anyways.

Lucent

You could still have a piece of dust that settles on and gets dragged across by the stylus, leaving a gash.

Yep. Not taking any chances. And the Hori screen protector on my Vita is working great. Can't even tell it's there.

Eusis

If you have a 3 year old boy it does.
A 3 year WOULD be far more hazardous than going outside.

... And now I remember how around that age I kept banging the edge of the NES controller on tables when I got angry at a game, I can't begin to imagine doing that with the Wii U Game Pad while a toddler.

eXistor

Probably getting the official one, though I have had a lot of bad experiences woth screen protectors. I always feel like I need one, but then I never scratch my screens. But you never know.

ThankeeSai

Just had an email from Amazon confirming there will be a delay in shipping the Hori one.

Apparently, the new estimated delivery date is around the 15th of December.

(this is for .co.uk by the way) -

Hello,

We regret to inform you that the following items have been delayed as we are still awaiting stock from our suppliers :

"Hori Officially Licensed Precision Screen Filter (Nintendo Wii U)" Estimated arrival date: December 15 2012 -December 14 2012

One of Amazon's aims is to provide a convenient and efficient service; in this case, we have fallen short. Please accept our sincere apologies.

You haven't been charged for this item yet as we don't debit money from your payment card until just before your items are dispatched. We'll send you a confirmation e-mail when your items are dispatched to confirm the date, contents and method of delivery.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department

nickcv

Just had an email from Amazon confirming there will be a delay in shipping the Hori one.

Apparently, the new estimated delivery date is around the 15th of December.

(this is for .co.uk by the way) -

oh, come on! 15 days after launch? that's unacceptable

D-e-f-

Banned
getting the official nintendo one. I like to have my Wii U-blue-colored cleaning cloth ready and the bigger stylus in case there is a drawing app/game in the future.

Diortem7

Are PDP products at least OK quality? Anyone had a previous screen protector from them, if so, did it use adhesive or was it static to stick to the screen?

I got a PDP screen protector for my 3DS and I think it's fine. The only issue is the application process and trying to get it on just right. I believe it uses adhesive to stick.

Also, I bought the PDP Wii U screen protectors since GameStop was selling them early and I wanted to make sure I had one to put on the controller as soon as I unwrapped it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
You may want to start caring... those gamepads for the first while are not being sold separately, so if it fucks up, you can't get a replacement easily

If the screen was 100% broken I'd care, but a screen protector won't save a shattered screen if I drop it or drunkenly step on it. Nothing would outside of an overpriced overly bulky case.

Eusis

If the screen was 100% broken I'd care, but a screen protector won't save a shattered screen if I drop it or drunkenly step on it. Nothing would outside of an overpriced overly bulky case.
I still think dust gouges are enough reason, but I guess it's up to each person whether they care enough or not. Still annoyed it happened on my DSi.

R-User!

Check my post above this.

Probably for glass? That site I linked, doesn't look like they were sure if it would work on plastic (or at least, work as well).

I'm probably going to order some of this stuff later this week, so I'll post some impressions. I plan to use it on my phone, Vita, nexus tablet, and the eventual WiiU Tablet.

Bookmark for your results

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I still think dust gouges are enough reason, but I guess it's up to each person whether they care enough or not. Still annoyed it happened on my DSi.

Yeah, It happened to my DS lite and I was not a happy camper. After that, I vowed to put screen protectors on all of my stuff.

nickcv

bump!

now that you guys have the console can you give us some impression about the screen protector you are using?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Bumping, because someone asked about my impressions if I got that Liquid Armor stuff.

Well, don't know YET. I just got the stuff today, and putting the stuff on is relatively straight forward. I've coated everything I own that has a touch screen (phone, tablet, Vita, and the WiiU pad).

Specifically, for the WiiU, coated it, waited 10 minutes, then tried using the pad. Works perfectly fine, doesnt look like the coating messed w/ the effectiveness of the touchscreen. The one niggling bit I had with the WiiU pad was that since the screen is recessed into the controller, the coating does sort of clump up around the edges. A quick buff w/ the cleaning cloth that comes with the spray got rid of it though.

Well, there's two niggling bits, actually. The 2nd thing is that its actually quite hard to tell if you actually have the stuff COATED. I mean, the only real test is to try and scratch the screen on purpose... and I'm not THAT crazy.

Also, for the hell of it, I coated the ENTIRE WiiU pad's front (because if I'm anal about scratches on the screen, just imagine how I'd feel about a noticeable scratch anywhere else on the pad). I'm also going to coat the back of the Vita, but I'm waiting for the front to cure before I proceed to the back.

One thing I'm noticing, is that it seems to be slightly more resistant to grubby fingerprints, but I've only done a quick test. I'll post more impressions after a week with this stuff.

FSLink

Banned
Haven't seen this topic when it was originally up, but I bought the Hori one myself. Works great, easy to apply, and doesn't affect gameplay.

nickcv

Bumping, because someone asked about my impressions if I got that Liquid Armor stuff.

Well, don't know YET. I just got the stuff today, and putting the stuff on is relatively straight forward. I've coated everything I own that has a touch screen (phone, tablet, Vita, and the WiiU pad).

Specifically, for the WiiU, coated it, waited 10 minutes, then tried using the pad. Works perfectly fine, doesnt look like the coating messed w/ the effectiveness of the touchscreen. The one niggling bit I had with the WiiU pad was that since the screen is recessed into the controller, the coating does sort of clump up around the edges. A quick buff w/ the cleaning cloth that comes with the spray got rid of it though.

Well, there's two niggling bits, actually. The 2nd thing is that its actually quite hard to tell if you actually have the stuff COATED. I mean, the only real test is to try and scratch the screen on purpose... and I'm not THAT crazy.

Also, for the hell of it, I coated the ENTIRE WiiU pad's front (because if I'm anal about scratches on the screen, just imagine how I'd feel about a noticeable scratch anywhere else on the pad). I'm also going to coat the back of the Vita, but I'm waiting for the front to cure before I proceed to the back.

One thing I'm noticing, is that it seems to be slightly more resistant to grubby fingerprints, but I've only done a quick test. I'll post more impressions after a week with this stuff.

thanks HaRyu!
really curious to see your follow up next week.

and i do know that deep inside you do want to scratch the gamepad screen to be sure it's actually coated =P

prwxv3

I said this in the Release thread but if you do find your gamepad with a light scratch you can use toothpaste to get them out. Just put some on a Q-Tip and rub the spot in a circular motion.

Reallink

I definitely recommend a screen protector here, they've apparently got a really cheap plastic on this screen. Using it or wiping it with common dust particles present (describing everyone) seems capable of producing micro-scratches (though only visible under angles and lighting that are just so). None the less this seems to be the least resistant device I've ever laid hands on. I consider myself borderline OC about babying devices and going to crazy lengths to maintain condition, but even I have a couple super fine blemishes within a few weeks. I can only imagine what screens will look like under regular or more abusive use.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, its been a week, so, quick recap:

I have coated the Liquid Armor on several devices. A WiiU Controller, a tablet, a vita, my phone, two phones belonging to other members of my family, and "half" a coat on my old phone (more on that in a bit).
My earlier observation that its more smudge resistant was false. When compared to normal, naked screens, its about the same, honestly.
Touch-wise, it still feels like glass, and about as smooth (as opposed to various other plastic screen protectors, where the surfaces can be a bit iffy). Responsiveness and usability are pretty much spot on, so no complaints about that.

Protects from scratches? That's a real good question. I did mention before that when you put this stuff on, its actually quite hard to tell if its actually ON there. So, remember that old phone that I half-coated? Well, after it cured, I tried to go to town, trying to scratch it to hell with a house key.
As far as I can tell, I wasn't scratching the screen. Keep in mind, I was pressing down really hard, and about the best (or worst) that I could do, was leave a "streak mark", but that was easily wiped away. This stuff works pretty damn well... HOWEVER:

1. Since I coated half the phone, I was also trying to scratch the un-coated part, as a control. To be perfectly honest, I had a hard time scratching that side too. Which kinda goes to show that regular screens are pretty resistant in the first place. Although after some vigorous scrubbing with the key, I did manage to leave a micro-scratch.

2. Last week, I did try to scratch my new phone after the stuff dried after 10 minutes (the minimum amount you have to wait). I did actually manage to make a micro-scratch. But since I didn't let the stuff cure for 24 hours, that's probably the reason why. I did manage to get rid of the micro-scratch by applying another coating.

3. I could have tried more extreme methods, like getting a really sharp knife or box cutter, but seriously, why would a really sharp knife or box cutter be even remotely near your screen on a regular basis? I was going for "stuff that could normally scratch the screen"​

I think we had a concern that the WiiU tablet screen isn't really glass, and that there would be a problem, but no, works perfectly fine.

If you guys have any additional questions, feel free to ask, but my general opinion of this is that it works, and hopefully I will never use regular screen protectors ever again.

Top Bottom