• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U hacked?

You came off that way to me too. Just because a game isn't known to the COD loving masses, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. If Nintendo is not willing to take even a slight risk (proven now to be a risk that paid off in the case of Last Story) of bringing over a game that a smaller, yet still important segment of their fans then in my mind they deserve to get hacked. If they don't respect that segment of their fanbase to bring something over even if they might lose a bit of money (but gain a lot of goodwill) then they shouldn't expect respect in return.

As a 'hardcore' gamer of course it would be important to us. I was looking at it from an overall, business point of view -- I figured that was implied.

netBuff

You already can run Wii U games off an external usb hard drive...

And I'm sure that's what he meant, buying a game on the eShop and running it off a flash drive - in a thread about Wii U hacking (I hope it doesn't happen, though - piracy is bad news for publishers).

Rich!

And I'm sure that's what he meant, buying a game on the eShop and running it off a flash drive - in a thread about Wii U hacking (I hope it doesn't happen, though - piracy is bad news for publishers).

For my own convinience, it would be nice to rip my retail games to my HDD. Having gamepad play in another room is ruined a bit by having to go and change discs.

But yeah, that being possible also means piracy. Sucks.

You already can run Wii U games off an external usb hard drive...

If you buy retail can you currently run those games off a hard drive? There are many benefits to this such as quicker loading times, less wear and tear on the drive, not having to get up to switch discs if you play multiple games, having a nice menu to choose between games, and also being able to store your discs away and not have to worry about smudges or scrapes.

FyreWulff

If you buy retail can you currently run those games off a hard drive? There are many benefits to this such as quicker loading times, less wear and tear on the drive, not having to get up to switch discs if you play multiple games, having a nice menu to choose between games, and also being able to store your discs away and not have to worry about smudges or scrapes.

The closest they'll probably ever get is the 360 disc install feature. Being able to install a game and not use the disc anymore is just begging for rampant copying.

The closest they'll probably ever get is the 360 disc install feature. Being able to install a game and not use the disc anymore is just begging for rampant copying.

That's why I mentioned it here in a hacking thread as this is possible on 360 or PS3 if yours is hacked. Of course Nintendo won't do that, especially as the are probably the most draconian of the companies currently releasing consoles.

Jac_Solar

Region free is not some trivial feature. Have you ever wanted to play a region locked game that you know will never ever come to your country? You wouldn't understand the feeling unless you've been in the situation where your mouse cursor was hovering over "buy" for a $300 console that you already own just from a different country just to play 2 games, then you ultimately decide not to because it's financially irresponsible and the international shipping costs almost as much as the console itself. Then you look at one of the region locked games you already bought impulsively n anticipation of getting the console and weep. Rinse and repeat every few months.

It is a sadness. This is my story.

Aww. Yeah, I didn't mean to trivialize the region-lock, but I didn't realize that it's such a big deal for some people. However, I haven't really paid attention to games that are region-locked here. (Norway.)

Stewox

Banned
that was GeoHot and another guy, fail0verflow guys were never sued.

page1-463px-Sonyvhotz.djvu.jpg

Protome

You're not going to get much of a load-time decrease running from a USB HDD compared to reading a disc.

evanmisha

If they don't respect that segment of their fanbase to bring something over even if they might lose a bit of money (but gain a lot of goodwill) then they shouldn't expect respect in return.

Just to be clear, an Operation Rainfall game would've had to fail massively for it to actually lose money from a simple localization. For Nintendo, the issue is more along the lines of, will it make enough money. Not Mario? Not interested.

It's basically the benefits of retail and digital combined.

Mael

Just to be clear, an Operation Rainfall game would've had to fail massively for it to actually lose money from a simple localization. For Nintendo, the issue is more along the lines of, will it make enough money. Not Mario? Not interested.

That's not even localisation at this point it was merely repackaging

Region free is not some trivial feature. Have you ever wanted to play a region locked game that you know will never ever come to your country? You wouldn't understand the feeling unless you've been in the situation where your mouse cursor was hovering over "buy" for a $300 console that you already own just from a different country just to play 2 games, then you ultimately decide not to because it's financially irresponsible and the international shipping costs almost as much as the console itself. Then you look at one of the region locked games you already bought impulsively n anticipation of getting the console and weep. Rinse and repeat every few months.

It is a sadness. This is my story.

I know how you feel, I wanted to play Otomedius Excellent so bad but it's region-locked to the US so my EU XBOX will never play it :( But still I'm not sure if I want the Wii U hacked for region-unlocking just yet and a Wii Mode only hack would be the best for now in my opinion, maybe with a Gamepad redirect but that's all.

And region locking games that will never come to other regions anyways is a thing I will never understand, I mean why is it so bad for additional consumers to buy products even if they are outside the targeted market? o.o

Tagg9

You're not going to get much of a load-time decrease running from a USB HDD compared to reading a disc.

Since when? Speeds were dramatically improved on Wii (and 360) if you did this. Wii U's optical drive speed may negate this, however.

nikatapi

I was just about to mention that :) I wonder why 3DS is listed as well.

I hope not only to show some DS-mode hacks, but some 3DS-mode stuff.
Seriously just consider how many great games are japan only at the moment, i would import in a heartbeat if i could play them on my 3DS.

test_account

XP-39C²
I hope not only to show some DS-mode hacks, but some 3DS-mode stuff.
Seriously just consider how many great games are japan only at the moment, i would import in a heartbeat if i could play them on my 3DS.
Doesnt flashcard already work in DS mode on the 3DS? I dont think it is related to that, but it could mean nothing as well. Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 is also mentioned, i dont think they will be showing any more hacks for those systems.

I reeeally[/i[ want the 3DS decryption key to be found. I am very interested in the music for various 3DS games, especially Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D Land, and most importantly, future Pokémon.

Jomjom

Banned
That's not even localisation at this point it was merely repackaging

Yup pretty much this. I do hope the Wii U, as far as region free gaming goes, is hacked completely. I rewarded NoE for their "fanservice" so to speak, by importing the CEs of all 3 Operation Rainfall games. Would be awesome to be able to play that on the Wii U and retire the old Wii.

Since I've heard that Wii games through the Wii U's HDMI connection looks slightly cleaner, I'm excited to play those games on it. All three of those games were beautiful in my opinion. Even a slight boost to the graphics would be awesome.

Tmdean

Banned
Since when? Speeds were dramatically improved on Wii (and 360) if you did this. Wii U's optical drive speed may negate this, however.

It wouldn't be that much of an improvement. The Wii U's drive is 22.5 MB/s, and USB 2.0 is around a maximum of 35-40 MB/s, but I think it's significantly slower in actual performance. Random access would probably be slightly faster for hard drives compared to optical drives, though.

insin

Neo Member
fail0verflow have posted another SHA1 hash blog entry with the message:

Devices can get drunk too. Fewer bytes, twice the fun!

It's titled 11 Days, so something to do with the gamepad?

hirokazu

While I can't speak about the Wii U and its supposed modified Blu-ray Disc format, have you tried USB Loaders on Wii?

It'll vary from game to game, but there was enough improvement in load times that eventually that the first thing I do when I bought a game was rip it to HDD and never touch the disc again.

I played DKCR from HDD and thought the load times were alright but eventually I saw videos of people play on YouTube. The disc-based load times on that game was so much longer than the HDD load times it's not even funny.

And because I'm not a pirating fellow, here is a picture of my copy of DKCR:

Seems like it will be very easy based on everything that has came out so far about the system. Will be interesting to see what comes of this at ccc in Germany later this month.

kitsuneyo

All I want is region unlocking and playing games from HDDs.
Nothing more, nothing less.

I'd be up for that. Would be really convenient. I've no interest in pirating games... not since the Amiga days when I was about 10 years old, swapping 3.5" disks with school friends :)

It'll have to be a totally fail-safe process to convince me to mess with my Wii U though.

I hope Nintendo are able to shut this down ASAP to be honest... and I'm the guy who started the original Wii homebrew thread.

I know people here love their custom firmwares, homebrew and region free solutions - but it was just bust right open on Wii, and abused for piracy. Probably helped kill any chance of decent software in the last year or two as well.

BrhysH

..Thanks for giving publishers and the industry more reason to move to streaming games and add crazy online DRM.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Feels pretty weird seeing the WiiU get hacked faster than the 3DS. If only both could be made region free in tandem!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wont be much need for region free when developers just stop making games for the devices.

Japan seems quite eager to keep making 3DS games, and thats pretty much the crux of the whole issue of my "still not getting a fucking region locked handheld" viewpoint. Besides, DS was hacked up the ass, games still sold.

Effect

I said it about the 3DS and I'll it again about the Wii U. I hope Nintendo has there team ready to release update after update to not have a repeat of the Wii. Third party support is already an issue. There doesn't need to be anything out there that can be used as an additional excuse not to make games for the system going forward, especially so early in it's life.

Wont be much need for region free when developers just stop making games for the devices.
Don't you mean "won't start making games" ?

The DS and Wii were already big sellers before they were blown wide open and it definitely impacted the number of software releases they received late in their lives.

Don't you mean "won't start making games" ?

The DS and Wii were already big sellers before they were blown wide open and it definitely impacted the number of software releases they received late in their lives.

I'm not sure that it had any impact on the number of games released on the Wii.

Top Bottom