• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U hacked?

Metalmarc

Hacked already?
Ha. i cant even get online with my main wi-fi connection, even after the update and f*cking around with the IP settings etc

lucky for me, my house has a secondary wi-fi connection with another company, that works! (only with wep disabled ) although it's a shitty 2 meg compared to my 60mb main

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well neither one has been hacked, it just kinds of feel like they reached a turning point with the latest generation of systems whereby genius kids in bedrooms are no longer enough to break it.

I was stumped over the word "console" in comparison to "handheld".

Well neither one has been hacked, it just kinds of feel like they reached a turning point with the latest generation of systems whereby genius kids in bedrooms are no longer enough to break it.

Err... about that... Both 3DS and Vita have their BC modes fully hacked, and there have been a few big names in the PSP "scene" who've more or less confirmed that they have at least some code running access to Vita, likely in "user" mode... they just aren't released to the public yet.

test_account

XP-39C²
Err... about that... Both 3DS and Vita have their BC modes fully hacked, and there have been a few big names in the PSP "scene" who've more or less confirmed that they have at least some code running access to Vita, likely in "user" mode... they just aren't released to the public yet.
Who? I know about Yifan Lu (not sure that he is big in the PSP scene though), but who are the others?

Erethian

There's a difference between taking advantage of existing exploits that are there due to backwards compatibility, and actually hacking the native operating environment. Unless something has changed on that front, at least with the 3DS.

big_z

if this thing gets hacked now, there is no way it can survive an entire generation. nintendo would have to release another system before 2015.

Wait for E3, Nintendo will show off its next gen console. They can sweep wiiU under the rug like virtual boy.

Anyway until the system is hacked in wiiU mode it's not really hacked. 3DS was hacked to play DS games really fast but the 3DS part remains unscathed.

Persona7

Banned
Hacked already?
Ha. i cant even get online with my main wi-fi connection, even after the update and f*cking around with the IP settings etc

lucky for me, my house has a secondary wi-fi connection with another company, that works! (only with wep disabled ) although it's a shitty 2 meg compared to my 60mb main

It wouldn't matter anyway. Nintendo throttles all their connections off their server.

RoyalFool

Banned

That's not really true, old hacks work in the emulated environments because they didn't have a safe way of just removing the hack without it possibly affecting compatibility, and the emulated environments are so safely sand-boxed that it poses no risk to the parent operating system and the system kernals.

arit

Nintendo just needs an update making the WiiU regionfree and being able to install games to external storage and I'd be not interested in hacks anymore.

What good is a quiet console if its optical media drive makes it unbearably loud? I was positively surprised how nice WiiU is, but then I inserted NintendoLand.

These two reasons drove me to Wii hackery, finally being able to use the disc trapped in its beautiful black case and then even without the loud noise of the drive. It was a wonderful day.

Jockel

I recall the group "Legacy" stating that they managed to break copy protection on 3DS and play back the games they dumped; and they stated something like "just wait for the chinese cart manufacturers to figure it out themselves" - so apparently it is not just possible, it already happened.

M3d10n

Can anyone with more knowledge of emulation confirm my theory.

I was under impression that you typically need much more powerful consoles to emulate old consoles because the architecture is always so different.

However, from the info we have on the Wii U, there is no second CPU or second GPU in it for the purpose of Wii emulation. This suggests that the main Wii U CPU already has all of the same architecture as the Wiis CPU but with more power, a higher clock speed and edram. Likewise, the main Wii U GPU already has all of the same architecture as the Wiis GPU but with a lot more shaders and pipelines and a higher clock speed.

If that's the case, a fully hacked Wii U both emulating and up converting Wii games should be doable, no?

There's no emulation going on, Wii games run "on the metal".

Just like an i7 can run code originally written for a Pentium 3, the Wii U CPU can run code written for the Wii CPU. The GPU also is likely to have a "Wii mode", just like the PS2 GPU: it has all the commands and functions necessary to run the past console's games.

At most, there might be some leftover Wii U code running on a separate core which intercepts some memory accesses and the GPU might do some extra babysitting behind the scenes (to upscale, as example), but it's not close to emulation at all.

Theoretical VC Gamecube games might be merely modified binaries wrapped inside native Wii U applications, like the 3DS GBA games are.

I recall the group "Legacy" stating that they managed to break copy protection on 3DS and play back the games they dumped; and they stated something like "just wait for the chinese cart manufacturers to figure it out themselves" - so apparently it is not just possible, it already happened.

AFAIK this only worked for one game (Splinter Cell) and the method cannot be applied directly to other games: there seems to be some sort of hardware authentication that changes from game to game. Even if they do manage to make a cart that works for all games, you'll only ever be able to have a single game on the cart at once, since there's no way to run a loader menu (which would be unsigned code).

Who? I know about Yifan Lu (not sure that he is big in the PSP scene though), but who are the others?

SKFU (who's also big in the PS3 scene) and Wololo. Wololo.net is a good place to keep up on Vita hacks.

Also SKFU has access to a Vita dev kit http://wololo.net/2012/11/17/skfu-g...s-vulnerabilities-that-could-help-hacking-it/

(edit)

RoyalFool: It's a misunderstanding to think that sandboxed means secure... Wii mode was hacked from GCN's sand box. Lots of vita information was discovered via the PSP's sandbox (including the fact that it's achieved via the "Kermit" API, and how parts of the memory are stored/accessed). You can learn a lot about a host system via a sandboxed environment... it's impossible to turn everything off or else there would be no way to get back :)

Jockel

AFAIK this only worked for one game (Splinter Cell) and the method cannot be applied directly to other games: there seems to be some sort of hardware authentication that changes from game to game. Even if they do manage to make a cart that works for all games, you'll only ever be able to have a single game on the cart at once, since there's no way to run a loader menu (which would be unsigned code).
You're thinking of the "Crown3DS" team. Legacy got something different, apparently. Not public, of course.

M3d10n

SKFU (who's also big in the PS3 scene) and Wololo. Wololo.net is a good place to keep up on Vita hacks.

Also SKFU has access to a Vita dev kit http://wololo.net/2012/11/17/skfu-g...s-vulnerabilities-that-could-help-hacking-it/

(edit)

RoyalFool: It's a misunderstanding to think that sandboxed means secure... Wii mode was hacked from GCN's sand box. Lots of vita information was discovered via the PSP's sandbox (including the fact that it's achieved via the "Kermit" API, and how parts of the memory are stored/accessed). You can learn a lot about a host system via a sandboxed environment... it's impossible to turn everything off or else there would be no way to get back :)

Correct, but it's entirely possible to prevent rogue software from moving upstream if you have access control on at CPU level. Example: code being executed from memory range A cannot read/write data in memory range B.

You're thinking of the "Crown3DS" team. Legacy got something different, apparently. Not public, of course.

Ah, I see. Anyway, creating single-game flashcarts is something I expected to have happened much sooner: the cart talks to the system via an interface, so it would be only a matter of replicating all the responses returned by the cart and the system would have no way to know it's talking to a fake (essentially, a "Chinese Room") . That Nintendo somehow managed to delay this deserves a commendation... and also leaves me confused as to how could they mess things up with the Wii U given the gained experience.

test_account

XP-39C²

Thanks for the link. I've read that article before, SKFU only said that there are vulnerabilities that might let one bypass the 90 day devkit activation, not anything about runing unsigned code on a retail Vita as far as i can see. No offense to SKFU at all, but i dont think he is really concidered as a big guy in the hacking scene. He might be known by name, but he has not come up with any breakthrough hacks as far as i know.

I usually read wololo.net, but i havnt seen that Wololo had said that he has anything. Anymore info on this? :)

FyreWulff

Playing 1:1 dumps isn't interesting though. Running your own code is. That's what the homebrewers are after so they can run their own code. That's what the pirates are after since it allows you to make a loader that can load multiple images off one disc and strip out useless data to fit more games on one.

Jockel

Playing 1:1 dumps isn't interesting though. Running your own code is. That's what the homebrewers are after so they can run their own code. That's what the pirates are after since it allows you to make a loader that can load multiple images off one disc and strip out useless data to fit more games on one.
I never said it was, I just wanted to point out the current state of affairs.

I chuckle every time I read "yes! now I will be able to play my backups of games I totally own!", yeah right...

I still own all of my favorite games from the SNES/Genesis/PS1/N64 eras

I love those games and get nostalgic every time I play them. But not to the point where I can justify buying a ton of adapters to have all those system still hooked up to my tv, having them take up a ton of space and still having to blow on them just to get them to work.

That's why I like being able to emulate all my favorite games from back then on newer consoles. I am sure I'm not alone.

I was able to archive my entire SNES collection digitally using a Retrode. So awesome.

This... it's not especially hard to create backups of games you own, and I have a mess of NES/SNES carts LITERALLY this second right beside me if you'd like me to take a picture of :)

Most dumping hardware is $50~ range... cheaper often than buying a replacement console.

Thraktor

It's not going to be a hash of the key, folks. It's likely they've written up some basic details of a hack, and posted up a hash of that write-up for insurance. If anyone else publicly hacks it before they do their full reveal in 8 days, then failoverflow can simply post that write-up online to prove that they'd already done so. It allows them to try to get something more impressive done (say a proper demo with working gamepad support) for their reveal without having to worry about getting scooped.

Tmdean

Banned
It's not going to be a hash of the key, folks. It's likely they've written up some basic details of a hack, and posted up a hash of that write-up for insurance. If anyone else publicly hacks it before they do their full reveal in 8 days, then failoverflow can simply post that write-up online to prove that they'd already done so. It allows them to try to get something more impressive done (say a proper demo with working gamepad support) for their reveal without having to worry about getting scooped.

Yeah, that sounds like it could be a possibility.

More likely I think with a hash tag (adding too that they had to update it because "they left a lot of garbage data), it's likely the hash of full flash dump or firmware dump.

Tagg9

More likely I think with a hash tag (adding too that they had to update it because "they left a lot of garbage data), it's likely the hash of full flash dump or firmware dump.

Yeah, it's not a hash of some "hacking writeup", that would be irrelevant.

Has anyone done any interesting tinkering with the controller? IIRC it's just using standard wifi N chips yes? The only trick it would seem would be reversing whatever magic transfer protocol they have running under the hood. This will get way cool once it gets unlocked for PC use. I honestly couldn't care less really about homebrew besides region free functionality in a select few cases

Ydahs

Has anyone done any interesting tinkering with the controller? IIRC it's just using standard wifi N chips yes? The only trick it would seem would be reversing whatever magic transfer protocol they have running under the hood. This will get way cool once it gets unlocked for PC use. I honestly couldn't care less really about homebrew besides region free functionality in a select few cases

Nintendo and Broadcom worked on a proprietary protocol which uses the Miracast standard, which is built on top of Wifi Direct. Wifi Direct's still a very new technology with very few devices supporting it, so it'll be a while before we see anything come out of it. Even if they do manage to establish a pairing with the controller, it'll take a lot of effort to ensure it streams content as fast as the WiiU does, which is by far the fastest Wifi Direct device on the market today. It's really cutting edge technology.

elektrixx

Banned
I'd love to get into homebrew again but I'm sick of Googling people's experiences every time a system update comes out. I'll remain stock for now.

Hopefully for my sake it will prompt Nintendo to implement features that people want bad enough to install themselves.

USB Loading of illegally downloaded games
Cheats and Hacks in online games, rendering them almost unplayable

Not saying it will have an apocalyptic effect, but still... some people WILL use it for those 2 points above.

And some people use cars to kill others. Doesn't mean we should stop making cars.

Fredrik

Play emulators

vs

Miiverse

This is a harder choice than Xbox Live and PSN.
No kidding Xbox Live isn't even close of being as important as having WiiU online as far as I'm concerned. Region free would be sweet though since I live in europe. And VC games on the gamepad would be awesome. But seriously using WiiU offline only would be like... like... I can't even come up with a comparison stupid enough, I'd rather not use the console at all.

Anyhow, judging by the percentage of friends who have bought a second system just to pirate stuff on PSP, Wii, DS, 360 etc I think this hack will at least increase system sales. Software sales on the other hand...

vitacola

I need a "You're already hacked" Ken picture to post it in every new "Console/handheld XXX hacked?" thread. Someone?

Top Bottom