• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U hacked?

Aeana

Cmon people, its just a sha-1 hash, its not a key of anything.
So this doesn't mean Wiiu is hacked at all.

On the other hand, they wouldn't have posted it if it was completely meaningless.
As of now we don't know anything either way though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Wait, so can I play roms of my old SNES, Genesis or even GC games on a Wii U and have them be steamed onto the tablet controller yet?

If so, sign me up!

Would love to play SM64 on that gamepad screen.

VICI0US

homebrew would be cool (glorious gamepad emulation) but the piracy that inevitably comes along with it definitely isn't.

way too many great games on DS and Wii suffered due to piracy, would be nice to avoid the same fate on the Wii-U.

they've kept the 3DS locked up quite well thus far so.. we'll see.

-KRS-

Cmon people, its just a sha-1 hash, its not a key of anything.
So this doesn't mean Wiiu is hacked at all.

I think it's an SHA-1 hash of the key that marcan & co has done themselves isn't it? They didn't post the key yet, just a hash of it that they made. or something. I dunno what this means. :D

Eusis

As awesome as hacks are, they often bring on more harm than good. Not sure how I feel about it.
Well, I'm hoping if this results in more harm than good that revealing anything this early in the Wii U's life means they can swiftly slap down some strong damage control and make it a relative non-issue, but we'll see. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the strong online focus was the strongest deterrent, the PS3 got blown wide open, yet it doesn't seem like there's been THAT much focus on homebrew, and similar for the 360 (I'm not even sure there IS homebrew there, just straight up piracy). If they can easily ban online over that then the online features alone could make it unappealing to be a popular pirating option.

wsippel

Banned
Holy....

How çan the system be less secure than the 2 year old 3DS? Blows my mind....
As far as I understand, Wii security was conceptually sound - there was an oversight that blew the door wide open, but Twiizers never made the low level hacks public. And it seems Nintendo didn't find (all of) them, so fail0verflow, which consists of people who have in-depth knowledge of old Wii security issues, already had a foot in the door from day one. That's quite different from the 3DS, which is an evolution of a system that was never properly hacked either.

I hope the wiiu isn't hacked for a year or 2. If its hacked now, it doesn't sound too good for 3rd party support whats left of it. Even though they should of just region locked nintendo made games left the others alone and would like the region lock gone I'm not wanting a hacked wiiu atm.

-MB-

I think it's an SHA-1 hash of the key that marcan & co has done themselves isn't it? They didn't post the key yet, just a hash of it that they made. or something. I dunno what this means. :D

A sha-1 hash can be generated from any file, not from some encyption key.

Fredrik

If it becomes difficult for Nintendo to patch properly (no clue about this stuff personally) then this isn't going to help with their wanting more third party games..

Think it will be ok?
It depends on if the hackers are into piracy or not. If they unlock the door to piracy then it's most likely bye bye third party support since the platform hasn't in any way taken off yet saleswise. But region unlocking will most likely help with the sales since games aren't released simultaneously worldwide. Piracy do help with the system sales though so you never know if that may increase third party interest.

If this is indeed a hack of the Wii U mode, would this be the fastest hack ever in history?

Serves Nintendo right for insisting on region locking the system.

Pikma

Banned
If this is indeed a hack of the Wii U mode, would this be the fastest hack ever in history?

Serves Nintendo right for insisting on region locking the system.

Haha, they would have done that regardless of region locks, as much as they want you to believe hackers are not superheroes, they do this for exposure, even if it means opening the whole door for pirates.

PKrockin

Lets pretend it's hacked and homebrew is available for all to do what they want (Region Free, Run games off HDD etc) then what are the chances of being able to access Wii U's online features without being banned?
I was able to play online games and buy from the Shop Channel just fine on my hacked Wii.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Haha, they would have done that regardless of region locks, as much as they want you to believe hackers are not superheroes, they do this for exposure, even if it means opening the whole door for pirates.
They aren't supervillains like corporate apologists would have you believe either.

One look at their blog would tell you that they just enjoy breaking security. Why else would they bother with stuff like this? http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2012/cve-2012-0217-intel-sysret-freebsd.html

godofearthx

Neo Member
The Wii U is protected in a similar way as the 3DS but with another layer of protection. It won't be possible to use back ups except if the drive is firmware/hardware modded. That solution has yet to come.

Well, I'm hoping if this results in more harm than good that revealing anything this early in the Wii U's life means they can swiftly slap down some strong damage control and make it a relative non-issue, but we'll see. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the strong online focus was the strongest deterrent, the PS3 got blown wide open, yet it doesn't seem like there's been THAT much focus on homebrew, and similar for the 360 (I'm not even sure there IS homebrew there, just straight up piracy). If they can easily ban online over that then the online features alone could make it unappealing to be a popular pirating option.
I hope so. Even if piracy was tempting for me, the (hopefully) loss of online functionality with Miiverse and multiplayer would deter enough to not cause a real impact. Of course, Nintendo's stance on how their account based system works could push some toward piracy as well. Maybe they can make the right moves in time to remedy the issue. If their is an actual issue with this particular instance.

After the Sony cases everyone knows allowing imports won't protect anyone.

I'm not saying it would have.

I am having I have literally zero sympathy for Nintendo that the Wii U was hacked less than a month into its launch and the reason I have no sympathy is because they region locked it.

Sandfox

I'll wait for them to actually be able o do something with the Wii U OS before I make any sort of opinion towards this.

Any way the hack could enable true 1080p wii mode?
No.

I don't know. The Wii Us CPU is literally an over clocked Wii CPU with edram added to it. I haven't heard that the Wii U has a second GPU to run Wii games and if that's the case, then the Wii Us GPU also has all the same core hardware components found in the Wiis GPU.

If so, being able to emulate and upconvert Wii games with a hack of the Wii U mode may be doable.

Pardon me for uh being ignorant noob but why is freakin Nintendo so into about region locking in the first place?
I think it goes back the NES days where they made it (in a physical sense, though in Europe had chip lockouts too because Europe was two regions*) to keep control of what games came out (remember the crash happened due to saturated market) and also being able to co-ordinate marking etc (wouldn't really work if everyone imported, yes there were converters available but people were largely kept ignorant of these).

Now the official excuse is age ratings. Though the real reason is still financial of not wanting to be undercut or have to compete with their subsidiaries. Plus the whole wholesale thing (maybe it says all you need to know about Europe if it can be cheaper for a retailer to import and pay import duty on goods than it is to buy off the official wholeseller).

*-And you thought today's region locking was messed up. It was due to different companies distributing in different countries and didn't want their software working on the competitors hardware.

Social

The Wii U is protected in a similar way as the 3DS but with another layer of protection. It won't be possible to use back ups except if the drive is firmware/hardware modded. That solution has yet to come.

Well, we'll probably be able to softmod it to run digital games soon though.
RIP third party

but yeah, not interested if it is a cat and mouse game via firmware updates.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You know, if Nintendo has anyone watching over NeoGAF, he just needs to warn a higher-up, contact the guy and say "You stop that right now."

I'd like region-free Wii U, though.

Or they release a patch rapido to fix whatever leak they have.

test_account

XP-39C²
I might be mistaken, but iPhone was hacked in less than two weeks. iPad was also hacked on day one i think, but that is runing iOS as well, so i'm sure if that (regarding hacking a new system) counts on the same level.

Can anyone with more knowledge of emulation confirm my theory.

I was under impression that you typically need much more powerful consoles to emulate old consoles because the architecture is always so different.

However, from the info we have on the Wii U, there is no second CPU or second GPU in it for the purpose of Wii emulation. This suggests that the main Wii U CPU already has all of the same architecture as the Wiis CPU but with more power, a higher clock speed and edram. Likewise, the main Wii U GPU already has all of the same architecture as the Wiis GPU but with a lot more shaders and pipelines and a higher clock speed.

If that's the case, a fully hacked Wii U both emulating and up converting Wii games should be doable, no?

Shahed

If it means region free Wii U gaming I'm all for it. Now go and work on 3DS. That's my main priority. How else will I play SMTIV in the EU?

Can anyone with more knowledge of emulation confirm my theory.

I was under impression that you typically need much more powerful consoles to emulate old consoles because the architecture is always so different.

However, from the info we have on the Wii U, there is no second CPU or second GPU in it for the purpose of Wii emulation. This suggests that the main Wii U CPU already has all of the same architecture as the Wiis CPU but with more power, a higher clock speed and edram. Likewise, the main Wii U GPU already has all of the same architecture as the Wiis GPU but with a lot more shaders and pipelines and a higher clock speed.

If that's the case, a fully hacked Wii U both emulating and up converting Wii games should be doable, no?
Doable or possible doesn't imply that it will ever actually happen -- and it's fair to say it won't. Uprendering is in the realm of software emulation, which is to say dolphin-emu on your computer and that's it. Too much time/effort to pull it off, and too little incentive to do so. I mean, consider: the reason dolphin-emu requires crazy clockspeeds is that it's an inherently hobbyist project. With more effort, it could run on lesser hardware, like, for example, the WiiU. But that extra effort isn't going to manifest itself, because if Nintendo didn't find it worthwhile enough to spend money on, who is?

That said, Wii games look preeeeetty good via WiiU on my HDTV. Outputs at 1080p, upscaling is solid. About a million times better than my TV's upscaler, that's for sure.

We can thank these fellas when downloading a 7GB maximum security lockdown patch in the next weeks.

I doubt Nintendo has any idea where the vulnerability lies.

My understanding is this hack happened so fast because the people that originally hacked the Wii never actually revealed where the vulnerability is and as a result Nintendo never did fix that vulnerability in the Wii U either. That's why there isn't any revision of the Wii that can't be hacked and you can still use the eshop and play online games with a hacked Wii.

If that's the case and these guys continue to keep it a secret, it's possible that Nintendo has no idea how to even fix it.

What are the odds I can soon play roms of my old SNES, Genesis or even GC games on a Wii U and have them be streamed onto the tablet controller?

If they can stream emulated games onto the tablet controller, I'll go buy one today itself.
Imagine if HomeBrew turns out to be the saving grace for the system, because as of right now is not so hot.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I hope so. Even if piracy was tempting for me, the (hopefully) loss of online functionality with Miiverse and multiplayer would deter enough to not cause a real impact. Of course, Nintendo's stance on how their account based system works could push some toward piracy as well. Maybe they can make the right moves in time to remedy the issue. If their is an actual issue with this particular instance.

I don't think being banned from the Miiverse would deter anyone at this rate. It's not like a Live/PSN deal where I would actually care if my account was shut down.

If we have another Wii situation where NOA are being stingy with releases (that Nintendo themselves funded), and my option for making the Wii U region free resulted in my NNID being banned (not like I can take it off the system, so who cares?) I'll go with the option to play more video games every time.

Zee-Row

Banned
Can't Nintendo permaban your Nintendo Network account with this Wii exploit? Couldn't they scan the Wii if you connected to any of their services? Even the Wii Shop channel needs a Nintendo Network account in Wii mode.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I doubt Nintendo has any idea where the vulnerability lies.

My understanding is this hack happened so fast because the people that originally hacked the Wii never actually revealed where the vulnerability is and this Nintendo never fixed that vulnerability in the Wii U either. That's why there isn't any revision of the Wii that can't be hacked and you can still use the eshop and play online games with a hacked Wii.

If that's the case and these guys continue to keep it a secret, it's possible that Nintendo has no idea how to even fix it.

Pro tip: 40 character hex strings are usually SHA1 hashes, not encryption keys.

If this is any indication of where the problem is, Nintendo can fix it in no time.

Doable or possible doesn't imply that it will ever actually happen -- and it's fair to say it won't. Uprendering is in the realm of software emulation, which is to say dolphin-emu on your computer and that's it. Too much time/effort to pull it off, and too little incentive to do so. I mean, consider: the reason dolphin-emu requires crazy clockspeeds is that it's an inherently hobbyist project. With more effort, it could run on lesser hardware, like, for example, the WiiU. But that extra effort isn't going to manifest itself, because if Nintendo didn't find it worthwhile enough to spend money on, who is?

That said, Wii games look preeeeetty good via WiiU on my HDTV. Outputs at 1080p, upscaling is solid. About a million times better than my TV's upscaler, that's for sure.

They've stated they plan to release GameCube games on the Wii U via Virtual Console right? If so, that means it can emulate gamecube games (likely due to sharing the same underlying architecture). I would be happy just to see atleast GameCube games emulated, unconverted to 1080p and also simultaneously displayed on the tablet controller.

Top Bottom