• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U hacked?

Anybody know if existing Wii USB loaders currently work in Wii mode? It'd be great for me not having to drag out my discs every time. Also being able to play my Xenoblade copy (PAL) on WiiU.

Revven

Can't Nintendo permaban your Nintendo Network account with this Wii exploit? Couldn't they scan the Wii if you connected to any of their services? Even the Wii Shop channel needs a Nintendo Network account in Wii mode.

The Wii mode is completely separate from the Wii U... how could they "scan" for anything? Nintendo didn't have that kind of thing set up for the Wii, it's highly unlikely they have anything like that set up for the Wii U.

And besides, they stopped trying to block homebrew on the Wii years ago. If it stays in Wii mode, I doubt they'll do much of anything (not that they could even do anything anyway because the Wii's patching ability is so limited).

Eusis

Doable or possible doesn't imply that it will ever actually happen -- and it's fair to say it won't. Uprendering is in the realm of software emulation, which is to say dolphin-emu on your computer and that's it. Too much time/effort to pull it off, and too little incentive to do so. I mean, consider: the reason dolphin-emu requires crazy clockspeeds is that it's an inherently hobbyist project. With more effort, it could run on lesser hardware, like, for example, the WiiU. But that extra effort isn't going to manifest itself, because if Nintendo didn't find it worthwhile enough to spend money on, who is?

That said, Wii games look preeeeetty good via WiiU on my HDTV. Outputs at 1080p, upscaling is solid. About a million times better than my TV's upscaler, that's for sure.
I imagine it WOULD be easier though, because the Wii U's in some ways a much more evolved Wii rather than a completely foreign architecture and set up. Still, I imagine results would be unreliable and we'd be better off with a proper port job that took the care of ensuring games ran as well as they did on the Wii, but in HD.

And I am hoping it IS super easy compared to PS2 to PS3/Xbox to Xbox 360, because then we might actually see a good number of good HD updates rather than a few where there's a decent chance of things going horribly wrong (Silent Hill) or simply being unable to run as well, period (Zone of the Enders).
I chuckle every time I read "yes! now I will be able to play my backups of games I totally own!", yeah right...
There really is a thrill to having all or at least many of your games always there ready to be loaded up. It's part of the appeal of the VC and Steam actually, and possibly part of why DD's as popular of an option as it is.

Jac_Solar

I've missed out on why this makes a console so awesome. Several people seems to be really happy that PSP's and DS's have been cracked, and allows "homebrews".

Is it because you can run older console and PC games/emulate anything your portable can handle, and there are no region locks? While that is cool, the hype for this sort of thing seems to indicate more awesome stuff..

Anyone want to inform me?

KoopaPoopa

Neo Member
How can Nintendo not know where the vulnerability lies? Surely they have debug hardware that they can run the exploit on and just watch what happens?

The only reason to create a SHA-1 hash of something is to be able to run it again another time and check that you have the same source data. Maybe it's proof to nintendo that they have something that they don't want to actually release? If it's a hash of the encryption key, nintendo will get the same hash when they run it, and it's impossible for anyone to know what the key actually is.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Region free
Easy transfers
Usb loading.

Ill take it

USB Loading of illegally downloaded games
Cheats and Hacks in online games, rendering them almost unplayable

Not saying it will have an apocalyptic effect, but still... some people WILL use it for those 2 points above.

Eusis

It's hard for me to consider those as good enough though, not after how badly DS and PSP releases diminished despite amazing hardware numbers. Maybe the market for the games that are brought over from Japan really is contracting, but I do fear there's too much overlap with the people that want those games, and the people that know how to pirate them well, and the more they get used to expecting that the worse things will probably get for legitimate releases. Especially with this economy and Japan's exchange rate.

Shahed

People will do "other" things with a hacked Wii U and cover it in the cloak of "YAY Region free!"............

You're right. Some people will. But if the system was region free in the first place, it removes an incentive. I don't care about homebrew or emulating options. I just want to be able to play the games released in the US but not the EU. I never used the R4 card despite how prevalent it was. But I desperately want 3DS to be hacked so I can play certain games that won't release here. To think I could have missed out on 999 and Radiant Historia if the DS wasn't region free

If the system's were region free in the first place, I'd have no interest in systems being hacked

The Wii mode is completely separate from the Wii U... how could they "scan" for anything? Nintendo didn't have that kind of thing set up for the Wii, it's highly unlikely they have anything like that set up for the Wii U.

By that same logic, I can't scan my linux drive from my Windows because they are completely seperate (protip: you can).

The Wii mode isn't "seperate" as in not accessible... it's seperate only as in that it runs from a different mode. The Wii U can easily see and scan (if it wanted) anything from the Wii partition.

ArynCrinn

Banned
This is good news and good progress being this soon after launch, at this rate hopefully in two years we'll be where we are with the Wii homebrew and options related. The more open the system the better.

They've stated they plan to release GameCube games on the Wii U via Virtual Console right? If so, that means it can emulate gamecube games (likely due to sharing the same underlying architecture). I would be happy just to see atleast GameCube games emulated, unconverted to 1080p and also simultaneously displayed on the tablet controller.
It's absolutely possible/likely on a game by game basis, yeah. We're just not going to get a one size fits all solution.

I'll be surprised if they don't trot out Wind Waker HD sooner or later.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I've missed out on why this makes a console so awesome. Several people seems to be really happy that PSP's and DS's have been cracked, and allows "homebrews".

Is it because you can run older console and PC games/emulate anything your portable can handle, and there are no region locks? While that is cool, the hype for this sort of thing seems to indicate more awesome stuff..

Anyone want to inform me?
Region free is not some trivial feature. Have you ever wanted to play a region locked game that you know will never ever come to your country? You wouldn't understand the feeling unless you've been in the situation where your mouse cursor was hovering over "buy" for a $300 console that you already own just from a different country just to play 2 games, then you ultimately decide not to because it's financially irresponsible and the international shipping costs almost as much as the console itself. Then you look at one of the region locked games you already bought impulsively n anticipation of getting the console and weep. Rinse and repeat every few months.

It is a sadness. This is my story.

wrowa

I chuckle every time I read "yes! now I will be able to play my backups of games I totally own!", yeah right...
Did anyone in this thread even say this? Most people just want to circumvent the damn region lock. Believe me, it's no fun living in a country where many interesting games see a release a year later or not at all.

JazzmanZ

Nintendo managed to scare away 3rd parties all by themselves. There is no one else to blame than them.

if the Wii U continues to become more and more hackable it isn't going to help the situation itself either. More 3rd party support will be shunned away in fear of having their game pirated, and opt to release their games for the Sony or Microsoft platform instead.

Nintendo may of scared some away during the Wii era because of the graphics and motion controls, but the whole reason for the Wii U is to try and get those guys back again.

Meesh

Anybody know if existing Wii USB loaders currently work in Wii mode? It'd be great for me not having to drag out my discs every time. Also being able to play my Xenoblade copy (PAL) on WiiU.
I can't load any of them, which is why Wiimode HB kinda sucks right now...mostly good for roms and whatnot. Also channel forwarders don't work either yet.
What exactly are we able to do with the HBC on Wii U at this current time? Emulators hopefully?
Roger that :)

sakipon

Did anyone in this thread even say this? Most people just want to circumvent the damn region lock. Believe me, it's no fun living in a country where many interesting games see a release a year later or not at all.

If your game situation is that bad, why purchase a local console at all?

Eusis

The only way Region Locking can be a complete non-issue is if somehow we had a guarantee of every game hitting every region without any serious alterations, then it's a more minor issue of waiting and paying more/less. Which can still be frustrating too, but usually not "I'm considering importing a $300+ console" frustrating, not unless the difference is grotesque or you have so much money you couldn't give a damn.

Tmdean

Banned
It can also be generated from a encryption key. Or from a short word (password). But both don't make much sense to me in this situation

It would make perfect sense if they wanted to blackmail Nintendo. Nintendo is the only party that would currently be able to verify the authenticity of a hash of a cracked key. Just publicize the hash, tell Nintendo to send some money or you'll release the key, and
get arrested for extortion
. It's the perfect plan!

ArynCrinn

Banned
Hmmm

there's not much we CAN do but wait and see. Gosh I hope Nintendo doesn't react violently...

I wouldn't worry about that, looking at the Wii situation it's safe to say if the Wii U ends up as hacked as the Wii (or even more due to being a more spec attractive system) Nintendo won't do jack, just like the DS and Wii. Firmware updates will probably be the only recourse, and if they amount to nothing like the Wii they'll slow down.

So it may be that a hacked Wii U needs to stay offline and apply hacked updates and patches manually. But this soon after launch and us getting this news, is a good thing for people who enjoy full control of their hardware.

alright

stupid question alert, code red:
so what does "SHA-1 hash of the key" mean exactly???

It's a form of encryption, a "relatively" weak one (though still strong if implemented correctly). This is compared to the AES which if implemented correctly is more or less unbreakable. I doubt SHA-1 was used for anything system critical, but if Nintendo used it for something that could open the way for further hacks...

If I had to guess, this is likely a save encryption key. I honestly doubt Nintendo would use SHA-1 for anything too much more important than that. Having a save key would allow you to alter saves and thus look for exploits in games (like the original hacks on Wii and PSP)

Tagg9

alright

A hash is basically a shorter encryption of a longer key. For example, the key itself could be 1024 characters long but it hashes to 32 characters. Because of this, there are a lot of "collisions" (ie. many longer keys than hash to the exact same 32 character key).

But because the algorithm used to generate the hash from the original key is so complex, it's computationally infeasible to generate a list of all keys that have the same hash.

Tmdean

Banned
alright

A cryptographic hash is an algorithm that can be applied to any type of data that has the properties that

1. It always provides the same output for the same data.
2. It doesn't provide any information about the nature of the original data - i.e. it can't be reversed.

One common use for hashes is to store passwords in a database. When your users create a password, only the hash is stored. When someone tries to log in, you hash their provided password input and compare it to the value stored in the database.

Then, if the database is compromised, only the hashes of the passwords will be available. Since hashes can't be reversed, the attacker won't be able to get the original passwords, which are much more valuable.

It's a form of encryption, a "relatively" weak one (though still strong if implemented correctly). This is compared to the AES which if implemented correctly is more or less unbreakable. I doubt SHA-1 was used for anything system critical, but if Nintendo used it for something that could open the way for further hacks...

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're talking about. Hashes are related to encryption and have applications in encryption but they aren't a form of encryption. And SHA-1 isn't a weak hash. You're probably thinking of MD5.

Could this mean region free gaming sooner than we think :)

Depends on what it means by what you think, and it also depends on how Nintendo handles region checking and on what level this hack gets you to.

If this is a simple "user mode" type hack, it by itself will never lead to region free or playing backed up games, but it could allow for running unsigned code. This in itself may be enough for other hackers to find ways to elevate it's priviledges.

Top Bottom