• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U hacked?

I hope it never gets hacked enough to play "back-ups". It could be a dagger for them. Really the only positive for it being hacked would be to make it region-free, and that's only relevant if you like obscure JPN games, which a very small% of the market does. I just hope it doesn't get hacked.

I hope it never gets hacked enough to play "back-ups". It could be a dagger for them. Really the only positive for it being hacked would be to make it region-free, and that's only relevant if you like obscure JPN games, which a very small% of the market does. I just hope it doesn't get hacked.

I guess you forget all about the games NOE had that NOA did not bring.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

It wouldn't surprise me if they have full game back up capability by the end of the month. The development tool chain is already in place.

totowhoa

Banned
Xenoblade and that other one, right? Weren't they more anomalies than anything else, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last story, pandoras tower, disaster day of crisis, another code, fatal frame ... others I'm sure, but xeno was the only one I was interested in.

People who live in the EU or AUS will import English games from NA that either take a very long time to release over there or never come out at all.

nikatapi

Ηοpefully the homebrew community will find many creative applications if the console is hacked, imagine a dreamcast emulator playing on the gamepad, that would be awesome.
Unfortunately there will be people who will take advantage of hacking in order to play pirated games, which sucks.
But there is great promise in homebrew apps once the ball gets rolling with the hacking.

Code Brown Code Brown Code Brown

Nintendo_HQ.000.jpg

Xenoblade and The Last Story both made it to the US. Pandora's Tower and Project Zero 2 did not.

Like I said, obscure JPN games that only a niche segment of the market care about. I haven't even heard of those last two. I don't see how region-free would be this incredible benefit when barely anyone will take advantage of it, while the opposite would be true for piracy/"back-ups", which is why I don't want it to get hacked.

Ηοpefully the homebrew community will find many creative applications if the console is hacked, imagine a dreamcast emulator playing on the gamepad, that would be awesome.
Unfortunately there will be people who will take advantage of hacking in order to play pirated games, which sucks.
But there is great promise in homebrew apps once the ball gets rolling with the hacking.

While certainly not the norm, a few developers of Homebrew on their systems went on to be licensed developers. The most prominent of which being the people behind Colours! on the 3DS... that started as a DS homebrew. If he couldn't make that on the DS, he most likely would never have gotten a license and made it on 3DS.

I am mostly interested in Gamepad being able to read most media types [video, music, documents, etc.] and Wii games being playable on it; I really don't care for other efforts.

Shiggy

Like I said, obscure JPN games that only a niche segment of the market care about. I haven't even heard of those last two. I don't see how region-free would be this incredible benefit when barely anyone will take advantage of it, while the opposite would be true for piracy/"back-ups", which is why I don't want it to get hacked.

I think Nintendo will still release their games no matter how high the piracy rate will be. 3rd parties will probably also continue to do business as usual (i.e. not care about Nintendo).

It is mostly PAL users not wanting to wait for NOE to localize games.

Nah, plenty of time to hack from his jail cell... ;).

The only person who got sued was GeoHotz, I'm not even sure if he was a member of FailOverFlow. Indeed his initial hacks preceeded them (he managed to get a hack working via Linux mode... he was the reason OtherOS was removed). The only reason why GeoHotz got sued is because he publically released the PS3 and PSP public keys (allowing you to sign any program as if it was made by Sony themselves) but I'm not even sure if he managed to get the code himself, or if he simply was the one to ultimately decided to release it.

The Boat

As much as I want region free and the ability to install games, I don't think it would/will be safe to hack the Wii U. With an account system and regular updates, they can easily ban you and make it a hassle to keep homebrew. Not only that I've heard that customer support usually fucks you over if you have homebrew.

Roo

I don't mind Homebrew on Wii U. Actually, I think it could bring some great things to the table with the gamepad.

What really worries me and pisses the shit out of me is when I face cheaters and hackers while I'm playing online. It really ruins the online experience

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
As much as I want region free and the ability to install games, I don't think it would/will be safe to hack the Wii U. With an account system and regular updates, they can easily ban you and make it a hassle to keep homebrew. Not only that I've heard that customer support usually fucks you over if you have homebrew.

Is that Conan O'Brien in the avatar... just lol!

Hmm...has anybody noticed that the sha1sum in fail0verflow blog's entry has changed?

It used to be:

27181eb3cc988732fc416563c6f21b4a34b88a05

Now is:

3d331b3165f9638c6cd6221702b2f736f7fcf931

Tagg9

Hmm...has anybody noticed that the sha1sum in fail0verflow blog's entry has changed?

It used to be:

Now is:

Wow, lol. So whatever it was they got, it was wrong the first time?

Dachande

Oh, how good for you. Fortunately for everyone else, you're not the only person in the world. Those of us suffering under NoE, Atlus and other companies who are historically terrible at bringing over games to Europe rather do hope it gets hacked to allow region unlocking so we aren't left out in the cold. But hey, "fuck you, got mine", right?

Burai

shitonmychest57

Excitebots never made it to PAL. Fucking EXCITEBOTS. Criminal.

It used to be:

Now is:

What does this mean and why does it say 8 days? Are they revealing something 8 days from now?

good news if true. all i want is portable emulation on the gamepad (which would be awesome), region free, and usb loading off an external hard drive. oh, and forced 1080p mode on wii u games would be nice too :p

Meesh

Region free is a huge benefit man, there were lots of games I imported for Wii just to take advantage of this feature. It's true most will hack their wiiu for piracy, but for the rest of us it's a saving grace. Fatal Frame, Monster Hunter G, Itadaki Street, and the DQ collection were some of my faves.

wsippel

Banned

It used to be:

Now is:

fail0verflow made a mistake and corrected the SHA1, that's all.

Because it took them 8 days to hack it.

Ahh ok. Thought they might be showing something off at that hacking conference in 8 days. Isn't it usually this time of year? Being based on such an old processor is going to ensure the easiness of hacking the wii u. I'd say within a few months games will be playing off external hard drives.

Darko

good news if true. all i want is portable emulation on the gamepad (which would be awesome), region free, and usb loading off an external hard drive. oh, and forced 1080p mode on wii u games would be nice too :p

and a xbox 360 and ps3 emulator too... and for it to make cupcakes.

Jockel

Ahh ok. Thought they might be showing something off at that hacking conference in 8 days. Isn't it usually this time of year? Being based on such an old processor is going to ensure the easiness of hacking the wii u. I'd say within a few months games will be playing off external hard drives.
It's December 27th to 30th. I might go there.

x3sphere

Wii U will get hacked to shreds due to all the anti-consumer decisions they made (region locking, console-bound NNIDs). If piracy is rampant Nintendo really can only blame themselves. PS3 took a very long time to hack and guess what, it was the most open console of the bunch by far.

Wii U will get hacked to shreds due to all the anti-consumer decisions they made (region locking, console-bound NNIDs). If piracy is rampant Nintendo really can only blame themselves. PS3 took a very long time to hack and guess what, it was the most open console of the bunch by far.

What a load of bullshit. These people hack consoles because they can, not because they have some noble Robin Hood agenda, looking out for us customers.

The WiiU is the follow up console to the Wii, one of the biggest homebrew plattforms out there. I guess that has more to do with that.

The PS3 also has a seemingly much better security setup than the WiiU.

x3sphere

What a load of bullshit. These people hack consoles because they can, not because they have some noble Robin Hood agenda, looking out for us customers.

The WiiU is the follow up console to the Wii, one of the biggest homebrew plattforms out there. I guess that has more to do with that.

The PS3 also has a seemingly much better security setup than the WiiU.

Who knows how it compares to Wii U but fail0verflow called the PS3 security an 'epic failure', so no it wasn't that good. And iirc, their motivation for hacking it initially was Sony's removal of OtherOS.

To the first part of your post, I'm not saying these guys are acting out for the greater good of consumers, but there's plenty of talented hackers that want region-free games on their console... so it's going to accelerate things. PS2 had a huge homebrew scene too by the way.

Wii U mode hasn't been hacked yet, why are all of you assuming it is?

Actually, we know for a fact it has... That's how marcan was able to get things like clock rates (you won't find clockrate info stamped on a chip). That doesn't mean he has a working sharable exploit though. For all we know, the only way he's gotten any access to the Wii U is by soldering a development board directly to it.

We can be 100% certain that Marcan has done the things he says he has, he has no reason to lie and is a long time member of both the PS3 and Wii hacking scenes... but just because he himself has gotten into the system does not mean that he can get everyone or even anyone else in.

Oh, how good for you. Fortunately for everyone else, you're not the only person in the world. Those of us suffering under NoE, Atlus and other companies who are historically terrible at bringing over games to Europe rather do hope it gets hacked to allow region unlocking so we aren't left out in the cold. But hey, "fuck you, got mine", right?

Sorry bud...didn't mean to come off like that

Jomjom

Banned
Sorry bud...didn't mean to come off like that

You came off that way to me too. Just because a game isn't known to the COD loving masses, doesn't mean it doesn't matter. If Nintendo is not willing to take even a slight risk (proven now to be a risk that paid off in the case of Last Story) of bringing over a game that a smaller, yet still important segment of their fans then in my mind they deserve to get hacked. If they don't respect that segment of their fanbase to bring something over even if they might lose a bit of money (but gain a lot of goodwill) then they shouldn't expect respect in return.

Top Bottom