• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U has 2GB of DDR3 RAM, [Up: RAM 43% slower than 360/PS3 RAM]

QaaQer

Welp. said:
Does anyone seriously think the Wii U will stand up to next-gen consoles, still?

yes. I think the argument goes 1) "edram will solve the problem" 2) "sony ms will release wii u level hardware because everybody is poor now" and/or 3) "everyone will develop for wii u because developing for 720/orbis would bankrupt them".

Instro

With a system update? What about if someone never connects to the internet? Can they still play the game?

Don't devs have to cater to the lowest common denominator?

Um they've already done this with the 3DS, freeing up memory and cpu resources. Force an update when you insert the game, pretty simple, just like how they forced Wii updates.

Erethian

...Something seems off. Devs never complained about the RAM being slow before....

There's a difference between the RAM being slow and the RAM having low bandwidth. DDR3 is the latter.

Rumours are Microsoft will be going with a similar setup, albeit with a lot more GBs of RAM.

pulsemyne

I know that's whats being said but what I'm trying to pin down is where is the info coming from that each interface is 16bit? Nobody's said they've found that on the board AFAICS, in the op it says:

I'm just wondering how the 256x16 bit implies 16bit I/O per DRAM? Obviously it being an implication means its being assumed based on the RAM configuration of 256MBx16, and I'm not sure how that works. RAM bus configurations aren't my strong point.

I'm not trying to say anyones wrong by the way, I just like to understand things :D

From what I understand from samsungs site and a simular module being produced by another company it's basically a tweaked version of GDDR 3 that's designed for low power requirements. So it's nearly as fast but runs much cooler. So there's no real mystery to it now. The part number tells us exactly what itis.
Anyway this type of memory is going to be used heavily in low power laptops in the future. It's pretty new tech.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory...R3_Memory_with_Lowered_Power_Consumption.html

This is SK hynix's stuff and it's only just began mass production. It seem's simular to samsungs stuff.

So it's not old tech blah blah blah, it's nice and new.

Um they've already done this with the 3DS, freeing up memory and cpu resources. Force an update when you insert the game, pretty simple, just like how they forced Wii updates.
Isn't the system update 1GB? How big is the WiiU disc?

Edit: 25GB as per wikipedia. Hmm.. Well I guess that would be okay.

pulsemyne

nope it's much newer. It may end up finding it's way into low power desktop cards even. Fit's right in with nintendo's want to make a low power consumption system.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They won this time.

This is fine, having PS360 performance so third parties can cheaply support the system while they're working on Mario Kart, SSB, Zelda etc, then first party is the only thing that's going to matter.

They only need third parties while they don't have enough to support the system alone, and that will take less than a year.
I don't agree with the sentiment that 3rd parties should be a backup initially, and not be important afterwards. It's the same reason why a lot of us stayed away from the Wii: the neglect of 3rd party support is unacceptable, and I couldn't imagine only playing Nintendo first party titles today, your just missing out on so many great experiences.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The lowercase 'g' will get confusing for some. But whoop de doo, portable device intended ram in a home console system. The quest for small form factor has reached a cutting off nose to spite face scenario really.

I don't think any culture would have banished a box moderately bigger than the current Wii U if it meant getting more longevity out of such a tech purchase. But then I guess Nintendo also wouldnt want to drop any cash on further cooling methods. Scrooge McIwata.

AzaK

question is, will they? given how crappy their apparent memory management is, I would say they don't have much flexibility in that ballpark... especially since the internet browser is designed to run in parallel with games. Now if they could utilize a swap and page memory between RAM and flash, then we might be on to something.

it's seriously mindboggling, one system app runs at a time and it's given the entire 1GB of system RAM to work with? this seems like what's happening anyway.. given that loading up the system settings menu takes 15-20 secs... I mean, even if the system settings binary was 100 MB (which it really shouldn't be), it shouldn't take that long to load the entire thing from flash memory to RAM and start the application.

As I said, they either have a filesystem that doesn't actually cache blocks (unlikely), or they have released a DEBUG build of the OS (unlikely : )) or the Flash is really, really slow (I'd put money on this one of the three) ;)

It's not GDDR3, I believe it's standard DDR3 found in all current PCs

He said g (lowercase) which is different to G (uppercase).

Donnie

The lowercase 'g' will get confusing for some. But whoop de doo, portable device intended ram in a home console system. The quest for small form factor has reached a cutting off nose to spite face scenario really.

I don't think any culture would have banished a box moderately bigger than the current Wii U if it meant getting more longevity out of such a tech purchase. But then I guess Nintendo also wouldnt want to drop any cash on further cooling methods. Scrooge McIwata.

Well lets not forget that it does have a latency advantage as well (although if power was no issue I suppose they could have gotten nearly as low latency using 1000Mhz GDDR3 with 32GB/s bandwidth).

Tactics

The questions regarding gDDR3 have already been answered in this thread. See below for the question answered by Durante:

No one seems to be able to answer this question...

Where in that samsung pdf does it say the Wii u ram is DDR 3??

The chip id number points to GDDdr 3. Not arguing wether its better or not, im just confused why people keep saying it's DDR 3

Read the thread, this has already been covered. It's gDDR3, which is DDR3 for a specific type of mounting.

EDIT: Here's the original explanation by AlStrong:

It just means it's DDR3 for graphics board integration (i.e. 1:1 tracing from DRAM to processor) rather than DIMMs. There are PC graphics cards that use DDR3, which would actually be considered "gDDR3", but hey... there's the naming confusion and all.

"GDDR3" is a separate technology altogether.

Reallink

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in 21 pages, but my nonsense searches aren't really turning up anything specific. In dirt simple terms, what exactly would the benefit of faster RAM be? Would it make it much easier to do things like reach higher frame rates, attain higher render resolutions, and stream higher res textures? If so, how much of a difference would you really be talking about--significant, marginal, minor? On a similar note, what is your standard DDR3 RAM used for in PC gaming?

Perkel

Banned
They can free up more RAM over time.

Sure they can but 100MB up or down don't matter that much.

Are you basing this off PC specs? Because that doesn't mean a thing in the context of consoles.

And textures used for PC releases are different to console ones .... not. 1GB for console is actually worse than 1GB vram on PC because on PC you can offload a lot of things in normal ram pool which consoles don't have.

It's not a PC, it's a console, devs making console games needs to optimize for it. And GTA4 is a bad example, it's badly optimized, even for the PC. And have you seen how Crytek used tesselation in Crysis 2 on the PC? Yeah, they just flipped the switch and turned it on, using 10 billion polygons for the water, even when you don't even see the water, it's beneath the concrete you're walking on. If they did that on the PS4/Durango, it will cripple those consoles as well.

GTA4 was badly optimized because most of PC didn't have as good CPU as in consoles back then. Shadows, textures are the one which takes most of ram. When fully loaded on veryhigh spec it is above 1GB. No amount of trickery will shrink it.

As of Crysis. I'm not talking about tesselation but Ram. Fully loaded Crysis2 with max textures even without tesselation is above and beyond 1GB.

Close platform has benefits but you can't make 1GB of compressed already textures 500MB without any quality downgrade.

Rolf NB

Well lets not ignore the fact that it does have a latency advantage as well.
Except it doesn't. Absolute CAS latency of Samsung's current GDDR3 is 11.5 ns, vs 13+ns for gDDR3.

This memory was chosen because it was cheap. No other reason or logic ever entered the picture.

pulsemyne

Except it doesn't. Absolute CAS latency of Samsung's current GDDR3 is 11.5 ns, vs 13+ns for gDDR3.

This memory was chosen because it was cheap. No other reason or logic ever entered the picture.

It's very unlikely it's cheap as it's only just started mass production. It's been chosen for it's power consumption.

Donnie

Who said anything about 100MB? PS3's OS usage more than halved within a year or so of its release.

And textures used for PC releases are different to console ones .... not. 1GB for console is actually worse than 1GB vram on PC because on PC you can offload a lot of things in normal ram pool which consoles don't have.

They aren't different no but they are treated differently.

Donnie

Erm, 1066Mhz gDDR3 vs 700Mhz GDDR3, you're telling me the later will have lower latency?

Erethian

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere in 21 pages, but my nonsense searches aren't really turning up anything specific. In dirt simple terms, what exactly would the benefit of faster RAM be? Would it make it much easier to do things like reach higher frame rates, attain higher render resolutions, and stream higher res textures? If so, how much of a difference would you really be talking about--significant, marginal, minor? On a similar note, what is your standard DDR3 RAM used for in PC gaming?

Graphics cards have to deal with large amounts of data (like texture data), which is why they use GDDR. Also they have ways to negate the higher latency somewhat.

The DDR3 in your PC is your system/CPU memory. It doesn't make much sense to use GDDR for OS functionality, which is why Microsoft and Sony will more than likely go with DDR3 over GDDR instead. Unless they use a split memory pool.

Tactics

In regard to a similar question this explanation was given earlier in the thread:

First of all, there are 2 separate metrics of interest for memory (well, there are even more, but these are the most important): bandwidth and latency. Both of those impact a huge variety of algorithms and general things a CPU or GPU might do. Generally, bandwidth mostly affects the speed of streaming computations (like those you might find on a GPU or n a CPU using SIMD), while latency mostly affects code that traverses data structures in memory (e.g. lists or trees) -- which is a lot of what any program does. Basically, almost everything is affected to some degree by memory speed.

defferoo

As I said, they either have a filesystem that doesn't actually cache blocks (unlikely), or they have released a DEBUG build of the OS (unlikely : )) or the Flash is really, really slow (I'd put money on this one of the three) ;)

yeah, if it's the 3rd one, i will be sad. one of the main benefits of flash memory over having a hard drive is that it's faster.... it should have been a priority to make the user experience of the system software less frustrating, especially considering they're positioning this console as a multi-media device in addition to a game console

i-Lo

Honestly, in a closed system every single MB counts. Which is why I am hoping for the sake of third and Nintendo's 1st parties that the size is reduced with further updates to OS. It's all the more critical because WiiU as is evident by this thread doesn't have quite the type of RAM most were expecting.

Hilarious, but the fact is technology advances in efficiency as well as in raw performance and many of the features supported by WiiU were nowhere to be seen in 2005.

The issue here is why the hell does Nintendo care so much about efficiency and being low wattage? To me it sounds like an excuse to cheap out and make the console less powerful. People say it's for the Japanese because they like smaller consoles but Japan is only 1 of the 3 big territories, and probably the smallest of the 3. So this makes no sense. This is a home console, not a portable, so the size shouldn't be a big deal.

Rolf NB

Erm, 1066Mhz gDDR3 vs 700Mhz GDDR3, you're telling me the later will have lower latency?
Yes.

edit: actually ... not at 700MHz, no.

Taken from the Samsung's own data sheets, allowable CAS latency for GDD3@700MHz is 10 clocks ( => 14.3ns delay), while it is 14 clocks for gDDR3@1066MHz ( => 13.1ns delay). So whoop-de-doo, at gDDR3's maximum allowed clock frequency, at least one latency figure is better than GDDR3 at its absolute lowest frequency anyone even still cares documenting.

... but then again, the GDDR3 chips can go up to 1300MHz, and start posting lower latencies starting at 1000MHz. 12 clocks. 12ns. Only gets better from there. GDDR5, don't even ask.

Perkel

Banned
Who said anything about 100MB? PS3's OS usage more than halved within a year or so of its release.

Who said Wii U even use whole 1GB for system ? We don't know what is Wii U os memory footprint. It could be that Wii U Os is something like 200-300 mb and rest is used for apps and it's multitasking same as Vita has 128 game vram and 512ram for apps and multitasking.

No way in hell Wii U os is 1GB that doesn't make any sence since more advanced and way bigger Os like Win 7 is like 700-900MB.

They aren't different no but they are treated differently.

Sure but consoles need to more things than just textures in their memory and that is - not a +. What i said about GTA and Crysis2 is that Vram on PC is used mainly for textures, shadows effects etc and yet without all other things it is way beyond 1GB.

vanilla High texture pack for GTA4 is alone almost 600MB and don't ask what is size of Crysis2highres texture size...

Mr Swine

Banned
The issue here is why the hell does Nintendo care so much about efficiency and being low wattage? To me it sounds like an excuse to cheap out and make the console less powerful. People say it's for the Japanese because they like smaller consoles but Japan is only 1 of the 3 big territories, and probably the smallest of the 3. So this makes no sense. This is a home console, not a portable, so the size shouldn't be a big deal.

By your logic people should be happy to have really hot and powerhog CPU:s like the Phenom II vs the cool and effiecient i5-2500k? Where people have to invest on a really large fan that sounds like a aero plane?

Reallink

In regard to a similar question this explanation was given earlier in the thread:

Yea my moronic searches managed to turn that tidbit up, but he didn't really mention specifically what faster RAM might do (e.g. high frame rates, high resolutions, better textures, ect...).

Donnie

Well I can't say exactly why Nintendo do what they do but I don't think spending lots of time to make things as powerful as possible at a very low power usage and small form factor is the best way to save money. You could do it cheaper if you targeted the same performance without worrying about size or power usage.

Anyway my post earlier was just a flippant way to point out that we really can't claim this is "Just what Wii would have been if Nintendo put out a competitive console". Because firstly the technology wasn't available back then(DX10.1 ect) and secondly we don't know anything about the GPU and not much about the CPU yet.

Einbroch

Banned
By your logic people should be happy to have really hot and powerhog CPU:s like the Phenom II vs the cool and effiecient i5-2500k? Where people have to invest on a really large fan that sounds like a aero plane?
Of course people want quiet, cheap, and small. But at the expense of power? That's what he's saying.

What are you even talking about?

Perkel

Banned
I start to think that Nintendo did a good job with introducing only DDR3 ram type.

When you have only 1GB ram for games you won't use high quality assets like high res textures so Ram speed don't matter that much.

If case was different like it would have 2GB or more for very high quality assets high speed ram would be crucial to system.

gogogow

Even though there's a loss per console, I think uh....Nintendo actually wants to make some money in the very near future. "State of the art tech" and we are looking at PS3/360 losses. It might not be an bad idea to make a "not so powerful" console for this cycle, since it's so uncertain where the console market is heading in this new generation.

Donnie

Who said Wii U even use whole 1GB for system ? We don't know what is Wii U os memory footprint. It could be that Wii U Os is something like 200-300 mb and rest is used for apps and it's multitasking same as Vita has 128 game vram and 512ram for apps and multitasking.

No way in hell Wii U os is 1GB that doesn't make any sence since more advanced and way bigger Os like Win 7 is like 700-900MB.

Of course the OS won't take 1GB, the 1GB will be reserved to ensure that Nintendo can add to the OS and add other apps if needed without effecting games. Once they've nailed everything down they could then look at freeing up some of the RAM they don't end up using. Nintendo are very conservative so I wouldn't be surprised if 1GB is far more than they're actually using for the OS (including apps) currently.

Sure but consoles need to more things than just textures in their memory and that is - not a +. What i said about GTA and Crysis2 is that Vram on PC is used mainly for textures, shadows effects etc and yet without all other things it is way beyond 1GB.

vanilla High texture pack for GTA4 is alone almost 600MB and don't ask what is size of Crysis2highres texture size...

There's also a completely different level of optimisation that goes on in a console, which is very much a plus.

Kosma

Banned
I start to think that Nintendo did a good job with introducing only DDR3 ram type.

When you have only 1GB ram for games you won't use high quality assets like high res textures so Ram speed don't matter that much.

If case was different like it would have 2GB or more for very high quality assets high speed ram would be crucial to system.

Not sure if joking.

Top Bottom