• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U has 2GB of DDR3 RAM, [Up: RAM 43% slower than 360/PS3 RAM]

pestul

I wonder just how much bandwidth the eDRAM has... At the very least it has to be over 20GB/sec to match the Wii's 3MB + 24MB 1T-SRAM aggregate bandwidth, but that's still slow for a modern HD system.

I wish a dev would just leak the specs somewhere they're unlikely to be traced.

If it's anything like the eDRAM on the Power 7 architecture, probably >100GB/sec.

v1oz

GC had bottlenecks. The poly performance was behind the PS2 and xbox for example.
Only on spec sheets but in the real world poly performance was a lot closer. There are bottlenecks which stopped the PS2 and Xbox from reaching anywhere near their published peak rates. Whereas the GC had more predictable performance, easily matching published specs and exceeding the PS2 in real games poly performance. Which is why the GC generally had better performance on multi platform games and exclusive titles like Rebel Strike & Star Fox Adventures far exceeded PS2 games at the time.

KageMaru

So what does this means in terms of real life performance?

You can store more in memory but do less with it at a time basically.

I thought Durante put it well with this quote on what it means compared to the lower amount, but faster, memory in the PS360:

E.g. one might give you better texture variety while the other gives you better filtering quality.

Edit:

Only on spec sheets but in the real world poly performance was a lot closer. There are bottlenecks which stopped the PS2 and Xbox from reaching anywhere near their published peak rates. Whereas the GC had more predictable performance and exceeded the PS2 in real games poly performance. Which is why the GC generally had better performance on multi platform games and exclusive titles like Rebel Strike & Star Fox Adventures far exceeded PS2 games at the time.

It had better performance because it had more memory and faster chips. That doesn't mean the poly count wasn't a bottleneck.

Also, just like this gen, comparing exclusives is pointless.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder just how much bandwidth the eDRAM has... At the very least it has to be over 20GB/sec to match the Wii's 3MB + 24MB 1T-SRAM aggregate bandwidth, but that's still slow for a modern HD system.

I wish a dev would just leak the specs somewhere they're unlikely to be traced.

wouldn't edram be in the high tens of GB/s if not higher?

plus if exploited well, its not only faster, but removes reads/writes to main memory too, which puts less burden on the main memory (so you can 'get away' with slower ram)

eg fetch texture from main memory, fuck about with it in the GPU, then write it back to main memory (frame buffer), and eventually write to the screen

with edram you can grab the texture (one hit on main memory), fuck about with it, write it to edram frame buffer (or working space too hopefully), then write to the screen. assuming you do that a ton of times per frame, it can be a big advantage.

Omni

Don't really understand this tech talk, but I came into this thread to ask... How does the WiiU compare to the 360/PS3? I remember people saying a while back that it was 2x as powerful or something.

MultiCore

Don't really understand this tech talk, but I came into this thread to ask... How does the WiiU compare to the 360/PS3? I remember people saying a while back that it was 2x as powerful or something.

If you want to take the port performance at launch as a face value performance measurement, then it's worse than both.

ozfunghi

So, this is in fact the reverse situation from GCN vs Xbox...? Back then the fanboys were shouting more was better than faster, and now it's the other way around i presume, right?

Azih

The WiiU is a Nintendo game player device, pure and simple.

You want Mario Galaxy 3? You buy a Wii U. The end.

Honestly with Kinect most probably being built in to the 720 I don't think the WiiU will be the go to choice for party games either.

DonMigs85

So, this is in fact the reverse situation from GCN vs Xbox...? Back then the fanboys were shouting more was better than faster, and now it's the other way around i presume, right?

GameCube's RAM was very low-latency, but had only about half the bandwidth of the Xbox's 200MHZ DDR RAM. It was much better than PS2's RDRAM though - almost the same peak bandwidth and much lower latency.

Xbox was really a beast last gen. At one point in development Microsoft even contemplated going with 128MB and leaving the HDD out.

v1oz

It had better performance because it had more memory and faster chips. That doesn't mean the poly count wasn't a bottleneck.

Technically the GC had a slower GPU chip (triangle throughput wise) but it wasn't a bottleneck because it had enough performance to run DX7 level games of the time and it was well balanced with the rest of the chips. Therefore you could easily achieve near peak performance without being slowed down by anything else in the system. A bottleneck is when you have something inherent to the design that acts like a constriction preventing you from using all the chips to their full potential. For example if the GC GPU was too fast, the CPU would not be able to keep up causing bottlenecks.

For example The PS2 GPU had a massive fillrate but you couldn't make effective use of it because you were hampered by a lack of vertex processing power. On the Xbox you were severely bandwidth limited and CPU limited, so you could never achieve anything near the peak throughput in actual games. The GPU was too powerful and therefore under utilized. Those bottlenecks are what kept the Gamecube both competitive and cheaper to produce.

vocab

Wait. I'm just starting to read up on Wii U specs. Why is the ram slower than Xbox360? I mean......its 2012 :(
Honestly, there's no logical answer. It's just Nintendo being Nintendo. It's just their hd solution. They don't give a shit about being first in hardware. Japan pays their bills. This is the company who is about 10 years behind in networking experience.

Amir0x

Banned
jesus...christ. This is legitimately going to make some larger world games impossible to port over without huge sacrifices once PS4 and Xbox 720 come out.

If it's not one thing it's another with Nintendo. :/

v1oz

jesus...christ. This is legitimately going to make some larger world games impossible to port over without huge sacrifices once PS4 and Xbox 720 come out.

Yes. Probably the worst news about the WiiU is this estimated 12.8 GB/s memory. The funny bit is that people buying the WiiU for Christmas probably expect it to be decent step up from current gen.

Iwata has talked about diminishing returns. The WiiU GPU supposedly has a modern feature set. So hopefully they placed some good bets and difference between multiplat PS4/X720 games and the WiiU will be more like the difference between playing Witcher 2 maxed out on a PC and running it on Xbox 360. They are both beautiful.

KageMaru

Vague multipliers have no meaning. It can be up to 4x more powerful in some respects but half as slow in others. The demands of each individual game, plus how well it's optimized for the specific hardware, will determine how it performs compared to the PS360.

Technically the GC had a slower GPU chip (triangle throughput wise) but it wasn't a bottleneck because it had enough performance to run DX7 level games of the time and it was well balanced with the rest of the chips. Therefore you could easily achieve near peak performance without being slowed down by anything else in the system. A bottleneck is when you have something inherent to the design that acts like a constriction preventing you from using all the chips to their full potential. For example if the GC GPU was too fast, the CPU would not be able to keep up causing bottlenecks.

For example The PS2 GPU had a massive fillrate but you couldn't make effective use of it because you were hampered by a lack of vertex processing power. On the Xbox you were severely bandwidth limited and CPU limited, so you could never achieve anything near the peak throughput in actual games. The GPU was too powerful and therefore under utilized. Those bottlenecks are what kept the Gamecube both competitive and cheaper to produce.

I know what a bottleneck is, but I wasn't referring to the architectures of each system, I was talking in comparison to the PS2 and xbox.

Also you're off on some of this. For example, I wouldn't say the xbox was bottlenecked by the CPU at all and a dev here even said the GPU was around 3x faster than what's in the GC. So IF the CPU was a bottleneck in that system, it sure didn't seem like it. Also the PS2's fillrate was essential to the multi-pass rendering the system used.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Actually, I think larger world games wouldn't be badly affected by this. The larger overall ram could help with buffering.
With a game like tekken, in theory you could have nearly 1GB just for two characters and a small environment, and you'd suffer trying to get that much memory read in the space of a frame.

With a streaming engines open world game, more of the ram would be for buffering, so less of the ram would due needed t draw your immediate surroundings, putting less stress on the ram.

Residen Evil 4 isn't a exclusive and tells a whole different story.

PS2 peak poly numbers are just wet paper.

KageMaru

Residen Evil 4 isn't a exclusive and tells a whole different story.

PS2 peak poly numbers are just wet paper.

It was designed as an exclusive, there's no getting around this fact. That game played to the strength of the GC while PS2 exclusives play to the strengths of the PS2 and would likely not look as good if ported to the GC.

Edit:

This only confirms what arkam said "years" ago ... so where is the surprise?

I'm sorry but do you have a quote? I forgot what was said.

lherre

Accurate
I'm sorry but do you have a quote? I forgot what was said.

Basically he said that the memory was slower than 360/ps3 and nobody believed him.

Not sure where was that, I think in the speculation threads. I'm sure a lot of people here remember that.

Reiko

Banned

Watch Dogs is what I'm waiting to see.

Basically he said that the memory was slower than 360/ps3 and nobody believed him.

Not sure where was that, I think in the speculation threads. I'm sure a lot of people here remember that.

Oh, we remember. I can only speak for myself, but when arkam said "slow RAM," I took it to mean DDR3 or something w/ a low clock frequency. It's the 64-bit bus that seems truly damning.

KageMaru

I don't need a direct quote, thanks. I just wasn't on GAF years ago so I was curious. =p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This only confirms what arkam said "years" ago ... so where is the surprise?

I thought that was about 6 months ago. From what we're seeing though, he was absolutely accurate. I remember everyone in the WUST being so hesitant to believe him because of how ridiculous it sounded. Looks like Nintendo went the "ridiculous" route.

TheExodu5

Banned

This doesn't mean streaming/buffering issues for open world games. The hard disk or disc drive are still the bottleneck there. The only bottleneck here is for processes that start and end in memory (i.e. pre-process filters/transforms such as texture filtering and MSAA).

Honestly, there's no logical answer. It's just Nintendo being Nintendo. It's just their hd solution. They don't give a shit about being first in hardware. Japan pays their bills. This is the company who is about 10 years behind in networking experience.

A bit blunt, but I think you hit the nail on the head with the bolded segment. This is Nintendo's HD solution. It's enough power to give all their franchises a significant shot in the arm. When it comes to ports, I think Nintendo still honestly holds to the Wii philosophy. They would rather have unique entries in a series (even if they are spinoffs) that utilize the Gamepad. Next gen ports are not a concern. I think Nintendo's strategy is to rope in a few more core gamers than they had on Wii with this initial batch of 3rd party offerings, and then when those franchises jump to 720/PS4, if 3rd parties feel it is worth it, Wii U will get a unique game ala AC: Liberation on Vita, for example. Hey, at the very least, the Wii U is powerful enough that we won't be stuck with only the rail shooter version of top franchises...right guys?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Perhaps these numbers are taken out of context?

TheExodu5

Banned
This doesn't mean streaming/buffering issues for open world games. The hard disk or disc drive are still the bottleneck there. The only bottleneck here is for processes that start and end in memory (i.e. pre-process filters/transforms such as texture filtering and MSAA).

Quoting myself here...anyone know how shaders are applied to a scene? Is the framebuffer rewritten to the memory after every shader pass? Can the framebuffer fit in the EDRAM if that's the case?

MechaX

The problem is that Nintendo did not have the PS4 and 720 in mind when they were making the WiiU; it seemed as if all they were focused on is cutting into the third party pie of current gen games.

It might work to their advantage if Sony really wants to bleed out the PS3 for as long as humanly possible without a major jump (and if the 360 recuses in the same manner). But for the most part, this is probably going to be another Wii scenario all over again. Not "doom and gloom" or anything like that, but another case of Nintendo clearly standing quite solitary in their own home console.

but another case of Nintendo clearly standing quite solitary in their own home console.

Which not to be doom and gloom, is not a good situation for them in the west because their Wii Sports type sales are over.

beril

Quoting myself here...anyone know how shaders are applied to a scene? Is the framebuffer rewritten to the memory after every shader pass? Can the framebuffer fit in the EDRAM if that's the case?

Eh, shaders are applied to everything that's rendered and the frame buffer is writtern to for every triangle rendered.

I'm guessing what you're actually meaning to talk about is post effects. In which cast you'll have to have a at least a couple of frame buffers to toggle between while rendering different effects

The problem is that Nintendo did not have the PS4 and 720 in mind when they were making the WiiU; it seemed as if all they were focused on is cutting into the third party pie of current gen games.

It might work to their advantage if Sony really wants to bleed out the PS3 for as long as humanly possible without a major jump (and if the 360 recuses in the same manner). But for the most part, this is probably going to be another Wii scenario all over again. Not "doom and gloom" or anything like that, but another case of Nintendo clearly standing quite solitary in their own home console.

It probably won't be quite as bad as on Wii; I'm sure multiplatform support will benefit at least somewhat from having a modern GPU architecture, but I suspect the lifetime percentage of multiplats received will still end up closer to that of Wii than even GC. (Though I don't think specs are necessarily the primary reason for poor third-party support.)

Nintendo probably could have future-proofed it quite a bit more than they did at a fairly low additional cost, had they not been so set on keeping the size and power draw of the actual console as low as possible. Sigh.

MechaX

Which not to be doom and gloom, is not a good situation for them in the west because their Wii Sports type sales are over.

In the west, yeah, I agree it's not a good situation to be in. It doesn't help that unlike the Wii, there doesn't seem to be any big "hook" for the casual market this time around. But if worst comes to worse and they find themselves in another 3DS scenario, I wonder what they'll end up doing; Western competition is going to put up an infinitely tougher fight than the Vita is doing for the 3DS and securing things like Monster Hunter might be a boon in Japan, but not so much in the west.

It probably won't be quite as bad as on Wii; I'm sure multiplatform support will benefit at least somewhat from having a modern GPU architecture, but I suspect the lifetime percentage of multiplats received will still end up closer to that of Wii than even GC.

Nintendo probably could have future-proofed it quite a bit more than they did at a fairly low additional cost, had they not been so set on keeping the size and power draw of the actual console as low as possible. Sigh.

Multiplatform will work better in the short-term for the Wii U much more than it did for the Wii. I just have to wonder exactly how powerful Sony and MS's next steps are going to be, assuming they can even get those out in a time effective fashion (late 2013-ish); if too powerful, the Wii U will become almost as much of a non-issue the Wii was in terms of third party ports later in its life. Of course, if the other two manage to price themselves out of the gaming market or wait around too long for the Wii U to fully establish itself, this may all be not too much of a worry.

I played through Half Life 2 on this computer, 1,4ghz AMD Duron with Geforce MX440SE with 512kbs of RAM. UNDER pre v1.0 WINE. Everything on ultra low, ran decently.

What does that have to do with anything? Nothing really, but cool story me and thanks for listening.

Top Bottom