• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U has 2GB of DDR3 RAM, [Up: RAM 43% slower than 360/PS3 RAM]

My guess is that developers will sacrifice resolution AND framerate to achieve prettier screenshots, as they have for generations now. There will be no mandate. Microsoft had "720p" in their launch TRC this generation and even they put out subHD games at launch. It's not going to happen.

what is not going to happen? 1080p WILL be standard next gen

Current pc gamers are already playing games at 1080p and have been doing it for awhile. 1080p wasn't normal in 2005 but it is now

Durante

Developers who can't sustain the ludicrous development costs of the games you think will be in plentiful supply on Durango and Orbis?
Bad argument, as always. There are plenty of developers making PS3 games on budgets smaller than some Wii games. I'm sure all of the Gust games on PS3 had a lower budget than Xenoblade.

Just because the upper limit rises doesn't mean you can't use the same budget as before to achieve a significantly better result.

Ydahs

PS4 and 720 will both be well supported for years with big budget, graphically intensive games. Who is going to support Wii U when they're out?

Next-gen engines will be scalable, so the WiiU should be able to run your average game. Though I can't see it getting the big budgets titles without some modifications.

Even then, the current engines running on the WiiU are most likely ported 360 engines of already outdated engines built around outdated hardware. WiiU games will look better and run better when they are actually developed with engines taking advantage of modern architecture and native features not found in older hardware.

Don't forget this interview of Shin'en (GAF thread here) who praise the memory layout of the Wii U, so no, the DDR3 isn't a problem, you have to take into consideration all the rest.
Forgot about that. It does seem to make sense when coupled with this news. It's more about how the WiiU's architecture was put together, not just raw numbers. That was a big focus on Iwata's Ask too.

farnham

Banned
Kinda funny looking back how I was jumped on for downplaying how far Nintendo may go (I said we shouldn't be surprised if the Wii-U may be weaker than current gen. consoles in some respects). At this point, I feel Nintendo fans should probably be happy that Wii-U is at least a noticeable, generational improvement over the Wii, even if it may not ultimately be more powerful than the 360 in the end.

To be honest i would have been perfectly satisfied with 10 more years of wii level tech and bunch of more wii__ titles instead of financial adventures like metroid prime, zelda or pikmin... Sure i love those games but one zelda game is equivalent to ten Wii__ games in terms of manpower and financial investment...

If what epic says is true and budgets for next gen games will double those studios you listed will not survive next gen altogether unless they settle with lesser tech

Epic said: compared to the beginning of last generation. Launch games won't be much more expensive than current games.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
PS3 is good for devs. It is just different.

Let's wait what mayority say first.
PS3 hasn't exactly proven inferior to the 360 or anything, ports have gotten a lot better (although different architecture alone can lead to issues regardless of how good it is, as there are issues between AMD and NVIDIA cards based on what a given developer focused on, ie, money, not tech and know how) and exclusives are plentiful too. Not that anyone here is waiting for the majority of devs to chime in, instead just claiming it's worse than the PS360 for a fact without any dev input considered, just the numbers.

defferoo

wait... how did we get to the 17 GB/s number....

suppose the max clock speed is 1066 MHz so 2133 MT/s b/c it's DDR, with a 16-bits/transfer
2133 MegaTransfers/s * 16 bits/Transfer = 34128 Mbit/s -> 4.166 GB/s?

let me know if i'm way off my rocker here...

if Nintendo configured the 4 chips in parallel so that they run on a 64-bit bus which is the same bit width as the GC/Wii memory controller (quad-channel), it would actually be...

16.66 GB/s

is this how 17 GB/s was reached? by rounding up?

Levyne

Banned
Developers who can't sustain the ludicrous development costs of the games you think will be in plentiful supply on Durango and Orbis?

Well at least on those 2 they could decide to release a game on an established download service like XBLA or PSN instead of deciding how to incorporate a gamepad screen functionality or tread the fledgling Nintendo Network

Perkel

Banned
Yes. You are one of the few GAF posters that has played a PC game.

Fabulous analysis.

I'm just marely pointing that any mid range hardware can play anything in 1080p/60fps this day. In normal console cycle new consoles are able to do what high spec PC do or yet can't thanks to closed platform structure.

720p on new consoles will be super rare thing if at all will be used.

Don't forget this interview of Shin'en (GAF thread here) who praise the memory layout of the Wii U, so no, the DDR3 isn't a problem, you have to take into consideration all the rest.

farnham

Banned
Bad argument, as always. There are plenty of developers making PS3 games on budgets smaller than some Wii games. I'm sure all of the Gust games on PS3 had a lower budget than Xenoblade.

Just because the upper limit rises doesn't mean you can't use the same budget as before to achieve a significantly better result.

And those devs will not release their games on eshop because?

Reiko

Banned
I'm just marely pointing that any mid range hardware can play anything in 1080p/60fps this day. In normal console cycle new consoles are able to do what high spec PC do or yet can't thanks to closed platform structure.

720p on new consoles will be super rare thing if at all will be used.

I think we'll be seeing more 720p/60fps games.

That was as rare as 1080p games this gen.

StevieP

Banned
what is not going to happen? 1080p WILL be standard next gen

Current pc gamers are already playing games at 1080p and have been doing it for awhile. 1080p wasn't normal in 2005 but it is now

Bookmark your own post. It's not going to be standard.

ofcourse 720/ps4 is going to be 1080p.

its going to be pr goal in it self.

1080p was already a PR goal this gen, if you recall. You can't play that card twice.

Erethian

You'd be better of posting what the Trine 2 devs have said because they've actually worked on different hardware. Namely that they are able to get better graphics out of the Wii U than they could the PS3/360.

As of last E3 they were aiming to get the game running closer to how the PC version ran.

Squire

Banned
Their best bet at breaking that perception isn't going to come in marketing, I think, but doing something like what they did with Tekken. Where a company was going to make a more casual game because of their perception of the audience, but Nintendo convinced them otherwise. The other thing is building partnerships, like what they're doing with Namco and Smash, or how they resurrected Bayonetta 2.

Then helping these games with co-marketing efforts. Which Nintendo seems to have been very successful at doing in Japan, but they can't seem to pull it off in the west just yet.

There are also views like "we can't compete with that Nintendo magic" that are deeply ingrained too, which is probably the hardest thing to shake because it's an irrational concept.

Sure. I have to say I don't think Bayonetta is coup. Ditto any partnership with Namco be it for Smash Bros, Tekken, whatever. Bayonetta tanked on two platforms with massive install bases and Namco's games just don't typically do that well the past few years.

But you're right. If they can get that stuff - those discussions - going with the big guys, they'd be in a good place. I don't think they're go-getters in that way unfortunately, but that has more to do with how the company and it's branches are run.

B.O.O.M

I love PG, but they'll be lucky if they survive this next generation. SE - Eidos is gonna go all in on PS4/720. If you think they're even entertain the idea of Wii U ports of Just Cause 3/Thief 4/Deus Ex 4/etc, you're kidding yourself. As for SE Japan... who even cares? Capcom: Ditto SE Japan.

To me personally..Mikami was the reason why I loved Platinum, without him I really don't care. But yea I think they are banking a lot on MGS:R, and Bayo. Time will tell if they end up being a success for them or not

Well I was thinking Nintendo can give some 'incentives' if needed to get a few exclusives on board. I think Japanese companies will be more supportive of the wiiu than the west though. I think the initial sales of the hardware + 3rd party software are gonna be key for future support.

It really will be interesting if both msony reveal their consoles next E3. Then Nintendo will really need to step it up or the other two will need to mess up real bad

Ydahs

Gemüsepizza;44470354 said:
Isn't this just an improved 3DS port? The game has some nice effects, but we don't now how important RAM is here.

Nope.

And they'll probably have some benchmarking software they've built for their engine to actually measure what they can and can't do.

wsippel

Banned
Do we know what the Hynix chip does yet? It's a bit puzzling - the chip certainly looks like RAM, and that's what Hynix does, but the four Samsung chips already add up to 2GB. Why would there be a fifth memory chip? And why would it be mounted on the other side of the PCB?

def sim

They can play that card again when the difference is noticeable. Native 1080p is going to wow console only customers.

Erethian

Sure. I have to say I don't think Bayonetta is coup. Ditto any partnership with Namco be it for Smash Bros, Tekken, whatever. Bayonetta tanked on two platforms with massive install bases and Namco's games just don't typically do that well the past few years.

But you're right. If they can get that stuff - those discussions - going with the big guys, they'd be in a good place. I don't think they're go-getters in that way unfortunately, but that has more to do with how the company and it's branches are run.

Oh I'm not suggesting it's a coup or anything, just the sort of thing they should be doing.

Bumhead

Banned

I never said otherwise, but when people talk about the Wii U being left behind they don't consider that either.

The idea that the Wii U is going to be left to die by Day One Durango and Orbis projects that blow the U away from the moment those systems launch, is in my opinion wrong and a weak argument in itself.

Whether those lower budget Durango and Orbis games achieve "significantly better results" than what can be done on Wii U remains to be seen.

Durante

They can play that card again when the difference is noticeable. Native 1080p is going to wow console only customers.
Especially when they are told long enough and hard enough by marketing to be wowed. Microsoft in particular is really good at that.

Margalis

Banned
Yes, I dunno why none of the GAF experts are commenting on that...

The "experts" on GAF are mostly people who know that 22 is larger than 17. The idea of different memory pools with different characteristics is as meaningful to them as a Farsi cookbook.

Durante said:
Huh? I didn't say that. I was countering the statement that better hardware always requires higher investment across all titles.

The general perception of those low-budget Japanese PS3 games is that they are poor, in part because they seem to be basically PS2 games.

The context of your discussion was the claim that the PS4/720 would have a lot of big-budget AAAA games being made for it - not upscaled PSP Disgaea. Sure, developers can make games for those systems without spending a lot, but they can't make AAAA blockbusters.

A lot of mid-tier games are moving in the direction where they rely more on art style and gameplay and run on pretty much anything.

Erethian

Especially when they are told long enough and hard enough by marketing to be wowed. Microsoft in particular is really good at that.

I've never thought of Microsoft as one to get people excited about rendering resolution. Apple, sure, but not Microsoft.

farnham

Banned
I never said otherwise, but when people talk about the Wii U being left behind they don't consider that either.

The idea that the Wii U is going to be left to die by Day One Durango and Orbis projects that blow the U away from the moment those systems launch, is in my opinion wrong and a weak argument in itself.

Whether those lower budget Durango and Orbis games achieve "significantly better results" than what can be done on Wii U remains to be seen.

Is durango and orbis even announced? Somehow i think we will not be seeing both platforms until 2014 on shelves

SmokeMaxX

Consumers aren't going to want to pay for the costs of the next Xbox/Playstation if they're huge upgrades from the present. 4K requires 4K compatible TVs. For 1080P to look good, it requires 1080P televisions- and as common as you think they are, in a few years a lot of people will still have those 720p systems they bought on black friday this year, last year, next year, etc. Not to mention the cost of the consoles themselves is going to be outrageous. The PS3 is like 6-7 years old. We consider it a steal right now that it's going for $200. The Wii U is old hardware. It's $350. Next gen won't launch for under $499 unless there's something stupid alongside it like proprietary memory cards.

You can quote me next year, 2 years down the line, 3 years down the line- The WiiU is winning this "next-gen" battle and it won't even be close. It will sell far more. It will be more well received (by the general public). And it will be praised for being a machine that appeals to wide audiences at an efficient price point.

Nintendo has four huge advantages:
1) Launched first
2) WiiU Pad
3) Strong software portfolio
4) Has the ability to dramatically reduce price by the time the next Xbox/Playstation come to market. Next year (or the year after) let's say the next Xbox launches at $499. Not too pricey compared to the WiiU right? Wrong. The WiiU Deluxe could easily drop down to $249 or $299 by then granting a massive price difference.

Perkel

Banned
Bookmark your own post. It's not going to be standard.

1080p was already a PR goal this gen, if you recall. You can't play that card twice.

Next gen will be promoted as 4k. 1080p is no brainer.

720p is already ugly as fuck.

btw what is framebuffer for 1080p image with 4msaa ?

StevieP

Banned
Is durango and orbis even announced? Somehow i think we will not be seeing both platforms until 2014 on shelves

Unless the PS4 gets further delayed, they'll both be on shelves at the end of 2013.

Perkel said:
ext gen will be promoted as 4k. 1080p is no brainer.

720p is already ugly as fuck.

Nevermind 1080p standards, but 4K now? Oh GAF... You never cease to amaze me.
Maybe instead of doing measurements of framebuffer size of a 1080p image with 4xmsaa (LOL like you're going to get MSAA next gen... it's going to be blur "AA" filters), you should do some calculations as to how you're going to fit the equivalent to 2xGTX 680's inside a console box to achieve the fillrate you'd need to play a typical AAA game at anywhere near a 4K resolution.

(Side note: just because the display adapter inside the console supports 4K, doesn't mean you won't see a lot of 720p titles. The Wii U GPU supports a 2K resolution, but the vast majority of its titles will be 720p outside the simpler forays)

Durante

The "experts" on GAF are mostly people who know that 22 is larger than 17. The idea of different memory pools with different characteristics is as meaningful to them as a Farsi cookbook.
Yeah, that must be it. Or you know, maybe we already discussed those comments in their own thread, and are now more interested in newly released concrete information than vague feel-good messages by developers.

orioto

Good Art™
I'm confused by all that techy talk. Concretely, if indeed, the WiiU has more ram but slower, hos does that balance the potential result ??

What really matter in the end is the perceived things. Does that balance, and the modern gpu allow for some better perceived visuals than the average PS360 game... Like you know, some 3ds game poly count is incredibly cheap, even compared to psp, but still look better.

I think when you're talking about next gen games. it will e a matter of perception. If you can do something that's "enough", it could do the trick. I'll still take the exemple of some mid next gen games like Battlefield 3 or The witcher 2. Are the console version doing the trick to most people ? Will the WiiU have just the amount of extra ram to make the diminishing return effect effective ?

If you take the Star Wars game, sure there are some crazy models and light (not even sure about the light). A downgrade of that with good enough IQ wouldn't shock most people i think. If things are clean. So will the WiiU be able to offer just enough so kids don't really see the difference from a certain distance in a store ? And will dev matter and try anyway... We'll see.

WiiU Specs threads should be social studies about a person insecurity and complexs.

I don't get how hard is to just disscus the technical aspects of the system while leaving the BS defensive statements outside. The irony these threads always get invaded by people who suposedly don't think technical merits are the important part of videogames.

Regarding the memory, it seems the "slowness" will be offset by the eDRAM. The bad part is that if Nintendo went with cheap DDR3 then more of it should've been included.

$499? lol.
...Microsoft aren't stupid enough to launch a console at $499 entrypoint and if Sony are stupid enough to do it again, they deserve to go down in flames.

Top Bottom