• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

So I am familiar with the loadiine.ovh method to be able to open the homebrew launcher.

How might I go about installing the retroarch emulators to the wii u's menu? Is that a thing?

Joey Ravn

Banned
So I am familiar with the loadiine.ovh method to be able to open the homebrew launcher.

How might I go about installing the retroarch emulators to the wii u's menu? Is that a thing?

Not yet. RetroArch started coming out as RPXes yesterday, so the possibillity of installing it to the Home Menu can't be too far away. I assume they are waiting until the cores are in a more advanced state (they are pretty good right now, but still in a very nascent state). Besides, they are still individual cores, not a single unified launcher. You would still need a sig-patched Home Menu (sysNAND or RedNAND) to use those installable versions, though.

If you have a Virtual Console DS game, you can install Haxchi to boot into any homebrew application of your choice. There's an easy installer available, although it still requires a bit of Python use.

If you're using a sig-patched sysNAND or a RedNAND, you can install The Homebrew Launcher into the Home Menu, since it now supports the RPX format (native Wii U installable file format).

Everything is still a bit user-unfriendly, though. It mostly involves uploading files to your Wii U via wupclient (a Python client) while running wupclient on your console via a modified fw.img, which you probably need to compile yourself. The risk of bricking is there, too. If you follow the instructions, double check everything you do and, above all, know what you're doing and not try to improvise... then you can do pretty cool things with the Wii U right now. But if you're only familiar with the Loadiine.ovh method of homebrew loading, I'd suggest you stick to it until something more user-friendly comes along.

Everything is still a bit user-unfriendly, though. It mostly involves uploading files to your Wii U via wupclient (a Python client) while running wupclient on your console via a modified fw.img, which you probably need to compile yourself. The risk of bricking is there, too. If you follow the instructions, double check everything you do and, above all, know what you're doing and not try to improvise... then you can do pretty cool things with the Wii U right now. But if you're only familiar with the Loadiine.ovh method of homebrew loading, I'd suggest you stick to it until something more user-friendly comes along.

Not quite dude. Brazillian method's pretty common, you just need to grab from NUS using a client, make sure your tickets are good, and then just plonk it on the SD card and install with WupInstaller yMod, No rednand, no wupclient, no nothing.

(Well, for physical titles. Digital only titles need Rednand as well, but otherwise work the same way.)

It's so good to finally be able to keep my wii U collection on the shelf and have a proper digital experience. :)

Joey Ravn

Banned
Not quite dude. Brazillian method's pretty common, you just need to grab from NUS using a client, make sure your tickets are good, and then just plonk it on the SD card and install with WupInstaller yMod, No rednand, no wupclient, no nothing.

(Well, for physical titles. Digital only titles need Rednand as well, but otherwise work the same way.)

It's so good to finally be able to keep my wii U collection on the shelf and have a proper digital experience. :)

I was talking strictly about homebrew, though. The "Brazilian method" is basically piracy, not homebrew.

Don't get me wrong, I've used it extensively to "transform" my physical collection into digital versions. But if you want to use your Wii U for pure, legal homebrew (The Homebrew Launcher, RetroArch, etc.) without using the browser, you'll need to tinker around with system files and Python clients for the time being.

Ah, noted.

Personally I just haxchi'd HBC onto my sysmenu and just loaded everything else on from there. It's not perfect, but it works without *too* much fuss.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Ah, noted.

Personally I just haxchi'd HBC onto my sysmenu and just loaded everything else on from there. It's not perfect, but it works without *too* much fuss.

I coldboot into sig-patch sysNAND, with the HBL installed in the Home Menu and a Haxchi multi-launcher for Retro Launcher/RetroArch.

Hopefully Retro Launcher is updated to RPX next week, so we can finally get rid of Mii Maker as an in-between app in homebrew launching!

Tall4Life

First, is this simply a software modification (if I need to return my Wii U/sell it, will a factory reset get rid of any trace of it)?

And, would I be able to use the same SD card for this homebrew and Nintendon't (though that might not be feasible considering you can only use up to 32 GB SDHC cards for Nintendont).

Opa-Pa

First, is this simply a software modification (if I need to return my Wii U/sell it, will a factory reset get rid of any trace of it)?

And, would I be able to use the same SD card for this homebrew and Nintendon't (though that might not be feasible considering you can only use up to 32 GB SDHC cards for Nintendont).

Yes and yes, I've been using the same SD myself.

Hey guys, hoping you can help. A while back I changed my Wii U's DNS options to the ones recommending in this (or another) Wii U homebrew thread to allow me to use some homebrew stuff (Loadiine, I think). I never did get around to using it, and now I'd like to change back to the original DNS so I can connect to the eShop to buy some games in the cyber sale. Can anyone advise what I need to change my DNS back to?

Thanks.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hey guys, hoping you can help. A while back I changed my Wii U's DNS options to the ones recommending in this (or another) Wii U homebrew thread to allow me to use some homebrew stuff (Loadiine, I think). I never did get around to using it, and now I'd like to change back to the original DNS so I can connect to the eShop to buy some games in the cyber sale. Can anyone advise what I need to change my DNS back to?

Thanks.

Just select "Auto-assign" (or something in those lines) in the DNS settings and you're good to go.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Any news? I'm still using the browser method and don't care for the brazilian hack, but damn I want retroarch... have proper IOSU exploit/s been released? I've fallen behind a bit :)

Platy

Any news? I'm still using the browser method and don't care for the brazilian hack, but damn I want retroarch... have proper IOSU exploit/s been released? I've fallen behind a bit :)

SNES, GBA and CPS2 are already almost perfect on retroarch with the SD browser method....

Joey Ravn

Banned

What you want is Haxchi/Contenthax. Load into CFW with just one DS Virtual Console game. There's an easy installer if you're not experienced in Python and Wupserver.

Personally, I'm using dimok's branched haxchi to coldboot into sig-patch sysNAND and it's fucking amazing. The Homebrew Launcher as an RPX is a godsend.

Dash Kappei

What you want is Haxchi/Contenthax. Load into CFW with just one DS Virtual Console game. There's an easy installer if you're not experienced in Python and Wupserver.

Cool, thanks guys! And yeah zero experience with Python and stuff.

Personally, I'm using dimok's branched haxchi to coldboot into sig-patch sysNAND and it's fucking amazing. The Homebrew Launcher as an RPX is a godsend.

This is like a foreign language to my hears, lol
Where do I find this dimok's fork of "haxchi"?

Tutorial please. I assume this means not needing to use the web browser to execute the hack for homebrew channel?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Cool, thanks guys! And yeah zero experience with Python and stuff.

This is like a foreign language to my hears, lol
Where do I find this dimok's fork of "haxchi"?

Tutorial please. I assume this means not needing to use the web browser to execute the hack for homebrew channel?

Dimok's iosuhax here (needs compiling). Coldboothax tutorial here. But, hey. Let's talk for realsies.

*turns chair around*

This is dangerous stuff. Not intended for the general public. If you're barely starting with Python, wupserver and Wii U hacking tools, I would advice you stay the heck away from coldboothax.

If you ask me, the first thing to do is to get a sig-patched fw.img up and running, so you can enter either RedNAND or patched sysNAND. That will get you used to using wupserver and modifying system files, at least enough to make you accustomed to these tools. Otherwise, you will probably end with a nice Nintendo Brick U...

Platy

Anyone managed to make the neo geo core for retroarch to work ?

The metal slug zips that I try to open are basicaly recognized as folders =/

---

...also I am still on a quest for a DNS that does not fucks up my internet so if anyone has a link with a selection of DNSs I would thank you

Can someone help me out here. I was using Loadiine to play a couple of games and have decided to jump into the IOSUHAX/wupinstaller game. Now my issue is how do I get the Loadiine saves into my system to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Joey Ravn

Banned
OK, I need some help. What arcade RetroArch cores should I be using for each type of arcade? Some load fine with MAME 2003 (Simpsons, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, etc.), some load fine with FBAA (most Capcom fighting games), but neither solution is good for both. And there's no CPS1, 2 or 3 RPX for the time being...

Can someone help me out here. I was using Loadiine to play a couple of games and have decided to jump into the IOSUHAX/wupinstaller game. Now my issue is how do I get the Loadiine saves into my system to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can use Saviine to migrate your saves :)

I posted this in the Nintendon't thread but nobody's commented in there in over 10 days so hopefully it's ok if I ask in here too?

So I FINALLY got myself a 2GB SD card and installed the Homebrew Channel on my Wii U's Wii Channel.

I followed all the instructions I could find, and I have Nintendon't on the SD card. I have a copy of Super Mario Sunshine on there too.

I've gotten SMS to load, but whenever I try to play with the settings in Nintendon't beforehand (like forcing widescreen, emulating memory cards, etc) Nintendon't will hard crash and I need to unplug my Wii U to reset it. Did I do something wrong in the instillation? I can take a picture of the error screen if that helps, it lists a bunch of stuff I don't understand, then says "rebooting in 10 seconds" then says "Rebooting" or something and just hangs there.

Another problem I'm having is Nintendon't itself is 4:3. I found something about WADs and got the Yet Another Wad launcher or whatever it's called, opened it, told it to use the 16:9 WAD but again it crashes my Wii U to the point of needing to unplug it when I try to load it.

So I just went in to SMS without touching anything, it's playing in 4:3 with no memory card, how the hell to I exit a game in Nintendon't? My Wii Remote and GamePad are useless while it's running and the GC/Wavebird has no Home Button, do you have to turn the system all the way off every time you want to switch games or am I missing something super obvious?

Last question, this might be because I keep having crashes but do you have to run through all the installer shit every single time you load up a GameCube game? Like do you have to go into the Nintendon't settings each time and tell it to force widescreen, emulate memory cards, etc every time you load Nintendon't?

If it helps, my current setup is something like

SD Root

-apps
--appstore (doesn't show up)
--hidtovpad (doesn't show up but obviously works since I'm using a Wavebird)
--nintendont (shows up)
--YAWMM_EN (shows up)

-controllers

-games
--Super Mario Sunshine

keys.bin
nincfig.bin

-WAD
--Homebrew Channel HBCB Modified.wad

Sorry if these are really dumb basic questions, I tried to follow all the steps as closely as possible but as relatively easy as it was/is I'm still having a ton of difficulty with it.

EDIT: Okaaaay now when I try to play Mario Galaxy 2 from my Wii U home and it launches into Wii Mode the colors are tooootally fucked. What did I do now!? D:

I've never had the Wii Mode = Magenta and Green screen issue before, I'm worried I fucked something up when trying (and failing) to get the WAD to work that forces 16:9 for the Homebrew Channel... ):

Everything else I own has no problem with the picture except for when the Wii U goes into Wii Mode, and I've tried different HDMI cables too. Did I break my Wii U's inner Wii? ;__;

Platy

OK, I need some help. What arcade RetroArch cores should I be using for each type of arcade? Some load fine with MAME 2003 (Simpsons, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, etc.), some load fine with FBAA (most Capcom fighting games), but neither solution is good for both. And there's no CPS1, 2 or 3 RPX for the time being...

What do you mean RPX ?

http://wiiubru.com/appstore/#/category/emulators

zzCr3PD.png

http://wiiubru.com/appstore/#/app/fbalpha2012_cps2_libretro
cps1
http://wiiubru.com/appstore/#/app/fbalpha2012_cps1_libretro
CPS3
http://wiiubru.com/appstore/#/app/fbalpha2012_cps3_libretro

non cps games goes to either mame or if made by snk, neo geo

Dash Kappei

Dimok's iosuhax here (needs compiling). Coldboothax tutorial here. But, hey. Let's talk for realsies.

*turns chair around*

This is dangerous stuff. Not intended for the general public. If you're barely starting with Python, wupserver and Wii U hacking tools, I would advice you stay the heck away from coldboothax.

If you ask me, the first thing to do is to get a sig-patched fw.img up and running, so you can enter either RedNAND or patched sysNAND. That will get you used to using wupserver and modifying system files, at least enough to make you accustomed to these tools. Otherwise, you will probably end with a nice Nintendo Brick U...

Thanks man.
I think I'll wait for an easy IOSU exploit installer and keep using the browser based HBL for now, also I don't have a 64GB SD card right now that I can use (RedNand needs an SD double the internal memory of your WiiU, mine is a Premium model so 32GB x2 = 64GB as far as I understand). Thanks for everything tho.

I've never had the Wii Mode = Magenta and Green screen issue before, I'm worried I fucked something up when trying (and failing) to get the WAD to work that forces 16:9 for the Homebrew Channel... ):

Everything else I own has no problem with the picture except for when the Wii U goes into Wii Mode, and I've tried different HDMI cables too. Did I break my Wii U's inner Wii? ;__;

All red or magenta + green?
All red is RGB/region related and easily fixable while magenta + green seems an HDCP/handshake issue with the HDMI output.
Do an easy test: change your output / cables for a moment to composite or component cables (the Wii ones are good for WiiU as well) and see if the problem persists.
Then change back to HDMI and see how it goes.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Thank you for the help, but, yikes, don't use WiiUBrU's "appstore" for RetroArch builds. It's terribly outdated. Go straight to the source: Libreretro's Buildbot.

RPX is the native file format used by the Wii U. Those emulators are still in ELF format, which is a format that "piggybanks" on another application in order to be used (in this case, Mii Maker). They are fine if you're not running a signature-patched fw.img, but I am :)

For example, in the latest RPX build, there's a core called simply "fbalpha2012". Is that core good for ALL CPS games, as if the three you linked had been merged into one? Because I'm not having much success in getting it to boot many games :/9

Thanks man.
I think I'll wait for an easy IOSU exploit installer and keep using the browser based HBL for now, also I don't have a 64GB SD card right now that I can use (RedNand needs an SD double the internal memory of your WiiU, mine is a Premium model so 32GB x2 = 64GB as far as I understand). Thanks for everything tho.

Actually, the current method for dumping the NAND dumps everything, even unused space. It doesn't matter if you're dumping a NAND which is filled to the brim with game or one that is completely empty: you'll still be dumping 32GB worth of data, plus 1GB for the vWii NAND. That's why you need an SD card bigger than 32GB, and the next size available is 64GB. If you were dumping an 8GB NAND, you could use a 16GB, but also a 32, 64 or even 128GB card if you so desired.

-----

Oh, well. Ask and ye shall receive. Haxchi 2.0 with easy installer. No Wupserver or Python required.

timnich

I looked through the thread but didn't see a clear answer - can Wii U games be dumped and played from a USB harddrive? I know it's possible to play some games from the SD, but I want to be able to store all my games on a USB drive.

Platy

I looked through the thread but didn't see a clear answer - can Wii U games be dumped and played from a USB harddrive? I know it's possible to play some games from the SD, but I want to be able to store all my games on a USB drive.

Not yet, but soon

Platy

ok but i will ask again

IS THERE ANY WAY BESIDES TUBEHAX AND CHNCDCKSN HAX TO BLOCK UPDATES WITH DNS CHANGE AND STILL USE LOADIINE.OVH ???

Because my wiiu cannot load the site with any of those DNSs on it

Joey Ravn

Banned
Chncdcksn DNS is not coming back:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUHacks/comments/5fcrjs/chncdcksn_dns_server_shutdown/

ok but i will ask again

IS THERE ANY WAY BESIDES TUBEHAX AND CHNCDCKSN HAX TO BLOCK UPDATES WITH DNS CHANGE AND STILL USE LOADIINE.OVH ???

Not for the time being. But you really should invest on Haxchi. There's very little reason to be still be using loadiine.ovh if you can install a permanent offline homebrew booter. Just install Haxchi and take your Wii U offline.

ok but i will ask again

You can set up your own DNS server and filter out all the Nintendo domains. Some homebrewed Wi-Fi routers can do this, or you can keep a PC running doing this - definitely if it's running Linux, probably if it's running Windows - or you can keep something else running doing this - Raspberry Pi comes to mind, but perhaps a sideloading Android device too, I'm not sure - or you can rent out a virtual server in the cloud and put it there if you got the money.

Platy

Zero chance of getting a DS virtual console any time soon ... the dollar/platy money conversion is at an all time high =|

and if i get one no way I am losing kirby canvas course =P

Zero chance of getting a DS virtual console any time soon ... the dollar/platy money conversion is at an all time high =|

and if i get one no way I am losing kirby canvas course =P

Just an FYI if you do get a chance. Kirby Mass Attack is one of the compatible games and it's on sale for only 4.99 right now!

So am I right in assuming, that the way haxchi works is that you replace a DS game with this hack and the game is gone but you have an easy homebrew loader?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Just an FYI if you do get a chance. Kirby Mass Attack is one of the compatible games and it's on sale for only 4.99 right now!

So am I right in assuming, that the way haxchi works is that you replace a DS game with this hack and the game is gone but you have an easy homebrew loader?

Exactly like that. You're replacing the rom.zip file inside the VC title with the custom rom.zip that loads the exploit code.

Edit: It seems we've been bamboozled

This is starting to look like Ryan was just screwing with us. Still have precautions in place (until at least New Year's imho) but it may not be as it first seems. The original source of this image was deleted and other Nintendo developers have stepped up to discount these claims.
I'm sorry for posting this and freaking you all out. I didn't do any research or background checks; instead taking Ryan at face value. I was convinced this was real and wanted to get word out ASAP; which turned out to be the wrong decision.
Again, I'm sorry.
If a moderator could revise this post's title that'd be awesome.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUHacks/..._confirmed_system_update_56_upcoming/daje4ty/

Joey Ravn

Banned
All red or magenta + green?
All red is RGB/region related and easily fixable while magenta + green seems an HDCP/handshake issue with the HDMI output.
Do an easy test: change your output / cables for a moment to composite or component cables (the Wii ones are good for WiiU as well) and see if the problem persists.
Then change back to HDMI and see how it goes.

Oh... my god.

I didn't even consider this, but I have and ElGato capture card for Twitch streaming. I usually have a splitter with my PS4 and Xbone plugged into it but I recently plugged my Wii U into it as well. I know the PS4 (and I assume Xbone) don't work if they're routed through the ElGato due to the HDCP thing, I totally bet that's what's happening when I go into Wii Mode. I'll have to try plugging it straight into my TV to make sure. Wow. Thank you!!!! Ah I hope that's what it is!

But then that brings up the question/issue, can I not stream Wii Mode games via the Wii U through ElGato? That's probably for another thread...

Haxchi v2.0
Ultra user friendly installer, just need to copy one folder to SD and have a compatible DS game, and a way to launch HBL.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/haxchi-v2-0-a-persistent-wiiu-hack.451071/

So with a sigpatched console, could I install a game I have to a USB hard drive and have it work online?

What about Virtual Console?

I read a little about a "brazilian method" that would let you install stuff with a ticket. So does a sigpatched sysnand just boot anything without a ticket?

I know loadiine let you boot stuff on the SD card only and it didn't work online.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So with a sigpatched console, could I install a game I have to a USB hard drive and have it work online?

What about Virtual Console?

I read a little about a "brazilian method" that would let you install stuff with a ticket. So does a sigpatched sysnand just boot anything without a ticket?

I know loadiine let you boot stuff on the SD card only and it didn't work online.

With the "Brazilian method" you can install legit content with legit tickets (though slightly modified) without the need to patch signature checks. You can play online and update the games just fine. They are, for all intents and purposes, legit games.

Virtual Console games require signature patching.

You still need a ticket to install any content, be it legit or not. The difference is that you can use a "dummy" ticket if you're using a sig-patched sysNAND or RedNAND.

------------

Edit: More alternative DNSes to block updates.

Here are some alternative DNS servers to block updates that I've built to replace the deprecated ones. These should be stable and aren't going to be discontinued any time soon, so they should be solid choices.
Set whichever is physically closer as your primary, and the alternate as your secondary DNS server.
ns2.titledb.com, hosted out of the Netherlands:
ns3.titledb.com, hosted out of LA:

I just ran a test and the thing causing my TV to go all magenta/green when I went into Wii Mode was totally 100% my ElGato capture thing. Plugging the Wii U directly into my TV clears all problems. Now I just have to figure out how to make it so I can stream/record the Wii Mode... I imagine that'll need different cables, like the PS3. Thank you SO much Dash for the clue that cracked this mystery!

---

For this DNS thing and the potential looming Wii U update, if I've only modded my vWii do I need to worry about it? I can't imagine Nintendo is still pushing out updates for the Wii side of the Wii U are they? Or would updating potentially bork my system regardless of what I have modded?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
For this DNS thing and the potential looming Wii U update, if I've only modded my vWii do I need to worry about it? I can't imagine Nintendo is still pushing out updates for the Wii side of the Wii U are they? Or would updating potentially bork my system regardless of what I have modded?

Nah, your vWii is safe. The potential update would block the possibility of homebrew on the Wii U side however.

Nah, your vWii is safe. The potential update would block the possibility of homebrew on the Wii U side however.

Oh excellent! So if they actually add worthwhile stuff to this rumored update I can install it and not worry? Righteous.

The only thing I'm interested in modding my Wii U for would be if it's possible to create launchable icons for game backups.

For example, I have VC releases of Super Mario 1-3, World, 64, and Galaxy 2 and I'd love to have every mainline Mario game in one place, which is ALMOST possible on Wii U. I can always download copies of Galaxy and 3D World (and I suppose NSMBWii and NSMBU) but of course, Mario Sunshine is missing. If I could hack the Wii U so that there'd be a SMS icon that when selected would launch vWii/Nintendon't and run a backup of Sunshine off an SD card or external HDD, then I'd hack my Wii U like yesterday. Last week even.

But I assume something like that isn't actually possible?

The Wii U is soooooo close to being the ultimate Nintendo Museum, it seems like every main entry to all their big series are available via Virtual Console or eShop except for GameCube games. Given enough money I'd love to eventually have digital versions of all the Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, etc games in one place but that still leaves out the GameCube games, which maybe someday HomeBrew could fix? I bet if it had sold better they would have added GameCube games to the VC and they'd launch like the Wii games but alas, we don't live in that timeline ):

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
What you described isn't possible.... yet, but I'm sure it will be eventually. The WiiU scene has been moving really fast lately.

Oh excellent! So if they actually add worthwhile stuff to this rumored update I can install it and not worry? Righteous.

The only thing I'm interested in modding my Wii U for would be if it's possible to create launchable icons for game backups.

For example, I have VC releases of Super Mario 1-3, World, 64, and Galaxy 2 and I'd love to have every mainline Mario game in one place, which is ALMOST possible on Wii U. I can always download copies of Galaxy and 3D World (and I suppose NSMBWii and NSMBU) but of course, Mario Sunshine is missing. If I could hack the Wii U so that there'd be a SMS icon that when selected would launch vWii/Nintendon't and run a backup of Sunshine off an SD card or external HDD, then I'd hack my Wii U like yesterday. Last week even.

But I assume something like that isn't actually possible?

The Wii U is soooooo close to being the ultimate Nintendo Museum, it seems like every main entry to all their big series are available via Virtual Console or eShop except for GameCube games. Given enough money I'd love to eventually have digital versions of all the Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Donkey Kong, etc games in one place but that still leaves out the GameCube games, which maybe someday HomeBrew could fix? I bet if it had sold better they would have added GameCube games to the VC and they'd launch like the Wii games but alas, we don't live in that timeline ):

Not quite for Pokemon.
The GBA emulator doesn't properly support the 3rd gen games (though you can patch around it) and the 4th Gen games trigger the Anti-Piracy checks (the 5th Gen games should too theoretically). But that's all patchable.

Top Bottom