• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

Platy

Not quite for Pokemon.
The GBA emulator doesn't properly support the 3rd gen games (though you can patch around it) and the 4th Gen games trigger the Anti-Piracy checks (the 5th Gen games should too theoretically). But that's all patchable.

Black and White are also one of the few games that does not work with DS injection

What you described isn't possible.... yet, but I'm sure it will be eventually. The WiiU scene has been moving really fast lately.
Whenever it becomes possible is when I'll hack my Wii U then :D

Hopefully it becomes a reality!

Not quite for Pokemon.
The GBA emulator doesn't properly support the 3rd gen games (though you can patch around it) and the 4th Gen games trigger the Anti-Piracy checks (the 5th Gen games should too theoretically). But that's all patchable.

Honestly didn't really consider Pokemon since it's a handheld series (or was, Switch will change that). In that case it'd be like the Wii U is the Nintendo Museum for console games and the 3DS would be the Museum for handheld games. Even though I know there's weird stupid overlap with NES/SNES games on the 3DS and DS/GBA games on Wii U. *eye roll*

I wish the Wii U could have done even just a smidge better or lasted a little longer so we could have gotten GCN VC. I've said it before but after the Switch comes out (since it's not backwards compatible) Nintendo should rebrand the Wii U as the Nintendo Legacy and sell it as the way to play all the past games from all of their big properties. They could make bundles on the VC/eShop collecting franchises, Mario NES Collection, Zelda N64 Collection, etc. Maybe people would actually buy them then... do we even know how many Wii U Nintendo has shipped VS sold, or even produced at all?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I just ran a test and the thing causing my TV to go all magenta/green when I went into Wii Mode was totally 100% my ElGato capture thing. Plugging the Wii U directly into my TV clears all problems. Now I just have to figure out how to make it so I can stream/record the Wii Mode... I imagine that'll need different cables, like the PS3. Thank you SO much Dash for the clue that cracked this mystery!

No problem, glad you cleared that out

For this DNS thing and the potential looming Wii U update, if I've only modded my vWii do I need to worry about it? I can't imagine Nintendo is still pushing out updates for the Wii side of the Wii U are they? Or would updating potentially bork my system regardless of what I have modded?

Nope, vWii is safe

Joey Ravn

Banned
Just FYI, the "looming" update has been confirmed to be fake by the faker himself. There's no update planned in the near future, at least not more than a week ago.

n64coder

I know loadiine let you boot stuff on the SD card only and it didn't work online.

I was browsing Ebay completed auctions to get a sense of the current Wii U prices. I came across a listing for an SD card with Loadiine and some games.

So how does this work? The Wii U recognizes the SD card and shows them as games? Or you see the Loadiine app and run that? Wow, that seems to make it as easy as the DS piracy and it's very unfortunate.

Surprised that it got sold and the listing did not get flagged.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I was browsing Ebay completed auctions to get a sense of the current Wii U prices. I came across a listing for an SD card with Loadiine and some games.

So how does this work? The Wii U recognizes the SD card and shows them as games? Or you see the Loadiine app and run that? Wow, that seems to make it as easy as the DS piracy and it's very unfortunate.

Surprised that it got sold and the listing did not get flagged.

You need to use the Loadiine app to boot those game. This method is quickly becoming deprecated by the "Brazilian USB exploit" and the use of patched sysNAND or RedNAND.

Dimok has greatly simplified the process of running a patched sysNAND setup now. Don't need a few.img etc, just a way to launch Homebrew , then you can run an I'm ram patcher, there's even a coldboothax version for use with the haxchi cokdboot setup.

(I'm hoping someone is working on a method to deal with updates since atm sysNAND doesn't work for obvious reasons and updating RedNAND will brick your sysNAND).

What's the preferred Wii Game launcher for the vWii atm ? Also is there one that supports loading from SD card (thinking about getting a 128GB SDXC card and using that for my Wii / GC games) to avoid the 2 USB Slot problem with GX.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Last I heard having 2 USB drives attached (even if 1 was a Wii U formatted one) could potentially corrupt files / saves.

Use UStealth to hide the drive you're using for vWii. USB Loader GX2 is able to detect it, even if stealthed, but the Wii U isn't, so it won't nag you to remove one drive. I've never heard of any corruption with two drives, to be honest.

Use UStealth to hide the drive you're using for vWii. USB Loader GX2 is able to detect it, even if stealthed, but the Wii U isn't, so it won't nag you to remove one drive. I've never heard of any corruption with two drives, to be honest.

Its mentioned in the first post of the USB Loader GX thread (or maybe the Nintendon't thread) but both threads are clearly way out of date, its why I was asking here.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Three questions!

I finished up getting the Homebrew CIOS stuff done last night. I want to setup the vWii to play GCN and Wii backups. Where do I start?

What kind of controller do I need to buy? Can I just get a Wii U Pro controller and be done with it?

I have a WD My Passport and a WD My Book. The Passport is USB powered and the My Book is externally powered. Will the Passport work or do I need to use the My Book?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I managed to have both GC and Wii games on SD using WiiFlow IIRC.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I managed to have both GC and Wii games on SD using WiiFlow IIRC.

Both CFG USB Loader and Wiiflow have the option to boot both Wii and GCN games from an SD card. I don't know why Cyan actively decided not to include SD support for USB Loader GX2. It's clearly the better option out of the three loaders, but it forces you to have an USB slot occupied with a drive (not to mention the need to use UStealth).

UDoneMessdUP

Neo Member
Did anyone else see that Wii U Gamepad that was modified so that it had a Raspberry Pi in it and ran a retro SEGA/Nintendo games emulator?

Madao

Ah OK. So my saves on vWii are never going to be 100% safe? That's fine if so, but I'm just making sure.

i've never had any issues with virtual memory cards and i've been using nintendont for over 2 years and over a thousand hours.

i bet the people who reported that kind of problem had faulty drives or SD cards. i once had a problem and it was the drive i was using.

as long as you have a good SD card, you should be fine. you can backup the virtual memory cards every now and then just in case also.

Amon37

Planning on buying a wii u and a bunch of games for Xmas for my daughter and I. Since I plan on using loadliin to avoid disk swapping and scratched disks, does it matter whether I get a 8gb or a 32gb console? Or does that space not factor in with retail games?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Planning on buying a wii u and a bunch of games for Xmas for my daughter and I. Since I plan on using loadliin to avoid disk swapping and scratched disks, does it matter whether I get a 8gb or a 32gb console? Or does that space not factor in with retail games?

If you don't mind having a white console (black looks better, IMO), get an 8GB Wii U. Use whatever you save by buying that model to get a 1TB external HDD and install your games there instead of using Loadiine.

Seriously, Loadiine's use is getting more and more limited by the hour.

If you don't mind having a white console (black looks better, IMO), get an 8GB Wii U. Use whatever you save by buying that model to get a 1TB external HDD and install your games there instead of using Loadiine.

Do you not need to use Loadiine to get to the point where you can access games on the external though? I've been out for a long time and re-read the OP and the process still seems to be the same? Apologies in advance for my inevitable ignorance being shown up, I'll read back through the thread the minute I post this, it could just take a while, lol

Joey Ravn

Banned
Do you not need to use Loadiine to get to the point where you can access games on the external though? I've been out for a long time and re-read the OP and the process still seems to be the same? Apologies in advance for my inevitable ignorance being shown up, I'll read back through the thread the minute I post this, it could just take a while, lol

Nope. Loadiine has nothing to do with USB loading. It can't even access the drive, just the SD card. You can download the games off the NUS or rip your own with Wudump, then install them using Wupinstaller Y.

Amon37

I would but I already have an external HDD for our old wii, and I don't want her swapping HDD'S just yet.

Curiously which method is that in case I want to use it.

Nope. Loadiine has nothing to do with USB loading. It can't even access the drive, just the SD card. You can download the games off the NUS or rip your own with Wudump, then install them using Wupinstaller Y.

Thank you kind sir. Good stuff. I left the scene before because I had trouble ripping my own stuff, I'll give it another go with Wudump, cheers.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I would but I already have an external HDD for our old wii, and I don't want her swapping HDD'S just yet.

Curiously which method is that in case I want to use it.

IMO, you should move your Wii and GameCube stuff to your SD card and use the USB drive for Wii U games. Loadiine compatibility is severely limited, and since you're already willing to use an SD card, go for the combination that gives you the most advantages.

BrunOz

so with wii u left to die by nintendo, I've decided to try the haxchi method, it is so simple to set up and now I'm playing 3rd Strike at full speed (via Retroarch) on my gamepad, simply amazing, still no pro controller support but all this stuff looks promising for our lovely little machine :)

Joey Ravn

Banned
so with wii u left to die by nintendo, I've decided to try the haxchi method, it is so simple to set up and now I'm playing 3rd Strike at full speed (via Retroarch) on my gamepad, simply amazing, still no pro controller support but all this stuff looks promising for our lovely little machine :)

Could you share your setup for CPS3? I've have a kind spotty time trying to get arcade games to load. Some do, some don't, and the RPX cores are a roulette for me :(

BrunOz

Could you share your setup for CPS3? I've have a kind spotty time trying to get arcade games to load. Some do, some don't, and the RPX cores are a roulette for me :(

I've used the final burn alpha .rpx from here, apart from that I'm also using the snes9x, fceumm (for NES) and genesis plus .rpx and they all worked smooth.

FIX94 just released Wudump, a tool to dump your own games as full Wii U discs (WUDs)!

I'm way out of the loop, so I'm sure this is an old question, but: If I use one of the new hack methods, will I be able to use this to rip my games to an external hard drive and then load them through the Wii U's menu? I know everyone was waiting for external drive support for a while there, but has that now been added?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm way out of the loop, so I'm sure this is an old question, but: If I use one of the new hack methods, will I be able to use this to rip my games to an external hard drive and then load them through the Wii U's menu? I know everyone was waiting for external drive support for a while there, but has that now been added?

Yes, definitely. Rip them with Wudump and install them with Wudinstaller Y Mod.

Yes, definitely. Rip them with Wudump and install them with Wudinstaller Y Mod.
Oh wow, didn't realise HDD loading is a thing already. Anyone playing games off a USB stick yet? I have one of those compact little slim fit USB drives which houses retail downloads I bought from the eShop.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So wait I'm a bit out of the loop, does that mean I can dump my own discs now and install them to my normal external Wii U HDD without messing with the firmware or RedNAND?

Oh wow, didn't realise HDD loading is a thing already. Anyone playing games off a USB stick yet? I have one of those compact little slim fit USB drives which houses retail downloads I bought from the eShop.

Yep. FIX94 has also released wud2app, which converts your WUD dumps into the .app installable format, so you can use it with Wudinstaller.

You do need to edit the install tickets, though. There's a big website that has a collection of them if you're not to handy with hex-editing, but I can't give you the name as that's copyrighted material.

Is there a good way to dump my Wii U NAND / etc for backup purposes if I'm planning to use sysNAND w/ Sig patches rather than REDNand ?

Aaargh. I blew 50 bucks on a 64GB SD card this morning (Samsung SDXC UHS-1). Formatted it to Fat32, put all the files on, and nothing. SD Mount Failed error every damn time. loads up and reads fine on multiple PCs, no errors.

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparrently doing everything from scratch a FIFTH time worked.

Yep. FIX94 has also released wud2app, which converts your WUD dumps into the .app installable format, so you can use it with Wudinstaller.

You do need to edit the install tickets, though. There's a big website that has a collection of them if you're not to handy with hex-editing, but I can't give you the name as that's copyrighted material.

Ah alright, though not sure I'll bother then, this ticket-stuff is a bit iffy for me :/

Aaargh. I blew 50 bucks on a 64GB SD card this morning (Samsung SDXC UHS-1). Formatted it to Fat32, put all the files on, and nothing. SD Card Failed error every damn time. loads up and reads fine on multiple PCs, no errors.

Hmm make sure it has a cluster-size of 32kb and try again. I'm not sure about the Wii U but the 3DS wouldn't read anything but 32kb clusters so it's worth a try.

MacTag

Banned
Retroarch has piqued my interest. What cores are supported and how are they running?

Aaargh. I blew 50 bucks on a 64GB SD card this morning (Samsung SDXC UHS-1). Formatted it to Fat32, put all the files on, and nothing. SD Mount Failed error every damn time. loads up and reads fine on multiple PCs, no errors.

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparrently doing everything from scratch a FIFTH time worked.
The worst part is you paid $50 for a $20-25 card. For $50 you can get a 128GB UHS1 card.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It's not about it being hard, but I know what it means to have the tickets which makes the whole thing a bit morally iffy for me.

Well... If you're dumping your own games, they will come with the tickets themselves. I don't think the process is "morally iffier" than using USB Loader GX for Wii games or installing your games as CIAs on 3DS, but that's just me. You draw the line where you see fit ;)

Retroarch has piqued my interest. What cores are supported and how are they running?

From what I've seen, NES, SNES, Genesis, MAME, CPS1-3, NeoGeo, GB/C, GBA and a few others are running basically flawlessly. Some minor audio glitches here and there, and some compatibility issues with a handful of games, but apart from that, everything's great. Specially considering these nightlies aren't a proper release and should be treated as "alpha" versions.

suikodan

I'm interested in trying this out but my main issue is with online play. My wife loves Splatoon and since the online service is still active, I don't want to cut her off because I put homebrew on the WiiU so how's online with it?

However, I'm sure looking forward to patching Tokyo Mirage and playing some hi-res DS games! Chrono Trigger might finally get a replay after all!

Also, I have VC games of NES and SNES. Can I inject other games into the "emulator"?

Top Bottom