• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

Audioboxer

Thanks ;)

I hope they've left things alone. They didn't bother patching out exploits for the vWii when the Wii U came out despite having a couple of years between Wii firmware version 4.3 and Wii U launch, all the old exploits still worked so they have previous in the "fuck it, we've moved on" department.

Seems to be the case, but I really thought they'd try to protect their baby in Zelda. Looks like the internet has won that fight, again.

ElNino

Seems to be the case, but I really thought they'd try to protect their baby in Zelda. Looks like the internet has won that fight, again.
Well, it could be the reason why they seem to be treating the Wii U version as an afterthought, marketing wise at least.

ElNino

True, but all reports seem to say technically it is solid!
Which is great, considering they have (supposedly) been working on it since before the Wii U launched. I have no doubt that it should run well enough on the Wii U, but I feel that Nintendo decided that the Wii U train had shipped a long while ago and has moved their support over to the Switch.

We (Wii U owners) will get Zelda, and possibly a really good version of it, but they will only really focus on the Switch version going forward, IMO.

Deku Tree

So if the leaked Wii U version of BotW confirms that a Wii U system software update is required to play it, does that confirm that Nintendo is going to brick home-brew with a new final update (until the community un-bricks it)?

Audioboxer

So if the leaked Wii U version of BotW confirms that a Wii U system software update is required to play it, does that confirm that Nintendo is going to brick home-brew with a new final update (until the community un-bricks it)?

Even although the game seems to say system update, word is it is a game update.

Its possible it's a special thing orthogonal to normal updates like DQX had on the Wii. Though 3 Gig is huge.

Edit - Seems like it's a cache of assets for faster loading.

Esque7

So I've encountered an issue and I hope someone here may be able to help. Error code 160-0103 comes up which prevents me from playing any Wii U software downloaded onto the system memory. Basically when I try to load my save files for Wind Waker HD or NSMBU, I get the error. Disc software still works fine, as does VC and Wii software. I imagine I'll have to send my Wii U in to Nintendo to get this fixed, but before I do that, is there any way to remove traces of vWii modification? I imagine Nintendo will not repair anything when they see I have installed the Homebrew channel.

Just quoting myself for a new page. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Audioboxer

Just quoting myself for a new page. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Are you on the latest FW? Google searches for that error seem to bring up some Smash Brothers issue leading to it.

As you're in this topic I'm guessing you run haxchi or some other exploit?

Speaking of Haxchi I'm going to give coldboot haxchi a go today, because, YOLO!

Are you on the latest FW? Google searches for that error seem to bring up some Smash Brothers issue leading to it.

Is that error related to something that installing homebrew can cause? I'm nervous about that now lol. I'm waiting on my SD card, I bought and downloaded Brain Age.

They may just dump the browser, I guess Nintendo won't make that mistake again

Nyoro SF

Modding went pretty smoothly. Later today I plan on buying Brain Age and running the haxchi. Basically I am really tired of my Wii U softlocking when I try to launch HBC from loadiine and I want those days behind me... lol. Maybe because my Wii U is still on 5.4.0.

So, it's safe to go on the shop right now right? I just got a notice I needed to use my special birthday offer before it expired and purchased Captain Toad, I've changed my DNS settings to prevent updates, but wanted to download it really quick.

Kadin

Modding went pretty smoothly. Later today I plan on buying Brain Age and running the haxchi. Basically I am really tired of my Wii U softlocking when I try to launch HBC from loadiine and I want those days behind me... lol. Maybe because my Wii U is still on 5.4.0.
Just FYI, unless something has changed, you need to be on 5.5.1 to install Haxchi.

Dambrosi

Banned
So, now that certain copies of Zelda are out in the wild (as it were), does the game force a new firmware install or not? I'm not willing to sacrifice homebrew ability for one game I'm going to mainly play on Switch anyway.

Platy

So, now that certain copies of Zelda are out in the wild (as it were), does the game force a new firmware install or not? I'm not willing to sacrifice homebrew ability for one game I'm going to mainly play on Switch anyway.

From what I read, it says that will be a system update but actualy download the necessary instal.

The game can be played without an update without any problems

From what I was told from a friend, it can even be played without installing .... if you liked LEGO City Undercover ;D

Dambrosi

Banned
Ah, so all you need is to use the DNS block to disable updates? Good to know.

It's just that my local source has broken street date on the Wii U version, and I was tinking about getting it tomorrow, even though I'm getting a Switch and Zelda on Friday (hopefully). Yeah, that's how badly I'm jonesing for it.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
It doesn't need a system update. I downloaded the game AND 2gb update for it and it played straight away. Still might wanna block internet access though just to be safe. But this is considered you are already on 5.5.1

Esque7

Not at home now and can't remember which exploit I used but haxchi doesn't sound familiar. I am on the latest FW though. Smash Bros works fine for me, but it could still be the cause of the issue.

EmiPrime

Thought I would dump one last Wii U disc before bed: Lego City Undercover.

I've made a big mistake. I should have known given the horrible loading times that the disc structure and file sizes would be ridiculous and it would take 20 times longer than most other games to get dumped.

EmiPrime

Zelda in 2 days! Anyone else going to mod their copy for Japanese audio? This is one thing the Wii U version has over the Switch unless Nintendo backtracked on not allowing mixing and matching of languages.

rizzo0

Just finished modding my Wii U. Curious do I still need any of those files at all on my SD card? I doubt it seeing as how Coldboot is using the Brain age title I bought. I would like to go ahead and wipe the SD card and use it to save games with discapp. Plus I also already installed the Homebrew channel locally.

Platy

Just finished modding my Wii U. Curious do I still need any of those files at all on my SD card? I doubt it seeing as how Coldboot is using the Brain age title I bought. I would like to go ahead and wipe the SD card and use it to save games with discapp. Plus I also already installed the Homebrew channel locally.

I am not sure about the wiiu, but wii needed the homebrew channel on the SD ... it was how you updated it on the first months

Zelda in 2 days! Anyone else going to mod their copy for Japanese audio? This is one thing the Wii U version has over the Switch unless Nintendo backtracked on not allowing mixing and matching of languages.
Do you think that will be possible? How's much audio is there? Just cut scenes or all text?

Boney

Banned
Is there a way to draw more power through the USB to power an HDD with a single slot? Hate having to hunt down for a Y cable and it also means no ethernet

It's beyond me that the Wii could pull it off and nintendo designed this so bad

EmiPrime

Do you think that will be possible? How's much audio is there? Just cut scenes or all text?

Should be. If the necessary files aren't already on the US/PAL disc somebody will upload the Japanese audio files from the Japanese release. There have been much more ambitious (and IMO pointless) Wii U game mods than this, "undubs" are usually fairly straight forward especially if there aren't any video files.

TunaLover

Not at home now and can't remember which exploit I used but haxchi doesn't sound familiar. I am on the latest FW though. Smash Bros works fine for me, but it could still be the cause of the issue.
Does the issue happen without the SD card inserted?

Tohsaka

Should be. If the necessary files aren't already on the US/PAL disc somebody will upload the Japanese audio files from the Japanese release. There have been much more ambitious (and IMO pointless) Wii U game mods than this, "undubs" are usually fairly straight forward especially if there aren't any video files.

It will probably be possible, but I saw someone say that the various audio languages don't all have the same number of files, so it likely won't be a simple matter of switching the English voice files for the Japanese ones unfortunately.

Opa-Pa

Any idea of how to force language for USB backups installed via WUP installer? For some reason my game keeps defaulting to english even after changing my console's language.

Esque7

Does the issue happen without the SD card inserted?

Yea, just tried it. Also forgot I have USB loader gx installed as well. I think I'll just end up deleting the channels and send it off to Nintendo. Worst that can happen is they'll just send it back to me unchanged.

Vic_Viper

Thinking about installing homebrew on my Wii U I ordered from Nintendo (refurb). Does BotW force an update that will cause me to not be able to install the homebrew channel?

What is the current Nintendo Wii U firmware? If I were to set up a new Wii U would I be able to use CFW on the update im forced to download at that time or is there a way to install certain fireware off an SD?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Thinking about installing homebrew on my Wii U. Does BotW force an update that will cause me to not be able to install the homebrew channel?

What is the current Nintendo Wii U firmware? If I were to set up a new Wii U would I be able to use CFW on the update im forced to download at that time or is there a way to install certain fireware off an SD?

There's no forced update by Breath of the Wild.

The latest system version is 5.5.1, from January 2016. You can literally update your Wii and install everything CFW-related in that update. In fact, I don't think anyone is working on backporting anything to previous system versions.

Vic_Viper

There's no forced update by Breath of the Wild.

The latest system version is 5.5.1, from January 2016. You can literally update your Wii and install everything CFW-related in that update. In fact, I don't think anyone is working on backporting anything to previous system versions.

ok awesome! Thanks.

Can you still connect to the internet/Nintendo servers and download dlc and/or digital games, game updates though without issue while running CFW?

And do people use the SD card to play backed up games or can you use a external hard drive or USB flash drive?

Joey Ravn

Banned
ok awesome! Thanks.

Can you still connect to the internet/Nintendo servers and download dlc and/or digital games, game updates though without issue while running CFW?

And do people use the SD card to play backed up games or can you use a external hard drive or USB flash drive?

Yes, you can connect to the eShop and play online without any issue. Using a DNS server to block potential updates is still recommended, though. That would keep you safe in terms of updates, but it would also block access to the eShop (you can turn it off whenever you need to buy something and turn it on again later).

You can still use Loadiine to play games from an SD card, though the "Brazilian USB method" is highly recommended. It can be used to install games on a USB drive (or internal memory), though you would need a signature-patched system (like Haxchi) to install VC games, injected games and DLC. Check this guide for a more detailed explanation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUHacks/comments/5lb5pr/flimflam69s_551_iosu_kernel_exploit_guide/

Marcoos

Hoping someone can help, setting up my SD card to install homebrew using the github guide. All good so far, apart from one thing I'm unsure about.

Copying over loadiine to my SD card, the zip file structure doesn't match what the guide says, there's some files in the root of the zip, where do they go? Also the www\loadiine folder does that go in wiiu\apps ?

Any advice appreciated. I don't want to wreck my Wii U!

EmiPrime

It will probably be possible, but I saw someone say that the various audio languages don't all have the same number of files, so it likely won't be a simple matter of switching the English voice files for the Japanese ones unfortunately.

Ah too bad, might take a little work then. At least the interest should be there to get it done fairly quickly!

Yes, you can connect to the eShop and play online without any issue. Using a DNS server to block potential updates is still recommended, though. That would keep you safe in terms of updates, but it would also block access to the eShop (you can turn it off whenever you need to buy something and turn it on again later).

You can still use Loadiine to play games from an SD card, though the "Brazilian USB method" is highly recommended. It can be used to install games on a USB drive (or internal memory), though you would need a signature-patched system (like Haxchi) to install VC games, injected games and DLC. Check this guide for a more detailed explanation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WiiUHacks/comments/5lb5pr/flimflam69s_551_iosu_kernel_exploit_guide/

I recommend this method too. Brazilian method is the superior way in my opinion. I was under the impression it was quite a bit of work to get going, I was wrong, lol.

Joey
helped me a few months back with some great tips and advice when I was looking into getting my disks onto the system, he knows the score. Much appreciated man.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I recommend this method too. Brazilian method is the superior way in my opinion. I was under the impression it was quite a bit of work to get going, I was wrong, lol.

Joey
helped me a few months back with some great tips and advice when I was looking into getting my disks onto the system, he knows the score. Much appreciated man.

No problem, duder. The more people enjoy the goodness of Wii U homebrew, the better :)

Audioboxer

Yea, just tried it. Also forgot I have USB loader gx installed as well. I think I'll just end up deleting the channels and send it off to Nintendo. Worst that can happen is they'll just send it back to me unchanged.

I don't think they'll poke around. Usually when hardware comes in they just reflash it with the latest FW by default before running diagnostics.

Vic_Viper

So how hard is the Brazilian method and is that the only mod I need to install to run games off my SD card/USB?

Basically all I want to do is be able to run games off a flash drive or HDD (whatever ends up being cheaper).

What is the differnce between Loadiine, Brazilian method, and Disc2App?

Vic_Viper

Is there another guide anywhere you recommend for the Brazilian USB Method? It looks like Flimflam removed it form his guide and replaced it with Disc2App.

This all seemed alot easier on the Wii lol.

Opa-Pa

Is there another guide anywhere you recommend for the Brazilian USB Method? It looks like Flimflam removed it form his guide and replaced it with Disc2App.

This all seemed alot easier on the Wii lol.

I followed this one myself yesterday and it was pretty simple and easy to follow: https://hackinformer.com/2016/12/12/wiiu-rednand-cfw-tutorial/

The only thing the guide got wrong is that to access Homebrew launcher with the mocha-converted DS game, you have to hold A, and not B like the guide says.

I followed the sysNAND steps, by the way. Also used the WUP Installer y Mod instead of the version in the guide.

Top Bottom