• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

Hmm, no issues with heat/power?

Nope, none of the ones I have use more than the 500mA that Wii U USB 5V puts out, and I've not run into any heat problems either.

You just might need a SDXC one for >32GB.

I played around with it for my eshop games but I have kind of a lot so I switched back to a hard drive for now but I have a 200GB microSD to usb for Xbox 360 shop downloads and a smaller one for my Wii backups and both work very well.

Zojirushi

Then you literally only need an sd card of any size and a pc.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ddd-wiiu-title-dumper.418492/

Download the server software for pc or Mac.

Insert a fat32 enabled sd card.

Load the loadine website on wii u

Choose appstore from the drop down menu

Load appstore when the option appears

In the app store, download the homebrew launcher, and ddd

Reload the browser and loadine website and leave the drop down menu on homebrew launcher

Load ddd

Load the server software on pc or Mac from command shell (titledumper.exe /vol d:insertfoldernamehere)

Enter your pc ip address on the wii u screen

Press X

Load whatever game you want to dump.

Game will look like it's starting, but it's actually dumping the game. Check progress on your pc/mac. Will take hours.

You could also replace ddd with the wud dumper in the app store and use any usb drive with more than 25 gb of free space.

Damn, thank a bunch man.

Was gonna try this right away then I noticed I have no way of inserting an SD card into my PC (because who needs SD cards right?). So gonna buy a reader first ;)

D.Lo

Nope, none of the ones I have use more than the 500mA that Wii U USB 5V puts out, and I've not run into any heat problems either.

You just might need a SDXC one for >32GB.

I played around with it for my eshop games but I have kind of a lot so I switched back to a hard drive for now but I have a 200GB microSD to usb for Xbox 360 shop downloads and a smaller one for my Wii backups and both work very well.
Thanks, yeah with SD cards having dropped dramatically I was hoping to get rid of the HDD, especially since it needs two USB ports.

i'm running games off usb ext from 10 yrs ago. the older games run fine but when i try running yoshi wooly world or even tumblestone. i get wii u error code 160-2713, Not receiving enough power, please use a Y-Cable etc.. is my ext hd not getting enough power? the hd has its own power source.

sleep mode is disabled

Damn, thank a bunch man.

Was gonna try this right away then I noticed I have no way of inserting an SD card into my PC (because who needs SD cards right?). So gonna buy a reader first ;)

The steps I listed do not require owning an SD card reader. Everything you need installs from the Wii U browser to the SD card, then the games are dumped from the Wii U to your PC via network (wired or wireless). (the insert fat enabled SD card is for the Wii U, it never has to touch the PC)

Kilau

Two quick questions I didn't see information for in the OP:

1: Can I use this to dump Wii games so I can use dolphin? (My Wii is all packed up)

2: Can I dump my Wii U disc games to my currently connected USB hard drive so I don't have to have the disc in the drive?

Thanks

Young Magus

Two quick questions I didn't see information for in the OP:

1: Can I use this to dump Wii games so I can use dolphin? (My Wii is all packed up)

2: Can I dump my Wii U disc games to my currently connected USB hard drive so I don't have to have the disc in the drive?

Thanks

Yes

For those using the SNES9X core in Retroarch, does anyone know how to get MSU-1 patched games to work? I've seen posts mentioned over at GBATemp that it seems you work outside a Save State glitch or music being too low. I've tried and failed getting it to work on my Nvidia SHIELD with the Android version of Retroarch and its BSNES core. Anyone have any luck here?

Also, I'm still getting used to the way Retroarch works but there seems to be no working hotkeys available in the FBA cores? You know like setting up a HP+HK button or a 3P button.

pestul

Question about WUD installing (I've dumped for CEMU). I'm not 100% clear on the install to USB hard drive part. I already have a Wii U formatted HDD with games installed to it. Is it clear that it will erase this drive if I try to install a WUD to it? Or is this drive (with content on it) already okay to run the installer from SD Card (install wud)?

Thanks.

EDIT: Took a chance on it and it worked fine on pre-existing Wii U-formatted drive. The only bummer is not being able to partition it now for my Wii games as well (I'll have to look into dumping my saves and doing it). I love saving my BoTW install disc the extra wear and tear. The loading times seem pretty decent too compared to some other numbers I've seen posted.

Can someone help me with playing a EU game on a US console? I already dumped the game but I don't really know where to go from here.

I tried google before posting.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Can someone help me with playing a EU game on a US console? I already dumped the game but I don't really know where to go from here.

I tried google before posting.

Assuming you're using Haxchi/CBHC, you can just install the game using a WUP Installer (Y, GX2, etc.) as you normally would. Haxchi has a built-in region-free feature.

If you're not using Haxchi (which you should), you need to modify your system settings to allow region-free content to be used. You can use RegionHax to do so.

But, seriously, you should just use Haxchi. It's much easier and safer.

Assuming you're using Haxchi/CBHC, you can just install the game using a WUP Installer (Y, GX2, etc.) as you normally would. Haxchi has a built-in region-free feature.

If you're not using Haxchi (which you should), you need to modify your system settings to allow region-free content to be used. You can use RegionHax to do so.

But, seriously, you should just use Haxchi. It's much easier and safer.
I'm not currently using it. Now I have a project for after work. This is the one that requires a DS game from e shop right?

Can I have homebrew, GC, Wii and Wii-U all running from a single hard drive? There's a ton of info out there and it's kinda hard getting it all together.

Skyzard

Banned
^Yeah...how?

WUP installer by Crediar

C R E D I A R

rec raid

call me paranoid...

ckkGJAv.jpg

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Man, Zelda got me on the train of getting my Wii U dusted off, and that's just reminded me... Nintendo should be criminally culpable for requiring the gamepad for almost all system-activities. Insanity.

I wish that gamepad was a bit sleeker. Ironically I am loving the Wii U even more post Switch launch - it has the library of games we want and that Pro Controller is just so great on games like Zelda BOTW.

Platy

Anyone knows what I have to put on Haxchi's config.txt to instantly go to homebrew channel instead of having to hold A ?

I am pulling my hair out getting the homebrew launcher exploit working.

1) I've double checked the files and structure (the three files are in sd:/wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/)
2) The same SD card I'm using works in vWii mode so I know the system can read it.
3) I've tried a drawer full of SD cards
4) I'm using guiformat.exe to format as FAT32, and have tried other formatters
5) There are no other partitions on the SD card

The message I get after the screen turns white and the Wii U logo appears in the lower right hand corner is fsopenfile failed.

Any ideas?

1) I've double checked the files and structure (the three files are in sd:/wiiu/apps/homebrew_launcher/)
2) The same SD card I'm using works in vWii mode so I know the system can read it.

The message I get after the screen turns white and the Wii U logo appears in the lower right hand corner is fsopenfile failed.

Any ideas?

Format to 64k cluster size?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
You only need:
  • Haxchi: to have a permanent and reliable way to boot Homebrew Launcher, and boot system menu with signature patches*
  • disk2app: to dump your games in app format
  • Wup installer Y: to install your dumps into digital

*Signature patches allow dump/install games from another region and VC games. To enable sig patches just boot haxchi channel and hold B button on the Gamepad (no other controller is supported ATM), it will get you back to the system menu from now you can boot your games from other region, and VC.

Sweet. Thanks, this post helped me rip my Nintendo Land to the home screen, so easy! And now I have a backup, if only there was a way to back up my freaking save data! I tried Saviine but couldn't get it working.

Is there an easier way to rip save files rather than setting up a server on your PC? My computer wasn't having it, I guess I was doing something wrong. Is that the easiest/only method right now?

EDIT: I take it back, Saviine isn't too bad at all. Got it working, so neat!

dmix90

Any ideas?
What are you using when connecting SD card to PC? I didn't have card reader and used old ebook reader as middleman to format and upload files to card. Could not get it working with Wii U homebrew at all even though it worked just fine everywhere else. That was until i borrowed normal card reader and did a proper format procedure.

What system version?

What are you using when connecting SD card to PC? I didn't have card reader and used old ebook reader as middleman to format and upload files to card. Could not get it working with Wii U homebrew at all even though it worked just fine everywhere else. That was until i borrowed normal card reader and did a proper format procedure.

Both with a card reader (same I use for vWii) and the SD slots directly inside of my computers (have tried with more than one computer and with Win10 and WinXP).

A friend is bringing over a card on Saturday that works on his. If it doesn't work on mine I'm doing a factory reset plus redownloading my digital games plus redoing my vWii and Nintendon't etc. Will take days.

TunaLover

Get disc2app

Use that to create a file of the disc to install on your wii u.

Run sigpatches by holding the B button during Haxchi boot up.

Then use WUP installer Y mod
Fixed, out of region install requires signature patches, otherwise wup installer will throw you an error.

Tregard

Soothsayer
So I've got the homebrew running and I just want to rip the games as wud files so I can use them in Cemu, but DDD seems to be ripping the entire thing and I don't know how to either convert that to a wud file or just extract a wud file instead, help please?

So I've got the homebrew running and I just want to rip the games as wud files so I can use them in Cemu, but DDD seems to be ripping the entire thing and I don't know how to either convert that to a wud file or just extract a wud file instead, help please?

Ddd rips the files on the disc, WUD is just container for those. Either way will work in CEMU.

has there been any homebrew released so that you can play the ds games with a wiiu pro controller?

I've been hoping for years that someone would patch an emulator, on any platform, for analog control on Mario 64 DS. Basically when the analog thumbstick stayed centered for a while it would register as a touch in the center of the touchscreen to register a new bounding circle, then movements of the thumbstick would cause the touch point in the bounding circle to move correspondingly.

Of course, this is WAY beyond what you are asking for, and probably not possible with the VC emulator.

Platy

Can all DS games be injected into the Wii U's VC package? Can Japanese games with fansubs?

Not ALL because not all emulators are made to work with all games. Games more complex like Okamiden are not available last time I tried.

That said, I played a fan translation of Jump Ultimate Stars without a problem

Top Bottom