• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

Joey Ravn

Banned
Cheers for the replies. With Wii U being a dead platform now, am I right in thinking Nintendo have stopped patching and the homebrew scene will only be more stable from here on out (ala Wii)?

They released 5.5.2 not a month ago, but you are completely safe if you were on 5.5.1 before. Haxchi is pretty much patch-proof at this point, and Coldboot Haxchi is 95% safe as well.

There's very little reason to use a Wii for homebrew if you have access to a Wii U.

Clutchman

Neo Member
They released 5.5.2 not a month ago, but you are completely safe if you were on 5.5.1 before. Haxchi is pretty much patch-proof at this point, and Coldboot Haxchi is 95% safe as well.

There's very little reason to use a Wii for homebrew if you have access to a Wii U.
Coldboot Haxchi is the only way to go. I just wish there was a way to have all Wii, WiiU, and GameCube games all on the same HDD and accessible at one time.

HotHamBoy

I have 5.5.1 and use HBC but I'd like to set up CFW.

I was looking at guides and holy shit it's pretty complex and time-consuming.

Still on the fence about trying, should I?

I've hacked many a Wii but this is on another level for me.

Xbro

Do you have a DS game? One that you won't use?

If you do, I don't see why not. It's really not that long of a process(though this comes from someone who installed a CFW on a 3DS before it was streamlined).

Really you should ask yourself what you would like to do with a CFW before doing anything.

HotHamBoy

Do you have a DS game?

Do I need a legit-purchased DS game...?

Oh, nevermind, I see why I would.

I mean, I have no problem with buying one but I wouldn't want to buy one if I can't go through with the CFW setup - i have a DS.

The bigger issue is eShop access because I don't want to update.

Is there are way to purchase and download from the eShop and circumvent the update? I want that Pikmin DLC from My Nintendo, too.

TunaLover

Do I need a legit-purchased DS game...?

Oh, nevermind, I see why I would.

I mean, I have no problem with buying one but I wouldn't want to buy one if I can't go through with the CFW setup - i have a DS.

The bigger issue is eShop access because I don't want to update.

Is there are way to purchase and download from the eShop and circumvent the update? I want that Pikmin DLC from My Nintendo, too.
Maybe you are looking at wrong tutorials for what you need, haxchi has a built in cfw, in short you only need a DS game to install haxchi, and the homebrew launcher inside your SD, you don't have to "setup" a cfw yourself.

To enter eShop while using blocking dns you use nnu patcher.

Platy

I've hacked many a Wii but this is on another level for me.

Why exactly do you need CFW ?

I personaly don't think the trouble is worth just to avoid clicking on haxchi icon to play retro games =P

This thread is not super active, but hopefully someone can answer my question. Picked up a used system that has 5.3.2 on it. Should I update to 5.5.2 and use the latest hack, or is there no downside to just sticking on 5.3.2?

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
I would imagine you'd be better off applying the hack then updating, as 5.5.2 blocked the main vector for the hack i believe.

Platy

If you install haxchi you are fine.

Also there is a more complex way to install haxchi on newer firmware. It is MUCH easier and safe and fast to do on older firmware

And there is no downside of staying on that old firmware

Producer

Wii is superior for playing older games and gamecube/wii games look better on wii than wii u, but it definately is convenient to have everything on wii u.

Clutchman

Neo Member
Wii is superior for playing older games and gamecube/wii games look better on wii than wii u, but it definately is convenient to have everything on wii u.
I didn't have a Wii but could it output progressive scan? Man the GameCube was ahead of its time, I love being able to play games in such clarity at 420p through the WiiU!!! A majority of the games have progressive scan and it's look pretty rad on my 55inch Sammie.

Uhh... new problem. Every method of hacking now seems to be tailored for 5.5.0 and above. I can't seem to find a guide for 5.3.2 and the newer methods are leaving me stuck in the initial stages.

TunaLover

Uhh... new problem. Every method of hacking now seems to be tailored for 5.5.0 and above. I can't seem to find a guide for 5.3.2 and the newer methods are leaving me stuck in the initial stages.
Just update to 5.5.1 through a game, BotW have it. Don't update online, or you will end on 5.5.2 which is very hard to hack.

Feffe

There seems to be some progress injecting Wii games into the "Virtual Console" wrapper

http://gbatemp.net/threads/semi-working-nfs2iso2nfs-convert-nfs-to-iso-and-back.455812/page-13

Best case scenario it's possible to inject Nintendont and we can play GC games with the Gamepad

Middle case scenario it's possible to inject CC games and we can play Last Story and the likes with the the Gamepad

Worst case scenario we just have good-looking forwarder to Wii games in the the Wii U Menu

Oh, this is something I wanted for Wii U since day freaking one!

Here's a tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-on-wii-u-virtual-console-injecting-games.483007/

I'll probably try it during the week. Nintendont on the gamepad sounds great, and finally* we'll be able to have every single game for every Nintendo home console up to the Wii U in the same place!

On the Wii U side, I mean. We could already access the Wii side for homebrew.

You have to be kidding me!

I literally just set up Wiiflow yesterday as I thought this was never going to happen. Very glad to see this working though.

Is there a simple guide to injecting DS games? I have everything I need I believe. I ripped my copy of Pokemon Soul Silver and I'm trying to inject it into Yoshi's Island DS. I have no idea what I'm dong and the only tutorial I can find is the one on GBAtemp but its not easy to follow if you don't know what any of the terms mean.

TunaLover

Bummer, The Last Story doesn't support off TV play, it ask to connect a nunchuk or classic controller =/

EDIT: Actually it works!, you need to leave the gamepad loose sync by leaving it alone without pressing any button for about 2 minutes, then it will recognize it as a CC.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Quick question that may or may not have been answered.

I was trying to play Mario Maker online but can't connect because I've blocked communication on my console (I've got the Homebrew channel instealled on the Wii side). If I update my console, will I lose the soft mod I've done?

E: I think I'm on 5.5.0 and hacked using Indiana Pwns if that helps.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Quick question. Is there any way to boot Nintendont directly from the Wii U menu, or at least from the Homebrew Launcher? What I want is skip having to use the Wiimote to enter USB Loader GX or Nintendont from the vWii.

Platy

Quick question that may or may not have been answered.

I was trying to play Mario Maker online but can't connect because I've blocked communication on my console (I've got the Homebrew channel instealled on the Wii side). If I update my console, will I lose the soft mod I've done?

E: I think I'm on 5.5.0 and hacked using Indiana Pwns if that helps.

Updating only changes WiiU side.
And if you have Haxchi installed it only gets harder to install it again

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Updating only changes WiiU side.
And if you have Haxchi installed it only gets harder to install it again

Ok - so should I install Haxchi before enabling network communication again?

E: Also, is there a way to get on the eShop without updating since I'll need one of those games installed? I don't want to accidentally update my console, ha.

Quick question. Is there any way to boot Nintendont directly from the Wii U menu, or at least from the Homebrew Launcher? What I want is skip having to use the Wiimote to enter USB Loader GX or Nintendont from the vWii.
There was a HBL program on Wii U which booted Homebrew Channel on vWii (HBL2HBC?), but it was supposed to actually boot arbitrary ID'd vWii channel if you messed with config. You could try to combine that with a forwarder channel on vWii that would just boot Nintendont or something.

HotHamBoy

Why exactly do you need CFW ?

I personaly don't think the trouble is worth just to avoid clicking on haxchi icon to play retro games =P

With the new developments above I def want CFW.

Problem is, I'm on 5.5.1 and I need to buy a legit DS game but I have the DNS set up to block the update and I can't access the eshop.

Joey Ravn

Banned
With the new developments above I def want CFW.

Problem is, I'm on 5.5.1 and I need to buy a legit DS game but I have the DNS set up to block the update and I can't access the eshop.

You can use NNU Patcher to temporarily access the eShop without having to take down your DNS settings. Just run it through the Homebrew Launcher and you're set. It will block updates again once you restart your Wii U.

Then you can delete the update folder on the Wii U via FTP and it allegedly will block any future updates. It makes sense to do it once you have CBHC installed, though.

HotHamBoy

You can use NNU Patcher to temporarily access the eShop without having to take down your DNS settings. Just run it through the Homebrew Launcher and you're set. It will block updates again once you restart your Wii U.

Then you can delete the update folder on the Wii U via FTP and it allegedly will block any future updates. It makes sense to do it once you have CBHC installed, though.

Not sure I understand the second part of your post. So NNU Patcher allows the update to download? Will it auto-install?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Not sure I understand the second part of your post. So NNU Patcher allows the update to download? Will it auto-install?

NNU Patcher allows you to enter the eShop on lower firmwares than the current one. AFAIK, the Wii U doesn't pull the update on its own while you're using the console. It only auto-downloads updates while its on sleep mode. So you use NNU Patcher, enter the eShop, buy your DS game, download it, restart your Wii U and everything related to DNSes and upgrade prevention should be exactly as it was before using NNU Patcher. I've used a few times to avoid having to get rid of the DNS settings back when I was using them and it works just fine.

The second part of my post refers to something I haven't tried, but supposedly works. You can get rid of the folder to which the Wii U downloads system updates, so it won't be able to pull them from the Internet, even without DNS settings configured. That's only useful once you have CBHC set up, though, since you'll probably want to update to 5.5.2 to access the eShop normally if you have CFW already installed. Nevermind that part, focus on getting the DS game to install CBHC first.

tl;dr: Use NNU Patcher to enter the eShop on a lower firmware. Download a DS game. Restart your Wii U. Install CBHC. Once that's done, you are free to update to 5.5.2.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Worst case scenario.... even vanilla 5.5.2 is hackable now. By all means take the steps to keep your 5.5.1. It's safer. But there are seemingly no dead ends to hacking the Wii U unless Nintendo releases another firmware.

NNU Patcher messes with the DNS subsystem, effectively enabling access to eShop's interface and update loading. However, it is possible the actual eShop download for newly purchased content will still be blocked by pending unsuccessful update download. When this happened to me when I was downloading some games, I have been advised to pull out the power cable at that point (?!), wait ten seconds, plug it it in, and enter Download Management as soon as possible, preferably using Quick Start - and surprisingly, this worked, despite everything else but the DNS proxy evaporating.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I honestly have never had any issues with updates and automatic downloads, but of course YMMV.

Nevertheless, 5.5.2 can be easily exploited using Haxchi, so there's no need to be so afraid of it. The Wii U is not the Vita.

Edit:

It sounds like this is exactly what I want. I've been tinkering with my setup and once I'm in USB Loader GX, I have no need for wiimotes, since it's compatible with the Wii U Pro controller. If I could boot directly into it from the Wii U I'd be set.

But I finally tried your suggestion and... I can't install it :/ It's telling me I need sig patches to install the app through WUP Installer GX (or Y), but I'm already using CBHC. Do you know why I could be having this issue?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Joey if you want too autoboot USB Loader

https://gbatemp.net/threads/cbhc-mod-coldboot-haxchi-cfw-mod.453971/

I installed the the Wiiflow forwarder and replaced Wiiflow boot.dol with USB Loaders Gx one on the the SD card

I spent a good chunk of my afternoon trying to get either WUP Installer GX or Y Mod to install forwarders to no avail. I ended up using a similar solution to what you suggested: a custom Haxchi forwarder that points to the HBL2HBC app.

It's a bit longer to boot than a straight-to-USBLoaderGX solution, but at least I don't have to touch the wiimotes if I'm not planning on playing a Wii game.

TunaLover

It sounds like this is exactly what I want. I've been tinkering with my setup and once I'm in USB Loader GX, I have no need for wiimotes, since it's compatible with the Wii U Pro controller. If I could boot directly into it from the Wii U I'd be set.

But I finally tried your suggestion and... I can't install it :/ It's telling me I need sig patches to install the app through WUP Installer GX (or Y), but I'm already using CBHC. Do you know why I could be having this issue?
Try updating your wup installer, maybe boot mocha just to make sure you have sig patches in place.

Top Bottom