• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

Joey Ravn

Banned
Try updating your wup installer, maybe boot mocha just to make sure you have sig patches in place.

I was running the latest version of both WUP Installer GX2 and Y Mod. But trying Mocha is worth a shot. Will report back.

Edit: And... of course it worked first try. Don't ask me why, but Mocha did the trick. Thanks!

I was running the latest version of both WUP Installer GX2 and Y Mod. But trying Mocha is worth a shot. Will report back.

Edit: And... of course it worked first try. Don't ask me why, but Mocha did the trick. Thanks!

I think Mocha is applying more patches by default for some reason. I would really like to know more about this, but as is I... don't.

Maybe we should make a new gaffer-organized hackery wiki. I remember the Wii thing being pretty good back when it was fresh - I wasn't on NeoGAF back then, heh. But it's Wii only, and I think it's outdated now.

TunaLover

I think Mocha is applying more patches by default for some reason. I would really like to know more about this, but as is I... don't.

Maybe we should make a new gaffer-organized hackery wiki. I remember the Wii thing being pretty good back when it was fresh - I wasn't on NeoGAF back then, heh. But it's Wii only, and I think it's outdated now.
I don't know the internals work, but some apps only works with either mocha or haxchi cfw, for example ftpiiu only works with haxchi cfw, and ftpiiu everywhere only works with mocha, both apply the same patches so it has to do in how they hook with the app.

Joey Ravn

Banned

I don't know the internals work, but some apps only works with either mocha or haxchi cfw, for example ftpiiu only works with haxchi cfw, and ftpiiu everywhere only works with mocha, both apply the same patches so it has to do in how they hook with the app.

The thing is I was able to install other content with WUP Installer. It was specifically a few forwarder channels that were giving me problem. Well, at least it's done :)

EmiPrime

Is there any chance of shaders coming to Wii U Retroarch? Are there any consoles ports that have them?

Please LMK if I should get my hopes up.

HotHamBoy

Okay, so i have Mocha and I've been running it via the web exploit, SYSNAND.

How can I get it permanent, or at least have the system auto-boot into it?

I still don't have haxchi. I will buy a DS game eventually and install it but it's not something I want to spend money on right now.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Okay, so i have Mocha and I've been running it via the web exploit, SYSNAND.

How can I get it permanent, or at least have the system auto-boot into it?

I still don't have haxchi. I will buy a DS game eventually and install it but it's not something I want to spend money on right now.

If you want autoboot, you need Coldboot Haxchi. You have to get a DS game if you want any of that.

TunaLover

FIX94 said:
So, today @pedro702 did a couple more tests for me and we got the gamepad data read out using the same fw.img as I already used the other day (the crc32 e2f27e9b one).

First you need this simple patch:
offset 0x1478A from 0x6818 to 0x2000
Set drc_use to that value needed for the gamepad classic controller emu to work, you can still use homebrew as you normally would in vwii mode, using a real wiimote with that patch.

Then there is this patch that moves down the gamepad data area low enough so wii apps can actually read it out with memprot and ahbprot still enabled:
offset 0x119A0 from 0x138BA004 to 0x13210000

And lastly, just to give a quick thing using the gamepad in wii homebrew I threw this demo together.
https://mega.nz/#!hlZlxCyQ!igqT2_jUXQnIHVwE2MCA9UVhLRUxBRT4HIfgn5_77AY
It just prints out all the buttons/sticks on screen, source is included.

While it is not much at least it shows that yes, you CAN use the gamepad outside those official wii games

Off TV play nintendont incoming? :p

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-on-wii-u-virtual-console-injecting-games.483007/page-44#post-7572033

BrunOz

great news for Wii U owners with CFW/Haxchi, Nintendont Wii VC Inject is up, still not fully optimized but it finally begins.

I'm so happy right now, going to Nintendont straight from the Wii U system menu, just booted up Bloody Roar Primal Fury to play with the gamepad :D

I guess soon we will be able to have all of our GC/Wii/Wii U library stored inside one HDD, amazing!

opoth

Banned
great news for Wii U owners with CFW/Haxchi, Nintendont Wii VC Inject is up, still not fully optimized but it finally begins.

I'm so happy right now, going to Nintendont straight from the Wii U system menu, just booted up Bloody Roar Primal Fury to play with the gamepad :D

I guess soon we will be able to have all of our GC/Wii/Wii U library stored inside one HDD, amazing!

GOAT Nintendo console status reconfirmed.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Hot. Damn.

Works great in Super Mario Sunshine, though you have to turn off your Wii U manually since exiting the game crashes the console for now.

Nice! I still like to boot up Fortune Street as well as Just Dance 3 (hey, don't judge!) in Wii Mode but it sucks that I have to switch hard drives and was hoping for something like this. Can't wait until it's optimized and easy to add any title.

Joey Ravn

Banned
You can now exit games cleanly using the Home button with the latest build.

Of Nintendont or of the launcher? Because I used the two files included in the post linked above. I'm reading through the whole thread at GBATemp right now, but I haven't come across that version you mention. Could you please post a link to it?

Edit: Got it. But I'm getting analog drifting now. The camera on Super Mario Sunshine is constantly pulling to the right and away from Mario :/

opoth

Banned
Of Nintendont or of the launcher? Because I used the two files included in the post linked above. I'm reading through the whole thread at GBATemp right now, but I haven't come across that version you mention. Could you please post a link to it?

Edit: Got it. But I'm getting analog drifting now. The camera on Super Mario Sunshine is constantly pulling to the right and away from Mario :/

Yeah, seems like a known thing. Rome wasn't built in a day, hopefully it's sorted soon. The Wii U has made a lot more progress in the homebrew department in the past year than I ever expected.

JimmyF

This is amazing guys! playing my favorite GC game on the gamepad!

kfykBM2.jpg

TunaLover

Wii U is turning into a dream emu machine in its last days :p
It's even possible inject the gamecube iso into the Wii U formated hdd, the process is cumbersome though, should be more straight forward in the coming days, that's for sure.

Young Magus

Yo I heard that homebrew is different between wii and vwii. That if I get something NOT formatted for vwii then I brick my system.

Where do I find the homebrews that will work with vwii?
And whats best wii game ripper out there?

Yo I heard that homebrew is different between wii and vwii. That if I get something NOT formatted for vwii then I brick my system.

You need to avoid IOS versions for the original Wii - homebrew builds are the same for both systems. Assuming you follow setup for getting USB loaders working you don't have to get anxious about bricking if you don't do anything involving IOS. Even if you DO brick, it will only be the vWii portion of the system, not the entire console, and again this is only happens if you install a Wii IOS into the vWii and attempt a system update/overwrite the home menu IOS.

.dol and. elf files (the regular homebrew programs) are the same unless otherwise noted. You have to be cautious about stuff installed to NAND, which is usually limited to cIOSes and "channels" like forwarders (Homebrew Channel is safe). Priiloader is one thing that you should straight avoid on vWii.

Ripping Wii discs is a little annoying because cIOSes tend to prefer an unpacked format (wbfs) while Dolphin prefers complete disc images (iso). All self respecting cIOS game launchers (so today that would probably be GX Loader) can rip to the first format, CleanRip is standard for second. There are tools on PC to convert from second to first if you plan using both, though so far I just ripped discs twice.

miserable

It is now possible to install forwarders on the Wii U menu for GameCube games:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-on-wii-u-virtual-console-injecting-games.483007/page-75#post-7583295

Essentially, a "GameCube Virtual Console". It still uses Nintendont to boot the games, but you can play them on the Wii U Gamepad, with the Wii U Gamepad and you don't need to access the vWii to play them.

that is fantastic.

does Nintendont have proper widescreen patching so games don't look stretched on the Gamepad?

Hey guys, what's the safest way to update GAMES while on 5.5.1? I know there's a system update and I have the whole DNS block up preventing the system from updating but I don't know if there's a proper way to update yet.

Platy

This might be a dumb question but is it possible to run GBA game images on the Wii U using the official gamecube emulator/firmware?

Nintendont people specifically mentioned that Game Boy Player is not something they will ever do.... so only if there is another wii side gba emulator ... but I doubt

Pokemaniac

This might be a dumb question but is it possible to run GBA game images on the Wii U using the official gamecube emulator/firmware?

I'm pretty sure the Game Boy Player includes actual GBA hardware. I don't think that'd logistically work with a Wii U unless you somehow managed to make some sort of adapter to plug it in via USB.

I'm pretty sure the Game Boy Player includes actual GBA hardware. I don't think that'd logistically work with a Wii U unless you somehow managed to make some sort of adapter to plug it in via USB.

You can emulate the GBA on the Wii U , the Gameboy Player relies on GameCube hardware though (there's a hi speed port on the bottom of the GameCube that hasn't been included since).

There's not a lot of reason to go through the work either, since a good GBA emulator can do everything it could anyway.

The GBA Link relies on hardware that is present on the Wii but not Wii U. Sadly even Dolphins support is pretty limited but IIRC Dolphin / mGBA was showing promise

Pokemaniac

You can emulate the GBA on the Wii U , the Gameboy Player relies on GameCube hardware though (there's a hi speed port on the bottom of the GameCube that hasn't been included since).

There's not a lot of reason to go through the work either, since a good GBA emulator can do everything it could anyway.

The GBA Link relies on hardware that is present on the Wii but not Wii U. Sadly even Dolphins support is pretty limited but IIRC Dolphin / mGBA was showing promise

Well of course the Wii U can emulate GBA games, but what I'm getting at is that trying to do so with the Game Boy Player (which I think is what they were getting at unless there's a different official emulator for GameCube that I'm not aware of) isn't going to work since the Game Boy Player didn't use software emulation. AFAIK, it contains most of the same hardware as an actual GBA.

Well of course the Wii U can emulate GBA games, but what I'm getting at is that trying to do so with the Game Boy Player (which I think is what they were getting at unless there's a different official emulator for GameCube that I'm not aware of) isn't going to work since the Game Boy Player didn't use software emulation. AFAIK, it contains most of the same hardware as an actual GBA.

Yeah, the GB Player was a plug in hardware device that used a special hi speed data port to communicate with the GameCube. You'd need to put together some kind of special USB adaptor and then emulate whatever (likely proprietary) communication protocol it used.

I'm just failing to see any even potential use for this on a system that can emulate the GBA. It doesn't integrate with GameCube games in anyway IIRC.

Pokemaniac

Yeah, the GB Player was a plug in hardware device that used a special hi speed data port to communicate with the GameCube. You'd need to put together some kind of special USB adaptor and then emulate whatever (likely proprietary) communication protocol it used.

I'm just failing to see any even potential use for this on a system that can emulate the GBA. It doesn't integrate with GameCube games in anyway IIRC.

GBA games could actually trigger the rumble in the GameCube controller, so there's that. Seems like something that could plausibly be added to a software emulator, though.

Crazy how far injecting Wii into Wii U VC has gotten in such little time. Double Dash, Brawl, Melee, Mario Party 7, GamePad + Wiimotes + GCN Adapter Support, & automated scripts.

Automated scripts? I assume this is for configuring certain options for Nintendont and whatnot? Got an easy tutorial you can link to? I'd love to try this out and see if I can get it working with Fortune Street and a couple other Wii games because those screens look HOT!

Automated scripts? I assume this is for configuring certain options for Nintendont and whatnot? Got an easy tutorial you can link to? I'd love to try this out and see if I can get it working with Fortune Street and a couple other Wii games because those screens look HOT!

Probably referring to this: http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/unread , which takes care of almost everything you could want to do with WiiVC.

Any good guides for ripping Wii U games to use with Cemu? The one on the Cemu wiki is kinda vague in some spots.

It used to be super easy to rip them through the network without needing anything besides a small memory card to install the homebrew launcher. Now you have to go full on and install Haxchi which includes buying a nintendo DS title on the eShop if you're on the latest firmware. Otherwise you have to rely on the janky browser exploit in the latest firmware which can be quite frustrating.

https://wiiu.guide

Follow this and you'll be set.

Top Bottom