• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/apps/games/stuff]

Kadin

*snipped*
This was an incredibly helpful guide. I'll just add that when you're loading the new DS game, it can take a bit before it loads. I was about to hard reset my WiiU thinking it had locked up. Just give it some time.

edit: With regards to changing the DNS settings, I wasn't able to get into the eShop with the manual settings. What exactly can happen when left to auto-detect? I have it set so nothing updates automatically but I know that's not enough. I can manually change the DNS back to to auto when I need to go into the eShop, but I'd prefer to have one setting just for ease of use.

edit2: read further back in the thread so it looks like I'll need to change it on-demand. No biggie.

Siphorus

Been playing around with this and got my own internal server working, just wish you could load from USB or network to play games. My poor 4gb SD card is way to small. I would need buy a new one for this unless and remove all the padding on my library then it'll maybe fit on the new one :(

My guess is the hyper visor is causing trouble with USB loading?

I don't think it would save though right? Or do Wii U supports save states on n64

Save states work beautifully. After spending the whole afternoon setting this up because I'm a moron, it's working perfectly thus far:

2oALcOt.jpg

This is the best day ever, this motherfucker is glorious.

Kadin

Anyone else have issues with the Homebrew Launcher not launching after you've exited a game and gone back to run HBL a second time? Keeps locking up on the white screen with the WiiU icon in the bottom right corner.

I'm assuming there is no external HDD support yet and just SD card support? Is there a size limit for SD cards supported in the Wii U? I'll probably just wait for external HDD support to be added, assuming it's possible to be added down the line.

Kadin

Hi there,

Does anybody know, what the error FSGetMountSource failed means?
I had a similar issue (SD mount failed) and it was because my 64GB microSD wasn't formatted properly. I believe someone had your specific issue earlier in the thread.

Can I keep using that original NDS dump and just throw different srls in it and make new IDs?
I just tested this and it works fine. Kept everything the same but simply replaced the .srl in the zip with the new .nds renamed as it should be.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anybody know how I can download that loadiine nightly build if every mirror and site I try tells me it's a virus, and won't let me?

Boney

Banned
Am I doing something wrong that when I close a game it gets stuck trying to go back to the home menu.

Save states work beautifully. After spending the whole afternoon setting this up because I'm a moron, it's working perfectly thus far:

2oALcOt.jpg

This is the best day ever, this motherfucker is glorious.
Oh shieeeeeet. That's awesome!!

Mystical Ninja must've been my most rented game ever

Got everything up and running well within a few short minutes after reading through this thread (special thanks to OP, Rich, KingWool!).

I've been playing around with the few DS games I had extracted, and while it's not effortless to get them working like many might be used to with Wii emulators, it's certainly nothing to complain about.

...except for one issue I just encountered: the Wii U freezing on the "Wii U Menu" loading screen. I jumped between three-four different games just testing compatibility/playability, and I noticed returning to the home menu dragged on a little bit longer than it should have one time; games also took a while to load, as noted in this thread and expected. Now, though, it's completely frozen.

I assume it's just a coincidence (or just as likely, I did something wrong)? Everyone is saying it can't cause crashes or bricks get you banned or anything, so I'm hoping it's not incidental and I'm just an idiot. Anyone else have a hard freeze that required a console reset?

Kadin

...except for one issue I just encountered: the Wii U freezing on the "Wii U Menu" loading screen. I jumped between three-four different games just testing compatibility/playability, and I noticed returning to the home menu dragged on a little bit longer than it should have one time; games also took a while to load, as noted in this thread and expected. Now, though, it's completely frozen.

I assume it's just a coincidence (or just as likely, I did something wrong)? Everyone is saying it can't cause crashes or bricks get you banned or anything, so I'm hoping it's not incidental and I'm just an idiot. Anyone else have a hard freeze that required a console reset?
Yup. Read up a bit, I asked the same thing as I also experienced this.

Yup. Read up a bit, I asked the same thing as I also experienced this.

Thanks-- I had stopped refreshing the page while messing around with all of this, and obviously by the time I was done testing out DS games quite a few posts had accumulated. My bad.

Kadin

Thanks-- I had stopped refreshing the page while messing around with all of this, and obviously by the time I was done testing out DS games quite a few posts had accumulated. My bad.
All good. Sorry if my response was curt, wasn't intended.

KingWool

Banned
Yanno it's sad. Here we all thought Nintendo did a crap job at emulating their games; when all it was, was their crap settings in place. What a god damn waste.

Kadin

So now all of a sudden I'm getting the 'FSGetMountSource failed' error as well. Been playing a few DS games and then went in and changed the "RenderScale" from 1 to 2 in the .json file and now it won't load the HBL. This is weird. Gonna change back and see if that correct the issue. But I'm not even getting to the launcher so I can't see how that's the issue.

edit: took the card out (brand new 64GB Patriot microSD) and hooked up to PC. At first it didn't detect it, then it did. Didn't change anything and put back into the Wii U and works fine. wtf

-shadow-

What in the flying fuck, how is mystical ninja working, is it on the VC?
ROM injection. So basically just swap the official ROM with whatever you want yourself.

Edit: guess I might just aswell ask here:

Just wondering. But can anyone post screenshots of some games with and without the filter turned both on (as default) and completely turned off through image upload (it that's possible). Really curious to see that.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Whoa...I'm playing Dragon Quest IX on my Wii U in hi-res...never thought that would happen. It runs great too.

dmix90

Insane. Wii U is an ultimate Nintendo machine now :O

Native GameCube games with GameCube controller - Check
Native Wii games with native controllers - Check
Improved DS emulation - Check
Virtual Console games - Check
WiiU games - obviously Check :)

I think there is also N64 emulator for vWii mode?

Beast :D

ZombAid82

I had a similar issue (SD mount failed) and it was because my 64GB microSD wasn't formatted properly. I believe someone had your specific issue earlier in the thread.

Hmm, didn't find anything here.
Tried formatting again, this time not fast, unzipped all the data directly to the SD card, and still the same error: FSGetMountSource failed :-\
Even tried different SD card.

hlhbk

Looks like I will try this today. I gotta run out and get a SD card big enough to hold my games. Wish you could use an external USB drive like on the Wii.

Just to verify if you have a game that runs off a disc you are able to dump it and then launch without using the DVD right? My DVD drive has been making funky noises for a couple weeks and I am scared its going to die soon.

Anyone?

mattiewheels

I guess this would be an appropriate place to ask something I've always wondered : what is up with the DS Phat in the Wii U's DS emulator? Seems like a sick joke, ha.

rekameohs

Banned
Any way to change what the buttons do in DS games? I'd like to switch the ZL/R and L/R buttons. It'd also be neat to map the right stick to ABXY. That would make FPS like Metroid Prime Hunters interesting.

Kadin

Hmm, didn't find anything here.
Tried formatting again, this time not fast, unzipped all the data directly to the SD card, and still the same error: FSGetMountSource failed :-\
Even tried different SD card.
Well I just had my first occurrence with that issue as well. Did a second format with the tool posted in here and it's working again - for now.

Out of curiosity, what kind of card are you using?

Kadin

I

Both sdhc, but the first one was a micro in a adapter.

Same error...
I was reading earlier on GBATemp that this specific error meant something about the files being incorrect in the sense that they're not what the system is expecting. I'll try to find it again and link it to ya.

But again, I had the same issue and changed nothing except taking it out reformatting it and copying back the same files and it worked. So yeah, I'm pretty stumped myself.

edit: Here it is.

ZombAid82

I was reading earlier on GBATemp that this specific error meant something about the files being incorrect in the sense that they're not what the system is expecting. I'll try to find it again and link it to ya.

But again, I had the same issue and changed nothing except taking it out reformatting it and copying back the same files and it worked. So yeah, I'm pretty stumped myself.

edit: Here it is.

I think I'm just too stupid to get it, tried everything as posted here and everywhere. Downloaded from post #128 which is for the newest fw 5.5.1 I think, got everything in the root/wiiu/apps/ and then the three loaders, but nothing.
Tried both cards again...

RetroMG

So I got it working (yay!) and injected 999 for a replay before Zero Time Dilemma comes out (yay!) but the game puts both screens on both the TV and the gamepad, and puts them both in such a way that they are tilted 90 degrees. (Boo!)

Is there maybe a super simple guide to tweaking the .json file to fix this?

Ugh, I know I just saw the flash card I used to rip Bahamut Lagoon for the translation patch around here somewhere. Of course now would be the time it vanishes; might just order a new one at this rate.

Robin64

So I got it working (yay!) and injected 999 for a replay before Zero Time Dilemma comes out (yay!) but the game puts both screens on both the TV and the gamepad, and puts them both in such a way that they are tilted 90 degrees. (Boo!)

Is there maybe a super simple guide to tweaking the .json file to fix this?

Just press ZR and pick a new screen setting from the VC menu. The emulator has a lot of options built in and one of those should be more to your liking.

Edit: Ah yes, as the post after this says, you need to make sure you're not using the first version of Brain Training that went up for free. You need to grab the new one that's up if you haven't.

Top Bottom